Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    "I don't know how I failed, mom, I was studying from 9 til 7 every day"

Along these lines; the other day I went in to the library at 8:30 because I needed to talk to someone at the front desk about something and wanted to avoid the queues. After that was sorted I took a desk to check something.

Around me were a few very enterprising early birds. Probably got out of bed at seven or half seven, made it in to the library just as it opens. 8:45 in the morning and there's some young one sitting with her laptop, books and pad beside her, checking facebook and shopping for clothes online.

Who exactly do you think you're fooling here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zillah wrote: »
    Along these lines; the other day I went in to the library at 8:30 because I needed to talk to someone at the front desk about something and wanted to avoid the queues. After that was sorted I took a desk to check something.

Around me were a few very enterprising early birds. Probably got out of bed at seven or half seven, made it in to the library just as it opens. 8:45 in the morning and there's some young one sitting with her laptop, books and pad beside her, checking facebook and shopping for clothes online.

In fairness I take 5 minute breaks every half hour or so just to ease my mind. Same as above, when I go in first thing, I tend to get my e-mails etc. out of the way (granted not facebook/shopping online) because it'll be at the back of my mind otherwise. Just get the playtime out of the way and then flat out for an hour or so.

I'm sure if someone passed me in the library at the 'wrong time' and saw me e-mailing they'd have the same assumption as you... so don't be so quick to judge!

(PS. My method of breaks works for me... I know i've nailed the 3 exams i've had so far... 3 more to go!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Zillah wrote: »

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In fairness I take 5 minute breaks every half hour or so just to ease my mind. Same as above, when I go in first thing, I tend to get my e-mails etc. out of the way (granted not facebook/shopping online) because it'll be at the back of my mind otherwise. Just get the playtime out of the way and then flat out for an hour or so.

I'm sure if someone passed me in the library at the 'wrong time' and saw me e-mailing they'd have the same assumption as you... so don't be so quick to judge!

(PS. My method of breaks works for me... I know i've nailed the 3 exams i've had so far... 3 more to go!)

I'd be the same as John here, have to take breaks, just check emails, check FB (quickly) and check Boards, maybe the news too. With what I'm studying at the moment I'm also watching tutorial videos, if people pass by it might seem like I'm doing nothing but I actually am :)!

Yesterday though, the same people I mentioned earlier in the thread were across from me again. Heard them talking about getting a taxi to Salthill for an exam they had at half two, (I was trying to study and they were talking loudly). Anyway, they obviously had come in early for some late cramming for the exam... Spent the WHOLE time pissing themselves, like not even trying to keep it down. Kept talking, generally doing nothing!

I went to lunch and when I came back, they were gone. Happy days for all around me! About half 5 or 6 they arrive back in, noticably less chirpy, and started "studying" again. Something really shut them up though, possibly the fact they knew nothing that came up in their exam? Here's hopin, Karma's a bitch:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

JohnCleary wrote: »

She was at it for the full forty minutes I was in the library :)

I went to lunch and when I came back, they were gone. Happy days for all around me! About half 5 or 6 they arrive back in, noticably less chirpy, and started "studying" again. Something really shut them up though, possibly the fact they knew nothing that came up in their exam? Here's hopin, Karma's a bitch:D!

Don't be afraid to tell people to keep it down.

The trick here is to not come accross soft, but not come accross as a total prick either. Just say "Would ya mind keeping it down please, tryin to get a bit of study done" in a nice way and they'll be so shocked you spoke out loud they'll shut up, but since you asked it in a nice way they won't be bitching about you later on either

I'm a bit more ignorant with loud lads. If you're all soft they'll just think 'what a knob', say it to them in an ignorant and embarrassing way and again they're guaranteed to STFU

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

As long as they're not disturbing you or taking a computer you need to use (and I presume they were on laptops), is it really any of your business how they spend their study time? It's not your degree. If anyone had the cheek to commet on what I was doing they'd be getting a swift F*ck Off (with Honours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

but they are disturbing. when you're trying to get work done, it's very annoying to hear whispering or talking going on. really loud music pisses me off as well

As long as they're not disturbing you or taking a computer you need to use (and I presume they were on laptops), is it really any of your business how they spend their study time? It's not your degree. If anyone had the cheek to commet on what I was doing they'd be getting a swift F*ck Off (with Honours).

