Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA

• 08-04-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

One of my friends sent me this link. At the bottom of the document it says a 2.5 qca is automatically awarded a 2.2 degree even though a 2.2 degree is supposed to be a qca of 2.6...

Is this still done in the kemmy or is the link outdated??

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hatch92

Trader1991 wrote: »
    One of my friends sent me this link. At the bottom of the document it says a 2.5 qca is automatically awarded a 2.2 degree even though a 2.2 degree is supposed to be a qca of 2.6...

Is this still done in the kemmy or is the link outdated??

Cheers..

Im in a similar situation myself , how did it work out for you in the end did you get the degree and qca you hoped for ?

Also how much did you improve your qca in fourth year ?

im sitting at 2.73 now heading into 4th year in september

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Hatch92 wrote: »
    Im in a similar situation myself , how did it work out for you in the end did you get the degree and qca you hoped for ?

hey,

I averaged a 2.84 qca in fourth year and got my overall qca up to 2.57.

They awarded me a 2.2 degree which was the best I could have hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Hatch92 wrote: »

Just finished 4th year. Went into it with a 2.67 QCA came out with a 3.05.
    Put the head down and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hatch92

Busyness1 wrote: »
    Just finished 4th year. Went into it with a 2.67 QCA came out with a 3.05.
    Put the head down and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance what kind of qca each semester did you get to boost it up to 3.05 ?

• Advertisement

Got 3.32 in first semester and 3.48 in second semester. Had 2 dud groups for a 40% and 50% projects so it could have been higher in 2nd semester. Made it my sole focus for the year to leave with a 2.1 so maximize your productivity, use journals in all of your work to go from the b to the a. Can't emphasize enough how useful weekends are in getting on top of things... Use your weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just for the record, that discretionary band also exists for a 1.1.

Between 3.3-3.4 you are in the discretionary band.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just for the record, that discretionary band also exists for a 1.1.

Between 3.3-3.4 you are in the discretionary band.

I know that for the Kemmy Business School, the way it works is: 2.2 = 2.6 QCA, 2.1 = 3.0 QCA and a 1.1 = 3.40 QCA.

If you are within .05 of any of the higher awards, they give it to you automatically (2.55, 2.95, 3.35), if you are .10 away from a 2.2 (2.50-2.54) you are given the 2.2 but if you are .10 from the 2.1 (2.90-2.94) or the 1.1 (3.30-3.34) it has to go before a committee who will decide what you are awarded. I don't think the student has any say here and I am not certain how likely you are to be given the higher award, it is totally at the discretion of the committee. I'm presuming attendance, engagement with lecturers etc would come into it and your work would be reviewed by the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I know that for the Kemmy Business School, the way it works is: 2.2 = 2.6 QCA, 2.1 = 3.0 QCA and a 1.1 = 3.40 QCA.

If you are within .05 of any of the higher awards, they give it to you automatically (2.55, 2.95, 3.35), if you are .10 away from a 2.2 (2.50-2.54) you are given the 2.2 but if you are .10 from the 2.1 (2.90-2.94) or the 1.1 (3.30-3.34) it has to go before a committee who will decide what you are awarded. I don't think the student has any say here and I am not certain how likely you are to be given the higher award, it is totally at the discretion of the committee. I'm presuming attendance, engagement with lecturers etc would come into it and your work would be reviewed by the panel.

There's nothing automatic about the .1 discretionary band AFAIK - it may be applied based on department/course criteria such as getting a certain grade in X module (maybe FYP or a clinical placement).

Certainly in the Kemmy Business School the .10 is applied automatically for a 2.2 award, the 2.1 and 1.1 you need to be within .05 to be given automatically and if you are outside of .05 but within 0.10 it will be referred to the committee.

Google this and you'll find more information. New user so it won't let me post link.
    KBSchool_Policy_on_use_of_UL_Discretionary_Bands11Apr13.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Google this and you'll find more information. New user so it won't let me post link.
    KBSchool_Policy_on_use_of_UL_Discretionary_Bands11Apr13.pdf

Liking the way this thread is now the first search result when you Google that :)
    http://www.ul.ie/business/sites/default/files/files/KBSchool_Policy_on_use_of_UL_Discretionary_Bands11Apr13.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭scheister

i was in KBS last year for a masters ended up on 2.93 QCA went to the committee and was left at the 2.2. So its not a dead cert if you are in the band or close to it that you will be upped :(

scheister wrote: »
    i was in KBS last year for a masters ended up on 2.93 QCA went to the committee and was left at the 2.2. So its not a dead cert if you are in the band or close to it that you will be upped :(

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if it's a 2.2 your after .10 away from 2.6 will get you it but for a 2.1 or 1.1 you'll have to be within 0.05 to be sure you'll get it. Tough break... What masters did you do? Were you involved in the committee process at all?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if it's a 2.2 your after .10 away from 2.6 will get you it but for a 2.1 or 1.1 you'll have to be within 0.05 to be sure you'll get it. Tough break... What masters did you do? Were you involved in the committee process at all?

masters in taxation. no i was not involved at all 1st i heard when talking to my course coordinator after the results came out. From what i gather it was the external examiner they had the final say on weather to move you up rather then someone internal which was interesting. not sure if this is always the case or was the course coordinator shifting the blame

Good to know! In fairness though there's a big difference between a 2.2 undergrad and a 2.2 masters... a masters is a masters at the end of the day, higher level concepts and materials in a shorter space of time.. can't imagine it's impacted on you too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

In fairness though there's a big difference between a 2.2 undergrad and a 2.2 masters...

I highlighted the difference for you :D

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I highlighted the difference for you :D

Polar, who let you out of the crèche thread?!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

to go up to a 2.1 automatically you do have to be within 0.05. Otherwise though I would have thought a course coordinator or your lectures would make a case for students who were in front of the committee.

Good to know! In fairness though there's a big difference between a 2.2 undergrad and a 2.2 masters... a masters is a masters at the end of the day, higher level concepts and materials in a shorter space of time.. can't imagine it's impacted on you too much?

not in accounting or business. Its a 2.1, 1.1 or not interested in 90% of cases

ryanf1 wrote: »
    to go up to a 2.1 automatically you do have to be within 0.05. Otherwise though I would have thought a course coordinator or your lectures would make a case for students who were in front of the committee.

Yes but as Scheister said, it was sent to the external examiner wasn't done internally probably to eliminate any bias towards students. I think there may be more leniency given toward an undergrad in that position as opposed to a postgrad.

• Advertisement

scheister wrote: »
    not in accounting or business. Its a 2.1, 1.1 or not interested in 90% of cases
    Wow... I better start rolling up the sleeves then come Sept!!

Advertisement