Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp your UL event (especially UL clubs and socs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

What: Ul Mens Rugby freshers match v WIT
    When: 2:30pm friday 8th Feb
    Where: 10 acres rugby pitch
    Our freshers are playing WIT tomorrow on the ten acres pitches. Winner of this match progress to an all ireland semi final. Really need support for this match as the lads have a real shot at this years competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

What? Teaparty in honour of Douglas Adams' Birthday.
    Where? In the courtyard
    When? 1-3 on Monday!

http://www.facebook.com/events/386809411426391/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sryan132

Hi folks,
    Quick message to let you know Lou McMahon will be playing in the scholars on Monday night. The evening kicks off at nine and is free entry so feel free to pop in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-GTu7Pj4c

Lou McMahon is a contemporary folk / rock artist from Co. Clare, Ireland. Her music showcases a multitude of melodic riches in a vibrant package.

Lou's biggest platform yet came in 2012 when she signed a licensing deal with ARC Music record label - the name for top quality world and folk music. Her song 'Wide Eyed Lady' will feature on a compilation album called 'Ultimate Guide To Irish Folk' spanning 30 years, and will be distributed around the globe in 2013. Wide Eyed Lady is track no. 3 on Lou's EP Delicate Dancer, released in 2009.

Lou worked on Delicate Dancer with Terry Woods of The Pogues fame who oversees and features on Lou's recorded material. In June 2012, McMahon released a single titled 'Into The Wild' and she is currently working in the studio on a new album which she hopes to release in 2013. (Sacrifice will feature on the new album)

In 2011, The Irish Daily Mail Newspaper and The Apprentice reality television series joined forces to create a musical task for the show. Thousands of artists entered the competition and Lou was one of the lucky ones to win through and have her 'song 'A River' featured on the 'Fighting Chance' CD - as Track No. 1 no less! The CD was distributed throughout Ireland with The Irish Daily Mail Newspaper. Danny McElhinney of The Irish Daily Mail say's that Lou 'Is One To Watch'.

A performance on TV3's Ireland AM in 2010 lead to McMahon filling the upstairs venue in Whelan's, Dublin . Lou has played support to critically acclaimed artists - Mundy, Jack L, Mary Coughlan, Freddie White and more in venues all around Ireland.

https://twitter.com/lumcm
    https://www.facebook.com/mcmahonlou
    http://breakingtunes.com/loumcmahon
    https://soundcloud.com/loumcmahon

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Drama Society will be holding a stage makeup workshop on wednesday in the swift at 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BostFrond

Out in UL's Queerbash 10 will be on in Dolans warehouse, Friday March 22, €10, first 100 people get a free cupcake! :D Performances by Milk Baby, UL Dance, UL Drama and UL Choral. Hosted by Davina Devine and Candy Warhol. Let them eat Cake. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MusicR

This place hasn't been posted in in ages, but I thought that I'd give it a shot!

Is there an LGBT soc in UL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

MusicR wrote: »
    This place hasn't been posted in in ages, but I thought that I'd give it a shot!

Yeah it's called "Out in UL" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShhCat

MusicR wrote: »

Yup, It's called Out in UL.
    Here's our website.
    http://outinul.com/

I'm not on the committee anymore as I'm on coop, but if you like I can put you in touch with the current committee. Just PM me if you'd like more details. :)

Oh and our email is outinul@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Anyone have any experience with the scuba diving or skydiving club? Would looove to join them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Luize wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with the scuba diving or skydiving club? Would looove to join them!

Haven't joined either, but I know someone in the skydiving club and they love it. They're always away jumping, not just in Ireland.

Although, if anyone's looking for a good club to join, the Archery Club is always worth a go *hint**hint**wink**wink*
    I don't really have much experience with any others, other than the Equestrian Club, which didn't do much as they aren't long set up and the Photography Society, which (for me personally, and I speak only on my behalf) was a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Luize wrote: »

I haven't joined either of them but I have only ever heard good things from friends who have.

Both clubs are really good at organising trips for dives or jumps at the weekends.

phish wrote: »
    I haven't joined either of them but I have only ever heard good things from friends who have.

Both clubs are really good at organising trips for dives or jumps at the weekends.

Oh cool! Definitely gonna give them a go so, cannot wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Anyone able to tell me what goes on in the Drama Soc? I'm quite excited about finding places to keep up my love of performing arts once I move down, so it'd be cool to hear what its like at UL :D

Also may as well shtick this question here and risk sounding like a div, what goes on during Freshers?

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Also may as well shtick this question here and risk sounding like a div, what goes on during Freshers?

I'm intrigued about this too.. and when is freshers week anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

ynwa14 wrote: »

Drinking. Lots and lots of drinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Drinking. Lots and lots of drinking :D

This I can get on board with :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fresher's Week is basically just a drinking session tbh. Basically you go out every night (literally. If you don't, frankly, you're doing it wrong) and get to know your housemates, people in your course, randomers, etc. Usually on the Thursday the SU puts on a gig in the Courtyard, but it's been a bit sh*t the past two years tbh (Fresher Fest 2k10 4eva! :P). The nightclubs in town usually do promotions and stuff as well.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Fresher's Week is basically just a drinking session tbh. Basically you go out every night (literally. If you don't, frankly, you're doing it wrong) and get to know your housemates, people in your course, randomers, etc. Usually on the Thursday the SU puts on a gig in the Courtyard, but it's been a bit sh*t the past two years tbh (Fresher Fest 2k10 4eva! :P). The nightclubs in town usually do promotions and stuff as well.

this^
    Freshers week usually involves a paint party, a foam party and stuff if you're going by the college and they're worth going to once or twice (if you don't mind the cold!). Nightclubs are open every night. It's good for making friends and getting to know people

sup_dude wrote: »
    this^
    Freshers week usually involves a paint party, a foam party and stuff if you're going by the college and they're worth going to once or twice (if you don't mind the cold!). Nightclubs are open every night. It's good for making friends and getting to know people

What week does it take place though?

The week after orientation week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

My Grad is on the week of Fresher's week :( I'm gonna miss the Friday and maybe even the Thursday :( Ragin

Pai Mei wrote: »
    My Grad is on the week of Fresher's week :( I'm gonna miss the Friday and maybe even the Thursday :( Ragin

Nothing happens on the friday! You might not even wanna be here the Thursday, don't worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Poppy121

Can I still join a society? I really want to join the LGBT society because I NEED to make some gay friends! :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Poppy121 wrote: »
    Can I still join a society? I really want to join the LGBT society because I NEED to make some gay friends! :p

Yup. You can join a society at any point, just go onto the ulwolves site, register, ask to join the soc then head along to a meeting and you'll be able to pay the memebership fee (if there is one) and be set up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Poppy121

Okay thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

What: UL Poker Championships
    When: Wednesday, 20th November
    Where: UL Sports Bar

€20 euro buy-in. €2000 estimated prizepool + ULPC bracelet for the winner

6000 starting stack
    1000 bonus chip for pre-registration (closes at 4pm on the day)
    500 bonus chip for paying €1 into the league fund

15 minute blinds starting at 25/50

Registration opens at the sports bar at 6pm on Wednesday the 13th of November.

Free finger food and drinks promos on the night!

You do not have to be a student to play!

The UL poker championships is UL's biggest annual poker tournament on campus. Attendance has reached a staggering 128 players in recent years. The tournament has attracted interest from other colleges too. LIT, UCC, and CIT have all participated in this tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/events/174467136081713/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

What: UL Poker Championships
    When: Wednesday, 20th November
    Where: UL Sports Bar

€20 euro buy-in. €2000 estimated prizepool + ULPC bracelet for the winner

6000 starting stack
    1000 bonus chip for pre-registration (closes at 4pm on the day)
    500 bonus chip for paying €1 into the league fund

15 minute blinds starting at 25/50

Registration opens at the sports bar at 6pm on Wednesday the 13th of November.

Free finger food and drinks promos on the night!

You do not have to be a student to play!

The UL poker championships is UL's biggest annual poker tournament on campus. Attendance has reached a staggering 128 players in recent years. The tournament has attracted interest from other colleges too. LIT, UCC, and CIT have all participated in this tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/events/174467136081713/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

Is there any reg fee taken out of the 20euro or is it 100% pizepool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

100% prize pool.
    May need to pay €2 reg fee if you're not part of society but can't guarantee that.
    I do know entire 20 euro is going to prize pool though and we're hoping for around 100 giving the estimated 2k prize pool and 10-15% of field place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

do ul have good gaa football teams and do they have a kayaking club

• Advertisement

stommy wrote: »
    do ul have good gaa football teams and do they have a kayaking club

Good, I'm not sure but yes to the second one. Apparently, the kayaking club is very good too.

Advertisement