Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clonmel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Galileo and Lava Rock are definitely owned by the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

The same guy had a planning application for an Islamic cultural centre which google also calls a mosque (rightly or wrongly, I don't know), on the two floors above Zip Yard on O'Connell Street in 2014 according to Tipp CoCo's site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Qreq wrote: »
    The same guy had a planning application for an Islamic cultural centre which google also calls a mosque (rightly or wrongly, I don't know), on the two floors above Zip Yard on O'Connell Street in 2014 according to Tipp CoCo's site.

That's already there. The entrance is round the corner in Bolton St.

Qreq wrote: »
    I don't think that this is the same people who own the restaurants.
    As far as I am aware, the guy who has the kebab shop in Irishtown is the leading light in the mosque/prayer house, but I'm open to correction on this.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I don't think that this is the same people who own the restaurants.
    As far as I am aware, the guy who has the kebab shop in Irishtown is the leading light in the mosque/prayer house, but I'm open to correction on this.

There are multiple directors listed for the centre on solocheck.ie; only one of the directors is named on the planning application online. This doesn't necessarily mean he is/was a public-facing leader of the centre. TippFM has an article about a guy with the same name saying he runs Galileo in Clonmel and Lava Rock in Cahir.

I can link the three articles as they are easily available, however, I'm using an abundance of caution in case somebody thinks it would be doxxing. Googling "Galileo" and "Lava Rock" together gets the TippFM article. Searching the named person gets both the planning application and Solocheck info on the first page of results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Heard many emergency services running at around 10 pm. Hope all ok in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 49 softkitty

What's the name of the time that the church in Irish town plays at 12pm after it the bells stop chiming its lovely

softkitty wrote: »
    What's the name of the time that the church in Irish town plays at 12pm after it the bells stop chiming its lovely

I hear a church playing Ave Maria now and then. Not sure which church it is Here's a link to the tune..

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Do we know much about this event?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mass-2017-tickets-32931519060?aff=erelexpmlt

A techno event in the middle of a residential and business area? Do the locals know this? Was there a license granted? I love a gig as much as the next fella but would be worried about the clientele this one wil attract.

Are the Garda prepared for the end of this event and the people management required? 2-12 all day on a Saturday - I see it as a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭klose

A techno event in the middle of a residential and business area? Do the locals know this? Was there a license granted? I love a gig as much as the next fella but would be worried about the clientele this one wil attract.

Are the Garda prepared for the end of this event and the people management required? 2-12 all day on a Saturday - I see it as a disaster waiting to happen.

Am going myself, would be lying if I said i didn't have any worries over some of the undesirables that may turn up but it's my scene of music so had to pick up a ticket.

I have heard the greyhound stadium have been handsomely paid to host the event after the original Kilkenny setting was moved to clonmel. I hope it goes well, if it does what's to stop other concerts/gigs being held there? There is shockingly little that happens around town in terms of gigs concerts so hopefully it goes well, if you are to believe their Facebook tickets have/are selling well so hopefully there's adequate facilities and of course security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Wouldn't be my thing and I suspect the drug squad will be kept busy but I think overall it's a good development. There are not a lot of crowd pulling events in Clonmel compared to other towns and cities. The junction festival is a good week but most of their events are niche and will attract a limited crowd in a small venue. You're never going to fill the greyhound stadium with something like an interpertation of the impact of precolumbian art on the writings of Belarussian novelist Wuda Neverheardov expressed through the medium of modern interperative silent dance. Nor do we have any big sports teams that will attract a crowd. Most other towns the size of Clonmel would have some GAA championship matches. Clonmel needs some one day events that will attract people and fill the hotels and bars and using the greyhound stadium for a concert sounds like a good step forward for the town. I hope it succeeds and encourages other promoters to bring other events to the Greyhound Stadium or GAA grounds etc.

klose wrote: »
    Am going myself, would be lying if I said i didn't have any worries over some of the undesirables that may turn up but it's my scene of music so had to pick up a ticket.

I have heard the greyhound stadium have been handsomely paid to host the event after the original Kilkenny setting was moved to clonmel. I hope it goes well, if it does what's to stop other concerts/gigs being held there? There is shockingly little that happens around town in terms of gigs concerts so hopefully it goes well, if you are to believe their Facebook tickets have/are selling well so hopefully there's adequate facilities and of course security.

Sound - I'm guessing a license would need to be granted by local authority - just like Croke park putting on gigs. I would consider the Race course a far more suitable venue as it's near town but not in it. These heaps of young family's in Raheen court and they will have to have techno from lunch time till midnight that day. I'm sure the Showgrounds and Larry O'keeffe is delighted with it.

