Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador from irishlabradors.net (Cork)

• 11-06-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I want to report only the facts about my dog.

In early 2011 I collected a beautiful male pup from Irishlabradors. Their facilities were impressive with many good looking dogs and a nice environment.

Approximately 4 months later Bailey was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia.

He is likely to require a double hip transplant. I can provide xrays, vet notes etc. I also papers from Irishlabradors.net to prove this is where baily came from.

I suggest anyone considering buying a labrador pup speak to the Irish Labrador association.

I had assumed Bailey was an anomily, but subsequently I have met another dog from Baileys father who has elbow dysplasia.

If buying from them ask for:

Eye Test Certs
    Hip scores for both parents
    And finally if any dogs from her have ever had hip/elbow problems.

I also suggest you search for irishlabradors on this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did you look for these before purchasing your pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

andreac wrote: »

Unfortunatley, and to my shame no. I bought on trust.

But at least Bailey has a good home and is insured so he can get the care he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

jjmcclure wrote: »

But at least Bailey has a good home and is insured so he can get the care he needs.
    Bad situation to be put in and im glad your doing all you can for the dog.

Have you contacted where you purchased him from to discuss this ?
    Any breeder worth their salt is always interested in how the pups are doing from their dog.

I know its all easy in hindsight but if you had done any proper research you would of found out about hip scoring etc very quickly.

Unfortunatly labs are a breed that are prone to such problems anyway.
    Im glad your keeping him and sorting him out , best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭2smokinbarrels

I happen to be the other person that bought the pup.
    As this I feel really upset about this whole issue please keep the handbags at bay!
    My dog was diagnosed with severe elbow displacement in both elbows one side was completely ruined and only going to get worse, the pup is only six months old.
    This pup has the same father as bailey.
    I had 2 pups and returned both on Saturday, the breeder denied any knowledge of baily and that there was no history of any of this ever from her dogs.
    Please be aware of this this is fact and as a buyer beware notice to anyone thinking of buying a pup from here.
    As explained I don’t need to be slated about this or returning the pups this is still pretty raw as I loved this dogs and was pretty attached it was an extremely hard thing to do but as I was lied to I cannot trust the pups background.

Did the breeder return your money to you?

Have they said if they are going to Hip/Elbow score their dogs now??

• Advertisement

I don't think so but I can not say for fact if they will or wont get these tests done.
    Like JJmclure I was lead to believe that they had been done and that there is no history of any of these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Thanks for these warnings. It's always important to spread things like this, it prevents more people from making the same mistakes and hopefully encourages these breeders to actually breed healthy lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Sorry about your pups has to be very hard on ye.

When I was searching for my lab pup I contacted many breeders (and yes this was one of them), if they couldnt produce current eye certs, cnm and pra clear dna and written proof of hip scores I walked away every time. Elbow scores now are becoming somewhat the norm if breeders are hipscoring also.

It took time to find the right pup and breeder, but seeing as a dog will be a part of your life for many many years it really is worth the homework.

Im not here to bash this particular breeder, she couldnt provide me with written proof of hip scores for both dam and sire and I wasnt willing to take a stranger at her word....

Hopefully people will read this thread and learn from your experience.

Goodluck to the both, labs are such great dogs :)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is this the same place from last year - somebody got a pup against everyone's advise that they looked dodgey regardless of them having a webpage and the pup developed problems?! Looking at the pics of the adults on the site one of them looks under developed in their back legs :(

Anyhoos sorry about your pups guys it's hard when they have problems. It must have been heartbreaking giving them back 2smokinbarrels :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A double hip transplant :confused: Is this a new procedure ? I've never heard of orthopaedic transplants before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi All, I want to report only the facts about my dog.

In early 2011 I collected a beautiful male pup from irishlabradors. Their facilities were impressive with many good looking dogs and a nice environment.

Approximately 4 months later Bailey was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia.

