Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Abby read your PM message- twice!- last night, for todays first ever swim meet. She was nervous almost to tears beforehand, but came away with a 45sec 50m FS (thats about 7 seconds off her pb). Her exact words during a two-hour car conversation/deconstruction analysis: "Dory Dory is totally right, you feel real nervous beforehand, but once the gun goes and you hit the water you feel magic!"

Thanks Carol, you're a star :D

Super duper congratulations on her shiny new pb!!! (I assume you mean she bettered her old pb by 7 seconds) Yeah...nerves suck, but they are so "normal", and she'll learn how to manage them the more she competes. And do tell her that the magic she felt when she hit the water never goes away if she's got heart, desire and determination. ;) Hugs to Abby!!! :):D

Sunday, December 14th, 2014

Run plan: 12 miles easy

This was done urban street style on the ups and downs of Main Street and the flats of the Greenway (which I haven't been on in about 10 months!) on a sunshiny and crisp morning. Legs were properly pooped at the start of this run having done 21 cumulative miles in the 48 hours prior, so this was pretty slow going until for some crazy reason I got into a hypnotic groove going up "the hill" on mile 6, and then all of a sudden the pace just picked up. ?? Crazy. But effort felt fine. Paces were much faster on miles 7 thru 11 (these were also mainly flat or downhill!), then on the last mile there were enough hills to slow me w-a-y down again.

Actual run: 12.2 miles in 1:51:33 for an average pace of 9:09 min/mile

Hit the Cat for some kitty love - 45 minutes of spinning.....then stretching and evil, evil foam rolling!

Monday, December 15th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

A little sneaky lunchtime action in the field. Six times around, and this was S.L.O.W.

Pool installation is also S.L.O.W. But, there's a tiny bit of water in it, the pool cover works, and the guy who's installing it swears he'll never do another one! ;) Ah, he's such a jokester! :D

Crazy insane week for me....so there won't be a whole lot of extras beyond the run plan until I get thru Sunday. You gotta love the holidays!!! :rolleyes::)

Actual run: 4.2 recovery field miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »

Pool installation is also S.L.O.W. But, there's a tiny bit of water in it, the pool cover works, and the guy who's installing it swears he'll never do another one! ;) Ah, he's such a jokester! :D

So it's official?!? Fantastic move!

You've just upped the game on what "Triathlon spend" means around here. All partners, significant others, husbands and wives, who complain about the price of the new bikes, turbos, 920's, found under the Xmas tree this year will be referred to your log for comparison;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

So it's official?!? Fantastic move!

You've just upped the game on what "Triathlon spend" means around here. All partners, significant others, husbands and wives, who complain about the price of the new bikes, turbos, 920's, found under the Xmas tree this year will be referred to your log for comparison;)

Yes Jackyback is going to have whip out the wallet and come up with a big one to top that! Hes gone quite recently.....even selling off one of the powermeters :(

• Advertisement

Tuesday, December 16th, 2014

Run plan: 5 miles easy, am...7 miles easy, pm

:( I just now realized that the early run was supposed to be 5 miles and not 4. Ugh. But because I tend to read the plan when it is given to me at the start of the week, and then go from memory a little too casually when I know it's an easy day, a mistake like this was bound to happen. And, as absolute nuts as I am this week, I am SO not surprised this mistake occurred. Not the end of the world, but shades of shabbiness, nonetheless.

But any way....

Due to my day of insanity, I was up and on the treadmill at 4:45 this morning to knock out my, eh hem, 4 early miles. Good god, I am not an up-and-at-'em kind of runner. I need more than 5 minutes of wiping the sleep out of my eyes and fumbling my way down two flights of stairs to remotely resemble a runner of any kind. :eek: I started out at a pace of 10 min/mile, but when the body immediately revolted, I eased it back to something much slower (to the 5 on the treadie!) and worked my way up to that sizzling 10 min/mile pace, taking a full 2 miles to get there. :o

Actual run: 4 treadmill miles done at an ungodly hour in the morning

And, a mere 4 hours later at the hour of 9:00ish in the morning, I had my only window of the day to get the second run in. I snuck out of work....pulled on warm running gear....slapped on some good tunes....and headed out into the soggy field to do this in the gentle rain. Uncharacteristically, I had my Garmin with me, but only because I wanted to do my modified figure eights, and I wanted to be sure of the measurement. I didn't bother looking at the paces while I was running, but post-run I saw that my average pace was 9:15 min/mile, which is an honest easy pace.

Tomorrow is a crazy track session....complete with a stand alone mile that should be interesting, to say the least. Hey, good times, right?? ;):)

Actual run: 7 soggy field miles done on the easy

Wednesday, December 17th, 2014

Run plan: track session!! Whoop whoop!! :D
    2 miles easy
    1 mile @ 6:15-6:20
    3 minutes easy
    2 x 400m in on 1:35-1:38 w/1 min recovery
    4 x 200m in on :45 w/1 min recovery
    2 miles easy

Well, one thing I know, I'm getting pretty good at programming my Garmin for these funky track sessions!! :) But I don't always remember my Garmin is programmed under "Custom Workout" for these funky sessions, and today was a fine example of that....however, I had only gone .3 mile when it hit me! So, after a quick stop, button push, scroll, select, and start, I was on my way again. Yeehaw!

Okay...the warmup was lovely. Yep. Lovely. The fast mile after the lovely warmup....well....I went out way too fast. :eek: I honestly had no idea what running a 6:15 pace would feel like, and once I committed to the speed I was traveling at on that first lap, I didn't want to expend any energy checking my watch for the pace. Seriously. So I didn't. I just ran. But by the halfway point into this mile, my entire body was protesting what I was putting it through - even my arms were screaming at me. :eek: But I kept going best I could, even though my pace was slowing. I'm pleased to see my pace registered 6:03 min/mile, but I take that with a grain of salt - a track mile is "artificial", and the Garmin loves to screw with me on the oval. I'll say I made the target pace noted above in my plan, but that's about it.

The 2 x 400s were probably the toughest! I enjoyed the 3 minute recovery after the mile, but I was dying on the second 400 after only having a minute to recover from the first 400, as evidenced by my slower time on that second 400. I honestly would have paid good money to negotiate another 3 minute recovery between the 400s and 200s (good thing ecoli wasn't about!), but I sucked it up and kept the madness going. In the end, the 200s were probably the "easiest" of the quality work for me today. I think I handle short stuff and long stuff fairly well. It's the distances in the middle I have a hard time with.

The cool down was as lovely as the warmup....and without noticing my pace in real time for either the warmup or cool down, I see once again the two are nearly identical!

2 mile warmup: 8:29 min/mile avg pace for the 2 miles
    1 mile: 6:03 min/mile
    2 x 400s: in on 1:29, 1:33
    4 x 200s: in on 45, 43, 42, 42
    2 mile cool down: 8:30 min/mile avg pace for the 2 miles

Actual run: 6.4 (+.3) miles in 53:54 for an average pace of 8:25 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Wednesday, December 17th, 2014

Run plan: track session!! Whoop whoop!! :D
    2 miles easy
    1 mile @ 6:15-6:20
    3 minutes easy
    2 x 400m in on 1:35-1:38 w/1 min recovery
    4 x 200m in on :45 w/1 min recovery
    2 miles easy

I must complement you on your Rudisha like 400m splits, I cant blame you for wanting an extra 2 minutes recovery at that pace ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    I must complement you on your Rudisha like 400m splits, I cant blame you for wanting an extra 2 minutes recovery at that pace ;)

Thanks, but I was pushing all I had....and was willing to make a deal with the devil if he'd given me a few extra minutes to recover. But when it was obvious no deal was going to be made, I figured going down in brilliant flames while calling upon my entire worth was more respectable than going off plan. ;)

Thursday, December 18th, 2014

Run plan: 7 miles easy

Hello creaky, old body. Oh how I've not missed you.

And this is what I get for not spinning the legs out after a key, quality session like yesterday's.....nor doing any gentle stretching or evil foam rolling. But I knew going into this week that getting anything other than the run plan itself done would be next to impossible. So, the legs and body pretty much felt like crap throughout this easy 7 miles. The only thing surprising is that the average pace for this modified figure eight field slog was 9:48 min/mile - I would have bet any of you fine folks that it was more of a 10:xx or 11:xx average pace as icky as this felt. Boo hiss. But, I did this run in the crisp early morning sunshine, and I continually reminded myself of how lucky I was to be out running in my field on such a spectacular morning....so, there was that. ;):)

