Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings

• 23-05-2005 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Where can I find out details of the TV ratings (most watched programmes) for a certain week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Well... don't know where to get most channels but the RTÉ guide and Aertel (pg 369) both show top ten for their two channels and TG4 have top ten under the heading TAM (Television Audience Measurement) on their wepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

TV Now do one I hear - though I can't verify that as I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Neilson do the ratings for TV shows. Try contacting them. Or RTE's advertising department.

On the other hand if you are looking for US ratings you can find them here.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/ (click top right Nielsen Top 10 TV ratings)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

RTÉ list the ratings for both RTÉ One and RTÉ Two on their Aertel pages here: http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p369.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Thanks for all your help. I checked the aertel page but as the song goes "I still haven't found what I'm lookin for". I'm gonna mail RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I use the 369 page all of the time, unfortunately the sevice has been reduced substantially over the past few years.

It used to give the top 20 for RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2 and TV3. Then it dropped to just the top 10 for the three stations, and finally it dropped TV3 altogether - just focusing now on RTÉ 1 & 2 :(

One wonders if they used TV3 at the beginning as its ratings were appalling at first, but as time progressed they began to show RTÉ up so they ditched them...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

www.medialive.ie
    www.tg4.ie

Each week in TV Now for 1,2 and 3.

and also page 365.

Could we have this as a sticky as this is a FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Its the same pretty much every week! TV3 get highest figures for corrie ... then RTE1 come second (but remains high), then RTE2 starts about 2 or 300,000 below TV3's highest rating!

Man, I genuinely had no idea that TV3 were doing that well! Good on them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thread now stickied. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well TV3's only good ratings are for Corrie, if it wasnt for that they'd be struggling with RTE2

"struggling with RTE2" would still be a respectable position after - what - ten years on air?

I expected them to be a distant, lagging third for some reason, even though I probably watch it more often than RTE2.

I expected them to be a distant, lagging third for some reason, even though I probably watch it more often than RTE2.

TV3 has from 600,000 - 200,000 viewers for their ITV soaps.

1. Coro St. 600,000 - 400,000 on a good week
    2. Emmers 400,000 - 250,000 on a really good week
    3. Heartbeat/The Royal - averages 200,000 viewers.

It remains a distant 2ND place to RTE One. As it has not really done anything to change that, they rely heavily on Both Emmers and Corro do bring in viewers.

RTE One relys heavily on the old reliables unfortunately. The Late Late Show, Winning Streak, Fair City and EastEnders.

Its top twenty gets from 600,000 veiwers to 400,000 on a good week.

RTE Two is doing well with Desparte House wifes and are lucky to have it. But its majority of viewers come from sport.

RTE Two has from 350,000 to 150,000 on a good week

To summerise

1. RTE One's has form 600,000 - 350,000 viewers for its top 20 (Total Share 34%)
    2. TV3 has from 600,000 - 150,000 viewers for its top 20 (Total Share 15%)
    3. RTE TWO has from 350,000 - 150,000 viewers for its top 20 (Total Share 11%)
    4. TG4 has from 100,000 to 30,000 for its top 10 (Total Share 3%)

TV3 could do better if it had some more (ok some) Irish shows to fill around Coro St. and Emmerdale IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Will The Late Late Show ever get 1million viewers. Maybe if they get Bin Laden on or someone like that. Or Elvis.

The late late is the only show to ever get 1million viewers each year.

The Toy Show.

Will any show ever reach 1million viewers?

It's Unlikely

Coronation Street and Fair City have each reached 1million but that was pre-2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Elmo wrote:
    The late late is the only show to ever get 1million viewers each year.

The Toy Show.

It's Unlikely

Coronation Street and Fair City have each reached 1million but that was pre-2001.

I'm pretty sure the Eddie Hobbs show Rip-Off Republic got over 1 million viewers.

I'm pretty sure the Eddie Hobbs show Rip-Off Republic got over 1 million viewers.

Yeah the cork man did well but not that well he had an estimated 800,000 viewers (on average) for Rip Off Ireland.

http://www.medialive.ie/Television/sept-rev2005.html

http://www.medialive.ie/Television/top_a.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

Does anybody know anybody with one of the systems in their house that actually measures who is watching what? You would have to question the method. I'm not 100% sure but I think the UK use a different method?

Last year some great ratings for the likes of Podge & Rodge, The Popes Children, has a lot to do with market share and not just overall ratings. Not much point in putting something on at 7.30 or 8pm and trying to compete with Corrie and Eastenders.

Has anybody been watching Dan and Becks the last two nights on RTE TWO. Not very impressed but at least it is semi-original.

Does anybody know anybody with one of the systems in their house that actually measures who is watching what? You would have to question the method. I'm not 100% sure but I think the UK use a different method?

I know your not suggesting that the UK method is better then the Irish method but prehaps their method isn't 100% correct either.

Channel 6, Satanta and Sky want more involvement in the research and think that 4 TV channel households are overly represented, MulitChannel being under represented.
    Not much point in putting something on at 7.30 or 8pm and trying to compete with Corrie and Eastenders.

I think its time someone had the guts to put something up againist the Soaps.

Emmerdale and EastEnders weren't half as popular when their where on the other channel i.e. EastEnders had 150,000 viewers on TV3 it now gets 400,000 viewers on RTE ONE and Emmerdale wasn't even on during primetime, I had about 100,000 viewers on RTE ONE it now has 350,000 viewers.

I HATE SOAP.
    Last year some great ratings for the likes of Podge & Rodge, The Popes Children, has a lot to do with market share and not just overall ratings.

RTE made it into second place down to LOST, DH, R&P and Sport, but then the only reason that TV3 got to be the second most watch channel was because of Corro St, Emmers and ITV Reality.

I HATE REALITY :)

Other then those shows TV3 and RTE 2 have very little orginal programming of their own and the ratings for other show are way below the 200,000 mark.
    Has anybody been watching Dan and Becks the last two nights on RTE TWO. Not very impressed but at least it is semi-original.

I only saw the first episode, didn't think it was that orginal i.e. Ross O'Carroll Kelly meets Rob Brydon.

They should really just make ROCK the TV show, ROYSH.

• Advertisement

Yeah couldn't agree more.
    But the thing about the soaps and the reality shows is that they are needed to get advertisers so that there is money to produce more home-produced programming.

Chasing the Lions (with Hector) was made by his own company and TV3, I thought it was class. TV3 also made a decent (wasn't really my bag but production values) Diary of a Debutant.

As regards ROCK - it MUST have been suggested. The guy who writes it Paul Howard surely went to them with an idea but I would guess he wanted too much money or something so they got your man Coffey (who was involved with Bachelors Walk) to do it. Dan & Becks to me is a poor man's attempt at doing Ross O'C-K. Affluence.

(The guy who writes Ross is from the Brack)

Chasing the Lions (with Hector) was made by his own company and TV3, I thought it was class. TV3 also made a decent (wasn't really my bag but production values) Diary of a Debutant.

They where good but surely not very expensive to make. AFAIK Diary of a Debutant was produced with the Sound and Vision Fund but I could be wrong about that.

TV3 have plenty of money to make Irish TV. They just couldn't be arsed. I would argue this point futher but I am sure other board members are sick of me giving out about TV3.

Also TV3 and RTE 2 could try to have some orginal programming of there own, generally it gets good viewership when it gets it. A TG4 approach to budgeting is what they need to think about. IMO.

I think we will see an increase in the amount of Irish programming and a definite increase in the quality of it. BCI funding must surely raise the overall bar. I watched the Hidden History last week (and the week before) presented by Cathal O'Shannon, made by Tile Films (based in Dublin) and a Canadian company. It just oozed big budget. Perhaps co-production with foreign companies should be chased up by more companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

Elmo wrote:

It's Unlikely

also i recall an episode of glenroe once getting ratings of over 1 million... cant rememer exactly though.... it was a murder storyline

and how are the ratings calculated? how do "they" know how many tv's are watching one particular channel? :confused:

cmoney wrote:
    also i recall an episode of glenroe once getting ratings of over 1 million... cant rememer exactly though.... it was a murder storyline

and how are the ratings calculated? how do "they" know how many tv's are watching one particular channel? :confused:

You know what... I don't know if this has ever really been fully explained here and I don't see any reason to not explain it... so here it is...

3 times a year AGB Nielsen Media Research do an nationwide household establishment survey to ascertain the landscape of television viewing in Ireland. They ask questions about how you received tv in your house, how many tvs you have, what channels you have, are there any kids in the house... that kind of thing... and from that and population figures from the CSO they calculate the universes for the various demographics. A universe is the number of people in each demographics group (e.g. Individuals Nationals) and if you have 1% of that universe viewing a channel at one time that equals 1 TVR.

From the people they've surveyed they recruit a panel to measure tv viewing (not a new one every year, they just add and subtract people from the panel as necessary). There are approx 680 homes in Ireland on this panel though this may change soon. In a panel home every tv in the house is connected to a box and the box records what channel is being watched at what time. To know who is watching the channel (i.e. what demographic) each person in the household has a button on a remote control for the box. So, when Freddie, male aged 23, sits down and turns on the tv and starts watching he then has to press his button to say he's watching.

To make the panel representative of the Irish population, every person on the panel is assigned a weight. So, just as an example (not real figures) Freddie could be representing 2,000 people in the Men 15-34 age group. If there are say, 10,000 people in that age group (universe) then that would mean that whatever programme Freddie was watching got a rating of 20 TVR... if there were only 4,000 people watching at the time that would mean that Freddie's show got a 50% share with that 20 TVR.

Anyway, overnight all the data from the boxes around Ireland is sent back to AGB Nielsen Media Research, they combine this information with the programme and commercial logs they received from the subscribing channels in the morning or during the week then they send it back to the tv industry who go and do with it whatever they will... This process is all part of the contract that AGB Nielsen Media Research has with the tv industry here in Ireland.

Basically I think that's it... well... when it comes to weights and all it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of the process.

Any questions?

Question what about the method? not meaning this aggressively... I just mean... do you mean the concept of the panel, the methodology of the capture or the way mathematically that ratings calculated? (which I haven't covered above but I don't think this is the place for it...)

Oh, also AGB Nielsen Media Research have some newsletters, no programme ratings though...

http://www.agbnielsen.net/whereweare/dynPage.asp?lang=english&id=393&country=Ireland

and before you ask, I don't work for them... I'd imagine I'd probably be in trouble now if I did...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Lochaber wrote: »
    Any questions?

Do the 600 people on the panel get paid to have that box there? How do they pick the panel? I've never met anyone with one of these boxes.

Hey there,

Sorry, I haven't checked the forum in a while...

People on the panel don't get paid but they get "points" for various things which accrue into vouchers that can be used to buy stuff... there's a view that if they were actually paid it might influence them somehow. It's not the case in all countries though... in some countries people on the tv ratings panel do get paid.

As for how they are picked to get a box, they are selected from the people who did the establishment survey and asked if they would go on the panel. They pick the people who best fit the demographic and other criteria that they are lacking from the panel. So for example if a household that has say... 2 people aged 15-34 one male and one female with digital reception in Dublin, decides to leave the panel then they have to go looking for a new household to fill that gap and the only way to know if a household fills those criteria is by using the answers they already have from the survey. People are picked to do the establishment survey randomly in each area by address.

For the record, I've never met anyone with one of those boxes either... however as far as I know, they're not really supposed to tell people they have them. I suppose you'd find out if you went around their house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭CountryGirl1

I much prefer RTE2 over the rest of the channels.:cool:They always show the best American shows while TV3 just shows rubbish documentarys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hows the Apprentice doing in ratings for TV3?

• Advertisement

TV3 over estimated the success of The Apprentice. Which I have said before is a fairly average show, which isn't a bad thing since I actually like all version of the show. However this may not keep the viewers.

It is schedule on one of the most popular days of the week for Television viewing. Both RTE, TV3 and TG4 know this, TG4 can attain 90,000 viewers for some of its Monday Night shows. This is different this season with the apprentice taking so many viewers but also that RTE every year put the their prime documentaries and dramas on RTE ONE and RTE TWO. This means that competition on a Monday night this year has been huge. Which is a good thing.

So how are they all fairing: -

Well RTE One remains on top with the Nine O'Clock news, Bertie, Who do You think you are, Bank holiday movie and where was your family during the famine all getting average viewing of 500,000.

RTE TWO has been a surprise this year (mainly because this has been their worst year for new productions) but they all got a good market share RTE TWO kept up an average of 200,000 viewers for Monday night, with RAW, Katherine Lynch, Living With Lucy, Rodge and Podge and others short live series, I would be surprised if the J1 show continues with this phenomona of bad successful TV for RTE TWO.

And TV3 have averaged 250,000 viewers for the apprentice. But most weeks it has added viewers and it should be helped by I'm a Celeb..... and that it is coming to its climax. But you also have to take in to account that TV3 repeat this show twice and again on Channel Six. (twice in prime time).

I think TV3 wanted around 500,000 (on average) viewers for this show and over estimated the popularity of the show.

I haven't seen TG4 TAMs since the redid their website :(

Advertisement