Any reason given for the change of original venue?

touts wrote: »
    Wouldn't be my thing and I suspect the drug squad will be kept busy but I think overall it's a good development. There are not a lot of crowd pulling events in Clonmel compared to other towns and cities. The junction festival is a good week but most of their events are niche and will attract a limited crowd in a small venue. You're never going to fill the greyhound stadium with something like an interpertation of the impact of precolumbian art on the writings of Belarussian novelist Wuda Neverheardov expressed through the medium of modern interperative silent dance. Nor do we have any big sports teams that will attract a crowd. Most other towns the size of Clonmel would have some GAA championship matches. Clonmel needs some one day events that will attract people and fill the hotels and bars and using the greyhound stadium for a concert sounds like a good step forward for the town. I hope it succeeds and encourages other promoters to bring other events to the Greyhound Stadium or GAA grounds etc.

Hey don't get me wrong I am all for gigs and events - all kinds - I was at Glastonbury last year and wil be at Sun and Bass in Sardinia in September - but I will give you an example of my concerns - the three gigs in Phoenix park in 2012, I went to the stones roses the first night, all peaceful. Next night Swedish house mafia and all the issue that arose with the handling of that. The authorities thought - sure a gig is a gig, ''tis like a Munster hurling semi final or a half marathon, send out a squad car and a couple of reserve Garda. I would be surprised if things are in place to handle this event and all it brings. If Nathan Carter played there, there would be a few parking tickets given out and that would be it. Easy to deal with. This kind of event? Stick it out of town.

That is the main interest I have with the granting of a license for it - I would think the local authority, Garda, emergency services etc - would have no interest in deal with this.

Ps I would sooner go to this than Nathan carter .

Sound - I'm guessing a license would need to be granted by local authority - just like Croke park putting on gigs. I would consider the Race course a far more suitable venue as it's near town but not in it. These heaps of young family's in Raheen court and they will have to have techno from lunch time till midnight that day. I'm sure the Showgrounds and Larry O'keeffe is delighted with it.

Any reason given for the change of original venue?

Looking at their Facebook page it was originally in ballykeefe amphitheatre, tickets were nearly sold out and it was moved to a much bigger area as they described it in clonmel and could sell more tickets/put on more acts. That or looking at photos of the amphitheatre it does not look an ideal venue for such an event.

Any reason given for the change of original venue?[/

Looking at their Facebook page it was originally in ballykeefe amphitheatre, tickets were nearly sold out and it was moved to a much bigger area as they described it in clonmel and could sell more tickets/put on more acts. That or looking at photos of the amphitheatre it does not look an ideal venue for such an event.

The dog track stadium isn't that big. Wouldn't have thought it suitable for an event like this.

They say there'll be 4 different stages there, where they'll go in anyone's guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Finally got into Lonergan's for a pint. All looking lovely but turn down the bloody music. If it's a disco bar you want, then fine but seriously Lonergan's? Christ!
    #oldfart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Easy to see you don't live near it with young children. I will be onto the guards and the county council first thing in the morning. Outrageous that they would get a permit for this and the local residents not be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Any one know what the fire works were for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

F34 wrote: »
    Any one know what the fire works were for?

Nope, but they weren't official. Phone line for the guards was busy when I tried. Probably celebrating the coming of the Mass 2017 event :mad:

• Advertisement

There have been 5 minutes of substantial fireworks from 11:10pm-11:15pm (Wednesday night) roughly in the vicinity of Dennis Burke Park. Anybody know what the event is, if any? I don't imagine it's because of the solstice.

Edit: Looks like I took too long to type this comment since two others got in before I was finished daydreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

According to FB comments a celebration of either the summer solstice or a new business opening on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Wedding in Raheen I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Easy to see you don't live near it with young children. I will be onto the guards and the county council first thing in the morning. Outrageous that they would get a permit for this and the local residents not be informed.

Nope, but they weren't official. Phone line for the guards was busy when I tried. Probably celebrating the coming of the Mass 2017 event :mad:

You seem to be keeping the Gardai busy!

That sounds plausible.

Recliner wrote: »
    According to FB comments a celebration of either the summer solstice or a new business opening on the Quay.

Opening of Camida in the 2 blue buildings on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

The boom is back! :D

Re Mass
    Does the Junction festival or similar notify residents directly when they have big events on the Quay as a matter of interest?

Given the event finishes at 12, I'd guess this is an enforced curfew as part of a licence. Plenty of loud noise coming from the likes of chrissies, o'keefes, the local, etc beyond this time at the weekends directly next to residences.
    That said this will be much louder and it'll be difficult to shelter the houses and apartments to the side if the racecourse. M&S will provide a bit of a buffer to the Waterford road.

Hopefully there will be a strong security presence as turfing out time could be a nightmare in that car park, not to mention the onslaught to bars up Parnell St afterwards.

I hope it's a success and not dragged down by the troublesome minority from the point of view of possible future concerts in the town but it will always be difficult to get this first one over the line given the nature of the music & the bass tones

julyjane wrote: »
    The boom is back! :D

Then again, a wedding booked for a Wed isn't likely to fork out for fireworks :D:D
    The Raheen Road was choc a block with parked cars when I passed earlier so was just a guess. Camida building opening sounds more likely

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Opening of Camida in the 2 blue buildings on the Quay.

What's Camida?

Advertisement