Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

With the traing camp starting up the end of next week and our first preseason game on the 7th of August - we dont have too long to wait to see how Packers will look for the season....

Any predictions on how the season goes?

For me considering that Jordi was injured, Lacy was out of shape - and rewatching the playoff game against the Cards we were only a great play by Larry Fitz away from making the NFC Championship.... if those two players come back fit - i think we take back the Division and push for the Super Bowl - not taking anything for granted as Seahawks, Cards, Panthers & Vikings will all be pushing hard to get there too

I predict a good run in the playoffs.

O-Line solid and experienced

Rogers will be keen to put last seasons form behind him

Ground game good- I expect Lacy to perform better

Receiving corps should be healthy a need to prove themselves

TE Jared Cooke hopefully will be effective 'on the concrete'

Defensive line will miss Raji but is solid

Secondary is good and experienced.

Difficulty is at LB where we got gouged badly last season and haven't redressed.

Special teams so so, Masthay needs to up things but confident he will

Long Snapper position good, not sure if Brett Goode is gone but we are solid there.

Looking forward to the season with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

LB is looking a lot stronger than it was - apparently Martinez and Ryan are reading each other really well and that Ryan will stop the run and Martinez will be in coverage - moving Mathews back to the outside! I know we aint winning a superbowl in July but i was happy to read that!

LB is looking a lot stronger than it was - apparently Martinez and Ryan are reading each other really well and that Ryan will stop the run and Martinez will be in coverage - moving Mathews back to the outside! I know we aint winning a superbowl in July but i was happy to read that!

Yes, but Martinez is new and Ryan has not been any kind of a stud up to now.

I hope things work out but these guys are unproven with the Packers and will be targeted.

They are not bad, but definitely the weakest link I can see in common with all the pundits on the Packers blogosphere.

def our biggest area to improve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Defense will lose it for us in the playoffs again.

Edit: and we'll see plenty of clay in the middle,which isn't a bad thing. If the other lbers can get their jobs done, I think he's best as a unpredictable wild card type of player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's the hope that kills us. With Dom capers at the wheel on d, it's going to be another heartbreaking playoff loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Nelson to start on pup, ****

It's only camp, and he's a very natural athlete (compared to say Eddie Lacy, for whom missing time can be massively detrimental), plus him and Rodgers have for a long time had an almost telepathic understanding. I'm not too worried.

I mean it's not like we'll be winning anything this year anyway.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's only camp, and he's a very natural athlete (compared to say Eddie Lacy, for whom missing time can be massively detrimental), plus him and Rodgers have for a long time had an almost telepathic understanding. I'm not too worried.

I mean it's not like we'll be winning anything this year anyway.

Why not?

Why not?

capers.jpg

• Advertisement

capers.jpg

Uuuhm... You have a point there.:(

It's depressing. I'm convinced if we had 2003 Ed Reed, 2008 Troy Polamalu, 2000 Ray Lewis and 2003(?) Brian Urlacher and still concede the middle on 3rd and long nearly ever single time. Sure throw Woodson and Bailey (or Revis and Sherman) in there at CB and I'd still probably stand by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Any thoughts on who ye would have in our reg season 53 so far.? Id have

QB; Rodgers, Hundley
    RB; Lacy, Starks, Crockett, Rip
    TE; Cook, Dick Rod, ???
    WR; Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Monty, Janis, Davis, Abby
    OL; Bak, Lang, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Spriggs, Tretter, Taylor, Murphy

CB; Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hyde
    S; HaHa, Burnett, Banjo, Price
    MLB; Ryan, Martinez, Barrington, Brown
    OLB; CM3, Peppers, Perry, Elliot, Flakrell, Jones
    DL; Daniels, Clark, Guoin, Lowery, Ringo, Pennel (once back from suspension)

K; Crosby
    P; Mortell
    LS; Lovito

Im unsure about who to have as the 3rd TE spot, it seems to be their for anyones taking.

limerickfc wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who ye would have in our reg season 53 so far.? Id have

QB; Rodgers, Hundley
    RB; Lacy, Starks, Crockett, Rip
    TE; Cook, Dick Rod, ???
    WR; Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Monty, Janis, Davis, Abby
    OL; Bak, Lang, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga, Spriggs, Tretter, Taylor, Murphy

CB; Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hyde
    S; HaHa, Burnett, Banjo, Price
    MLB; Ryan, Martinez, Barrington, Brown
    OLB; CM3, Peppers, Perry, Elliot, Flakrell, Jones
    DL; Daniels, Clark, Guoin, Lowery, Ringo, Pennel (once back from suspension)

K; Crosby
    P; Mortell
    LS; Lovito

Im unsure about who to have as the 3rd TE spot, it seems to be their for anyones taking.