Actual run: 7 yucky-icky-awful-but-lucky-sunshiny field miles

• Advertisement

Friday, December 19th, 2014

Run plan: 3 miles recovery

This was done sneaky lunchtime style in the field under a bit of sunshine. Cold though. And I forgot my gloves. ??? (wtf? who forgets their gloves in weather like this??) Any way....body feeling much better than yesterday, but I took this super handy - I have a little 5k Jingle Bell run in the next county over in the morning, and I'd like to try and better my PB of....wait for it....wait for it.....22:19. :D (I've never bragged about my speed. ;)) But, we'll see what kind of course it is - however, based on last year's times it does not appear to be sizzling fast. And between the fact that the walkers start 15 minutes ahead of the runners (are you serious???), and the fact that I think there is an insane hill on Fodderstack Road that we have to tackle (are you serious???), I might be coming home with my old PB very much alive and well. But here's to a shot! :)

Actual run: 3.5 handy recovery miles

Saturday, December 20th, 2014
    Jingle Bell 5k
    Little Washington, VA

Ahhh....a little holiday 5k to kick off my new season of races. Clean slate in my mind, and all that. It's all about looking forward from this point on. :)

Up and over the mountain to the neighboring county nice and early. To say it was freezing is no exaggeration - I do believe when I left my house it was 23 degrees fahrenheit!! :eek: I arrived at the venue early enough that I decided to drive around a bit (yes, I was that early :o), and as luck would have it, the course was already marked so I had the good fortune of being able to experience it via my vehicle. Yay! The good news was that there was no Fodderstack Road hill (wrong 5k), but the bad news was that there were multiple hills and turns. Oh well, no fast and flat course today!

After I got all checked in and picked up my bib/chip and a very cool t-shirt :D, I bundled up and did a little warmup - probably 2 miles. Legs felt good, and I was feeling hopeful that I'd at least PB today. I lined up behind a row of children (eager little runners, but that meant I'd either be hurdling over them or knocking them down) and we were off without much pomp and circumstance.

Mile 1 - :eek: Off way too fast! Yikes. I led the first half mile, but sure enough I heard footsteps coming - it was 3 gents and 2 ladies swallowing me up. Basically for the remainder of this mile we ran as a pack of 6, but I was happy for the company and was feeling decent for the speed I was running...but I hadn't really hit the hills at this point, in fact, this first mile was a net loss in elevation. 6:28 min/mile.

Mile 2 - This mile contained a down, then a pretty healthy up, and then a corresponding down. And it was on this mile that we met pockets of walkers with their dogs which required some fancy footwork for us runners to get around them. :rolleyes: But I digress. On the first down, I created a gap between me and the 2 ladies and 1 gent, and then just relaxed it down the hill. But, on the healthy up, 1 lady came back to me, and we ran in silence together until we got to the top of the hill, at which time she moved ahead of me and that's where she stayed until the end of the race. I wasn't in too bad shape on this mile, but I was well aware that my inexperience of racing at this distance (translation: the first mile was coming back to bite me) was starting to rear its ugly head. 6:53 min/mile.

Mile 3 - Okay, this mile was all uphill. Different degrees of uphill, but all uphill nonetheless. So, it was tough. Pace slowed miserably....and my head wasn't totally in the game (I knew I had 2nd lady home/4th overall in the bag, so no incentive from that standpoint to push). I was so glad when I turned the last street corner and could see the final turn into the finish, and I upped the pace...but my heart dropped a little when I saw "20:5x" on the clock as I made that final turn and knew I'd not make it to the line in time to go a sub 21. Poop. And I started kicking myself for letting it go out of my grasp on that final mile...for not pushing a little harder when I needed to. 7:16 min/mile.

Overall, it was a 70 second PB...my first PB since DCM last year. Yes, I'm a little disappointed in a few respects, but it's a monkey off my back and a step in the right direction - a fresh start with the hope of good things to come in 2015. And, today was a reminder of the value of races - what a learning/teaching tool they can be. I also enjoyed the festive atmosphere and meeting new people, including the gal who beat me. Lovely young gal (30ish?) and a bit of a triathlete/runner turned cyclocross rock star. And, like me (and Oryx :D), she's doing the Boston marathon in April, so I hope to hook up with her for some running and cycling after the new year. Nice way to spend the morning...and the medal I got for winning my age group is uber cool!! :)

Actual run: 3.1 miles in 21:09 for an average pace of 6:51 min/mile.....plus 2 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

4th and a pb is not too shabby. In these temperatures it's very hard to get any sustained pace going.

