Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite Character (Season 4) NO BOOK DISCUSSION See post #1

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Jorah Mormont
    If you're just basing your favourite character on this season I'd probably go with the hound or littlefinger. However if it was overall, I'd go with Varys, he's the biggest snake in Westeros, testifies against Tyrion then goes and saves him. Can't wait for him and Tyrion to have more scenes together next season, some great scenes with those two in seasons 2 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
    For me it'll always be Arya. I love the little sociopath.

Honestly, had I read the series prior to October 2008, my daughter's name would be Arya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I loved Oberyn. I think it was mainly due to his portrayal, but I thought he really lit up the show. He had some great monologues and his one-on-ones with Tywin and Tyrion were fantastic to watch. A really great, verbally arresting character.

Tywin has been one of my favourites since his scenes with Arya in season 2 (I think). Love his practicality and his ability to just shut down other characters with just a stare. His scenes in season 3 with Cersei, Jamie, Tyrion and Joffrey where he effectively puts them all in their place was great. Charles Dance has an amazing onscreen presence too. He just towered over everyone in every scene. It looked like the other actors were nervous just standing next to him. Sad to see him go.

However, Arya has been and probably always will be my absolute favourite. I've loved her since the first season when she tells Ned that marriage and children are not for her and she wants to do her own thing. She's very much her own person, carving out her own path and becoming someone no one expects her to be. If we're to take the time period to be representative of the middle ages, Arya is a character way ahead of her time. She's a feminist. She and Littlefinger, who it could be argued is the embodiment of democracy, represent concepts that are a lot more modern than anything or anyone else in the show. Still can't warm to Littlefinger and his perverted face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Olenna Tyrell
    For this season, Oberyn. Partly because we only see him this season (*sob*) but mostly because I feel like he brought a spark of unexpected danger to King's Landing, and all his scenes were excellent.

The Hound is a close second, as I feel like this is the season where we've really seen him grow as a character, and his developing relationship with Arya was one of my favourite things to watch.

Other characters would beat either of them overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can I have a couple of favorites?

I find it hard to choose between Tyrion and The Hound, with a soft spot for Oberyn and Arya (as always)

Jon Snow began to grow on me toward the end, Ramsey and Tywin obviously. **** it I love so many of the characters

It would be easier to name who I don't like, but for a favorite I think its close between The Hound and Tyrion for this season anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For this season it has been confirmed a joint favorite in the for of Tyrion and The Hound, just cant choose

On the subject of Stannis, I don't like him at all, can't get behind him. If it is true that he is being portrayed differently to the way he is written that makes sense to me, as I feel like I am supposed to want him to win, I just can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't really warm to Stannis either. I think it's because of all the faith he puts in the witch woman. I can't help but feel like he's being duped in a big way with that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Olenna Tyrell
    I voted Hodor, he had some great monologues this season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Brienne of Tarth
    So hard to pick 1 favourite so I took the GoT "Atari Jaguar" equivalent.

I can narrow it down to 5 but can't pick out of them :o
    The Hound - some of the best lines this season, worked great with Arya and actually showed himself to be more than just a muscle man
    Tyrion - fantastic as usual but spent most season in jail which is why he's not my default #1
    Oberyn - just such a fun, different character and provided the bestworst death in GoT so far
    Tywin - The only person who seemed to be in control. Great great character. Evil, cunning bast*rd. Like the Hound, he knows what it takes to survive (well... until he didn't).
    Ramsay - ok, he never really had a chance of topping any of the above characters but he's a fascinating character. Such a psycho.

If I had to decide or face a skull crushing from the Mountain, I'd go for The Hound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Varys
    Overall my favourites are Tyrion and Arya, but this season it has to be the Hound.

tumblr_n3o2m3qa2q1qg593no2_250.gif

5a5.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Olenna Tyrell
    Voted Oberyn based off the fact the question was for individual character within a single season; based on the 10 episodes, he was my favorite; he had a swagger about him, like he didn't give a ****, but obviously did. A Lothario, a Casanova, and an ass-kicker.

Overall though, in terms of consistency, Arya is still my favorite. She's developed better than nearly every other character over 4 seasons, and for a "kid", isn't hugely painful as a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Brienne of Tarth
    Poor Reek, even Ramsay Bolton has more votes than him...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ShetlandViking

Olenna Tyrell
    It sucks how the show has messed up Stannis but at least his moment in the season finale was pretty epic. I voted for Oberyn by the way. Boy I thought I was prepared for his death after reading it in the book...apparently not..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Varys
    Hope the mods don't mind but...

