Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde bull for heifers?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

From the ICBF site, these are the "Height Withers" values for some of the BB bulls mentioned

DEP - 4.7
    FHZ - 4.6
    KYR - unknown
    VAP - 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭limo_100

pakalasa wrote: »
    From the ICBF site, these are the "Height Withers" values for some of the BB bulls mentioned

DEP - 4.7
    FHZ - 4.6
    KYR - unknown
    VAP - 4.5

where did ya get these figures pak?? does that repesent the height of the animal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

limo_100 wrote: »
    where did ya get these figures pak?? does that repesent the height of the animal??

Put in the AI code for the bull and click on the 'Linear Type' tab. Then the 'Trait Distribution' tab. The values are in the 'Skeletal box' under the 'Progeny' column. Don't know what the values are exactly but can be used to compare.

Or you can just look at the percentile value on the chart in the 'Linear Type' window. This might be better to compare.

has anyone have an opinion on our used these blue bulls SEU and BCZ thinking of using them this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teddd

Had to section a lim cow carrying SEU last year! Hes not easy calved, youd want a very wide cow and have her on restricted feeding pre calving and just hope for the best :D

• Advertisement

teddd wrote: »
    Had to section a lim cow carrying SEU last year! Hes not easy calved, youd want a very wide cow and have her on restricted feeding pre calving and just hope for the best :D

what was the quality of the calf like when you got him landed?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

yeh was at an open day on a farm about 6 mts back that guy had a crackin seu calf also born by section!

yeh was at an open day on a farm about 6 mts back that guy had a crackin seu calf also born by section!

so there seems to be abit of an OVO about him then. The only reason id be interested in using him is hes very tall and its difficult to find a blue bull with that trait. Was the calf tall?

It was a very nice heifer calf, good bone, fairly tall and nice shape. got 1200 for her there in febuary, weight 350kg! but taking the section and all into account, a easier calved bull would be the way to go!!

It was a very nice heifer calf, good bone, fairly tall and nice shape. got 1200 for her there in febuary, weight 350kg! but taking the section and all into account, a easier calved bull would be the way to go!!

so ul hardly bother using him again so. Which bulls are you getting good results with?

• Advertisement

Had been getting good results with byu, hwn, ovo in the past, there gone now. also, kib bred some good calves! Couple of ross alo calves were ok, was expecting more! Belgian blue bull orme (ODY) from eurogene, nice calves off him and not that hard calved! Have used lgl on 3 cows, not calved yet though!

Had been getting good results with byu, hwn, ovo in the past, there gone now. also, kib bred some good calves! Couple of ross alo calves were ok, was expecting more! Belgian blue bull orme (ODY) from eurogene, nice calves off him and not that hard calved! Have used lgl on 3 cows, not calved yet though!

will you let me how you get on with LGL id be interested to see how he is. I will have an AZL calf in a few weeks and a DEP calf so hopefully the quality will be gud

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Just wondering about crossing Kilmoney Bruce (KCE) on a BYU cow. The cow herself is out of angus cow. Has anybody tried crossing a blonde bull on a blue cow before? The cow is black so I dont want to end up with a mousey coloured calf. I was going to give her CWI but would be interesed to hear if blue cow blonde bull is a good cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

IMO the DAQ crossed with either a black or a blue is a great cross, adds lots of growth and keeps the style. the AA influence leaves them easier fleshed. Colour never worried me if the calf was off a good enough quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Just wondering about crossing Kilmoney Bruce (KCE) on a BYU cow. The cow herself is out of angus cow. Has anybody tried crossing a blonde bull on a blue cow before? The cow is black so I dont want to end up with a mousey coloured calf. I was going to give her CWI but would be interesed to hear if blue cow blonde bull is a good cross.

Ya Robinbanks, bin there done that, won't be doing it again though unless something goes wrong with my angus bull. Had a big dopey calf that died after 3 days. Used a jack, as I thought it was an angus calf when I saw the black feet. Cow is ok but she'll be going towards paying the silage contractor:).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

RobinBanks wrote: »

Iv two Kilmoney Bruce calves here out of white belgian blue cows . Very easy calved , (maybe too easy :rolleyes:) .
    Both came brown and white . Il put up pictures of them later when i get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

yes done that and you will have a mousey coloured calf.if she has a heifer calf and you dont like the colour leg wax will take her.i have one at the moment with a stq calf under her and its pure muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

leg wax wrote: »
    yes done that and you will have a mousey coloured calf.if she has a heifer calf and you dont like the colour leg wax will take her.i have one at the moment with a stq calf under her and its pure muscle.

Well I ended up giving her CWI legwax. If I had seen ur reply before the A.I man called i might have made a different choice! Ah well as long as she holds in-calf now anyway thats all that matters to me. I used KCE on the red whithead cow that had the good EDJ calf that i showed in the picture thread. That should be a decent cross. I might give KCE to the maine anjou heifers aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I haven't crossed a BB with a BA until this year We put a BB on a good BA cow so we shall see what happens.
    I have seen super stock off BBX cows and a Part bull.

Advertisement