Right do some training with her..... then tear her heart out in Boston !

Edit: Wait ... no bling for 2nd female ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    4th and a pb is not too shabby. In these temperatures it's very hard to get any sustained pace going.

Right do some training with her..... then tear her heart out in Boston !

Edit: Wait ... no bling for 2nd female ?

No bling for 2nd female. They must've taken a page from Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights: If you ain't first you're last. :(

And, regarding the temps....I also think it's harder to run all bundled in layers of clothing. Perhaps the next time I get a shot at a 5k I'll have my game face on and my goose-down running coat off. But at least this race has me thinking there's a 20:xx in me yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Dory, great going as usual.

Sunday, December 21st, 2014

Run plan: 16 miles easy

Due to family visiting and holiday goings on, this had to be done in the early morning hours way before the sun was even thinking about making an appearance. :eek: Alarm buzzed at 5:30am....and I was out the door by 6am with nothing but 2 chocolate chip cookies on board to sustain me for my run. Okayokayokay....I've eaten my weight in Christmas confections and crap over the past week or so, and last night I cooked up a feast fit for a king (well, my brother was in attendance!)...however, I was a little curious to see how I'd do nutrition-wise on this long run, and I made the last minute decision to take something along with me that I've never taken on a run before - a bottle of watered down orange juice. I. Love. Orange Juice.

Long story short - most of this was done under the streetlight lit streets of Main Street in the quiet of the morning. I was creaky and slow, but I didn't fret....rather, I just relaxed and enjoyed the time spent in the chilly, crisp winter air on this shortest day of the year. I did the worst hills of town at least twice, treated myself to a spin around the flat of the Greenway once, and finished the run up in my field for the final 3 miles. I really enjoyed the orange juice, and it carried me through this long, slow run just fine. My legs were pretty well spent by mile 10ish (?), which then seemed to make the run all about strength, and reminded me that each session has its own challenges and objectives.

I was very, very, very happy when the Garmin notified me that this run was in the book as that meant it was time for a huge breakfast with the ones I love. :)

Actual run: 16 miles in 2:38:34 for an average dark-of-the-morning slow pace of 9:55 min/mile

I had sort of intended on doing a spin on the Cat tonight, but the truth is I am exhausted from a busy week at work, a 5k PB Jingle Bell race :cool:, and family in from out of town, so instead I am chilling on the couch watching football. It's nice to exhale. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

At the Philly half marathon a coach from the Mammoth Track Club gave a talk. In it he mentioned there was this contrary athlete that always complained after every single race, even after PB'ing (PR'ing). Eventually they made a rule, to shut him up, that if you PR'd you were not allowed to say ANYTHING negative about the race. I thought this was very funny as I can easily complain or find something wrong with a race even when I PR. So, I took this on board and let myself enjoy a race that I PR in. I got to practice this in my recent marathon and as a result have enjoyed the result more so than I would have. So, enjoy the PR for what it is.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I also think it's harder to run all bundled in layers of clothing. Perhaps the next time I get a shot at a 5k I'll have my game face on and my goose-down running coat off. But at least this race has me thinking there's a 20:xx in me yet. :)

I think if you find your inner hulk there's every chance of going a lot faster.
    Try to picture stuff that bothers you ...
    • sloppy accounts
    • missing invoices
    • Swim smooth books

Hmmmm.....I am my own worst critic, no doubt. And I can just about always find something that didn't go "perfectly". But point well made, Duke, so I will tip my hat to your message and promise to only appreciate, bask in, and absorb my next PB, no matter what. :)

Monday, December 22nd, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

A sloppy, sneaky lunchtime field trot in the cold rain. That's honestly about it folks!