No discussion of how the TV series differs from the books please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Degag wrote: »
    Hope the mods don't mind but...

No discussion of how the TV series differs from the books please.

Where was that specified?

Varys
    Liam O wrote: »
    Where was that specified?

Well, considering the thread title included the words "Season 4" I'd imagine it was fairly self explanatory that the thread was to be based on the tv series and not the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well, considering the thread title included the words "Season 4" I'd imagine it was fairly self explanatory that the thread was to be based on the tv series and not the books.

Nobody's spoiling anything, there was previous discussion about how he was better in the books, I don't see the problem and it's not your job to mod the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Olenna Tyrell
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Voted Oberyn based off the fact the question was for individual character within a single season; based on the 10 episodes, he was my favorite; he had a swagger about him, like he didn't give a ****, but obviously did. A Lothario, a Casanova, and an ass-kicker.

Overall though, in terms of consistency, Arya is still my favorite. She's developed better than nearly every other character over 4 seasons, and for a "kid", isn't hugely painful as a character.

Same, he was the standout character for me, his accent was cool as all hell too. His intro, the wedding chat with Cersei and Tywin, the trial, telling Tyrion he'd be his champion, that fight, all some of the best scenes of the season.. oh Oberyn why'd you have to get cocky and let emotions wreck everything.

Varys
    Liam O wrote: »
    Nobody's spoiling anything, there was previous discussion about how he was better in the books, I don't see the problem and it's not your job to mod the conversation.

Firstly, if you have a problem with my post then report it.

Secondly, as it was I who started the thread, I wanted to specify that it was to be for discussion of the TV series and not the books.

Thirdly, have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum. There has been discussion of how Stannis' portrayal differs from the books. Non book readers don't really care of any differences between book and TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Firstly, if you have a problem with my post then report it.

Secondly, as it was I who started the thread, I wanted to specify that it was to be for discussion of the TV series and not the books.

Thirdly, have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum. There has been discussion of how Stannis' portrayal differs from the books. Non book readers don't really care of any differences between book and TV.

Degag all you are serving to do here is further derail you own thread by backseat modding, if you wish this thread to be for discussion of the show only please edit the OP and thread title so that it is clear to all, if you can't do that let me know and I will modify it for you.

• Advertisement

Varys
    calex71 wrote: »
    Degag all you are serving to do here is further derail you own thread by backseat modding, if you wish this thread to be for discussion of the show only please edit the OP and thread title so that it is clear to all, if you can't do that let me know and I will modify it for you.

I can't seem to edit it, can you edit it please?

Apologies, the last thing I wanted to do was derail anything, I was purely trying to make sure that nothing was unnecessarily spoiled for non book readers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Edited OP and title.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Varys
    Missandei for me, or maybe the Hound. But mostly Missandei

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Jorah Mormont
    Missandei for me, or maybe the Hound. But mostly Missandei

go to 0:10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Oh so many…but to whittle it down:

Tywin – in so many ways, he was the most kickass character. If ever there was a man able to sit on the Throne, pun intended, it was Tywin. He was smarter than most, very political, extremely ruthless, feared and yet you understood his goals.

Tyrion – the man, the legend. So much like his father, but with a more human side. A split character. He’s a drunk, very clever, he makes good and bad choices. Very privileged, and yet a second class citizen.

The Hound – the man should have his own quote book. Again a split character. Part killing machine, but like Tyrion, there is more to him than meets the eye.

Arya – who doesn’t love Arya? “Stick ‘em with the pointy end”.

Varys – I’d love to see an entire episode from his perspective.

Bronn – just like the Hound, a split character, who should have his own quote book.

Daenerys – pardon another pun, but she’s like a mini volcano, that hasn’t quite worked out how to blow up yet. Unlike Tyrion, she isn’t privileged in a wealthy sense, just in her name. But just like him, she has been treated like a second class citizen.

So many well written characters, and there is the problem. For me the most interesting character should have a huge arc that challenges them and takes them in whole new directions.

Bronn and the Hound, are fairly set in stone. Strong fighting men, that show little respect to authority, who aren’t given enough credit for their brains. And that is pretty much it.

Tyrion, Arya and Daenerys have a far more interesting story arc. It still isn't clear whats going to happen to them. Their characters have a lot more fleshing out to do. Too difficult to decide. Each have had great scences: Tyrion: “There are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!” Daenerys: “A man who fights for gold can't afford to lose to a girl.”. And as I already mentioned, Arya: “Stick 'em with the pointy end”.

Today I'll go with Arya. Tomorrow I might think differently :D

Advertisement