He is likely to require a double hip transplant. I can provide xrays, vet notes etc. I also papers from Irishlabradors.net to prove this is where baily came from.

I suggest anyone considering buying a labrador pup speak to the Irish Labrador association.

I had assumed Bailey was an anomily, but subsequently I have met another dog from Baileys father who has elbow dysplasia.

If buying from Them ask for:

Eye Test Certs
    Hip scores for both parents
    And finally if any dogs from her have ever had hip/elbow problems.

I also suggest you search for irishlabradors on this forum.

I vaguely remember a previous thread on Labrador pups and someone wanted "a chunky lab with a big head", went to the above breeders and it later turned out the dog now has hip dysplasia. Furthermore the above breeders were then selling pups on a certain website claiming that their pups were 100% healthy with no hip problems. These breeders are bad news, it is so sad that these dogs are in this state at such a young age. I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?

Millem wrote: »
    . I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?

I don't see any mention of the IKC on the website? They breed an "occasional" litter of pups - yet we have 2 posters here with crippled pups from them!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I don't see any mention of the IKC on the website? They breed an "occasional" litter of pups - yet we have 2 posters here with crippled pups from them!:mad:[/Quote]

I just presumed when the first op said "they had papers to prove where the dog came from" that they were IKC papers! If you look at their YouTube clips they say they are from English bloodlines. No doubts they aren't IKC. The poster was probably given some DIYpapers. I would be so annoyed if I had bought one of my dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

andreac wrote: »

To be honest, I have the utmost sympathy for your dog but none for you.
    You refused any advice you were given here, completely dismissed advice to make sure the parents hips had been tested and were downright rude to other posters "Get all the hip scores, eyetests and whatever you want from a "breeder" and even went on promoting the breeder after they knew of your dog's problems but yet continued to advertise their "healthy" dogs.
    I'm not saying "I told you so" but it is misleading to talk like you were an innocent victim. You knew full well what tests that dog's parents should have had, there were enough people here telling you.
    Millem wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a previous thread on Labrador pups and someone wanted "a chunky lab with a big head", went to the above breeders and it later turned out the dog now has hip dysplasia. Furthermore the above breeders were then selling pups on a certain website claiming that their pups were 100% healthy with no hip problems. These breeders are bad news, it is so sad that these dogs are in this state at such a young age. I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?

This is the thread http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rtMmy0vUnDMJ:www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2056147061+boards.ie+labrador+lake+real+deal&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmmm; well I'm very sorry for you, and for your pets . It must be very distressing for you ; fair dues to you for putting your head above the parapet & letting others know about this specific problem with your dogs & place of purchase.

I am under the impression that a pup cannot be scores accurately until it is 8 months or more . Either way; it's a very bad ending for you all; I hope you don't miss them too much; you must have become very attached.

Yes diy papers, as much as it this sounds and again this is fact these pups both mine and JJMCLERs where not bought on a 30 second phone call there was hours of all types of corrispondance, this was where the sense of security came from, this is the point that I want to make that as soon as you see or walk away with your pup the attachment begins, The seller is very convincing and pups are very seductive buyer beware, yes losing the two is distressing no fun in this house at the moment the misses has been crying her eyes out since these guys went, the house is covered in photos, the laptop and phones screen savers are the pups both here and in work, toys everywhere I dont want to pic up looking at the kennel got up heart to clean the back door window that they used to enjoy licking, it is hard very hard.
    the silence is the worst, writing this now she is gone to work I am usally out messing about with them.
    heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Magenta wrote: »
    To be honest, I have the utmost sympathy for your dog but none for you.
    You refused any advice you were given here,...
    Really? You feel this post is a productive use of your time and the internet??

I think the OP has learned their lesson, there's little need to kick them in the face now that they are down.

And frankly the OP is good enough to try and prevent others from falling into their trap, so a little courtesy and common civility wouldn't be lost Magenta.

Zulu wrote: »
    Really? You feel this post is a productive use of your time and the internet??