Actual run: 4.2 wet and not-so-wild muddy miles

Hopped on the Cat this evening for a quick 30 minutes of spinning to warm the body up for some stretching, core and foam rolling. I've been eating way too much holiday crap, and I'm a little afraid to hop on the scales. I'm seriously considering taking drastic measures come the New Year....drastic measures reminiscent of 2 New Years ago when shotgun and I had a little wager. But I'll allow myself a few exceptions to indulge, namely when I travel to Ireland and Boston. I've got a week or so to think this over.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014.....aka, Festivus!!! ;):D

Run plan: 5 miles easy, am....7 miles easy, pm

Nothing too exciting today - just a sneaky lunchtime wet, rainy, chilly field run that was honestly pretty darned slow (I think I tend to feel the effects of a hard session 48 hours after said session)....and then (due to circumstances beyond my control) a little evening treadmill love while watching Seinfeld (including the hilarious Festivus episode). The field run was 7 times around plus a smidge to equal 5ish miles...and the treadmill trot had a bit of tragedy in it as I may have broken the tv remote control. All I'm going to say is....I'm pretty sure I ruined someone's evening. :(

Actual run: 5 soggy lunchtime field miles....then 7 tragic evening treadie miles

• Advertisement

December 24th, 2014....aka, CHRISTMAS EVE!!!!

Run plan:
    2 miles easy
    5 x 30 sec hills w/90 sec - 2 min recovery
    4 miles tempo
    5 x 30 sec hills w/90 sec - 2 min recovery
    2 miles easy

This was a bit of a busted session, to be honest...but it wasn't a total loss. Circumstances dictated that this be done in the soggy field, so that meant the hills would be limited by the terrain at my disposal. And this also meant the spiffy tempo miles would be done on grass with 90 and 180 degree turns. And I believe my shocking culinary choices (and even more shocking quantity of crap consumption) reared its ugly head in fine fashion during this run. Ugh.

In short, because the hills only took me approximately 20 seconds to run up (and not the prescribed 30 seconds), I did 8 of them before the tempo and 8 of them after the tempo....and I also shortened the recovery period down to 40-45 seconds in between. The hills were fine. But the tempo miles were a bit all over the place. First one was a little too fast (I'm awful at pacing this short stuff!), second one was much better, third one was fraught with disaster (not only did my Garmin lose satellite, but I also got a little sick on this mile :o), and the fourth mile was back on track (however, the brief stop on mile three sort of negates the favorable impression of that fourth mile's pace).

Any hoo.....not my best session - in addition to the comedy of "errors" stated above, the effort for my targeted 7 min/mile tempo pace was way higher than it should've been - there is no way I could have maintained that pace for an hour. But, I was warned I might struggle this week....and my diet really is awful right now, so I'll focus on the fact that I did every required inch of this session, and I'll not worry about all that other stuff. :)

6:49, 6:58, ??? (7:31), 6:58

Actual run: ~9 miles in a soggy field running up hills and around the bend

I hopped on the Cat for 30 minutes of kitty love....then stretched, stretched stretched....then rolled, rolled, rolled.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Yup .... Some days you just get the work in and trust it will work in the long run.

Merry Christmas ... Hope Santy recovers from hauling the new pool.

Well, what did Santy bring??? Any pics?

Well, what did Santy bring??? Any pics?

Poor Santa...bless his heart, he traveled all that way with my pool and he forgot the batteries!! So I guess now I'll have to wait on the electrician to work his magic (next week I was told!), then it will just be about getting the water to the perfect temperature to start swimming (and running with the hydraulic treadie). Getting itchy....can't wait!! I'm thinking early morning swims???

Here's a rough pic of the interior of the pool from my phone in very poor light. Exterior is unfinished....finishing will take place in March or so due to weather and movement of wood..

20141225_113726.jpg

Thursday, December 25th, 2014.....Christmas Day :)

Actual run: 4 miles recovery

Well, I wrote my report once already....but somehow it was wiped out, so instead or re-writing it, I'll just say I did my recovery run early morning field style on this holy day.....and this run was done after a very impressively fast moving coyote crossed my path! I'm taking that as a very good sign for me. ;)

Actual run: 4.2 Christmasy morning field miles

Post run....it was 45 minutes on the Cat spinning....then stretching, core work with a medicine ball and a BOSU ball, and evil foam rolling.

Merry Christmas!

Poor Santa...bless his heart, he traveled all that way with my pool and he forgot the batteries!! So I guess now I'll have to wait on the electrician to work his magic (next week I was told!), then it will just be about getting the water to the perfect temperature to start swimming (and running with the hydraulic treadie). Getting itchy....can't wait!! I'm thinking early morning swims???

Here's a rough pic of the interior of the pool from my phone in very poor light. Exterior is unfinished....finishing will take place in March or so due to weather and movement of wood..

