Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I thought the answer would be yes.

So if I watch a Netflix show on my TV or on my phone, it uses the same amount basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the answer would be yes.

So if I watch a Netflix show on my TV or on my phone, it uses the same amount basically?

I guess what I am trying to get across is that it is not the 'content' that is involved in your question, but the format that the content is downloaded in.

Regardless to phone, TV or to save on HDD, the same content in a particular format is the same size/amount.

Lots of times the format the data is downloaded in will change, depending on some criteria.

For instance if Netflix reduces its resolution depending on your connection's capabilities, the lower resolution will download lesser data as a consequence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have come to the view that all schools should have classes with 'hands on' experience for students during a suitable year.
    Basic mechanics ...... strip and rebuild an old banger of a car ..... see if it could be got running.

Strip and rebuild some desktop PCs and see if they run.

Install different operating systems on the PCs and install software in those.

If time permits write some software and run it.
    Maybe build an app or two ....

After which the students would have a very basic knowledge of how some things work and might even spark their interest in something they had no considered.

Heck such classes might even promote more 'common sense' :D:D

OK, that was a bit OT so I will stop there :)

The much maligned Leaving Cert Applied allows for all that, but it's treated as a joke by most schools and the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

spurious wrote: »
    The much maligned Leaving Cert Applied allows for all that, but it's treated as a joke by most schools and the Department.

Yes, but that requires, as I understand it, a student to opt for that LCA course, which means others, who take the LC standard course, could not benefit unfortunately.

I had in mind more the break year that a lot of schools seem to encourage.
    If that was extended to all, and such practical courses as mentioned run, then I believe all students would could benefit greatly. (not all will bother with it, but other forms of temporary 'employment' as used now would still be available and most likely beneficial.)

It amazes me how many who consider themselves digitally savvy, are incapable of doing the most basic fault finding of a PC (or car), or even installing an operating system on a PC (or changing a blown bulb in a car :) ).
    They can use 'apps' and that seems to be the limit of their knowledge (for a lot of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've bought a new phone and am trying to send photos to my pc and having difficulties. My pc's Bluetooth is switched on and recognises my phone. My phone's Bluetooth is also switched on and recognises my pc. But when I send a photo, the pc Bluetooth says 'receiving' but nothing appears. Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't help you with bluetooth (unless you can find a button on your pc's bluetooth that says "accept incoming files", much like you'd have to do on a phone - it's the only thing I can think of), but have you tried with a good old USB cable? It's what I'm doing at the moment. :)

New Home wrote: »
    I can't help you with bluetooth (unless you can find a button on your pc's bluetooth that says "accept incoming files", much like you'd have to do on a phone - it's the only thing I can think of), but have you tried with a good old USB cable? It's what I'm doing at the moment. :)

Yes, I've clicked 'receive a file' and when that opens I send the photo from the phone, then the pc says 'receiving' but nothing arrives. Himself just suggested I resort to the cable, the ould fashioned way!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try to send the file and THEN click on "receive a file", to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, try to right-click on the bluetooth icon on the pc and see if there are any "sub-menus" that jump up to you. If not, see if there's an "Options" menu and see what's in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just email them to myself from the phone and open the mail on the computer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This.

Works every time. :)

• Advertisement

Might end up doing that.
    Try to send the file and THEN click on "receive a file", to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, try to right-click on the bluetooth icon on the pc and see if there are any "sub-menus" that jump up to you. If not, see if there's an "Options" menu and see what's in there.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Anybody using SnagIt fir screen capture? Would you recommend it??? Have been using Windows Snip Tool and would like to have more functionality etc.

Cost €58 fir a 2 Pc licence....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Might end up doing that.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Last resort there's a dummies guide online might help

https://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/tablets/android-tablets/how-to-use-bluetooth-to-transfer-files-between-a-computer-and-an-android-tablet/

Go into your local friendly smartphone shop and ask for a USB C cable to connect the PC USB slot (probably type A) to your phone's USB socket (type C)

You likely even got one of these cables packaged with the phone

Go into your local friendly smartphone shop and ask for a USB C cable to connect the PC USB slot (probably type A) to your phone's USB socket (type C)

You likely even got one of these cables packaged with the phone

Penneys, Dealz, etc sell them, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Masala wrote: »
    Anybody using SnagIt fir screen capture? Would you recommend it??? Have been using Windows Snip Tool and would like to have more functionality etc.

Cost €58 fir a 2 Pc licence....

Use it in work all the time - just the fact that it catalogs the images as you make each capture saves so much time. That allows you to just follow the process you want to capture and then go back and collate all the captures at the end instead of going back to the snip tool each time.
    The markup tools to edit the image are great aswell.