I think the OP has learned their lesson, there's little need to kick them in the face now that they are down.

And frankly the OP is good enough to try and prevent others from falling into their trap, so a little courtesy and common civility wouldn't be lost Magenta.

Sorry but I kind of agree with Magenta here. The OP stuck two fingers up at the advise/warnings they were given about this pup and the fact that website or not they're puppy farmers. I'm sorry the pup has issues - I have first hand experience of this and know what it's like and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

thank you Zulu for your responce, and that is all we want/can do is make buyers beware we are only posting fact.
    This is a buyer beware post and fact is that is all we can post without getting this pulled down.

tk123 wrote: »
    ... I have first hand experience of this and know what it's like and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    That's exactly my point; Magenta appears to be: "wouldn't wish it on anyone except the OP".
    It's the "except the OP" bit that sticks in my craw.
    I've an 18 month old Lab bitch. I didn't follow all the advice I was given, but followed enough. Thankfully she's in great health. I wouldn't wish the OP's situation on anyone, anyone - regardless if they took my advice or not.

Leave the past well enough alone.
    The OP has learned their lesson.
    The OP is now, kindly, sharing their experience.
    Having digs at the OP on this thread is neither civil or helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys less of the personal digs and backseat moderation.

Apologies.

I feel it is more important to post this information and take the kick in the face than to say nothing.
    again thanks everyone for taking the post in the right concept for what is is aimed towards.
    it is to make buyers aware,
    houses with pirite, chopped cars even as small as food that has gone off we have all done it, bought in good faith and it turns out less than our favor everyone has had an experience with this either large or small scale so no one is perfect we are only posting fact for buyer refrence and awareness,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Can I just ask 2Smokinbarrels, you say you brought your 2 pups back to the breeder - do you know what's going to happen to them now? I just wondered if they will be pts or maybe sold on to some other unsuspecting person?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

it is to make buyers aware,
    houses with pirite, chopped cars even as small as food that has gone off we have all done it, bought in good faith and it turns out less than our favor everyone has had an experience with this either large or small scale so no one is perfect we are only posting fact for buyer refrence and awareness,

You have lost 3 pups in 8 months due to not taking the correct precautions and lack of legwork in advance. There are tens of thousands of unscrupulous puppy dealers the length and breadth of the country, if you really want to make an impact I would suggest sticking around here for a while, read some threads, starting with this one and gain the knowledge needed that will help others from making a similar mistake.

Will you now be looking for another dog?

I'm going to guess that your a working dog man and not a show dog man (making a bit of an assumption that you are in fact a man :p)

http://www.sportinggundogs.com/ireland-field-trial-clubs.asp

correct and i am suprised it took so long for someone to bring this up, so after the last experience I visited many breeders and didn't like what I seen but i watched them trying to seduce with pups so I thought it best to take a diffrent approach talk to a breeder with out the pup waving under your nose,talked to a few that didnt want to know as in not will to keep talking about health backround etc I grew up with labs and I am shocked with how this dog industry is rotten with money grabbers really shocked.
    I think my dog dream is over I will admire at distance for now,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

^^ You dont need to give up on dogs. Why not rescue a dog?

i was looking for a duel purpose dog hence not a rescue great if you are looking for a pet i am all up for it think it is fantastic,
    this is my second time around as pointed out, so i cant face a another heartbreak.
    so i will say for the forseeible future i will let it be.

There are plenty of good breeders out there that health test and arent just in it for the money.
    But they arent found on the likes of donedeal etc. You need to contact the Kennel Club and breed clubs and they will point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

i was looking for a duel purpose dog hence not a rescue ...
    emm this doesn't make sense really (not having a go here, but...). A dog is a dog. You'll get out of it what you put in. There's no reason a rescue won't be every bit as good as a lab from a website "irishlabs.net" or what have you.

Besides, it's not like you were seeking thoroughbred field dogs from established breeders in the first place. :confused:

Give it a go, you won't regret it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement