Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it disrespectful to walk on people's graves?

• 28-04-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Do you think its disrespectful to walk on someone's grave??

I was in a conversation with a friend who got really annoyed when he heard someone walk over his mothers grave, carelessly. But in reality we are all dead, does it matter? Especially if the grave is over 100 years old?

I personally couldn't care, the point of humanity is to die and provide nutrients to the soil and the earth to which people walk on anyway. Is this wrong and disrespectful to walk on someone's grave??

Is It Disrespectful To Walk On Someone Else's Grave?? 259 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 259 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its a cultural thing, here in canada it's not because the gave is just the headstone, people stand over where the bodies are buried when paying their respects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No pissing, ****ting, or fornicating on my grave or I'll come back and haunt you all.
    Knacker drinking without leaving a tinnie for me is forbidden.
    Other than that, walk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Depends on the intentions. If you're trying to clean it or put flowers on it, no.

If your doing it to shorten your path or just doing it to be a massive dick, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Depends on the circumstance really, if it can be avoided then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Some people are just ****ing old fashioned..."I wouldn't let them walk all over me alive, certainly don't want it done when I'm dead"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Who cares, the person under you is dead anyway

said the necrophaeliac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It all depends on yourself and what you think. I never do it and don't particularly like when people do it. Walking on the borders is fine but walking straight across seems a bit stupid when there are plenty of decent paths running through all graveyards.

The worst I've seen though is a woman who used to sit on top of my granny and grandads gravestone every year at the graveyard mass. That's the height of disrespect in my book. Told her to eff off one year and she hasn't been back since. Plenty of people bring fold up chairs to the masses, why couldn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A pile of bones won't get overly offended by it I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Of course its disrespectful, not to mention annoying, takes ages to get the stones level etc

I wouldn't walk on someones grave unless I was cleaning it or something

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Huh ?

No Atari Jaguar option ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I would go out of my way not to walk on peoples graves, People have chosen that spot where they want to be when they die, Out of respect for them people I would not. Its there last place to rest, Do not disturb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

With the amount of people that have come and gone before us, there's surely 'graves' everywhere? You can't walk where nobody was ever buried, I highly doubt every body has been put in a marked grave inside a graveyard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Gnobe wrote: »

I was in a conversation with a friend who got really annoyed when he heard someone walk over his mothers grave, carelessly. But in reality we are all dead, does it matter? Especially if the grave is over 100 years old?

?

His mother died 100 years ago. What age is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

realies wrote: »
    I would go out of my way not to walk on peoples graves, People have chosen that spot where they want to be when they die, Out of respect for them people I would not. Its there last place to rest, Do not disturb.

That would be my thought on the matter too.
    Although I want some Weed seeds scattered on my grave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

Its there last place to rest, Do not disturb.

They wont know they're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nope, not at all!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Where my grandmother is buried, it's a very old cemetery. There isn't paths between one row and the next. So yeah, I do.

Once you have respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

stovelid wrote: »
    A pile of bones won't get overly offended by it I'm sure.

That isn't the point.

What if a complete stranger took a shit on one of your grandparent's grave?

Would you be offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yes it most certainly is. Anyone saying otherwise is a gulpin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do not disturb.

Not much chance of disturbing them in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Personally I would find it very disrespectful and would never walk over the grave of a person.......
    Obviously the dead wouldn't know but I'd know and that would disturb me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

His mother died 100 years ago. What age is he?

Exactly what I was thinking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I wouldn't see a problem with it at all. I wouldn't do it though because I wouldn't want to annoy or upset someone else for no reason. I've only ever been to a graveyard once and don't plan on going much at all for at least 50 more years so its not a problem got me.

If you do it with respect, it's fine (e.g. if you have to in order to tend to it or if there's no way around it).

If you're having and oul' stroll across with no regard for the meaning of the place, you're being disrespectful and incredibly ignorant.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I farted whilst robbing the flowers off a grave one time.

Did I stand on it? F*ck no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I farted whilst robbing the flowers off a grave one time.

Did I stand on it? F*ck no

Robbing from someones grave is unbelievably scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

It's not disrespectful if it's Charles Haughey's grave. You'd be doing the country a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There are ~125 cu ft of dirt between me and the dead person, what difference does it make?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If you walk on a grave and you wake in the night with something tugging at yer ankle then it's time to stop it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

only if you dont dance

Advertisement