You can also do a screenshot from within Word which I find is pretty decent as well so that may be an alternative for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. Just copy to the folder and let them sync.

Actually now that I think of it isn't google photos unlimited storage. . .

IIRC, Google "shrinks" the uploaded files, so you'd lose definition in the pics, which is a complete pain for professional photographers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've bought a new phone and am trying to send photos to my pc and having difficulties. My pc's Bluetooth is switched on and recognises my phone. My phone's Bluetooth is also switched on and recognises my pc. But when I send a photo, the pc Bluetooth says 'receiving' but nothing appears. Any advice appreciated.

I've found Bluetooth to be a nightmare for years now, if it's just a few email them but really just use your usb cable to transfer everything (although not every usb cable seems to work, powerbank bundled cables seem to be charging only) , then at least you'll have a backup in case something happens to the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

IIRC, Google "shrinks" the uploaded files, so you'd lose definition in the pics, which is a complete pain for professional photographers.

There's a setting in there that turns it off. In the app, go to Settings then Backup and Sync. Under Upload Size you can choose Original or High Quality.

• Advertisement

There's a setting in there that turns it off. In the app, go to Settings then Backup and Sync. Under Upload Size you can choose Original or High Quality.

Good to know, thanks! :)

I've found Bluetooth to be a nightmare for years now, if it's just a few email them but really just use your usb cable to transfer everything (although not every usb cable seems to work, powerbank bundled cables seem to be charging only) , then at least you'll have a backup in case something happens to the phone

I also have a couple of these, they're brilliant 'cause you can use them directly as external memory on your phone and then slide the tab over and attach them directly to your computer. :) The only downside is that they're ridiculously easy to lose, if you're as clumsy as I am.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ultra-dual-usb-drive-3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

My new smart phone (which replaced my old trusty basic flip phone) is utterly baffling.
    ...might anyone be able/willing to answer a few techy questions, if you have a moment?

Sure, I can give it a shot, DB. :)

Thanks New Home, phone did not come with a manual.

My old flip phone allowed me to add a contact list so when caller ID came up, it showed a name instead of a random phone number. Also it let me call them without remembering all 76 phone numbers. This helped with texting as well.

On the new stupid smart Google phone it requires email accounts, etc to do the simplest things (big UGH)... But adding names to phone numbers for a contact list refuses to work unless I agree to agree to these terms: "You have disabled a requirement, to add a contact you MUST allow contacts access to photos, media, and files on your device."

Is that a normal condition? to allow my dentist, doctor, clergy, therapist, cab company, family, friends, any random acquaintance who calls or to whom I call to be given access to my photos, files and calendar, etc? Seems to me to be a serious privacy issue.

So, I will have to carry around an address book or memorize everyones numbers to know who called or to whom I need to make a call? Unless I allow them all access to my data??? Is there no way to get around this ridiculous requirement?

If this sorta things is what makes a phone smart, I prefer a tech-free flip phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Thanks New Home, phone did not come with a manual.

My old flip phone allowed me to add a contact list so when caller ID came up, it showed a name instead of a random phone number. Also it let me call them without remembering all 76 phone numbers. This helped with texting as well.

On the new stupid smart Google phone it requires email accounts, etc to do the simplest things (big UGH)... But adding names to phone numbers for a contact list won't work, because I do not agree to these terms when I try to add a contact "You have disabled a requirement, to add a contact you MUST allow contacts access to photos, media, and files on your device."

Is that a normal condition? to allow my dentist, doctor, clergy, therapist, cab company, family, friends, any random acquaintance who calls or to whom I call to be given access to my photos, files and calendar, etc? Seems to me to be a serious privacy issue.

So, I will have to carry around an address book or memorize everyones numbers to know who called or to whom I need to make a call? Unless I allow them all access to my data??? Is there no way to get around this ridiculous requirement?

If that is what a phone smart, I prefer a tech-free flip phone!

In that context it means the app/program called "Contacts" not your friends etc so it's quite safe to allow it 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It means will you let the Contacts app/programme on your phone access to your photos files etc., so if you want to send a file or photo to someone, it is allowed to.
    Contacts with a big C rather than contacts with a small c, so to speak.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH , I get it now, it's an app not a group of people!!! Thank you spurious and wiz569!

Thank you greatly! :D

Now how do I reduce the size of my fat fingers to be able to text on this blasted thing?! lol ;) :eek:

Thanks both of you, so it's safe to add contacts, YAY!

I will try to make friends with the phone that is too smart for me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Now how do I reduce the size of my fat fingers to be able to text on this blasted thing?! lol ;) :eek:
    :o

You may find it a bit easier if you hold the phone sideways, ie in landscape orientation. This will allow a bit more room for the keyboard. You may need to check settings for "allow screen rotation"

Advertisement