Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Status Of Irish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

astrofool wrote: »
    Getting rid of silly state translations would also be good.

Absolutely, and while they're at it they could reduce all the Irish translation staff at the European Parliament, that way we'd probably save a few million, which would be very welcome in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Not when you realise there are a hundred and one other factors, the points race and the fact that English is a higher status language to name a few.

LOL, you are going off on a separate tangent entirely, try to stick to the point.

You asked "fairer in the opinion of whom?"
    I answered "clearly, by the figures which prove that when optional, uptake plummets".
    How does your above comment relate to 'fairness'.
    Dont know what you are getting at here?

Try to read your own questions before you read my answers;
    You asked is the idea that making Irish optional seen as fairer when applied across the board, or just selectively?

Quite obviously, it is applied across the board, based on your comment that uptake plummets when optional. How can that be selective? Is your comment selective? No.

What do you deduce from that then?
    Why must it be optional?
    More to the point, why must it be compulsory?
    Evidence shows that many students do not desire to learn it and you yourself commented (first comment in this post), that it is a lower status language compared to others.

No, Think about it, Do most people want their children to learn a second language? Yes
    When learning a second language is made optional in England, figures collapse
    No contradiction, Simple if you think about it.

When did the parents come into it? You just completely move the goalposts.
    Are we discussing what the pupil wants or what the parents want?

At Secondary level, a pupil is entitled to make their own choices.

Regarding the collapse in figures - that doesn't mean much unless your sole aim is to have children learning languages.
    Uptake in language plummets, but uptake in another subjects must correspondingly rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Drop compulsory Irish for Secondary schools. It does nothing for the Irish language, and most importantly for the career & life prospects* of our kids.

Instead, make Science, Engineering or Computing compulsory for all, thereby creating a generation that can compete with the likes of (for example) South Korea for tech skills.

I genuinely cannot see a valid argument against this.

*Unless you get a job pointlessly translating EU documents in Brussels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

How could there be a devestating collapse? Hardly anyone speaks it on a daily basis. There's nothing to collapse.

The number of learners. The issue of the effectiveness of the Irish course is not the topic of debate. Again, I dont deny the Current System is not working, I am arguing that Irish being Compulsory is not the cause of the Failure(Which has often been suggested).

I posted the link to CnaG's Education Policy as I believe that as a whole is the most effective solution, A Major part of that is the reform of how the language is tought. It staying compulsory is another necessary part of the solution.
    So people can spend the classtime on subjects they want/need to study. So the resentment is taken away, so the people who control the language programme are forced to reform it. If they knew compulsory status was to be phased out in 5 years they'd have to do something

Surly your first point applies equally to English For the LC, I cant think of a single thing, Other than Quotes from Shakespear, that is learned on the LC English course, that wouldent be learned anyway by doing all the other subjects through English

Resentment? Do you really think there are many who resent the principle of a compulsory subject? Or is it more likely they resent the poor curriculum and teaching methods that mean they were essentially wasting their time?

If they resent Compulsory Education then surely that would apply equally to Maths and English?

Again, Why do you think it is possible to make it optional but not reform it? Why do you think it is necessary to make it optional to force reform? It dosent make sense, If one can be done so can the other.

I told you I don't have a study but are you denying the majority of people sitting junior cert Irish could pass leaving cert ordinary?

Yes.

That is not a personal choice and you know it

What?

For leaving cert they shoudl be optional, yes. Haven't seen English and Maths bow out to a devestating collapse in the UK have you?

No, The reason why is delt with(Perhaps Vaguely) in the Article.
    But then I disagree anyway, I think English(After some much needed reform) and maths should stay compulsory along with Irish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My counter-argument is that to compete in the IT Sector (which Ireland does very well at present) technical knowledge is essential. This expertise is usually achieved during the course of one's career on an ongoing basis with no assistance from the government.
    However, what is also needed is a sense of pride in IT work, especially when interacting with nationalities from across the world. I'm comfortable both with this and with my cultural heritage and that includes the Irish language which distingushes people from this island.
    (slightly OT, it is fun sneaking in code comments written is pidgin Irish during inspections)

• Advertisement

It needs reform first. The curriculum is woefull, the teaching methods are woefull. I would love to see Irish survive but it will only through love and it wont through compulsion in its current form.

The experts would disagree:

If anyone still thinks that love of a language or interest in it can
    ever be the motivator which causes masses of people to learn it or
    maintain it in use, Paulston is unequivocal: ‘…it is always for
    reasons other than appreciation of the language per se.’2

there is zero point in continuing its compulsory nature if its going to continue being taught in its current way.

