Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 25: Almond Slices

• 27-06-2014 8:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My mother got this recipe from a friend of hers in the 60s and it's a been a favourite in our family ever since.
    Sorry the measurements are only in ozs.

Ingredients:

6oz self-raising flour
    3oz butter or margarine
    Half a teaspoon of baking powder
    1 large egg, separated
    4oz caster sugar
    2 heaped tablespoons of apricot jam, warmed to make it easier to spread
    1-2 drops of almond extract (optional)
    A small amount of milk if required
    Flaked almonds

Preheat the oven to 180C
    Grease and line a small swiss roll tin - 29cm x 19cm

Rub the butter or margarine into the flour and baking powder. Add 2oz of the sugar, the egg yolk and almond extract if using. Mix to a dough, adding a little milk if necessary.

Knead lightly and roll out a bit, it's very soft and will break up if you roll it out fully. Once it's roughly three quarters the size of the tin, put it in and press it out with your fingertips. I use a straight-sided glass dusted with flour to even it out.

21lvkg4.jpg

Spread with the warmed jam, leaving a border of around half a cm all round.

Beat the egg white until stiff then add the other 2oz of sugar a little at a time, beating it well.

Spread the meringue over the jam, leaving a border again, then sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

9rmx47.jpg

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the meringue is cooked. Allow to cool in the tin then cut into 16 slices. You could get 24 dainty ones out of it but we like them big.

2hgtukg.jpg

*You could use any chopped nuts on top, and dessicated coconut works very well with raspberry jam.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Those look lovely! They've gone on the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I love almond slices and now I love YOU!! :D I'm SO making these. Thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I made these yesterday - gorgeous! End result looks a lot more complicated than it actually was. Used mixed fruit jam cause I had loads of it and no apricot, and I think next time I'd put a bit more almond in it, I was too afraid of overdoing it. Actually, in the recipe, you say essence but in the list of ingredients it's extract - which should I use? Supervalu only had essence the other day so that made it easy to decide at the time but I wonder now is that why it wasn't very almondy.

Forgot to take a pic and they were devoured in work but it was a test run for my mother's birthday at the weekend, so I'll take a photo of that one! Thanks OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sorry about that confusticated, I use extract - I'll edit my post. It's a question of personal taste really - some people like the almond flavour and others don't. I find a couple of drops of extract to be plenty.

I'm glad you liked them :)

Ah cool, i'll put in a good bit more essence so and see how that goes! Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I made these today - I didn't quite have all the bits but I couldn't wait!
    I didn't have any almond flavouring so I subbed in 1oz of ground almond for 1oz flour.
    My egg white was very flat for some reason, it never got super-puffy but I'd only one egg so I went ahead and used it anyway.
    Also I used strawberry jam and a little coconut on the top.

The result didn't look as impressive as yours, OP - but they taste unbelievable - my partner said they reminded him of pop tarts - only much, much nicer of course!
    I'll make them again following the recipe properly next time.

photo_zps3fb0bcaa.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look great quaalude, I like them with coconut too :)

I've made these many times since first posting and haven't posted back, but they're a great quick recipe. Went down very well at a cake sale last week, so thanks again OP!

Advertisement