Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Day Trips from Limerick

• 28-06-2011 11:30pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3

I am visiting Ireland from the U.S. for the first time, in July, and will be staying in the Limerick area for 6 nights. I am traveling with a group of 4 and we will hire a rental car.

I have been researching different places that we can visit on day trips, with Limerick as our home base. Some of the places that I thought I wanted to visited are, on further research, sounding like tourist traps with outrageous admission fees.

I would appreciate any day trip ideas, particularly those that involve nature/scenery, castles/Irish history, and good food/drink.

This is what I've looked into so far:

1. Cliffs of Moher -- overpriced admission
    2. Blarney Castle -- another tourist trap
    3. Guinness Brewery (Dublin) -- overpriced admission
    4. Trinity University/Book of Kells (Dublin) - mixed reviews
    5. Ring of Kerry drive -- looks good
    6. Town of Dingle -- with a name like Dingle...
    7. Aran Islands -- boat ride!
    8. Doolin Cave -- huge stalactite!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think the Guinness Brewery is well worth the visit! :D

Maybe you should try Dingle too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

Day 1 - tour around Clare coast line and take in the Cliff of Moher and imho it's well worth the money, Doolin and Aliwee caves, the Burren, Corkscewhill, Poulnabrone dolmen, Caherconnel Fort (fee) and Kilfenora Cathedral.

Day 2 Trip to Galway city

Day 3 Ring of Kerry

Day 4 Dingle peninsula - Gallarus Oratory (fee), on a fine day Conor Pass is a must.

Day 5 Limerick - Adare, Bunratty (fee), Lough Gur, Grange Stone circle, King John's castle (fee) Hunt Musuem (fee, may be free on a Sat or Sunday), Knappogue Castle (fee?), Cragganowen fort (fee), Quin Abbey, St. Mary's Cathedral in the city.

Day 6 - Blarney is probably a must do, while there is a fee it certainly seems to be one of those place that are on a to do list, though I only did it for my first time about 2 years ago.

I'm sure others will add to this list but it's a start and they dont have to be done in the order I menetioned, I just listed them as they came into my head.

You could plan a schedule and then ask here if we think it's doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

phog wrote: »

Day 3 Ring of Kerry

Day 5 Limerick - Adare, Bunratty (fee), Lough Gur, Grange Stone circle, King John's castle (fee) Hunt Musuem (fee, may be free on a Sat or Sunday), Knappogue Castle (fee?), Cragganowen fort (fee), Quin Abbey, St. Mary's Cathedral in the city..

If you're doing the ring of Kerry you have to take a short detour to Valentia Island, one of favourite places in Ireland.

Wrt to Limerick, think the abbeys in Kilmallock are worth a short stop off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There is ZERO admission to the Cliffs of Moher. The admission is for the car park and the visitor centre(information about rocks). Drive past the car park towards Doolin and down around the bend there is a road to the right. Enough room to park 5/6 cars. Walk to the cliffs of moher.

Doing a trip along the coast of Clare is always great. You can start from South Galway along Kinvarra, over across the coast road to Fenore, into Doolin, over across the cliffs of Moher(pass the parking space), into Liscannor, into Lehinch(Lahinch), onto Spanish point, into Kilkee, Southwest towards Loop head(most westerly point in Ireland), back into Limerick through Ennis and Bunratty.

The Ring of Kerry is best started, in my opinion, in Kenmare because you will be travelling Clockwise. Trucks and Coachs have an unwritten rule to travel ONLY anti clockwise because at most times they CANNOT pass each other on the roads. There is a lot to see. Don't forget to visit Cahersiveen and head a little further West to get a good look across the view towards the Skelligs. There is a chocolate museum around here somewhere as well.

On your way back from the Ring of Kerry, depending on the time come back the N69 and stop off in Foynes at the boat museum. It was the transatlantic crossing of choice all those years ago and there is a lot of history in that museum. Some really famous people graced the steps on the flying boat.

Visit Adare(worth around an hour - probably on your way to the Ring of Kerry).

Actually, you know what. You're better off spending a night somewhere in County Kerry. There is soo much to choose from. Killarney is a tourist trap and even, for a small town, boasts a freakin Holiday Inn. How quaint. :rolleyes:

Want a treat? The Europe 5* , The Brehon, The Muckross Park. Or try 4* Scotts Hotel or the Killarney Plaza.

Blarney. Get your American ass down there and kiss the stone. :D While you are in Cork you may as well visit the place. It's a nice city. You should visit the Cork City Gaol, Cobh(Titanics last port(dock is still there where the runner boats left from).

Get the car ferry back across the bay and head over and visit Kinsale harbour town. Eat a meal in Fishy Fishy restaurant.

Bunratty Castle & Folk Park. The only thing original is the castle. Most of the folk park was moved from other places. A few of the buildlings used to be where the main runway in Shannon airport is right now.

All OUTSIDE Limerick but hey you're here to travel.
    If you're doing the ring of Kerry you have to take a short detour to Valentia Island, one of favourite places in Ireland.

I agree about Valentia albeit dont be fooled that it is a true Island. There may be a car ferry at one end but there IS a bridge at the other end. There is a nice stone Grotto to be found on the island. Very bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

- Rock of Cashel is well worth visiting

- New Grange, there is no where like it. A bit of a far for a day trip but doable with the new motorways. Poss combine with a over night and a visit to Dublin

- Killaloe is very close, great for lunch and a ramble around the village. (a drive around the lake can lead to other nice spots, garrykennedy, mountshannon harbour, portumna house.

- Birr to see the castle, grounds and an old telescope

- Kilkenny Castle

- Glen of Atherlow

- Ennis also a good place to have a ramble around

- Ballybunion for a game of golf

- Lehinch for surfing

- Beaches in west clare, kilkee, spanish point, lehinch

Have a look at the flyer's in the hotel lobby. I often use them for ideas for a different day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

A nice day trip is the 'Lough Derg Drive'.

Lots of good scenery with great views over the lake and plenty of places to stop off on the way around...

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/FindMoreTrails/DrivingTrails/TrailName,5872,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

You'll just have to accept high prices in Ireland for a lotta stuff.
    I didn't think bunratty was unreasonable for what it is.

I'll second most of the Beer Barons suggestions (clare and galway and kerry all worth a look), with the following additions on Kerry - Cahirciveen in my opinion is very run down these days and lacking in anything to make it worth a stop. (although the old barracks is worth a sweep by, kinda walt-disney-esque )

Dingle, (not on the ring of kerry so would be a separate day trip most likely) definitely worth a look, lots of old style pubs/greengrocers/hardware stores - try find a pub with trad music by night, shouldn't be hard!

Scenery around Killarney (the lakes, Ladies View, Muckross, ancient oak forests) is fantastic. There are horse and cart tours of the National Park. (not likely to be cheap) If you need a break from touring, this is a good spot to wander the shops. Tralee is the other big town in Kerry but its unappealing to say the least.

Valentia is nice (on a good day!), worth a detour from the ring of kerry for the view from the top on the island (won't see much if the cloud is down!) http://www.geokaun.com/
    Steep walk, hire car unlikely to drive all the way up. Think there is an admission fee.
    Portmagee nearby has good reputation for food.

The Chocolate factory near Ballinskelligs is shutdown due to a fire http://www.skelligschocolate.com/
    Siopa Cill Rialaig nearby has fine coffee and cakes tho.

The actual skelligs islands themselves are a unique experience (ancient monastic settlements, lotsa sea birds) - boat trips from several locations. Can't recommend one over another, but Joe Roddy is attributed as one of Irelands first surfers - sounds interesting! http://www.skelligstrips.com/gpage.html

Kenmare is a fantastic spot for pubs and restaurants, and is a nice looking small town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Amateurish

The Burren, 1 hour drive - free admission. (Nature/scenery)
    The Clare Glens, 25 min drive - free admission.(Nature/scenery)
    The Devil's Bit, Templemore, 1 hour drive, admission is free.(Nature/scenery)
    Donaghmore Workhouse and agricultural museum. 50 min drive. Small admission fee. (Historical)
    Ardnacrusha Power Stn, 5 min drive, - free admission. Staff give an excellent guided tour if they know you're coming. (Historical)
    Moneygall, 35 min drive and free admission. Obama's ancestral homeplace. Ask for directions to Templeharry Church where his relatives are buried.
    The best things in life/Ireland are free.
    If you're interested in any of the above I will post directions. Enjoy your stay.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I agree about Valentia albeit dont be fooled that it is a true Island. There may be a car ferry at one end but there IS a bridge at the other end. There is a nice stone Grotto to be found on the island. Very bizzare.

Not sure what mean by "true" island. King's Island in Limerick is a true island even though there's 5 (?) bridges on to it.

Anyhow, place has to be visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Spend the day at Bunratty castle and folk park - its a great day in my opinion (and if you have the cash stay for the banquet - its expensive as hell but a night to remember for sure). Plus the castle is about 10 mins from the city centre, as it looks like you'll be driving a bit that will deffo be a plus!

When in dublin i suggest the Guinness Storehouse (of course), but also maybe Croke Park muesum (its located inside the stadium itself) and gives a very interesting look at Irish history during the past 200 years or so taking in the struggle for independence (as well as teaching you a lot about Irelands national sporting games).

And I would second or third or whatever it is the trip around the Burren (co clare), taking in the coast and the cliffs! Although, if you are going to Inis Mór (Aran Islands) - there is another cliff there too which you will probably end up at, so?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 lobbybee

Thank you all for the great insights and suggestions so far!

To be clear, I'm not against spending Euros as needed. After all, I am on vacation. But I just hate the thought of getting no value for my money. Getting ripped off.

Poxyshamrock: I'm leaning against Guinness. Works out to about US$85 for a party of 4 to get a self guided tour and 4 pints, and my wife doesn't even drink (I should have considered that before picking Ireland :) )

phog: Thanks for the direct links. Very helpful.

Amazotheamazing: Valentia Island sounds great. Hadn't seen it in any guides. Endpoint of "first commercially viable transatlantic telegraph cable" --that's so cool!

Beer Baron: Great stuff. Just great! And the Blarney stone can kiss my hairy American ass. ;) But, yeah, guess I gotta do it because the rest of the group wants to.

An.Duine.Eile: I'll keep and eye out for those flyers. Are the Irish Tourist Information Centers helpful?

damoth: Yes, more driving. The environmentalists are gonna hate me for all the petro I'm gonna burn.

langdang: No! Not the chocolate factory! Might as well cancel my trip. Thanks for the pointers.

Amateurish: "The best things in life/Ireland are free." That's what I'm talking about!

heresjohnnie: We might hit up Bunratty as our very first attraction from Shannon airport to Limerick. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Spend the day at Bunratty castle and folk park - its a great day in my opinion (and if you have the cash stay for the banquet - its expensive as hell but a night to remember for sure). Plus the castle is about 10 mins from the city centre, as it looks like you'll be driving a bit that will deffo be a plus!

When in dublin i suggest the Guinness Storehouse (of course), but also maybe Croke Park muesum (its located inside the stadium itself) and gives a very interesting look at Irish history during the past 200 years or so taking in the struggle for independence (as well as teaching you a lot about Irelands national sporting games).

And I would second or third or whatever it is the trip around the Burren (co clare), taking in the coast and the cliffs! Although, if you are going to Inis Mór (Aran Islands) - there is another cliff there too which you will probably end up at, so?!?!?

here here..... think bunratty is def worth a look... store hosue nice aswell, burren great and cliffs of moher a must...

keeep it mid west side...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

lobbybee wrote: »
    An.Duine.Eile: I'll keep and eye out for those flyers. Are the Irish Tourist Information Centers helpful?

Going to answer this one. My opinion is NO. They are there to, mostly, sell you anything and everything from bus/coach tours, walking tours, multi entry tickets to places you will never visit and many other unecessary things.

The Internet / This forum is always only a click away. I would also suggest this other website. Here's a direct link to the content.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g186621-i970-Limerick_County_Limerick.html

Just switch between forums to see questions and ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Beer Baron wrote: »
    There is a chocolate museum around here somewhere as well.
    Now that woke me up. Chocolate museum?

sceptre wrote: »

Skelligs Chocolate Factory, afaik. You used to be able to do tours but their place burned down a while back and they are rebuilding it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

15 minutes drive from Limerick.. http://www.discoverkillaloe.com/ nice scenery, good history (Brian Boru, Lough Derg gateway, Graves of the Leinstermen 11th century Cathedral)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

sceptre wrote: »
    Yes, Skelligs Choc Factory is out of commission for a while.

There is a guy in near Kenmare that runs chocolate courses if thats your thing - http://www.lorge.ie/index.html

Good chocolate, there is a stall in the Milk Market that sells it.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

+1 on the folk park
    +10 on the banquet.
    I wouldn't call €50 'expensive as hell' for dinner and 2 hours of entertainment. won't get the same experience anywhere else.

If you want you can also request that a couple in your party be the Earl of thomond and his lady.:)

Also Durty Nellies is a great place to go for a drink after. Serve a great pint of guinness and you're almost guaenteed a sing song! :)

Advertisement