I agree, But if it is reformed, Which it must be, then keeping it Compulsory is not a hindrance but a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Would be totally in favour of dropping Irish at secondary school level, I absolutely hated Irish when I was in school, and I don't think anyone should be forced to take a subject the hate. Its too easy to find an excuse to not like school when you are a teenager without the state handing you a reason like making you do Irish.

Its a pointless subject for alot of people when they are a teenager and when they become an adult they can take it back up without difficulty if it becomes important to them.

Secondary schools should strive to make students enjoy or perhaps even love the learning experience, this wont happen when they are forced to do a subject which they may veiw completely pointless.

Some people have a natural inclination towards languages, others towards music, others towards science, making teenagers do something they don't want to do, when there are other subjects they may prefer makes them dislike the subject all the more, no matter what way it is thought.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    LOL, you are going off on a separate tangent entirely, try to stick to the point.

You asked "fairer in the opinion of whom?"
    I answered "clearly, by the figures which prove that when optional, uptake plummets".
    How does your above comment relate to 'fairness'.

Fairness dosent come into it, Practical concerns like the points race etc are what will determine it.
    Try to read your own questions before you read my answers;
    You asked is the idea that making Irish optional seen as fairer when applied across the board, or just selectively?

Quite obviously, it is applied across the board, based on your comment that uptake plummets when optional. How can that be selective? Is your comment selective? No.

I asked if Irish being optional is Fairer than it is now dose that mean that making English Optional would also be fairer.

More to the point, why must it be compulsory?
    Evidence shows that many students do not desire to learn it and you yourself commented (first comment in this post), that it is a lower status language compared to others.

It is a lower status compared to English. As are all Languages.
    I wouldn't want to learn Irish as it is now, That has nothing to do with it being Compulsory, That is why the course needs to be reformed.

When did the parents come into it? You just completely move the goalposts.
    Are we discussing what the pupil wants or what the parents want?

At the very beginning when I claimed that the majority want Irish to be Persevered and promoted, Unless you think that the education system should change to suit the whims of each new year of students to pass through it.

At Secondary level, a pupil is entitled to make their own choices.

In some areas, not all.

Regarding the collapse in figures - that doesn't mean much unless your sole aim is to have children learning languages.
    Uptake in language plummets, but uptake in another subjects must correspondingly rise.

Yes, but Languages are an important are to promote. I dont see the benifit in languages falling and whatever is seen as an easy subject to get points in to riseing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The number of learners. The issue of the effectiveness of the Irish course is not the topic of debate. Again, I dont deny the Current System is not working, I am arguing that Irish being Compulsory is not the cause of the Failure(Which has often been suggested).

I posted the link to CnaG's Education Policy as I believe that as a whole is the most effective solution, A Major part of that is the reform of how the language is tought. It staying compulsory is another necessary part of the solution.

This solution idea. People not speaking Irish isn't seen as a problem by most. If it was they'd be learning Irish.
    Surly your first point applies equally to English For the LC, I cant think of a single thing, Other than Quotes from Shakespear, that is learned on the LC English course, that wouldent be learned anyway by doing all the other subjects through English
    '

I think Junior cert English is sufficient for English skills. Leaving cert English is a literature study not learning a language.
    Resentment? Do you really think there are many who resent the principle of a compulsory subject? Or is it more likely they resent the poor curriculum and teaching methods that mean they were essentially wasting their time?

I know so. Everyone in school used to say "what's the point in doing this class" and resented the fact it was compulsory
    If they resent Compulsory Education then surely that would apply equally to Maths and English?

Not to the same extent because they see more of a point to those subjects.
    Again, Why do you think it is possible to make it optional but not reform it? Why do you think it is necessary to make it optional to force reform? It dosent make sense, If one can be done so can the other.

Because I believe the people in charge are elitist snobs who would prefer to have a minority of people speaking fluent Irish and studying higher level(which is extemely difficult) than everyone speaking it to a reasonable level. They're afraid they'll have to dumb down the higher level subject if less people do the subject.
    '
    Yes.

I don't believe you. Have a glance at the papers and you'll see there's very little difference. Plus they go out of their way to make sure everyone passes.
    What?

Saying "people want the language promoted" is not a choice. I meant a personal choice on which subjects they want to do at leaving cert level.
    No, The reason why is delt with(Perhaps Vaguely) in the Article.
    But then I disagree anyway, I think English(After some much needed reform) and maths should stay compulsory along with Irish.

Well this is the reason Irish students can't get into many chemistry based courses in the UK. Having 6 subjects because 3 of em are compulsory means you can't go into the finer details in specific subjects where necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Irish is being spoken about in the same way as foreign languages.
    It is not a foreign language.
    It is OUR language.
    If it dies, part of us dies.
    We already speak a foreign language - English.

