Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ex-tenant won't pay for bills!

• 21-08-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Hi all,

I rent a couple of rooms in my house. They pay a months deposit up front. They lodge the rent into my account at the start of every month. I pay the bills when they arrive, and every three/four months I add them up and split them between everyone. Has worked out grand so far. :)

I got a tenant near the end of last year. She was consistently late with the rent. A couple of months she paind at the end of the month! This is not some 18 year old chancer - this woman is in her forties, has a good job and drives a much fancier car than me! Her excuse was that she was building a house back home, and she was stuck for money that month. I do not charge high rent. I couldn't believe her!

I told her about the bills. Big chart on the fridge door showing how much everyone owes. No bill money from her!

A few months ago, she got a new job in the west of the country (pretty high up, from what she was saying!). She gave me the required months notice. I was away from the house that week, but I would be back on the friday to meet her and sort everything out. So far so good. :rolleyes:

I arrived back at the house on friday. She was gone! She had moved out the day before - and left her key with the other tenant! She texted me to say "take the bills out of the deposit and give the rest to the other girl" :eek:

I texted here back - saying the deposit does not cover all the bills she owed. She still owes me 160 euro. No response. Rang her, no response. No returned call. I have been calling her twice a week for the last two months. No reply. She answered once (I think by accident!!) and she said she would put the money in. This was just before the Ulster bank fiasco. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt for a few weeks. But still no money and no answer! :mad:

At this point, I don't know what to do. All I have is her mobile and her home address (up north). I can't remember the name of her new company. It is now a matter of principal - she messed me around so much paying me rent, that I will not let this go. I'm opened to suggestions on what to do next. I would take a legal route as a last resort, but that would probably cost me a fortune, and I wouldn't know where to start. :confused:

Any help appreciated! :o Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Send her a registered letter with the bill, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You may have to chalk this one down to experience, and look at how bills are paid in your home. Work out the average for bills in advance, and get it in advance from your tenants maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

MarkR wrote: »
    Send her a registered letter with the bill, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You may have to chalk this one down to experience, and look at how bills are paid in your home. Work out the average for bills in advance, and get it in advance from your tenants maybe?

I would love to chalk it down to experience - but I don't think I can. It's the fact that she's building a house, has a high paid job, a nice car, and yet screwed me on money that she obviously owes me! She isn't stupid - she deliberately left a day early without telling me, and I can't stand that sort of underhanded behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

At this stage is more hassle than it's worth ,let it go .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If the job is pretty high up as she said and if you have an idea of the industry she is in then I would suggest a quick google and more than likely her linkedIn profile should pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Genuinely I would chalk it down to experience. She's gone. You have been burned. End of story. Do not not beat yourself up about it. Being a landlord is far from a bed of roses. Just ensure it does not happen to you again. My stock line if someone tried anything funny around money was to say "I too have financial obligations that have to be met" in other words I could not give a toss what financial hardship you are in I want my money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How much is your time worth? Short of turning up at her door, I don't see anything happening.

Best you can do is send a letter and hope for the best.

Shame there isn't a way to volunteer her info for the property tax! :-) If she's holding out on you, she's probably holding out on that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

What kind of bills do you have????

160 on top of a months room rental, and it being split.

Going by the average room rate where i live.

say 300-400 plus 160 is 460-560.

For 3-4 months bill and being split between more than 1 person sounds a bit much.

You need to cut down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sounds like either let it go, or if possible track her down somehow (maybe even try trace her parents in phonebook?), and go the small-claims court route.
    I don't know and i'm clearly not giving legal advice, but i'd imagine all you need to bring a case would be definite name and address (maybe the system even has a way of locating an individual if case is submitted...?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

ripcord wrote: »
    I would love to chalk it down to experience - but I don't think I can.

You dont think you can???

You have a choice;

spend the next few months annoying yourself chasing 160e you will never see or just look at it as it cost you 160e never to deal with this person again. Probably a lucky escape!

Learn and move on!

Consider it a lesson - in future do the bills more frequently.

I was stung for more than that when I left a house share recently - it is mostly my drunk former housemates fault, partly my own for letting it build up. I really shouldn't have paid the last ESB bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

frag420 wrote: »
    If the job is pretty high up as she said and if you have an idea of the industry she is in then I would suggest a quick google and more than likely her linkedIn profile should pop up.

Thanks! Found her profile and job info on LinkedIn!! Jesus why didn't I think of that! Soemtimes the easiest answer is right in front of you.

At least now I have an alternative way of contacting her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Email her through her company email or phone number. That might get her attention. Just a friendly reminder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

It's only €160, even it was €1,600 I would have said put it down to experience and move on. You made a mistake and you need to learn from it.

Collecting utility money every 3-4 months is way too long.

Most bills are paid every two months but you should still collect something every month to be sure.

