Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukulele lessons/chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eamonn60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You two, knock it off, how will you be able to meet up and enjoy your common love of tiny guitars if you can't be civil on the interwebz? If you want to use this forum to organise a meetup then go right ahead, if you want to use it to bicker and take pot shots at each other, then you're in the wrong place.

I don't care who started it, or who feels they were just being funny or who's 'comeback' was better than who's. I don't want to see a single other bickering post from either of you.

Now, shake hands and make up.

/moderation

Hi all am back with some good news I think, the Westwood hotel in Newcastle, Galway can let us have a Boardroom on the 1st floor which would accommodate 15 people comfortably for a half day rate of €40 and it is available any evening next week, is this good value and maybe for the first meet if we all divide the cost it might do to get us started and we can discuss alternatives then. What about Wednesday or Thursday evening about 8.00 8.30, please let me have feedback and ideas of numbers interested, regards, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Fair play to you for asking eamonn60 :)
    Honestly, I think it is a bit pricey in this climate. We *should* be able to get a back room in a pub for little or nothing on an off night, so we bring in a bit of extra custom. Someone just mentioned Richardsons on the Sq might do that, dunno if anyone knows them or drinks there?

If it's a small or fluctuating number, the costs could be prohibitive for some. Saying that, I'd be happy to fork out for an initial meet.

I am away all next week, so couldn't make the first one myself anyway. Please keep me posted, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

AFAIK the Book Club (see their thread) meet in the Cottage Bar in Salthill and get a private room for their meetings at no cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    ... We *should* be able to get a back room in a pub for little or nothing on an off night, so we bring in a bit of extra custom. Someone just mentioned Richardsons on the Sq might do that, dunno if anyone knows them or drinks there?

It's not a popular place: heating in the upstairs room is very marginal, the room aint, free, don't know if they'd let you use downstairs.

OP I wouldn't recommend Thursday night, there are a of things on in Galway on Thursdays. Also, try to get as central as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The Westwood is right beside my house, so would be perfect for me - but I can't do Wednesdays or Thursdays. Would agree that it should be possible to get a free room in some bar, but am okay with paying for the first evening or so if it helps get us an idea of how many people we have etc.

JustMary wrote: »
    It's not a popular place: heating in the upstairs room is very marginal, the room aint, free, don't know if they'd let you use downstairs.

OP I wouldn't recommend Thursday night, there are a of things on in Galway on Thursdays. Also, try to get as central as you can.

My pal used to get it free, but he was, shall we say, giving them a fair bit of business on his nights off :) cold is no good though, we need cosy. Did anyone try The cottage?

Hi all, I appreciate ever ones suggestions but the only definite venue so far is the Westwood Hotel, I have tried to negotiate a better deal but they say that the usual rate for the room is €90 so they have already discounted by 50% +to €40 . I mean this in a way that I hope doesn't offend anyone but I have a family and a busy life so really cannot spend hours phoning or visiting venues although euros are tight with me too. So I have booked the Westwood for next Wednesday for 8.30, I hope that we would at least have a core group then to discuss how we can proceed. We will have to divide the €40 by everyone who turns up, hope this is ok.
    I am really looking forward to meeting up and banging out a few tunes. I have a suggestion that to start we just try some two or three chord songs. If everone could bring along say 10 photocopies of at least one 2 or 3 chord song so we can all have one to use then we can get off to a great start. I have one 'the whole wide world by Wreckless Eric' E7 and A, so get printing and we can have a great night and try to get over nerves meeting new people etc

http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/songs/Whole_Wide_World.pdf
    best regards, Eamonn:D

discounted already by 50%.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah, I won't be able to come Wednesday as I have an evening class that night :(

• Advertisement

Hi I had one reply about the meet on Wednesday, thank you Das Kitty, some people cant make Wednesday, some people cant make Thursday, some people cant make Wednesday or Thursday, I cant do Tuesday .I do not want to be sitting in a room next Wednesday on my own with a bill of €40, so in a last attempt to reach some sort of a consensus the room is available on Monday for 8.30, should I change the day ?. If I dont hear back from a reasonable amount of people then I will cancel everything. Dont want to be like Brian Cowen sitting in a boardroom on my own, best regards, Eamonn :eek:

As I mentioned earlierbin the thread, I am not around *all* next week. In general, Mondays Wed and Thurs best.

Am busy Mondays and Wednesdays, but in the interests of not having you there on your own next week I can skip my Wednesday commitment the once, but won't be able to do so regularly. I'll 'nominate' Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love". It's basically three chords with one extra one thrown in occasionally... Will have a mess about later and transpose it to an easy key and post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clairegreenie

I'll be there Wednesday(the 26th)!sorry didn't see thread till now.if anyone needs a lift from clifden. Will pick something simple and photocopy by million and bring my folder down.
    Thanks for doing all this.

Sloop John B is a nice 3 chorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Monday and Wednesday are both fine for me, but unfortunately I can't make it this wednesday evening. See you the following week though and thanks to Eamonn for all the organising.

In case anyone's unfamiliar with it

Am Em
    Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
    Am Em
    Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
    Am Em
    Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
    B7 Em
    Dance me to the end of love
    B7 Em

Oh let me see your beauty when the witnesses are gone
    Let me feel you moving like they do in Babylon
    Show me slowly what I only know the limits of

Dance me to the wedding now, dance me on and on
    Dance me very tenderly and dance me very long
    We're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above

Dance me to the children who are asking to be born
    Dance me through the curtains that our kisses have outworn
    Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
    Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in
    Touch me with your naked hand or touch me with your glove

Hi all thanks for feedback and positive response, keep the tunes coming. Have confirmed the hotel for Wed 26th in the Boardroom on 1st floor, at 8.30 pm at a cost of €40. I am really sorry that this does not suit everybody but hopefully as the weeks go on we can get to grips with that issue, please everybody keep in touch and let us know your thoughts on days etc, see you Wednesday, best regards, Eamonn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

Great news about your new group. I had just posted on the skills swap.
    Dog training for Ukulele lessons
    Galway city on a week night is abit far for me, fingers crossed some1 can help a total beginner:eek:

Location on the main Galway to Clifden road on the West-Side of Galway City ,dont forget your two or three chord song sheets, look forward to meeting you all tomorrow night, hotels phone no

The Westwood Hotel,
    Dangan,
    Upr. Newcastle,
    Galway City,

regards, Eamonn

• Advertisement

Enjoy yourselves folks!

We had a great start last night with six people, I was a bit anxious about people turning up but am delighted with six. Once we got over initial nerves we played a good few tunes, everything from Raglan Road, twinkle twinkle and Old Man River and we have a good start made. Next meet will be in two weeks time Feb 9th Wed in Aras on Dominic Street at 8.30 pm , more details later , all welcome from beginner on , great chance to enjoy yourselves, thanks all, eamonn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Oh Goodness Eamonn!! I didn't check boards, I'm so sorry. I'll be there next time;)

Will try to make it then too :)

Hi all here is message from Claire re next Wednesday, look forward to it
    Just to let you know we’re all booked in the Aras for 8.30 Wed 9th February. 30 euros for the 2 hours. See you there.
    -- ps here are a links to a couple of tunes from last time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPDqc2yz-Y0 Paul Robeson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFL8WSxTgY Wreckless Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=908MNJnjSiQ&feature=related Proclaimers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jS7AD-lqwA&feature=related Will Farrell

Just quick reminder Arus, Dominick street 8 30 tonight for anyone with a ukulele, see you there:)

Sorry, will miss it due to visitors - tried to bring them but no joy ;)

Once again we are meeting in the arus upstairs, dominic st all welcome who own or can borrow a ukulele 8.30 see you there

eamonn60 wrote: »
    Once again we are meeting in the arus upstairs, dominic st all welcome who own or can borrow a ukulele 8.30 see you there

On Wednesday?

• Advertisement

Aye, Wednesday.

Advertisement