Can't find the exact quote or remember who said it but it's an old one and is along the lines of a nation should guard it's language better than it's borders - to not be able to speak your own language is to forever wear the badge of the invader.

The Welsh language is thriving because Welsh people see it as part of who they are. Wish we could be the same.:(

• Advertisement

Would be totally in favour of dropping Irish at secondary school level, I absolutely hated Irish when I was in school, and I don't think anyone should be forced to take a subject the hate. Its too easy to find an excuse to not like school when you are a teenager without the state handing you a reason like making you do Irish.

I assume you feel the same for English and Maths. Students hate them too.
    Its a pointless subject for alot of people when they are a teenager and when they become an adult they can take it back up without difficulty if it becomes important to them.

Indeed it is, But that is due to poor curriculum and teaching methods that fail to achieve results, Not Its Compulsory status, Would you concede that it would not be pointless if people came out with a solid working knowlage of the language.
    Secondary schools should strive to make students enjoy or perhaps even love the learning experience, this wont happen when they are forced to do a subject which they may veiw completely pointless.

Indeed, that is why I favor a major reform in how Irish I tought, However I ask again Would you concede that if the subject is reformed and succeeds in making students competent in the language that the perception of pointlessness would disappear

Some people have a natural inclination towards languages, others towards music, others towards science, making teenagers do something they don't want to do, when there are other subjects they may prefer makes them dislike the subject all the more, no matter what way it is thought.

The evidience suggests otherwise, If a language is tought properly then people will be able to learn it, The Gaelscoileanna have proven that. There is no reason the same cant apply more generally, The population of the Gaelscoileanna is no different to the rest of the school population and they can handle two and more languages once they are tought properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Would be totally in favour of dropping Irish at secondary school level, I absolutely hated Irish when I was in school

Given the views you've expressed about Irishness elsewhere on this forum, I can't say I'm surprised.
    I don't think anyone should be forced to take a subject the hate.

Except Maths and English, of course. Oh how useful all that calculus and Keats has been to the average Irish person the minute they finished their Leaving Cert exam. :rolleyes:

Secondary schools should strive to make students enjoy or perhaps even love the learning experience

True, but why direct all the failings of the education system to live up to this ideal into a single subject? I don't know about you, but when I was in school I don't remember people enjoying any subject except, perhaps, Art. There were very many people who despised Maths and knew they would never need it (as opposed to basic arithmetic which is necessary) again after the LC. Yet being forced to learn Maths held them back with other subjects that they were good at. Likewise, with English which drove the average lad in my class ballistic as its novels poetry and plays were such unadulterated, pompous, head-wrecking, insignificant, neurotic nonsense. Where's the fairness in these useless syllabi being forced down students' throats?

This solution idea. People not speaking Irish isn't seen as a problem by most. If it was they'd be learning Irish.

That is a falicy, The majority want Irish to be preserved and Promoted,
    'They' have other things to be doing. Again though, that is delt with in the article, you seam to expect the majority to learn the language out of love for it, and if they dont you see it as evidience that they dont care about it. The evidience i have shown clearly states that is not the case.

I think Junior cert English is sufficient for English skills. Leaving cert English is a literature study not learning a language.

To what end, Surely such Literature study has no tangible benefit, to the student or the state, certainly not enough to justify it being a compulsory subject?
    I know so. Everyone in school used to say "what's the point in doing this class" and resented the fact it was compulsory

Again, you are drawing the wrong conclusion, They were resentful sure but not over some liberal principle that they should have a choice, They resented being forced to do something Pointless, Not that they were forced to do something.

Not to the same extent because they see more of a point to those subjects.

My point exactly, They dont mind as they can see their time is not being wasted, So, do you believe students would see it as a time waste if they emerged from it with a solid working knowlage of the language instead of the cúpla focal as is the case now? I dont.

Because I believe the people in charge are elitist snobs who would prefer to have a minority of people speaking fluent Irish and studying higher level(which is extemely difficult) than everyone speaking it to a reasonable level. They're afraid they'll have to dumb down the higher level subject if less people do the subject.

And why do you think making it optional in the face of these elitist snobs would be any easier than reform? Bearing in mind that it is the Irish language 'lobby' its self that is actively pressing for reform.
    '

I don't believe you. Have a glance at the papers and you'll see there's very little difference. Plus they go out of their way to make sure everyone passes.

Im sure they do as failing Irish means failing the LC. Not something a corrector wants to do to a student.
    That has little relevance to this debate as I am not arguing in Favor of the System as it is now, Just against the idea that making Irish is some kind of magic wand that will fix everything.

Saying "people want the language promoted" is not a choice. I meant a personal choice on which subjects they want to do at leaving cert level.

I know, but I don't buy the concept that there must to be choice there.
    Well this is the reason Irish students can't get into many chemistry based courses in the UK. Having 6 subjects because 3 of em are compulsory means you can't go into the finer details in specific subjects where necessary

Most comment I have heard suggests that for all its faults the Irish Education System is better than the British one, It produces a more well rounded student and that Third level courses in Ireland are more demanding than their British Equivalent. I am of course wide open to correction of that, but that is what I have heard.

Fairness dosent come into it, Practical concerns like the points race etc are what will determine it.

All subjects are victim to the points system.
    I dropped German at Junior level and kept on French for the Leaving, primarily due to points. I wanted to do both, but I had to keep Irish.

If you want to fix the points system - fix the points system.
    Making Irish compulsory is not the solution, as the limited number of Irish speakers proves.
    I asked if Irish being optional is Fairer than it is now dose that mean that making English Optional would also be fairer.
    Yea sure, I don't see a problem with English being optional post Junior level, if you do not have sufficient English to communicate at Junior level, then it is the system which needs to be reformed.
    If we reformed the teaching of English at primary level, it could be entirely optional at secondary level also.
    I personally do not see a problem with this - English is a functional language, this is why it is important.

(While we are at it, I studied Maths up to degree level for Comp Sci, did Honours for leaving (Hons Gaeilge too) and Maths desperately needs to be reformed also, so much unnecessary junk in there that should be learned only at college level if relevant)

That works on the assumption that people have sufficient English and Maths to operate in Ireland at whatever level it becomes non-cumpolsory.
    Irish is non-functional in the vast majority of Ireland so it is not relevant in this fashion, and in the areas where it is functional/necessary, then the local schools can have local rules for local people.
    It is a lower status compared to English. As are all Languages.
    Not true.
    It is lower status to English in functionally English speaking countries such as Ireland.
    Not in Germany, Not in France, Not in Russia etc.
    In those countries, Irish is lower status to the functional language of those countries.
    English would be at best even par, but that's merely a notion, it is lower status also.

It is lower status in Ireland because the functional language is English.
    That is not going to change unless the functional language becomes Irish again (considering the economic catastrophe we are in, that is not going to change in the next 50 years)
    I wouldn't want to learn Irish as it is now, That has nothing to do with it being Compulsory, That is why the course needs to be reformed.
    Missing the point completely.
    If it were not compulsory, you wouldn't have to learn it as it is now.
    You're putting the cart before the horse.

Personally I wanted to study German and French at leaving cert level, rather than Irish. I got better points in Irish than I probably would have in German anyway, but I had more than enough points and the German would have been vastly more useful when I got to college and industry (plus my brother in law is German, lol)

At the very beginning when I claimed that the majority want Irish to be Persevered and promoted, Unless you think that the education system should change to suit the whims of each new year of students to pass through it.
    And I at the very beginning - I asked you, how did you come to this realisation?
    How do you know that the majority want Irish to be preserved?
    I've only ever heard 2 people say it and both of those people are employed via Irish (one is a lecturer/research and one is a teacher)

When I was at school, we were taught religion etc.
    Some students were subject to this, others exempt.
    Same should apply to Irish.
    In some areas, not all.
    Granted, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    There are certain reasons why Maths and English need to be taught to a certain standard, as it has lifelong implications.
    If we are failing to do that, then we should reform those systems as a matter of urgency, and non-priority subjects like Irish can become optional.
    Yes, but Languages are an important are to promote.
    By whom?
    In that case, why are French and German not compulsory in Ireland?
    I dont see the benifit in languages falling and whatever is seen as an easy subject to get points in to riseing.
    That entirely depends on your personal perspective.
    I happen to agree with your perspective, but I'm conscious of the fact that there is an opportunity cost.

Nor does it directly correlate to points opportunism, it could simply be a student selecting a more relevant subject for them.

Deise, why is Polish non-compulsory in Ireland?

Do you think it should be?
    If yes, why?
    If no, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

More unsupported allegations of self serving Cyclopath?
    It would be great if you could provide some evidence, It just starts becoming ad hominum after a while.
    It should be self-evident that there is a high cost involved in teaching Irish to people who don't wish to learn it and in providing services and translations that hardly anyone wants.

It is probably kind of me to suggest that the desire for compulsory teaching of Irish to non-Irish speakers who don't want to speak Irish derives from the wish to preserve meaningless jobs rather than some perverse form of cultural assertiveness.

deise wrote:
    ]That is a falicy, The majority want Irish to be preserved and Promoted,

I've asked you to qualify that several time now.
    Please provide evidence for that statement.

Majority of who? Of Native speakers? Of the Irish population?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

So after 90 years of compulsory force feeding of Irish in schools to generations of Irish children, what language is most of the discourse on boards.ie conducted in?

TEIP!

sipstrassi wrote: »
    Irish is being spoken about in the same way as foreign languages.
    It is not a foreign language.
    It is OUR language.
    We already speak a foreign language - English.

No, we speak Hiberno-English.
    That is OUR language, it is not a foreign language.
    Nobody speaks those dialects except the people of Ireland.

We have more Nobel literary prizes for the English language, per head of population, than England has herself.

We have a long tradition of world renowned Irish authors and literary geniuses in the English language.
    Can't find the exact quote or remember who said it but it's an old one and is along the lines of a nation should guard it's language better than it's borders - to not be able to speak your own language is to forever wear the badge of the invader.

Shame/inferiorty complexes are not a sufficient reason to convince me to learn Gaelic.
    You cannot shame me out of speaking Hiberno-English, I am proud to speak Hiberno-English. I am proud of who I am.

Why are you ashamed of your own people?
    Why do you look down on us for speaking Hiberno-English?
    The Welsh language is thriving because Welsh people see it as part of who they are. Wish we could be the same.:(

Hiberno-English is thriving not only at home, but among the diaspora.
    I see it as a fundamental part of who I am.
    I don't want a personality or language transplant.

That is a falicy, The majority want Irish to be preserved and Promoted,
    'They' have other things to be doing. Again though, that is delt with in the article, you seam to expect the majority to learn the language out of love for it, and if they dont you see it as evidience that they dont care about it. The evidience i have shown clearly states that is not the case.
    '

Don't buy that for a second. If you love the language you will learn it. Loads of people in Belfast are taking it up at all ages. I think you need to realise a lot of people don't care as much about the language as they say they do.

That article you've posted is sensationalist tripe which doesn't compare like for like. I'm up to page 12 and the arrogance of the man is driving me nuts. The dropping of GCSE compulsory languages is not a valid comparison, it is more like our Junior cert. Also Irish people have a bigger connection to Gaelic than English kids do to foreign languages. Its just a cheapshot and the fact he couldn't come up with anything better shows how petty his agenda is.

To what end, Surely such Literature study has no tangible benefit, to the student or the state, certainly not enough to justify it being a compulsory subject?

Of course not. People are always goign to be interested in literature. Look at how many people do it here and in the UK where English is not compulsory for A-levels.

Again, you are drawing the wrong conclusion, They were resentful sure but not over some liberal principle that they should have a choice, They resented being forced to do something Pointless, Not that they were forced to do something.

It would still be pointless to many even if it were taught better for those 2 years. Those people have the right to that choice if you're ok with democracy.
    And why do you think making it optional in the face of these elitist snobs would be any easier than reform? Bearing in mind that it is the Irish language 'lobby' its self that is actively pressing for reform.

If it were optional and they kept it the same huge numbers would drop it. To prevent that they'd have to change the system.
    Im sure they do as failing Irish means failing the LC. Not something a corrector wants to do to a student.
    That has little relevance to this debate as I am not arguing in Favor of the System as it is now, Just against the idea that making Irish is some kind of magic wand that will fix everything.

Its relevant because it shows making it optional for the final two years would make no difference to people's ability to use the language.
    I know, but I don't buy the concept that there must to be choice there.

Right. Most people are generally in favour of personal choice for most things. Perhaps this is the real root of the argument.

Most comment I have heard suggests that for all its faults the Irish Education System is better than the British one, It produces a more well rounded student and that Third level courses in Ireland are more demanding than their British Equivalent. I am of course wide open to correction of that, but that is what I have heard.

Aye so much so that the tanaiste is urging universities to recognise a fail in higher maths as an acceptable grade to get in. There's no evidence for this well rounded student idea, the British system makes far more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I've asked you to qualify that several time now.
    Please provide evidence for that statement.

Majority of who? Of Native speakers? Of the Irish population?

This 2009 ESRI survey, for starters.

Fine Gael's Brian Hayes is going to have much more difficulty than he imagines with making his views on the Irish language state policy. The dilemma for many erstwhile Fianna Fáil supporters will be how to vote for Labour without in effect voting for the jaundiced Brutonite anti-Irish language/pro fee-paying schools views of Brian Hayes, a potential Minister for Education in any coalition government.

Rebelheart wrote:

Fine Gael's Brian Hayes is going to have much more difficulty than he imagines with making his views on the Irish language state policy. The dilemma for many erstwhile Fianna Fáil supporters will be how to vote for Labour without in effect voting for the jaundiced Brutonite anti-Irish language/pro fee-paying schools views of Brian Hayes, a potential Minister for Education in any coalition government.

