Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragonflies and Damselflies 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Angus Og wrote: »
    I think this is a female blue-tailed damselfly. :)
    It is. There are many colour forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's amazing what you don't see when you're not looking :). I've started taking the camera everywhere with me. After a run this evening I decided to have a nosy around on the edge of the lake and spotted loads of these flitting around and hanging out on a wall. From looking at the dragonfly Ireland website I think it's a Black Tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum).

F6CC21E0175549B4A158647735365148-500.jpg

littlebug wrote: »
    It's amazing what you don't see when you're not looking :). I've started taking the camera everywhere with me. After a run this evening I decided to have a nosy around on the edge of the lake and spotted loads of these flitting around and hanging out on a wall. From looking at the dragonfly Ireland website I think it's a Black Tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum).
    It is and at rest on stone which is typical. Have only ever seen one myself, at my pond on the only stone around my pond. I've rectified this now and have more stones.
    The female is mainly yellow.

A pair of Common Bluet. She is about to comence ovipositing/lay eggs which she did underwater into plant stem. The male let go when she went under!
    62F5ABC9D58F4EA6B80D1E9BF754CC77.jpg

He waited above
    2431FF8D1D7F4108A1958528C381830B.jpg

She may stay under water for more than 30 minutes before coming up for air. When finished, she is so saturated she can't fly, but they can be very efficient in using their wings to propel along surface of water to plant so she can climb out to dry off.

Common Bluetail
    D36C526A384A476EAA7D76A44B4BBB9F.jpg
    58467029E5D74B1BAD2F37024913E898.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gerard G

Yesterday a dragonfly struck my son in laws van mirror and as the window was open it finished up inside the van where it died. He had never seen anything like it before and out of curiousity he brought it home to us. We had never seen anything like it either and as it was such a beautifiul specimen I contacted a friend to see if he could mount it ( dont know if this is politically correct anymore ).
    When I looked up the internet it seemed to me that the specimen most closely resembles a Green Darner Dragonfly - native to the Americas. From my research it appears this species has not previously been recorded in Ireland and only once in the U.K. ( Scilly Isles ) in 1998 following hurricanes in the Carribean.
    When the specimen is mounted and dried out I will post some pictures. I could be totally wrong as I know absolutely nothing about dragonflies and any advice would be appreciated.
    The incident occurred in West Cork between Skibbereen and Ballydehob.

• Advertisement

Can you get any sort of photo for now?
    There is very little visual difference between Green Darner and Blue Emperor of which the latter is well established in Ireland including West Cork.

If you have considered Emperor when making your determination then please explain why you think it is not this species.

There are a couple photos of Blue Emperor in another thread though they may be female and males look a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Is this a common Blue female?
    P6200039.jpg
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

wgsten wrote: »
    Is this a common Blue female?
    wgsten
    Yes it is :)

Mothman wrote: »
    Yes it is :)
    Thanks Mothman.
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

A couple from yesterday morning on Pollardstown Fen

4739472085_cca562be9a_z.jpg

4739469843_fe156bb821_z.jpg

4740101760_24d40cbeed_z.jpg

4740089678_fd1db112ac_z.jpg

And finally a slightly different view

4739468633_d2af00a8ed_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice variations in the Bluetails.
    The 2nd last one is a male Variable Damselfly/Variable Bluet. It hasn't featured in this thread before. Often the antehumeral stripes (blue stripes on top of thorax/body) is broken. not complete as in this specimen

no 1 taken by my 5 year old :D

ED97C7548F5B475A92788D213B269C81-500.jpg

Then he spotted this one on the ground ??

415F52F7EEDE43F4B8CA9DAEBF06B767-500.jpg

Is this a Beaded Demoiselle ? Not great angles... I couldn't get close.

B7A4C6A9F9C04CAE908901FE144A79E4-500.jpg

65AAC16144194979948A10B54D955868-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

brilliant shots lads and was just thinking what a great resource this is. I have been meaning to learn more about damsels and dragons as I spend a lot of time just enjoying watching them. Ask me whatever about birds but to have your posts and excellent photos and explanations on here is a gem.
    Seriously, thank you for posting.
    Tom

Sorry, Littlebug, overlooked this lot
    littlebug wrote: »
    no 1 taken by my 5 year old :D
    A male Common Bluet/Common Blue Damselfly. Nice shot!
    Then he spotted this one on the ground ??
    This is what is called a teneral. One that has just emerged. It takes a few hours before they get any colour and a few days before they have the full mature colouration. This one is so recently emerged, I can't tell what species it is.

