Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preliminary 2011 census data

• 30-06-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I see the CSO has published its preliminary 2011 Census of Population data and it shows a 5% drop in the population of Limerick city since the 2006 census.

I knew the murder rate was high but jaysus........

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Prelim complete.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

only surprise to me there is that only about 3000 people have left the city thought that figure would be higher, population wise smaller than Galway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Thats pretty bad. doesn't look good for future services. galway miles ahead with population size now.
    Limerick city 59790
    Galway city 72414

All young people leaving and old people dying. Could decline even further in next 5 years.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see the CSO has published its preliminary 2011 Census of Population data and it shows a 5% drop in the population of Limerick city since the 2006 census.

I knew the murder rate was high but jaysus........

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Prelim complete.pdf

The city may have seen a population drop of 5%, but the county saw an increase of 8.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thats a bit odd though cos didn't the city take control of areas of Moyross, Caherdavin, Coonagh, Clonmacken in the last 3/4 yrs. how can the city have such a decrease in population if thats the case ?

actually very good point i remember when those areas came into the city they were saying about 8000 people would now be part of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

you can never trust those census figures - sur don't they claim to use them to plan for roads, schools and hospitals !!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I left, and I'm delighted :D

p.s. So is everybody else most likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

thats a bit odd though cos didn't the city take control of areas of Moyross, Caherdavin, Coonagh, Clonmacken in the last 3/4 yrs. how can the city have such a decrease in population if thats the case ?

Just reading through it and on page 4 it says the biggest drops by electoral division were Galvone B (O'Malley Park and Keyes Park) -49.3%, Ballynanty (Moyross) -15% and Limerick North Rural (Moyross) -11%.
    These are the regeneration areas where hundreds of houses have been demolished and the residents moved to county suburbs.

The city population dropped by 3011 in total of which these 3 areas alone make up 2040.
    There isn't a breakdown of other areas but add to that houses demolished in Ballinacurra Weston / Rathbane etc and the amount of Eastern Europeans who have left over the last few years its not really surprising the population has dropped.

Tockman wrote: »
    Thats pretty bad. doesn't look good for future services. galway miles ahead with population size now.
    Limerick city 59790
    Galway city 72414

All young people leaving and old people dying. Could decline even further in next 5 years.:(

Remember that includes Galways suburbs, but not Limericks. Under the amalgamation of the city and county the city boundary is to be extended to include Raheen, Dooradoyle and Castletroy and would push Limerick Citys population closer to 100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Tockman wrote: »
    Limerick city 59790
    Galway city 72414

Told u guys that on the other thread a few days ago. Unless the govt does something pretty quickly the outlook for Limerick is very negative. How they can bring in practically no IDA jobs into the region in 15 years is beyond me.

• Advertisement

where does it say the citys boundary will be extended i missed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

liammur wrote: »
    Told u guys that on the other thread a few days ago. Unless the govt does something pretty quickly the outlook for Limerick is very negative. How they can bring in practically no IDA jobs into the region in 15 years is beyond me.

How many jobs did Shannon get over the years?

We need to stop looking at this a Limerick city vs the world issue. It's a Midwest vs. the World issue. If we include Raheen and Castletroy, Limerick is still comfortably ahead of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

You can't take these statistics at face value. Limerick and Cork have reached their legally defined boundaries. So if a million people suddenly moved into the area just outside these unchanging legally defined boundaries, they wouldn't be included in the statistics, even though they could be extending the city enormously. I mean it shows Dublin city as having the same rate of growth as largely uninhabitable areas of Kerry, so these statistics are by legally defined boundaries, not by urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

How many jobs did Shannon get over the years?

We need to stop looking at this a Limerick city vs the world issue. It's a Midwest vs. the World issue. If we include Raheen and Castletroy, Limerick is still comfortably ahead of Galway.

Shannon has probably lose more jobs than it has got since 1997. The midwest region as a whole has shown the smallest increase in population in the country. That is a telling statistic.

kilburn wrote: »
    where does it say the citys boundary will be extended i missed that

It's the first recommendation of the Brosnan report. http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/BoundaryCommitteeReports/FileDownLoad,23937,en.pdf
    See Page 34.

Other than bringing parts of Clare into Limerick, it seems the whole report is being implemented.

Advertisement