From that article:

He continued: “Over 93 per cent of respondents hold positive aspirations for the language and want to see it either revived or preserved, while only 6.7 per cent want Irish to be ‘disregarded and forgotten’.”

LMFAO. Who would choose the "disregarded and forgotten" option instead of the first ffs. Talk about fishing for the answer you want.

All subjects are victim to the points system.
    I dropped German at Junior level and kept on French for the Leaving, primarily due to points. I wanted to do both, but I had to keep Irish.

If you want to fix the points system - fix the points system.
    Making Irish compulsory is not the solution, as the limited number of Irish speakers proves.

The points system is a problem, and dose its self need to be reformed, However it is not the only factor. You have simply jumped to the conclusion you wanted, If you look at it objectively it is clear that poor curriculum and teaching methods are the root cause of Irish not being widely spoken, As we have seen, when Irish is compulsory, but tought correctly, as is the case in the Gaelscoileanna then students have no problem developing an ability to speak Irish competently and also develop a love for the language too.

Yea sure, I don't see a problem with English being optional post Junior level, if you do not have sufficient English to communicate at Junior level, then it is the system which needs to be reformed.
    If we reformed the teaching of English at primary level, it could be entirely optional at secondary level also.
    I personally do not see a problem with this - English is a functional language, this is why it is important.

Not when English is the language of the home, As the System weather good bad or otherwise dose not hamper the ability of someone who can speak Irish from home.
    (While we are at it, I studied Maths up to degree level for Comp Sci, did Honours for leaving (Hons Gaeilge too) and Maths desperately needs to be reformed also, so much unnecessary junk in there that should be learned only at college level if relevant)

I have no problem with that, I think the important think to bear in mind is that if reformed properly, Irish over time could end up taking less up time as other subjects could, once the system is worked out, be tought through Irish, Subjects such as PE. This would mean that less dedicated time would needed for Irish classroom work.

Not true.
    It is lower status to English in functionally English speaking countries such as Ireland.
    Not in Germany, Not in France, Not in Russia etc.
    In those countries, Irish is lower status to the functional language of those countries.
    English would be at best even par, but that's merely a notion, it is lower status also.

In general terms English Is the Higest Status Language, In so far as A third party is more likely to choose English as a second language than German for example. You are of course right in saying that in Germany, German would be the Highest status language.

It is lower status in Ireland because the functional language is English.
    That is not going to change unless the functional language becomes Irish again (considering the economic catastrophe we are in, that is not going to change in the next 50 years)

Irish is already a functional language in the Gaelthachts and among groups who choose Irish over English,
    However English Is the Higher status language generally, and there in lies the problem, If you want to increase the use of Irish then Compulsion in School is a necessary as otherwise, as the evidence has shown, large numbers will not learn it due to love of the language, That is not to say the majority don't want to learn Irish, It just means that as a group they wont do so in Sufficient numbers. There are many reasons for this, Ultimatly, it comes down to that while they may want to, they dont need to and then as a result of the distractions inherent in adult life, they dont. That is why it is necessary to teach it in School;.
    Missing the point completely.
    If it were not compulsory, you wouldn't have to learn it as it is now.
    You're putting the cart before the horse.

Very much not im afraid, Again the problem is not Compulsion, but Curriculum, That may not automatically change if it is made optional, in fact it most likely wont, And that is ignoring the damaging domino effect that would then go through the education system, marginalizing Irish even further.

Personally I wanted to study German and French at leaving cert level, rather than Irish. I got better points in Irish than I probably would have in German anyway, but I had more than enough points and the German would have been vastly more useful when I got to college and industry (plus my brother in law is German, lol)

But there you go, The points system at work, With the added restriction that you cant actually choose whatever you want, It boils down to the list of options that dont clash with each other, so there will be those who would want to do Irish not being able to due to it clashing with other subjects they want.

And I at the very beginning - I asked you, how did you come to this realisation?
    How do you know that the majority want Irish to be preserved?
    I've only ever heard 2 people say it and both of those people are employed via Irish (one is a lecturer/research and one is a teacher)

Epsos, mrsi study. The one Cyclopath is hell bent on claiming was conducted and manipulated by the Irish language Lobby.
    When I was at school, we were taught religion etc.
    Some students were subject to this, others exempt.
    Same should apply to Irish.

Why? I dont agree, The Evidence I have seen suggests that the (vast) majority want Irish preserved and Promoted, and that Making it optional would be devastating to that.

Religion Should be optional though.
    Granted, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    There are certain reasons why Maths and English need to be taught to a certain standard, as it has lifelong implications.
    If we are failing to do that, then we should reform those systems as a matter of urgency, and non-priority subjects like Irish can become optional.

Indeed, But that standard is reached long before the LC course starts, But still I believe that these subjects should remain compulsory,(With due Reform) For the LC. Not because they are needed from a utilitarian perspective, but for their role in forming the person.
    By whom?
    In that case, why are French and German not compulsory in Ireland?

They effectively are, except its French or German, (or in some schools Spanish)

That entirely depends on your personal perspective.
    I happen to agree with your perspective, but I'm conscious of the fact that there is an opportunity cost.

Nor does it directly correlate to points opportunism, it could simply be a student selecting a more relevant subject for them.[/QUOTE]

But the thing is, student do get to choose the majority of there subjects,
    There is an opportunity cost, But from what I have seen, The penalty of making Irish optional is sealing the fate of its slow decline, At best, the continuance of its stay on 'Life Support' till another backward step is taken to finish it. And from the evidence I have seen, That is not what the people want.

Rebelheart wrote: »

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.pobail.ie/ie/Preaseisiuinti/file,9801,ie.pdf
    1,015 respondents.:rolleyes:

I could show you a cross section of Irish society which proves 93% of Irish people wish to exterminate the travelling community, working off those kind of figures.

Regardless, lets dig a little deeper:
    Of the Irish born sample, 40% wish to see it revived, while 52% wish to see it preserved
    Positive aspirations therefore were held by over 93%
    First, their maths is wrong, LOL
    Second, less than half of respondents wish to see the language returned to use as a primary language, while just over half wish to see it used side by side.

So in fact, only 2/5 of those surveyed wish to see the language revived.
    That's not a democratic majority, so Deise is incorrect in the use of his statement that he majority want the language to be promoted.

My honest suspicion is that Brian Hayes has just found a method to reform public expenditure and wasteful spending of which the majority will strongly approve.

The Gravy Train couldn't keep going forever lads.

Epsos, mrsi study. The one Cyclopath is hell bent on claiming was conducted and manipulated by the Irish language Lobby.
    In the interests of clarity, provide a link? The poster who requested the information can then form his own opinion as to its relevance..

What are Epsos and MRSI?

'
    Don't buy that for a second. If you love the language you will learn it. Loads of people in Belfast are taking it up at all ages. I think you need to realise a lot of people don't care as much about the language as they say they do.

Indeed, and it is great to see it, But it cant be denied(though in other threads I would) There is extra motivation in Belfast than Here to take an interest in the language.

That article you've posted is sensationalist tripe which doesn't compare like for like. I'm up to page 12 and the arrogance of the man is driving me nuts. The dropping of GCSE compulsory languages is not a valid comparison, it is more like our Junior cert. Also Irish people have a bigger connection to Gaelic than English kids do to foreign languages. Its just a cheapshot and the fact he couldn't come up with anything better shows how petty his agenda is.

Perhaps if that was the only relevant evidence he put forward, but the expert opinion agrees with his argument, Large amounts of people will not learn a language simply for the love of it, That is why the System failed after Independance, It was assumed that love of the language would revive it, that was not the case

Of course not. People are always goign to be interested in literature. Look at how many people do it here and in the UK where English is not compulsory for A-levels.

Here its compulsory, In the UK? I dont know, I have not seen the figures, but I have yet to meet someone who gained a deep love or appreciation for the Bard during the LC.

It would still be pointless to many even if it were taught better for those 2 years. Those people have the right to that choice if you're ok with democracy.

Not only for those two years, Again, see the OP, I provided a link to the Plan I believe would best see Irish tought Effectively, That plan is about the reform of Irish in its entirety, Not just for the LC. As for Democracy? Come now, Leave the Hyperbole aside.

If it were optional and they kept it the same huge numbers would drop it. To prevent that they'd have to change the system.

Why the roundabout rout? Reforming the System is the obvious solution. The problem is that it will be a political decision, Making it optional is the headline, not reform.
    In any case, as was shown in Britain, it dident matter how much they tried to reform or encourage students to take up languages, Once it was made optional the floodgates were open and it continued to decline.
    Its relevant because it shows making it optional for the final two years would make no difference to people's ability to use the language.

Not really, As it is now not much is learned, However, I am not arguing In favor of the current system remaining in place, I want reform of the System.

Right. Most people are generally in favour of personal choice for most things. Perhaps this is the real root of the argument.

Not really, You have failed to show substantial benefit form choice, and most people dont have a problem with Compulsion per se, rather with the poor curriculum. If compulsion its self it would be a problem across the board, not just for Irish.

Aye so much so that the tanaiste is urging universities to recognise a fail in higher maths as an acceptable grade to get in. There's no evidence for this well rounded student idea, the British system makes far more sense.[/QUOTE]

But the question isent about individual faults in Either system, How dose one compare against the other in overall performance.
    Of course there is room to improve the system, If there wasent we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Link to the survay I mentioned. Link

Relevant article from today's Irish Times
    LANGUAGE COMMISSIONER Seán Ó Cuirreáin has called for “positive discrimination” in recruitment to the public service to tackle the fall in State workers able to deal with the public through Irish, one of the two official languages of the State.

A new survey within the Department of Education and Skills has found only 1.5 per cent of officials can deal with the public through Irish...The Language Commissioner – an independent office akin to an ombudsman – said the figure of 1.5 per cent of administrative staff able to provide services through Irish amounted to a halving since 2005 when 3 per cent of staff were able to use Irish. “This means that 98.5 per cent of staff members were unable to deal with the public through Irish. This fall in the department’s Irish language capacity has happened at a time when the national language is, in general, undergoing an undoubted resurgence in popularity,” Mr Ó Cuirreáin said. “This is a scandal.”
    Kind of odd, if the langauge is 'undergoing an undoubted resurgence in popularity', that the number of people who want to speak it has halved?
    There was strong official recognition of the language, he said. It was mentioned in 140 Acts, some €700 million a year was spent teaching it, there were State-funded Irish radio and television stations but there was no practical application. Students spent 13 years and 1,000 hours learning Irish but there was no opportunity to use it, he said. “We have failed utterly to link learning Irish with using the language,” he said.
    It seems that the commissioner is just as perplexed by reality as the pro-compulsion posters here.

Relevant article from today's Irish Times

Kind of odd, if the langauge is 'undergoing an undoubted resurgence in popularity', that the number of people who want to speak it has halved?

It seems that the commissioner is just as perplexed by reality as the pro-compulsion posters here.

Where dose it say the numbers wanting to speak it have halved?

I believe he is referencing the growth of Irish medium Education and the positive attuide of the Irish population tword the language.

• Advertisement

Indeed, and it is great to see it, But it cant be denied(though in other threads I would) There is extra motivation in Belfast than Here to take an interest in the language.

Yes its quite interesting to see how the pattern is working. Sinn Fein should think long and hard about introducing an Irish language act, might leave them with less Irish speakers in the future.
    Perhaps if that was the only relevant evidence he put forward, but the expert opinion agrees with his argument, Large amounts of people will not learn a language simply for the love of it, That is why the System failed after Independance, It was assumed that love of the language would revive it, that was not the case'

Its the main thrust of the article, he mentions it constantly and linking it to Fine Gael. You'd swear Fianna Fail had a hand in writing it. Though it is fallacious, as that English plan took away compulsory status at age 14 whereas I want it taken away at around 17(leaving cert years) for Irish Gaelic. Also look at his references. Using news webites is generally smirked at when it comes to scientific papers.

Here its compulsory, In the UK? I dont know, I have not seen the figures, but I have yet to meet someone who gained a deep love or appreciation for the Bard during the LC.

Not only for those two years, Again, see the OP, I provided a link to the Plan I believe would best see Irish tought Effectively, That plan is about the reform of Irish in its entirety, Not just for the LC. As for Democracy? Come now, Leave the Hyperbole aside.

Why the roundabout rout? Reforming the System is the obvious solution. The problem is that it will be a political decision, Making it optional is the headline, not reform.

They won't budge on their system unless their hand is forced.
    In any case, as was shown in Britain, it dident matter how much they tried to reform or encourage students to take up languages, Once it was made optional the floodgates were open and it continued to decline.

I've pointed out how that ridiculous, pro fianna fail, sensationalist paper is not a valid comparison. Cling to it if you want but no one's going to take it seriously

Not really, As it is now not much is learned, However, I am not arguing In favor of the current system remaining in place, I want reform of the System.

Not really, You have failed to show substantial benefit form choice, and most people dont have a problem with Compulsion per se, rather with the poor curriculum. If compulsion its self it would be a problem across the board, not just for Irish.

I don't care about substantial benefit. I think choice would leave us with more people speaking it day to day, more people doing higher level and far fewer people doing it at ordinary level. Less people doing it overall for the final two years but more people doing it properly.

But the question isent about individual faults in Either system, How dose one compare against the other in overall performance.
    Of course there is room to improve the system, If there wasent we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Don't know how you'd measure that precisely but look at it this way there's hundreds of schools abroad use the British educational system whereas the only place outside the 26 counties using the leaving cert is in Libya of all places! (though ironically enough they're excempt from Irish)

Advertisement