Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

event wrote: »
    how will we know when the other parts are on sale?

If the GAA have put €2m up for this, it'll be we'll advertised when tickets go on sale again. Don't worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

event wrote: »
    how will we know when the other parts are on sale?

I don't know. I emailed ticketmaster an hour ago about lower cusack tickets and they said their allocation is sold out. But on the G.A.A. website they have some Cusack tickets left. So I'm not sure what's left/not left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

What will happen first both colleges will be sent their Allocation. The GAA will then put up on General sale what they dont send to the colleges and will most likely announce this. Then whats left of the unused allocation will come back to the GAA and put on sale months after the original gen sale.

Lena137 wrote: »
    I don't know. I emailed ticketmaster an hour ago about lower cusack tickets and they said their allocation is sold out. But on the G.A.A. website they have some Cusack tickets left. So I'm not sure what's left/not left.

You would be better off just taking any tickets that are on sale as the colleges will get the main allocation of the best seats in the house first. The GAA will announce gen sales on what is left over. Aiming for a specific section or the lower tiers might be your downfall when trying to get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah, fair play, you called it correct and the burden of risk falls on the GAA. I think 30,000 will easily attend though. Would be surprised if they reached their upper target all the same.

Also I don't think this did come up at Congress which makes me think it was a Croke Park PLC decision. If they don't make their money back it will be a major blunder. As a GAA member I for one would be pissed off.

Yeah I think they have a decent chance to get 30,000 people and get their money back. In my mind, the figure for it being a successful event would be 50,000 (as I said, I'm less concerned about the GAA's profit-and-loss, than I am about putting on a worthwhile sporting event).

I'm all for popularising the sport in Ireland, but I still think there has to be a point to moving a game 3000 miles. The numbers that turn up will show if there is a point. If they don't turn up, I don't think it helps anyone.

If they do get the numbers, great. I'd love to see an NFL regular-season game in Ireland one day, so despite my concerns, I'm still hoping it does well from that point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah I think they have a decent chance to get 30,000 people and get their money back. In my mind, the figure for it being a successful event would be 50,000 (as I said, I'm less concerned about the GAA's profit-and-loss, than I am about putting on a worthwhile sporting event).

I'm all for popularising the sport in Ireland, but I still think there has to be a point to moving a game 3000 miles. The numbers that turn up will show if there is a point. If they don't turn up, I don't think it helps anyone.

If they do get the numbers, great. I'd love to see an NFL regular-season game in Ireland one day, so despite my concerns, I'm still hoping it does well from that point of view.
    I'm betting it will. Between the gaa and the schools it will, at the very least, get 50000. At least that's my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Presumably Penn state's motive in agreeing to this is to generate some positive publicity after the Sandusky scandal and help with recruiting etc. Plus UCF would be considered an easy season opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This match is on the day before the All Ireland football semi final next year.Hopefully the field won't get dug up too much.

I wonder are the GAA hoping that some people might decide to make a weekend of it and attend both matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This match is on the day before the All Ireland football semi final next year.Hopefully the field won't get dug up too much.

I wonder are the GAA hoping that some people might decide to make a weekend of it and attend both matches.

I completely forgot about the GAA. Is that date for the football set in stone? Because I couldn't imagine them doing that, the pitch will be covered in the painted lines too, along with advertising/match logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah I think if you were being logical, you'd put it in the Aviva, but this is often not the way these things happen, there are other interests involved.

My fear about it is the GAA saw the game in the Aviva last year, and without really understanding the circumstances that made it a success (iconic college football program with Irish link, the link to 'The Gathering' stuff, the fact that it was planned several years in advance so the US fans had a chance to save money & make travel plans), thought they'd get in on the act, and that they could get the same type of numbers for any college game.

I wonder how well it was thought out, because to me it's not making a lot of sense, but people will vote with their feet. If they get 50,000 people to attend, the event will be justified, I just have my doubts if they will get a crowd like that.

It's not the GAA's first barn-dance with college football or even american football in general. They'd be as well placed as the Aviva lads are to make a judgement call on this event.

30k should be easily passable so really it's up to the GAA to make some profit after that. The long game here is if they exceed 50k they immediately become the number one destination in Dublin for college ball and will be very likely to see more big programs visit in future years. They could steal the Aviva's thunder completely if they have a modest success with this game. Big programs are greedy by their nature and won't want to limit their pulling power if they feel they can draw over 50k.

It'd be smart for the GAA to keep the AI semi on the next day too if at all possible. If the Medowlands can be transformed from Giants to Jets over-night a big effort can easily have Croker ready for real football (:pac:) on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm betting it will. Between the gaa and the schools it will, at the very least, get 50000. At least that's my bet.

Even though it took 30,000 Americans to sell out the Aviva last year?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Even though it took 30,000 Americans to sell out the Aviva last year?

To be fair 30,000 tickets were sent to the states before Irish/European fans got anywhere near trying to buy them. Notre Dame and Navy would have sold out the 49,000 seats available in the Aviva even if only 15000 tickets were sent to the US. Plenty of European based Alumni and Americans in Europe and Football fans in Europe would have filled it. I ended up having 8 tickets for the game as guys bailed on me and of the 8 I had to sell 5 for face value and sold them quite easy to a Canadian who traveled over and 2 Americans based in the UK and a couple of Irish lads.

Syferus wrote: »
    :confused:

It wasn't a joke.

Oh so you were actually accusing me of being a tout. Don't like it when the posts get turned back on you eh? Good man.

Edit: But since you want to accuse me I will dignify your non joke with a response. I donated the other 3 tickets to a friend and his two kids. Good to see though you are trying hard on the weekends to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kingcobra wrote: »
    I completely forgot about the GAA. Is that date for the football set in stone? Because I couldn't imagine them doing that, the pitch will be covered in the painted lines too, along with advertising/match logo.

They turned around a soccer to rugby filed in less than 24 hours in 2009

Ireland v France ins a soccer match Saturday night, then Ireland v someone in a rugby game on the Sunday afternoon

Ireland v France ins a soccer match Saturday night, then Ireland v someone in a rugby game on the Sunday afternoon

It's easily done I'd imagine. If a basketball arena can be turned into an ice hockey one in 24 hours and vice versa, I can't see why they can't change goalposts and some pitch markings in the same timeframe.

The pitch might need some tlc in between the games though

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'm sure they will be able to change the posts and line out the pitch in no time. What I mean is that they won't be able to remove the lines from American Football game that soon, so for the majority of the GAA pitch we'll still have all the American Football lines still on the field, including the big thick white sidelines and the logos both on the pitch and the the end zones. It won't be a great sight to see!

Of course, it's purely aesthetic, and I'm sure the pitch has endured worse than a sole American football game. Comparatively, there's very little lines on a rugby and soccer pitch, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

kingcobra wrote: »
    I'm sure they will be able to change the posts and line out the pitch in no time. What I mean is that they won't be able to remove the lines from American Football game that soon, so for the majority of the GAA pitch we'll still have all the American Football lines still on the field, including the big thick white sidelines and the logos both on the pitch and the the end zones. It won't be a great sight to see!

Of course, it's purely aesthetic, and I'm sure the pitch has endured worse than a sole American football game. Comparatively, there's very little lines on a rugby and soccer pitch, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

The American Football Markings they will use a green field paint to paint over them I would imagine if they are still heavy. What some groundsmen do is they let the grass grow a couple of mm for the AF and then once its over cut that extra mm this then takes away a lot of the marking and then add green paint where neccessary. Tallaght Stadium did it last year for a Rovers game that followed the Shamrock Bowl. Schools in the US that ground share multiple sports and still use paint do it also. As someone who has marked many field from football to gaa to American football there is way and means of removing or hiding said markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Just so you guys know - pre-sale tickets are available now. There's a good few seats for 80 quid in the Lower Hogan around midfield, 50 quid for the section beside it and 50 quid for the upper tier around midfield.

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Just so you guys know - pre-sale tickets are available now. There's a good few seats for 80 quid in the Lower Hogan around midfield, 50 quid for the section beside it and 50 quid for the upper tier around midfield.

They played last night too and it ended up 34-31 so if we get a similar game next season, I think we'll all go home happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tickets back on sale - bought a couple today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

tickets back on sale - bought a couple today

I got 12 for my fantasy football league! And an uncle of the wife's just came back from Penn State with a t-shirt and a baseball cap for me. I also have a Yank mate who went to Penn State, so he's going to come over, and more than likely his brother and a mate. Really looking forward to it now, pity it's so far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

infacteh wrote: »
    I got 12 for my fantasy football league! And an uncle of the wife's just came back from Penn State with a t-shirt and a baseball cap for me. I also have a Yank mate who went to Penn State, so he's going to come over, and more than likely his brother and a mate. Really looking forward to it now, pity it's so far away!

In fairness I got my tickets for steelers vikings for xmas and thought....grrrrreatttt agggeesss away but it kinda flew in!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Got 2 tickets for this for Christmas, but cant make it now due to unforseen circumstances.

If anyone is interested in taking them off me for face value (€88, lower Hogan) then send me a PM.

Gutted I cant go. Was really looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

bruschi wrote: »

If anyone is interested in taking them off me for face value (€88, lower Hogan)

Each or for both?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Gweedling wrote: »
    Each or for both?

for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

Got my tickets today, really looking forward to it!

Does anybody know if there'll be any of the teams merchandise on sale in or around the stadium on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Got my tickets today, really looking forward to it!

Does anybody know if there'll be any of the teams merchandise on sale in or around the stadium on the day?

I would imagine they would be flaunting it as much as possible alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Croke Park Classic to bring American Football fanfare to Dublin

10th February 2014
    With significant local interest in the American college football game between the University of Central Florida (UCF) and Penn State, and up to 20,000 fans expected to travel to Dublin, plans have been announced for citywide events around the Croke Park Classic on 30th August.

The stadium has confirmed that a joint Pep Rally will take place at Dublin Castle on Friday 29th August and it is expected that the coaches and some players will be in attendance. These fan gatherings, held the evening before the game to rally support for the team, are an important part of the ritual attached to American college football games.

The Croke Park Classic Pep Rally will feature a timeslot for each team with some of the squad, cheerleaders, marching bands and a taste of the pageantry that will come to life in Croke Park on game day.

The Tailgate Party will be held in Temple Bar on the morning of Saturday 30th August and tailgating tradition dictates that those attending the game will gather with family and friends to eat, drink and enjoy the build up to the game. Both locations bring the American Football fanfare right into the heart of the city and will give travelling fans and locals the chance to mingle and sample part of the match day experience from both side of the Atlantic.

Both Pep Rally and Tailgate will be part of a host of events leading up to the event including a business forum in Croke Park during the week before the game, special pre game stadium tours and game day hospitality events. For those travelling fans who are interested in experiencing some home grown games, the All Ireland Football Semi Finals will be played in Croke Park on the 31st August giving travelling fans an opportunity to experience live Gaelic games.

Plans are also gaining momentum for the events in the stadium that will make up the spectacular live event experiences being choreographed for the pre-game and half time shows.

The Croke Park Classic will be the first time the UCF and Penn State have played outside the US and the event comes on the back of the most historic season ever for coach George O’Leary and the UCF team in 2013. It will be the first game for Penn States new coach James Franklin and this competitive fixture will see these first division American College Football teams battling it out for the Dan Rooney Trophy

Advertisement