Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being nice to your GF/BF... chore or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Maybe she has Deirdre Barlow glasses.... then it's ok to tell to change them!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ieqsyxnYlNo/SIeJK0hD4eI/AAAAAAAACSw/58Aig1dMzd8/s320/Deirdre%2BBarlow%2Bspecs%2Byoung.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

starflake wrote: »
    Don't think many men give a shiz what women wear?!
    So untrue. There is not one man here who hasn't got a mental image of EXACTLY how he wants his partner to dress.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

He did by her a car to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

dyl10 wrote: »
    You must be one selfless bastard...

Selfless maybe
    Bastard no

Incidentally, I take offence to that comment. Dont take out your frustrations on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Don't think many men give a shiz what women wear?!

Don't think you're right about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Apollo Dry X-ray

He was right to tell her to lose weight and get some nice clothes... Just because they are now going out doesn't mean she or he can let things slip. Get fat and wear you grannies clothes, get dumped and then wounder "why? What did I do wrong"... pfft... women... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OldGoat wrote: »
    So untrue. There is not one man here who hasn't got a mental image of EXACTLY how he wants his partner to dress.

Damm straight. Nothing on all the time. Stupid clothes getting the way of cuddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Maybe her boyfriend is gay!? Don't think many men give a shiz what women wear?! is it not whats under it that matters?? If he knows that her glasses are outdated then I wonder.... Her boyfriend sounds gay, She sounds like she's leaving out half of the story and the OP needs to ask her out! :)

As a bloke I do like women to be able to present them selves...:rolleyes:...

as long as she does'nt wear Pjs in town or down to the shops im happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

OldGoat wrote: »
    What had that thread recently. I believe we all want them dressed like classy tasteful sluts if I understood how the thread went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

What had that thread recently. I believe we all want them dressed like classy tasteful sluts if I understood how the thread went

nah man i want them dressed well classy so then that mean there going to be filthy in the bedroom or the car or the dark corner of a club, toilet's... you know your self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You mean I missed a whole thread on this topic? :eek:

/Shakes Fist...
    Damn you Holidays, Damn you all to Hell!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

She should exact revenge by growing a massive BEARD!

...yeah, beard rash would sort him out, give him a taste of his own medicine!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Confab wrote: »
    Just been talking to a girl here in work. Apparently her boyfriend has told her to buy nicer clothes, glasses and lose weight. For context she's a size 12 and reasonably attractive (and also training to be a massage therapist). As well as all that, she has to work 2 jobs to pay half of (his) mortgage, and he's just bought her a '99 Golf with electrical and fuel problems.

How in the name of fook can her BF justify saying these things to her without ending up on the wrong end of a shotgun?

So who's been a twat to their OH and learned their lesson? Who hasn't? What made you rethink your twattery? And what you you think about my poor colleague's BF?

(No, this ain't a PI)

Chore.

Theres no fun in being all sweetness and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

She should dump him just for buying her a **** '99 car. Cheap bastard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If someone like her BF is even telling that to her, she probably well needs to tidy herself up - Sure who's going to be as honest to you as your OH?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Being nice isnt difficult... manners are free etc... but i guess some people are destined to not like each other...

Imo: either your nice or not... dont pretend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

S.I.R wrote: »
    but i guess some people are destined to not like each other...
    Not true imo. Just as each individual has a personality type, a couple creates their own.

I wouldnt call a bloke fat. Id have a go at his clothes though. Poking fun at each other is a laugh. I never lose..

Imo: either your nice or not... dont pretend.

This I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

If he loves her and wants to make her happy he shouldn't be criticising her body...love is about accepting the other the way they are. If you can't accept the way they are look elsewhere and be honest rather than making yourself or them miserable trying to change them.

Anyway IMO size twelve is slim, so I don't see why he'd be telling her to lose weight unless he possibly wanted to diminish her confidence. Sounds like he is possibly a bit manipulative. Wants to make her feel she is not good enough the way she is so that she'll feel she can't do any better than him. I have seen this tactic a few times and sadly it often works.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Here it's fairly simple, there's nothing worse than getting with a girl and as soon as she feels comfortable after several months she'll put on like 4 stone and not give a **** about her appearance. Same goes for men who don't give a **** once they're comfortable. This is a very bad thing, and honesty is the best policy. If your bird gets fat, tell her! There's no point in lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

She probably asked him his opinion on how she looks and he gave her an honest answer...