Is this a Beaded Demoiselle ? Not great angles... I couldn't get close.
    Banded or Beautiful Demoiselle. Judging by the inflight photo, the colour on wing seems to be restricted to middle part which would make it Banded Demoiselle.

Here is some from the banks of the river Barrow. The first picture is a Banded Demoiselle i am unsure of the second picture as to whether it it an imature Banded or a mature Beautiful Demoiselle. Mothman again i require your excellent help.

P6202490.jpg

P6202499.jpg

wgsten

i am unsure of the second picture as to whether it it an imature Banded or a mature Beautiful Demoiselle. Mothman again i require your excellent help.
    This is a female. Note the extra depth of the last 2 segments of the abdomen and the ovipositer (bit that lays eggs) can be seen underneath at very end.
    While I'm not 100% sure it is probably Banded Demoiselle not only because of the fact that a male is nearby (though both species can be found together) but it looks more like this species also.

Thanks Mothman. I have some more pictures of another female? if they are of any help i can post them here.
    wgsten

Thanks Mothman. I have some more pictures of another female? if they are of any help i can post them here.
    wgsten
    Won't help me, I've very little experience of female demoiselles.

a couple I took today. I'm going round in circles on the dragonfly ireland website trying to find out what they are and all I can figure out is that the second one is a female.... something :o

890B3DE4B13744DDAFB0D8533163338E-500.jpg

115ADD3BC9304DFB9D4AF8645E0E3292-500.jpg

Common Darter and female Brown Hawker
    One aspect to look at with the Hawker species are the antehumeral stripes on front half of thorax. I've circled it in the attachment. Brown Hawker has none. Note that Migrant Hawker and female Common Hawker/Moorland Hawker have short narrow stripes and from some angles they may appear to have none.
    The wings on this one are quite tinted though females of other species can get dirty giving a tinted appearance

• Advertisement

Large Red Damsellfly from the lake in Donadea Wood.

P7113358.jpg

P7113345.jpg

wgsten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Can anyone give an indication as to the sizes of dragonflies? I saw one a couple of weeks ago that was larger than any I've ever seen. Unfortunately it was moving around too much and never landed so I didn't get a picture. It was easily two or three times longer than a common blue damselfly would be. It was mostly brown, and seemed to be somewhat striped with lighter colours along the side. Perhaps it was a brown hawker like the second picture that Littlebug posted. How big would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

See the hawkers? They are big and you can hear them. When they fly in to hawk about they clack their wings at each other, like small chinook helicopters.

Alliandre wrote: »
    Can anyone give an indication as to the sizes of dragonflies? I saw one a couple of weeks ago that was larger than any I've ever seen. Unfortunately it was moving around too much and never landed so I didn't get a picture. It was easily two or three times longer than a common blue damselfly would be. It was mostly brown, and seemed to be somewhat striped with lighter colours along the side. Perhaps it was a brown hawker like the second picture that Littlebug posted. How big would they be?
    The large ones such as Brown Hawker are about 3 inches 80mm long so this would fit

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I remember the first time I met a couple of dragon flies when I was out for a walk. They were soo big they completly creeped me out.

Saw about six or so this year over drains in the bog, lovely to watch them. The images here are smashing, great to have a look at them closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Comparing with the pic in a post above, this looks like a Common Darter in my garden today?

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=7004
    picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=7005
    picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=7006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

2rxi7vs.jpg

Female Emperor dragonfly ovipositing (I think)

Female Emperor dragonfly ovipositing (I think)

Where was this taken?, because this is a female Southern Hawker :eek: Emperor Dragonfly doesn't have spots
    If this is in Ireland, this is very significant, only one confirmed record though I've heard of a sighting or 2 since but they never made it to the record books.

Comparing with the pic in a post above, this looks like a Common Darter in my garden today?
    Yes it is, I think a very mature female

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Mothman wrote: »
    Where was this taken?, because this is a female Southern Hawker :eek: Emperor Dragonfly doesn't have spots
    If this is in Ireland, this is very significant, only one confirmed record though I've heard of a sighting or 2 since but they never made it to the record books.
    No such luck, I took it in Cambridge (england) at the weekend...

Advertisement