Perillo for me

capers.jpg

The "hair"...it's not good...should be on the weird wacky and awesome thread, just not sure which of those 3 categories describe it best...

Yeah but that Tom Brokaw's so hot right now.

img-tom-brokaw_111845738474.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Is the hall of fame game on TV tonight.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

limerickfc wrote: »
    Is the hall of fame game on TV tonight.?

I don't think any of the pre-season games are shown on tv, only on Gamepass.

I'm quite glad it didn't go ahead in the end. 5 preseason games (more than 1/4 of an extra season!) is way too much.

Rodgers or Huntley wouldnt have played last night regardless.... really would have been only fringe players trying to get on the roster.... but with 7-8 wide recievers and 2 rookie qbs at green bay i was interested to see how they would shape up!

roll on next week so....

Rodgers or Huntley wouldnt have played last night regardless.... really would have been only fringe players trying to get on the roster.... but with 7-8 wide recievers and 2 rookie qbs at green bay i was interested to see how they would shape up!

roll on next week so....

Yeah, I just don't think 5 games is necessary. Plus seeing how they work with QB's other than the 2 they have a chance of actually playing with seems less important. You know?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just don't think 5 games is necessary. Plus seeing how they work with QB's other than the 2 they have a chance of actually playing with seems less important. You know?
    Huh huh, remember 2013? :o

I just wanted to see Fackrell, Springs and Clark in action. Very excited for the first two especially, and hoping Clark can replace Rojo effectively.

Also there has been a lot of positive talk on G Kyle Murphy taken in the 6th round, as in "can he become a starter over Sitton/Lang by 2017?"(maybe the best guard combo in the league the last 3-4 years). I know early hype leads to nothing quite often, but it's intriguing...

i agree preseason is too long - at 4 games never mind 5 games....

But im just being selfish... want football back on tv.... and very interested in our Rookies and what happens and WR :D

nice to get some packer football back last week.... good game....

Considering that Rodgers and Huntley didnt play at all - no jordi, clay, julius to name a few

i think we are stacked at DB this season.... with Sheilds, Rollins, Randall, Hyde, Burnett, Ha Ha - then have banjo and gunter stepping up to be great cover!! Really pleased with some of the play on defense

Offensively we played with 2 rookie qbs who never played a snap in NFL before - so that has to be taken into consideration..... i think the oline was only ok! Like im still weary about it and it is my main worry - but when everyone is back healthy it should be fine....

Lacy looked great on his outing and i hope it continues.... he could be a beast again!!

nice to get some packer football back last week.... good game....

Considering that Rodgers and Huntley didnt play at all - no jordi, clay, julius to name a few

i think we are stacked at DB this season.... with Sheilds, Rollins, Randall, Hyde, Burnett, Ha Ha - then have banjo and gunter stepping up to be great cover!! Really pleased with some of the play on defense

Offensively we played with 2 rookie qbs who never played a snap in NFL before - so that has to be taken into consideration..... i think the oline was only ok! Like im still weary about it and it is my main worry - but when everyone is back healthy it should be fine....

Lacy looked great on his outing and i hope it continues.... he could be a beast again!!

Had a gander at the game and you can't judge an O line on that.

Way too many changes and Don Barclay was at Center for a good while

What pleased me is

Burkes # 34 looks good RB

Crockett looked good.

Callahan at QB was functional

Perillo at TE looked good.

What didn't please me.

Why does Starks lose balance when gaining open field.

Shots down the middle by the opposition on third still do well.

Rogers says he'll play Thur vs the Raiders

Will be tooned in;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Are the pack doing joint practices with any other team?

digzy wrote: »

Far as I know they never do.

Not a chance in hell.

Most of their practices are held behind closed doors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Not a chance in hell.

Most of their practices are held behind closed doors anyway.

i see the bears/patriots are doing one this year. texans/'skins were on hard knocks last year and it turned into an all out brawl.

was thinking why would teams get involved and risk injuries allright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

i see the bears/patriots are doing one this year. texans/'skins were on hard knocks last year and it turned into an all out brawl.

was thinking why would teams get involved and risk injuries allright

The Bears Pats one this year has been a brawl-festival as well. Even though both teams are throwing players out of practice for getting involved, it still keeps happening (a lot of it around guys going after Martellus Bennett from what I can see). I presume the coaches feel that the risk of injury is not so much greater than at a regular team practice, and the opportunity to practice against someone different than your own guys is enough to warrant taking that risk.

Are the Packers the exception in not taking part in these joint team drills?

• Advertisement

Lacy is looking good for the Packers.

Advertisement