My point was that they are CLEARLY not only disturbing me, but also evryone else around me. I already stated earlier in the thread that I have no problem with someone sitting at their laptop all day doing nothing as long as they aren't being loud, disruptive and annoying. Please read all my comments before telling me what is and is not my business in future, sir.

The title is "Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG", I was having my bitch, ok?

My point was that they are CLEARLY not only disturbing me, but also evryone else around me. I already stated earlier in the thread that I have no problem with someone sitting at their laptop all day doing nothing as long as they aren't being loud, disruptive and annoying. Please read all my comments before telling me what is and is not my business in future, sir.

"As long as they're not disturbing you or taking a computer you need to use..."

Your advice is good, you'd do well to take it :D

Yesterday though, the same people I mentioned earlier in the thread were across from me again. Heard them talking about getting a taxi to Salthill for an exam they had at half two, (I was trying to study and they were talking loudly). Anyway, they obviously had come in early for some late cramming for the exam... Spent the WHOLE time pissing themselves, like not even trying to keep it down. Kept talking, generally doing nothing!

Can you read?

• Advertisement

Can you read?
    Yes I can. Now let's see how your reading holds up.

My post began "As long as they're not disturbing you or taking a computer you need to use...". This suggests that if a situation happens to be to the opposite, i.e. someone is disturbing you, or the are taking a computer you need, then it certainly is your business.

This part of your post
    "I was trying to study and they were talking loudly"
    Coupled with the fact I had not quoted anything you said, suggests that your example falls into one of the latter categories, therefore making it your business.

Ergo we can conclude that my post didn't apply to your experience, but rather, to other situations.

With me?

Now, I know you didn't quote my post, but the fact you said "and I presume they were on laptops" indicates to me that your post was in fact aimed at me.
    Yes I can. Now let's see how your reading holds up.

My post began "As long as they're not disturbing you or taking a computer you need to use...". This suggests that if a situation happens to be to the opposite, i.e. someone is disturbing you, or the are taking a computer you need, then it certainly is your business.

This part of your post
    "I was trying to study and they were talking loudly"
    Coupled with the fact I had not quoted anything you said, suggests that your example falls into one of the latter categories, therefore making it your business.

Ergo we can conclude that my post didn't apply to your experience, but rather, to other situations.

With me?

You're just contradicting your own post now to make it seem like you're right.

I'd appreciate if you could cut out the condescending attitude too.

Now, I know you didn't quote my post, but the fact you said "and I presume they were on laptops" indicates to me that your post was in fact aimed at me.
    Depends if you situation met the first clause of my post, which according to you, it didn't. I don't see why you insist in taking it personally.
    I'd appreciate if you could cut out the condescending attitude too.
    "Can you read?" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*facepalm* stop it you children. Mod.

Pray tell, which part of your precious charter have we violated that you feel the need to once again announce you're a mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fionn banned for two days for questioning mod decisions in thread. bitching is to be confined to nuig, not between posters, from now on.

How come there is no cross-faculty agreement to put up timetables on a certain date? My boyfriend got his Sem 2 timetable on wednesday, and if its anything like last year for me, I won't get mine til days before I get back. I know its not important, but its nice to know these things early I think!

PS Sorry Brian but he irks me... I'll keep it on topic from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

...searching for links to post that included one about grade inflation in irish universities, its now 3am and just reread one of my essays and I'm hoping to fcuk there is...

I know for sure that some of my grades have been "inflated." For example, how the hell did I get 100% on an assignment where I left out a few questions?

I don't think the problem is that Irish students are so shyte that their grades need to be disguised (although it could be), but rather it's intelligent but incompetent lecturers going "oops" when they see the crap results of their crap teaching skills.

I think the three big problems with lecturers at Galway are:

1) "Prestige" lecturers - People who are accomplished in their field and make the university look good, but can't teach a course worth sh*t.

2) Incompetent keeners - Young pups with Ph.Ds who like to spend every lecture ranting about their favourite topic, and then giving you completely unrelated exams.

3) The international mix - Foreign lecturers are fine if they understand the Irish education system (where a large part of preparing for exams involves memorising answers to past exams). I find that too many of them expect you to actually know what you have learned - which would be fine except there isn't enough time to actually study enough for their classes and the exams are only 2 hours.

Seriously, what's with the clock? With some of these papers it's like trying answer math questions while people are throwing bowling balls at you. I think if a lecturer doesn't have an Irish last name, you should automatically be allowed three hours.

HotDogger wrote: »
    2) Incompetent keeners - Young pups with Ph.Ds who like to spend every lecture ranting about their favourite topic, and then giving you completely unrelated exams.

Sorta linked to this, a friend of mine in third Science said one day early in the Semester they had a guy "teaching" them who spent the lecture telling them how much he hated lecturing and he was only doing it becuse of the sponsorship for research :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Sorta linked to this, a friend of mine in third Science said one day early in the Semester they had a guy "teaching" them who spent the lecture telling them how much he hated lecturing and he was only doing it becuse of the sponsorship for research :eek:!

3rd science here and I know excactly who you are talking about.;)
    We had him in 2nd yr as well when he told us the same line which was basically that he doesn't get excited about teaching 2nd years but that it was his research which got him out of bed in the morning.

We only had him for 3 lectures this year and he spend about 2 of them banging on about his big research labs he runs.......:o
    we were all kinda embarrassed for him by the end of it!!!

• Advertisement

bitching is to be confined to nuig, not between posters, from now on.

Ficheall should probably be exempt from this. He displays a very refined finesse in his cynicism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

1) "Prestige" lecturers - People who are accomplished in their field and make the university look good, but can't teach a course worth sh*t.
    I'm afraid that's a perennial and age-old problem in every university, and a very difficult one to balance.

Academic staff have two roles (at least) ... as researchers and as teachers. Unfortunately, the best researchers are not always the good teachers or vice versa.

And the standard of research and researchers in departments / the university IS important to you, though it may not appear so at first glance.

It is on that standard to a great extent that the the standard of the university, the department and therefore your degree is judged by the outside world.

Most universities in the last decade have made a concerted effort to improve the standard of actual teaching by providing professional development courses in teaching for existing and incoming lecturers. It's a slow process, though, not helped by the fact that 90% of lecturers seem to believe that they're naturally wonderful teachers, even when they aren't! :rolleyes:
    I know the type, and you have my sympathy. The only advice I can give is to look carefully at the module outline and reading list from Day 1 ... it will probably give you a better indication of what will come up in the exam. Remember that you are adult, and are expected to be able to study independently at university level. That said, you should be at least getting an overview from your lecturer, and I do sympathise with those confronted with the extreme cases such as you mention.
    3) The international mix - Foreign lecturers are fine if they understand the Irish education system (where a large part of preparing for exams involves memorising answers to past exams).
    And here we come to my personal ulcer! No, just no ... unfortunately the Leaving Cert in the last 20 years has become more and more about memorisation, and therefore the current generation believe as you do that "a large part of preparing for exams involves memorising answers to past exams". That's not what education, and especially what education at University, is supposed to be about.
    I find that too many of them expect you to actually know what you have learned ...
    Which is a perfectly reasonable attitude!
    ... which would be fine except there isn't enough time to actually study enough for their classes
    Is this really true though?

Ask yourself (I really don't want to know the answer, 'tis none of my business) have you been putting in 20-25 hours per week of solid study every week since the beginning of term (not 20-25 hours of sitting in the Library, or with books open on your desk, now, but that amount of time actually *studying*). If you can honestly say "yes", then you may have some modules which are genuinely content-heavy.

Remember that you are no longer in secondary school, no-one is going to baby-sit you or check your homework, it is up to you as an adult responsible for your own actions to knuckle down and study the material.
    ... and the exams are only 2 hours.

Seriously, what's with the clock? With some of these papers it's like trying answer math questions while people are throwing bowling balls at you.
    A perennial argument, and there's much to be said on both sides.

Exams generally used to be 3 hours, but there was little or no continuous assessment involved in modules. When CA became more prevalent, the time for exams were generally reduced accordingly, rather than CA simply becoming an extra layer of assessment on top of the existing exams.

But when they were 3 hours, people still complained they did not have time for the (longer) papers, and weren't able to demonstrate all that they knew. Which was one of the main reasons CA was introduced in the first place ...

My advice would be exactly what I would say to someone in LC ... hone your exam skills, practise writing answers to past questions in the time allotted, etc. etc.

(By the way, if you just wanted to let off steam, and didn't really want an answer, my apologies! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

God this, there's some lecturers that are lovely, and I'm positive excellent in their research field, but they CANNOT BL**DY TEACH, or they have too high a workload to properly prepare. Some of them don't seem to know what the hell their lectures are about, being constantly surprised by the next slide, and when you get their lecture notes, it's too incomprehensible to get enough down to write an essay on. As far as I'm concerned the entire 2nd year Oceanography course was a write-off this year, Rachel Cave was on sabbatical, and I got the distinct impression they turned us and our labs over to the phd students, poked them in the back and said 'teach this'. They seemed uncertain and adrift and probably could have done with much better support (on the flipside we had a phd lecturer for zoology and he was brilliant), and this has negatively impacted our learning.
    The most annoying bloody habit was waffling away, constantly correcting yourself or stop-starting in the middle of explanations to the point where nobody could understand the material, then blasting through the slides too fast to take notes as they realise they forgot to change them while they were waffling.
    The actual lecturers we had for this course were no better than the phd students, there was one whose lectures were so bad I stopped going - and I'm a great attendee usually - because I was gaining literally nothing from them.
    Zoology were mad on attendance this year because the fail rate was about 70% last year and they're convinced it's non-attendance. And they made the bloody exam harder to pass, if they get a massive fail rate this year they may have to look at their teaching methods, though there was only one guy there I think was truly dire, ****ing awful botched handouts and no uploaded notes.

While I'm bitching about my subjects: Zoology labs are a f*cking joke, and I was really looking forward to the actual subject matter. 2 hours for a lab, they let you in ten minutes late, then the lecturer talks for up to 45mins only you literally can't hear a damn word over all the f*ckwits chatting, and the lecturer won't wear a mike, nor do they or the demonstraters try to enforce quiet, then a 15min MCQ at the end. So you're left with about an hour to do a full lab, sometimes with up to 10 fully labelled diagrams to do, so you have no choice but to do them crap and rush them to get them all, and then you're marked down for quality. The last part especially miffs me because my diagrams are usually beautiful, but when I have ten minutes to accurately draw and label every bl**dy part of a bl**dy cockroach...

I'm afraid that's a perennial and age-old problem in every university, and a very difficult one to balance.

Yup. People like to go on about how Galway is worse than Trinity, but better than Maynooth (Sez so in the Irish Times rankings!!!). Funny thing is, Maynooth is actually a better university because their degrees are less respected. Is that a paradox?
    Most universities in the last decade have made a concerted effort to improve the standard of actual teaching by providing professional development courses in...
    The maths department is enlisting luddites as junior lecturers. Think about it.
    Remember that you are adult, and are expected to be able to study independently at university level.
    I try to study as independently as possible, but they drag you back in. People like to debate this, but I prefer textbooks to lecturers. (Cue some retard quoting the university charter regarding attendance).

Two problems here.

Some lecturers like to recommend 10+ textbooks, and then go on to add "any textbook on the subject will do." They then use exotic notation that differs wildly from the recommended textbooks (and the textbooks themselves have wildly differing notation). This is a bit of a problem once you get past basic calculus. Why not choose one textbook, and build the course around it?

Second problem is much worse: if it occurs to a randomly selected crap lecturer that any student can do well without their help, they will invariably boycott Blackboard. As in, "there is only one way through this course, and it goes through me." We're coming up on 2011, and educators at this institution are choosing to not use the internet.
    And here we come to my personal ulcer! No, just no ... unfortunately the Leaving Cert in the last 20 years has become more and more about memorisation, and therefore the current generation believe as you do that "a large part of preparing for exams involves memorising answers to past exams". That's not what education, and especially what education at University, is supposed to be about.

Which is a perfectly reasonable attitude!
    That's exactly my point, and that's why foreign lecturers get confused. Personally I'd rather be learning the material, but you'd be a fool to not spend your time studying previous exams. At the end of it all, success at university is judged by what kind of honours you get.

I know that, ideally, university is supposed to be about education, but in reality it's about finding ways to get funding and students are regarded as "money batteries." Have a look at the constantly expanding arts degree options. Do you not find it odd that career guidance counsellors are currently advising the kiddos to get arts degrees?

Pure maths at this university is learned by rote. Think about it. You write down proofs (to theorems that you don't even understand) on the exams, and you're awarded with an A. Course looks good on paper, grades are fine... everything's fine.

I tutored some leaving cert kid over the summer and he had to use his calculator to calculate 10 squared. If this is your ulcer, I feel sorry for you.
    Exams generally used to be 3 hours, but there was little or no continuous assessment involved in modules. When CA became more prevalent...
    It's really not that big of a problem. They actually have efficient grading systems at other universities on this planet so there's no need for NUIG to invent their own. And, honestly, they shouldn't be trying to do anything on their own because their previous attempts at everything set the international standard for Epic Fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yup. People like to go on about how Galway is worse than Trinity, but better than Maynooth (Sez so in the Irish Times rankings!!!). Funny thing is, Maynooth is actually a better university because their degrees are less respected. Is that a paradox?
    I'm not going to endanger myself (:pac:) by tackling this one except to say that I pay very little attention to the various rankings ... they're based on so many factors (and some which I would argue) that I tend to ignore them. Let's just say that there are ways to manipulate them that have nothing to do with the core functions of the university, and a lot to do with having a bigger budget and being prepared to prioritise publicity and pander to the rankings.
    I try to study as independently as possible, but they drag you back in. People like to debate this, but I prefer textbooks to lecturers. (Cue some retard quoting the university charter regarding attendance).
    A good mix / balance is actually ideal ... assuming ofc that your lecturers are good.
    Some lecturers like to recommend 10+ textbooks, and then go on to add "any textbook on the subject will do." They then use exotic notation that differs wildly from the recommended textbooks (and the textbooks themselves have wildly differing notation). This is a bit of a problem once you get past basic calculus. Why not choose one textbook, and build the course around it?
    Maths is not my area, so I can't answer that. Certainly, for any area I might teach, the problem is that there is usually no one textbook (or even two or three) that cover all the material in sufficient detail. Plus most of the areas would be strongly contested between different schools of thought, and most textbooks approach a subject from one theoretical perspective ... immediate problem!

I would have thought it would be easier to do so for maths or the sciences, but as I say, they're not my field.
    Second problem is much worse: if it occurs to a randomly selected crap lecturer that any student can do well without their help, they will invariably boycott Blackboard. As in, "there is only one way through this course, and it goes through me." We're coming up on 2011, and educators at this institution are choosing to not use the internet.
    There are widely differing (usually strong!) views on this one, and I can understand and sympathise with most of them.

Personally, I think Blackboard / Moodle, Powerpoint, etc. are great teaching support tools. They're not necessarily great teachers though (ofc, your point is, neither are some lecturers, and I take that point).

Some lecturers love them, and upload everything. The problem then though can be that students say "oh, sure everything will be online, I don't need to go to the lectures!". Now I have no real problem with that, personally, IF people take responsibility for themselves and do the work independently ... I'm aware that my face is no delight, and I actually don't feel the need to impose it on students' nightmares! :p The problem, though, is that the majority won't / don't ... they do SFA for most of the semester, relying on the fact that they "have all the notes", then cram / panic / cram / memorise / cram / regurgitate over the last couple of weeks.

We seem to be in agreement that that is not education. The reality is that they won't even remember it, despite having memorised it, two weeks later, let alone having understood it, and as for critical analysis / reflection ... pffft! :rolleyes:

Hell, it's not even good for their health!
    That's exactly my point, and that's why foreign lecturers get confused. Personally I'd rather be learning the material, but you'd be a fool to not spend your time studying previous exams. At the end of it all, success at university is judged by what kind of honours you get.
    ... which *should* be based not only on what you know / have memorised, but far more importantly your ability to think critically / analyse / make relevant connections between material.
    I know that, ideally, university is supposed to be about education, but in reality it's about finding ways to get funding and students are regarded as "money batteries." Have a look at the constantly expanding arts degree options.
    Funnily enough, the emphasis on critical thinking probably survives better in arts degrees (and it should ... that's what they are all about!!) though even there it is under severe threat from the effects of massification. When you have 500 students lined up in front of you in a lecture hall, it's very hard to do anything but lecture at them, and hope to encourage them in other ways to think for themselves outside that milieu. Tutorials can help, but gone forever are the old days where, for example, in universities like Oxford and Cambridge every student had an hour's one-to-one tutorial with a member of faculty (not a post-grad!) where the week's lectures and the student's supplementary reading would be discussed in detail and analysed. On top of that, each student prepared a weekly essay for his tutor, which would be discussed and feedback given. Unfortunately, those kind of systems will never be seen again; they simply aren't viable with the numbers to-day.
    Pure maths at this university is learned by rote. Think about it. You write down proofs (to theorems that you don't even understand) on the exams, and you're awarded with an A. Course looks good on paper, grades are fine... everything's fine.
    Again, not a Maths buff, so can't really comment. However, if you're regurgitating stuff you don't understand or can't apply, yes, there is a problem.
    I tutored some leaving cert kid over the summer and he had to use his calculator to calculate 10 squared. If this is your ulcer, I feel sorry for you.
    It's an example of it, yes. :(
    It's really not that big of a problem. They actually have efficient grading systems at other universities on this planet so there's no need for NUIG to invent their own. And, honestly, they shouldn't be trying to do anything on their own because their previous attempts at everything set the international standard for Epic Fail.
    You've lost me a bit here as to your exact point. What type of systems exactly are you arguing for? All continuous assessment? ... leads to problems with reliability / plagiarism unless you have some way of cross-checking, which terminal exams are *supposed* to do, though I'll admit I'm not their greatest fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Why the hell can you not bring a cup of tea into the library?? What is the basis behind it, considering that it's ok to bring water or any other bottled fizzy drink!! I like to have a cuppa tea while I'm doin some work but now I had to just swig it down quick outside to make sure I wasn't wastin 1 mins of study unnecessarily! It's a ridiculos rule!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Padkir wrote: »
    Why the hell can you not bring a cup of tea into the library?? What is the basis behind it, considering that it's ok to bring water or any other bottled fizzy drink!! I like to have a cuppa tea while I'm doin some work but now I had to just swig it down quick outside to make sure I wasn't wastin 1 mins of study unnecessarily! It's a ridiculos rule!!!

I thought that only bottled water was allowed, not fizzy drinks.

I don't agree that its a ridiculous rule, students have to be allow bring some type of drink in, and in the event of the inevitable spill that is bound to occur, water is going to do the least amount of damage to library books etc.

It's a rule to help keep the books in the library in good condition for a long time.
    IMO it's a good rule, maybe poorly enforced.

God knows it would only take a single tea/coffee stain, over a single passage of exam relevant material, on the last copy on the shelf, of a certain book around exam time for some panicked student to start complaining about the condition of the library books.

I thought that only bottled water was allowed, not fizzy drinks.

I don't agree that its a ridiculous rule, students have to be allow bring some type of drink in, and in the event of the inevitable spill that is bound to occur, water is going to do the least amount of damage to library books etc.

It's a rule to help keep the books in the library in good condition for a long time.
    IMO it's a good rule, maybe poorly enforced.

God knows it would only take a single tea/coffee stain, over a single passage of exam relevant material, on the last copy on the shelf, of a certain book around exam time for some panicked student to start complaining about the condition of the library books.

Water may do the least damage, that's a really good point. But I know for me at least, when I have tea I a) drink it faster than any other drink because it can't go cold or its rotten, and b) am a lot more mindful of where I leave it down, where my arms are etc.

It could easily happen that if you check a book out of the library, a lot more than a tea/coffee stain could occur. You could get bolognese all over it, your baby sister might decide its nicer than her usual mush, the dog might chew it up etc. Accidents can happen anywhere to be fair! It should be enforced that its either water or nothing at all though, spilling lucozade would be stickier than spilling tea like:)!

While I'm here, I might as well add in about the library, what's with the toilets? Not a regular in the library at all but when I needed to go I had to text someone to find out where they were, as there just aren't any little signs or anything saying it! You'd think they'd be near the lads jacks, but anyway! And then, when I got there, there were 3 cubicles, 2 of which were out of order! I mean, the amount of people that are inevitably going to need to go, and only one toilet, seems a bit daft? Had to queue up, like in a niteclub or something!:rolleyes:

You really start to notice all the annoying things about university at exam time, I don't do half as much giving out the rest of the time:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I was in the bialinn today and the manager came up to me and my boyfriend and told us we were not allowed to eat food from other shops in there.. we had food from centra. She told us we would have to buy something in the bialinn to remain seating there and she said the same to a few others. She then came back around and demanded to see what we had bought. We refused to buy anything and then left. Is there not supposed to be signs saying this instead of the REALLY annoying staff intruding your lunch?!

• Advertisement

cat_xx wrote: »
    I was in the bialinn today and the manager came up to me and my boyfriend and told us we were not allowed to eat food from other shops in there.. we had food from centra. She told us we would have to buy something in the bialinn to remain seating there and she said the same to a few others. She then came back around and demanded to see what we had bought. We refused to buy anything and then left. Is there not supposed to be signs saying this instead of the REALLY annoying staff intruding your lunch?!

Prob because the place is quiet in there today and they've nothing else for doing.

I'd love to be approached in a situation like above. I know it sounds knacker'ish but i'd simply reply with "Make me" - It'd be some sight to see her get a few boys out from the kitchen to physicially lift you off the premesis (which would never happen as this constitutes as assault)

Advertisement