Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I don,t think anyone else has posted this story so Il do the honours of doing so.
    Household charge office on fire
    13:01, 29 June 2012 by Dick O'Brien
    The office responsible for collecting the Household Charge have gone up in flames.

Eyewitnesses said the entire building on Dublin's Ormond Quay has been evacuated.

The fire began on the floor occupied by the section of the Local Government Management Agency responsible for collecting the Household Charge.

Several units of Dublin Fire Brigade are in attendance.

Flames have been seen coming from the office and firemen have broken several windows.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Household+charge+office+on+fire/id/19410615-5218-4fed-9385-e1e2a3706442

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

donalg1 wrote: »
    Nobody could not pay this charge, they choose not to pay this charge, the charge was €100 and everyone could afford to get this together over a 3 month period

What planet is this fella from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

desodon wrote: »

It's not a planet, it's just a higher (moral) ground than the rest of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gerryo777 wrote: »

A world of confusion if you read through the earlier posts. Look at the one I posted about how some people can afford a house in cash, as a comparison to his posting about how he could save each week, so everyone else can as well (according to him).

His reply had childlike innocence in its naivety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Isnt it absolutely amazing that Phil Hogan SUDDENLY doesnt know the legal position on his own wastefull spendings/expenses splurges and of miss-use tax payers money too.

Funny eh???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Nobody could not pay this charge, they choose not to pay this charge, the charge was €100 and everyone could afford to get this together over a 3 month period

Don't tell me you are as naive as the rest of those that think some people couldn't afford it. Surely not another one.

Would love to know where you got that from gerry.

Very relevant to the household charge indeed.

• donalg1 wrote: »
    Don't tell me you are as naive as the rest of those that think some people couldn't afford it. Surely not another one.
    When disposable income reaches zero, where the hell do you expect them to "magic" the money from!

What are they going to cut to pay the extra tax,
    1, food bill - possible if you live off takeaways - not possible if you're already mobbing the "sell-by's" shelf.
    2, fuel bills - possible if you leave lights on or are wasteful - not possible if you already wear thick jumpers on cold nights.
    3, funding the children going back to school - possible if you have older kids who can "hand down" books & clothes - not possible if they're starting a new school of the school has changed the books.
    4 skip paying other bills - possible until they send in debt collectors!
    5 skip mortgage payments - possible because the government are scared of repossessions losing them the next election.

So yes it can be paid, but there is a downside that could be worse for the defaulter.

• Advertisement

When disposable income reaches zero, where the hell do you expect them to "magic" the money from!

1, food bill - possible if you live off takeaways - not possible if you're already mobbing the "sell-by's" shelf.
    2, fuel bills - possible if you leave lights on or are wasteful - not possible if you already wear thick jumpers on cold nights.
    3, funding the children going back to school - possible if you have older kids who can "hand down" books & clothes - not possible if they're starting a new school of the school has changed the books.
    5 skip mortgage payments - possible because the government are scared of repossessions losing them the next election.

So yes it can be paid, but there is a downside that could be worse for the defaulter.

You forgot to mention broadband iPhone sky, car, cigarettes alcohol and all them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

You forgot to mention broadband iPhone sky, car, cigarettes alcohol and all them

they are essentials......the government gives them free to some people....

Ah sure when it rains you can chain the kids together,send them out to stand by the nearest large puddle of water and the cars can splash them all to bits.

Weekly wash for the kids,without having to run the water (water meters) or turn on the gas or electricity and run up a bill for hot water.

Im sure "Big Phil" wont see any problem in doing that,as long as he gets 2 weeks (tax payers paid) in Brazil next year..

For me no car = no work as I live out in the sticks and work shift.
    As for the lifestyle choices, do you expect people to spend their entire income on taxes!

For me no car = no work as I live out in the sticks and work shift.
    As for the lifestyle choices, do you expect people to spend their entire income on taxes!

No but a lot of people that claim to be broke do so while playing with their iPhone puffing away on twenty a day and going out on the beer two nights a week. I put paying my taxes ahead of a few beers at the weekend and ahead of a nice new phone but others choose to do the opposite

No but a lot of people that claim to be broke do so while playing with their iPhone puffing away on twenty a day and going out on the beer two nights a week. I put paying my taxes ahead of a few beers at the weekend and ahead of a nice new phone but others choose to do the opposite

Well done you, that's the higher moral ground for you.

Have you got % figures for that claim?

Not a "big Phil" % figure...but a real figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You love paying taxes, why don't you give all your wages to the government?
    We have to have some luxuries out of our pay or what's left of it.

paddy147 wrote: »

Have you got % figures for that claim?

Not a "big Phil" % figure...but a real figure.

What are you talking about % figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jesus imagine that. People have lives and enjoy things !!! How dare they enjoy themselves. The necks of them. Next they will be going to the cinema.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about % figures.

You and Phil Hogan have alot in common then.......(think about it).;):D

hondasam wrote: »

Now Sam, you know these guys want you destitute.

Keep €20 a week for yourself and give the rest to big phil.
    Don't go out, don't buy anything other than essentials.

Definitely don't spend your money in pubs or restaurants or anywhere in the local economy that might keep someone in employment.

Tax tax and more tax is all these guys want, screw the domestic economy!

Jesus imagine that. People have lives and enjoy things !!! How dare they enjoy themselves. The necks of them. Next they will be going to the cinema.

Phil Hogan needs to listen to the directors of both FLAC and MABS have to say on RTE and TV3 regarding the situation over peoples money problems and budgeting.

He might learn a thing or 2 from those 2 people,before opening is gob and sprouting out all types of tripe.:rolleyes:

Well, I'm not one of them!

I put feeding the family and keeping the house bills paid first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Govt could save money on simply cutting needless expenses such as -

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/government-wastes-1m-on-translations-into-irish-1990149.html

and implementing new ideas such as -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0119/1224310448085.html

Targeting people's homes for taxes will get them nothing but trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Now Sam, you know these guys want you destitute.

Keep €20 a week for yourself and give the rest to big phil.
    Don't go out, don't buy anything other than essentials.

Definitely don't spend your money in pubs or restaurants or anywhere in the local economy that might keep someone in employment.

Tax tax and more tax is all these guys want, screw the domestic economy!

gerry I have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle, hair app, tan, nails etc I have no money left for an unfair unnecessary tax.

Big Phil will have to whistle a little while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Govt could save money on simply cutting needless expenses such as -

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/government-wastes-1m-on-translations-into-irish-1990149.html

and implementing new ideas such as -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0119/1224310448085.html

Targeting people's homes for taxes will get them nothing but trouble.
    Stop tranlating official documents into Irish and make the unemployed work for their dole.

Interesting ideas alright. I wonder what the anti HHC leadership and the opposition parties make of them

gerry I have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle, hair app, tan, nails etc I have no money left for an unfair unnecessary tax.

Big Phil will have to whistle a little while longer.

I know how you feel...I had to recently give up my weekly bikini zone waxing appointment.........

No more back,sack and crack for me.

Havent I sacrificed enough for you Big Phil?????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lol, it sounds like you want Mr or Mrs Joe Soap to go to work all week for the sole purpose of paying taxes.

If a working man or woman can't have any luxuries after a hard weeks graft, where is the incentive to work:confused:

Quit digging Donal.

• Advertisement

How do you know what I do or don't love would be interested to hear or are u just talking ****e

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement