Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cooking sherry?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know where I can find a cooking product, cooking sherry? It's not like regular sherry, it has a high salt content and is actually labelled "cooking Sherry" on the front. It's great for seasoning some soups, for example. This is easy to find in the US, but I've never been able to find it in Ireland. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pljmartin wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find a cooking product, cooking sherry? It's not like regular sherry, it has a high salt content and is actually labelled "cooking Sherry" on the front. It's great for seasoning some soups, for example. This is easy to find in the US, but I've never been able to find it in Ireland. Thanks!

Any food wholesaler will do it. The reason it has a high salt content is to stop chefs from guzzling it. Same with cooking brandy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    The reason it has a high salt content is to stop chefs from guzzling it. Same with cooking brandy

That may be an added benefit but the primary reason for the seasoning is that it can be sold as a food/sauce so it doesn't attract alcohol duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Supervalu Blackrock have it.

Or you could buy your own preferred sherry or marsala and add salt directly.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 miamees

Aldi have a cheap manzanilla sherry at the moment for 3.99. Perfect for cooking (or drinking)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Manzanilla doesn't keep though, unlike sweeter sherries. Andalucians would say it starts going off as soon as it leaves Sanlucar....

• Advertisement
Advertisement