• Advertisement

craggles wrote: »
    Here it's fairly simple, there's nothing worse than getting with a girl and as soon as she feels comfortable after several months she'll put on like 4 stone and not give a **** about her appearance. Same goes for men who don't give a **** once they're comfortable. This is a very bad thing, and honesty is the best policy. If your bird gets fat, tell her! There's no point in lying

You know, us birds don't suddenly decide to get fat because we've got a partner! It usually happens because the girl starts to fall in with the guys lifestyle and that usually involves more fatty drinks and foods than a girl would normally eat - more nights in the pub and more takeaways etc. Would you prefer a really uptight approach where she goes out with you but won't drink for fear of gaining weight, has a piece of fish and salad and one drink on a friday night when you are having a Chinese takeaway and six cans in front of her? What fun is that??:rolleyes:
    I think men should look at their own diets before accusing girls of deliberately gaining weight as soon as they secure a BF. Often guys can eat a lot more than girls - and I mean a lot - without gaining weight. Are we supposed to sit looking at you scoffing kebabs and not have anything because it will make us fat but not you? Somehow girls are programmed to gain it quicker so please have a bit of compassion, not disdain.

JuJuBean wrote: »
    You know, us birds don't suddenly decide to get fat because we've got a partner! It usually happens because the girl starts to fall in with the guys lifestyle and that usually involves more fatty drinks and foods than a girl would normally eat - more nights in the pub and more takeaways etc. Would you prefer a really uptight approach where she goes out with you but won't drink for fear of gaining weight, has a piece of fish and salad and one drink on a friday night when you are having a Chinese takeaway and six cans in front of her? What fun is that??:rolleyes:
    I think men should look at their own diets before accusing girls of deliberately gaining weight as soon as they secure a BF. Often guys can eat a lot more than girls - and I mean a lot - without gaining weight. Are we supposed to sit looking at you scoffing kebabs and not have anything because it will make us fat but not you? Somehow girls are programmed to gain it quicker so please have a bit of compassion, not disdain.
    Im really trying to pick out everything wrong with this post. Its pure nonsense. Does a fella make her drink, make her eat fatty foods. If she does eat and drink, whats stopping any exercise? Whats wrong with fish and salad? All youre really saying is women are easily led by men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

before accusing girls of deliberately gaining weight

Eh? That's a bit much :rolleyes:
    the girl starts to fall in with the guys lifestyle and that usually involves more fatty drinks and foods than a girl would normally eat - more nights in the pub and more takeaways etc.

This I agree with. Happens far too often. Personally I try to keep to my gf's diet as she has more success wrt losing weight then I do.

Eh? That's a bit much :rolleyes:

This I agree with. Happens far too often. Personally I try to keep to my gf's diet as she has more success wrt losing weight then I do.

Yeah my first comment as you've highlighted there was a little strong I admit - I get on well with my partners friends and often hear them being really cruel about some of the other girlfriends weights and I suppose I am a little defensive about it as a result. I also think that men have an easier time of it when it comes to weight management in their 20's - it just doesn't stick to them but unfortunately does to many of us.

Of course it is the girls own responsibilty to manage her weight and I am not suggesting that its the guys fault that she has gained weight - what I am saying is that perhaps some men could exercise a little more compassion when being quick to point out to a girl that she has gained weight.

Im really trying to pick out everything wrong with this post. Its pure nonsense. Does a fella make her drink, make her eat fatty foods. If she does eat and drink, whats stopping any exercise? Whats wrong with fish and salad? All youre really saying is women are easily led by men

Well maybe its just me, but my BF has a knack of persuading me to eat more junk food. If he wasn't there I know I'd be less likely to eat the junk. I guess I am easily lead by him in this respect so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Just been talking to a girl here in work. Apparently her boyfriend has told her to buy nicer clothes, glasses and lose weight. For context she's a size 12 and reasonably attractive (and also training to be a massage therapist). As well as all that, she has to work 2 jobs to pay half of (his) mortgage, and he's just bought her a '99 Golf with electrical and fuel problems.

How in the name of fook can her BF justify saying these things to her without ending up on the wrong end of a shotgun?

So who's been a twat to their OH and learned their lesson? Who hasn't? What made you rethink your twattery? And what you you think about my poor colleague's BF?

(No, this ain't a PI)

YOU NEED TO DITCH THAT ZERO AND GET YO SELF A HERO, GIRL

Well maybe its just me, but my BF has a knack of persuading me to eat more junk food. If he wasn't there I know I'd be less likely to eat the junk. I guess I am easily lead by him in this respect so! :)
    Throw out all junk food and burn down the local take-aways.Sorted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's not a chore, it's just natural to be nice to your partner if you really love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Tbh, I'm the same- you go out with your OH, you have a few drinkies and a takeaway...if you do it regularly, you're going to put on weight. But I've been doing more exercise and stuff to try and keep things under control a bit! Defo can see where you're coming from, though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Bit harsh from the boyfriend, but maybe she is fat and not putting much effort into her appearance. Rather than dump her and be called shallow, he is trying to advise her and be a man about it. It's one of those lose lose situations for a bloke.

Fair play to him I say.

Advertisement