20141225_113726.jpg

There's a treadmill included in this deal?!? Jeez, Santa loves you! All the best with it, good luck training for 2015, and Happy Holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I also enjoyed the festive atmosphere and meeting new people, including the gal who beat me. Lovely young gal (30ish?) and a bit of a triathlete/runner turned cyclocross rock star.

Lemme guess....Career Move?

Friday, December 26th, 2014

Run plan: 5 miles easy, am....7 miles easy, pm

Was it just yesterday that it was Christmas?? :confused: Good grief, it feels it was an age ago! So much has been done since then....

Any way, I sort of cheated on this one because I had work (craaaaazy!!) today, and because my body protests when running too early in the morning, and because I had out of town friends in tonight (the holidays continue!!).....so, I actually did the first 5 miles late last night on the treadie. :o And then I did the second 7 miles sneaky lunchtime style in an absolutely GORGEOUS afternoon!!! :) OMG, beautiful out....I could have just kept running and running and running...

Actual runs: 5 treadie miles last evening.....7 field miles today at high noon

Saturday, December 27th, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 6 x (2 miles @ MP, 2 min recovery), 2 miles easy

As busted as Wednesday's run was, this was non-busted. Everything was to plan, including the weather, which was gorgeous and mild. No elaboration today....just the facts, ma'am. Oh, I did take the liberty of consuming a gel and water during my recovery between the 3rd and 4th sets of 2 miles, and also between the 5th and 6th sets of 2 miles.....and there was a little more effort involved in the last three sets, but it was fine. Aaaaand.....I did have my buddies, Gogol Bordello, to keep me company.....aaaaand, I really need to drop a few holiday pounds that I've put on, but I kept thinking of the extra weight like drag in a pool. :D Other than that....here are the paces stated as an average for each two miles:

2 miles easy: 9:27 min/mile
    6 x 2 miles: 7:37, 7:31, 7:30, 7:32, 7:27, 7:18
    2 miles easy: 9:12 min/mile

Oh, and I did this field style. I had intended on pounding the pavement for this, but I decided last minute to keep to the comfy confines of my grassy oasis. All good in the hood, baby. !!! :)

Actual run: 17.1 miles in 2:19:58 for an average pace of 8:11 min/mile

• Advertisement

Sunday, December 28th, 2014

Run plan: 15 miles easy

Surely, you jest?? 15 miles...um....easy? After doing the 17 miles I did yesterday...and doing those 17 miles the way I did them? And you suggest that there is any way possible to make these 15 miles "easy"??

<clears throat>

Holymerdesweetmotherofjesusmaryandjosephandsendmetoheaveninasugarbowl!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

This honestly might possibly have been the toughest session I've done in a long time...or, perhaps my memory has been merely influenced by the shock and horror of my legs for asking them to carry me 15 miles on the up and down hilly streets in and around town today. Yikes! I kept pretending that I didn't have a choice...my legs were tired enough from the start of this run that I actually had to sort of pretend that I was out somewhere very remote and it was all about survival. (right, wtf??) (craaazy!) But, by golly, give the old gams credit...they did it...they kept on going, even when the going got tough! And, by golly, they did it at a respectable easy pace. Oh and, by golly, I didn't take any gels on this jaunt - only some water. (Fat burning, baby!!)

Glad this week is done, and overall it was a good week! 72 miles, I believe....most running mileage for me in probably a year. !!!

Oh, and I can't forget the weather report: cool and cloudy today with a sprinkling of rain.

Oh, and I can't forget the fashion report: a Christmas lululemon long sleeve top paired with a stylish vest and neck warmer.

Oh, and I can't forget the music report: I started out with an all girl spicy little mix....then switched over to two Foo Fighter cds, Echoes and Silence, then Skin and Bones (just for Tunney ;)).

Actual run: 15 miles in 2:20:35 for an average pace of 9:22 min/mile

I decided to do some spinning on the Cat as soon as I walked in the house...but it was pretty slow and pathetic, to be honest. Only got 30 minutes done before I decided to hit the yoga mat for some creaky stretching. And then...it was foam rolling...and foam rolling....and even more foam rolling. !!! I spent a ton of time foam rolling. Then dabbled in a bit of core work with my medicine and BOSU balls. I bought some kettle bells (they're more like baby bells :o) that I may try out tonight! Kind of excited!! :)

Advertisement