Live and learn. Move on. It's €160 in the long run. No point stressing or wasting your time. Mental well being is far too important.

Edit:
    Personally I would accept the money is gone but would not hold back on calling her everyday to remind her of her outstanding debt. Perhaps call her workplace everyday, she may just crack (or just change her mobile number). Either way, I would consider her having to change her mobile a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would chalk it down as a loss and ring her work for the craic. Just be careful not to defame her etc. Anything you say must be provable or you could end up in world of trouble yourself. She sounds like a right wagon fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Its €160 not €16.Why would the op give up on it. Its his money! Mightn't be the first time she's tried this. And if she gets away with it, it won't be the last. Ring her at work. Repeatedly. Send a letter at work. Mark it "Final Reminder". If you want to be really sneaky, send it to a work colleague "by accident". DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR MONEY OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Telh her a package arrived in the post for her, about the size of a shoebox, and heavy. Fake a photo if you have to.

Tell her to collect it anytime that suits. Don't mention the 160.

When she arrives, ask for the money or no package.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I would chase it. Send a registered letter to her work address informing her that you will follow up via solicitor next. Then do that and include the cost of the solicitor in the debt owed.

People might say it's not worth it but I say you haven't really tried and this woman is stealing your money regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrsMOOO

Did you register the tenancy with the PRTB, otherwise perhaps the small claims court, its the principal of it and why should you be out of pocket :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Consider collecting bill money more frequently. If one collection exceeds the amount of the deposit you ask for then you are leaving yourself open to this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

No way would I let her away with it, even if it was 50 quid, it's the principle of the thing, at least make one effort to chase her up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

djimi wrote: »
    Consider collecting bill money more frequently. If one collection exceeds the amount of the deposit you ask for then you are leaving yourself open to this kind of thing.

Agreed. It's a bit unfair to ask for such a sizable amount of money in one go...not that it absolves her from payment!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi all,

I rent a couple of rooms in my house. They pay a months deposit up front. They lodge the rent into my account at the start of every month. I pay the bills when they arrive, and every three/four months I add them up and split them between everyone. Has worked out grand so far. :)

I got a tenant near the end of last year. She was consistently late with the rent. A couple of months she paind at the end of the month! This is not some 18 year old chancer - this woman is in her forties, has a good job and drives a much fancier car than me! Her excuse was that she was building a house back home, and she was stuck for money that month. I do not charge high rent. I couldn't believe her!

I told her about the bills. Big chart on the fridge door showing how much everyone owes. No bill money from her!

A few months ago, she got a new job in the west of the country (pretty high up, from what she was saying!). She gave me the required months notice. I was away from the house that week, but I would be back on the friday to meet her and sort everything out. So far so good. :rolleyes:

I arrived back at the house on friday. She was gone! She had moved out the day before - and left her key with the other tenant! She texted me to say "take the bills out of the deposit and give the rest to the other girl" :eek:

I texted here back - saying the deposit does not cover all the bills she owed. She still owes me 160 euro. No response. Rang her, no response. No returned call. I have been calling her twice a week for the last two months. No reply. She answered once (I think by accident!!) and she said she would put the money in. This was just before the Ulster bank fiasco. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt for a few weeks. But still no money and no answer! :mad:

At this point, I don't know what to do. All I have is her mobile and her home address (up north). I can't remember the name of her new company. It is now a matter of principal - she messed me around so much paying me rent, that I will not let this go. I'm opened to suggestions on what to do next. I would take a legal route as a last resort, but that would probably cost me a fortune, and I wouldn't know where to start. :confused:

Any help appreciated! :o Thanks!
    find out where she works,it cant be that hard to find it out..........leave a message with the receptionist ,asking her where you could meet her and collect the rent arrears, the embarrassment should work. and if it dosent the receptionist will tell everyone on the job anyway..........:rolleyes:;):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MrsMOOO wrote: »
    Did you register the tenancy with the PRTB, otherwise perhaps the small claims court, its the principal of it and why should you be out of pocket :(

Doesn't apply, the landlord is using the rent a room scheme in an owner occupied property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting it back, but neither would I let it go so easily. She took advantage of your generosity and that sort of behaviour really pi$$es me off. Personally I'd be sending letters to her home, her workplace, her parents, her local supermarket, any connection I could think of etc on a weekly basis to remind her of her obligations. Even if I didn't get the money back there would be some consolation in making things a bit less comfortable for someone who thinks they can sail through life and pi$$ all over people on their way through.
    (You may guess that I was similarly shafted some time ago, did nothing about it at the time, and will probably remain forever bitter as a result.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You have no effective legal recourse, and you are only hurting yourself by stressing about it.

I have to laugh at the people here who are suggesting a solicitor.....Boggles the mind to be honest.

Advertisement