Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused about COOP

• 03-01-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a first year Psych and Soc student, and I know COOP is a bit off but I've already started thinking about it and just have a few questions.
    I'm scheduled (I think) to go on COOP for semester 4. Does this last through the following summer too? And is placement paid?
    I'm also scheduled for COOP in semester 5. Is this a continuation of the previous COOP of do I get to go somewhere new? And will I have the opportunity to study abroad? As I believe the Bsc. Psychology class have Erasmus scheduled for that same semester, and I would really love to go abroad.
    Also, what kind of placements do students on this course usually get offered?
    I really would prefer to do a Psychology related placement.
    And can you find your own placement? Or do you have to go along with whatever the University can come up with?
    If you are allowed to find your own placements, is there any psychology placements that you would recommend? Or even some place to start looking?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to have an idea of what I want to do, especially if I want to find accommodation only for one semester for next year.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I can't answer any of the specific placement questions, but I'll try and clear up a few things.

I would assume that the placement in Semester 4 is Co-Op, a work placement where you'll be working in your field of study. Yes, it will more than likely continue into the summer, as some placements can be 6-8 months.

I'm guessing that the placement in Semester 5 is Erasmus, where you'll study abroad.

Co-Op placements can be paid or unpaid, it's all down to the company tbh.

You can find your own placement or you can let the Co-Op office sort it out. It's up to you.

Someone in your course will probably debunk everything I've said there, but in theory it should answer some of your questions at any rate. :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Placement for arts based courses are generally 6 months minimum so you might work Jan-June and have the summer off, then go on Erasmus the following September/October. I think the BSc Psych go on co-op/erasmus different semesters to the soc+psych.

Some placements are paid, though there are less of them these days. You can indeed find your own which might increase the chances of getting a paid one. In general if you decide to do co-op abroad you could find a paid one much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a first year Psych and Soc student, and I know COOP is a bit off but I've already started thinking about it and just have a few questions.
    I'm scheduled (I think) to go on COOP for semester 4. Does this last through the following summer too? And is placement paid?
    I'm also scheduled for COOP in semester 5. Is this a continuation of the previous COOP of do I get to go somewhere new? And will I have the opportunity to study abroad? As I believe the Bsc. Psychology class have Erasmus scheduled for that same semester, and I would really love to go abroad.
    Also, what kind of placements do students on this course usually get offered?
    I really would prefer to do a Psychology related placement.
    And can you find your own placement? Or do you have to go along with whatever the University can come up with?
    If you are allowed to find your own placements, is there any psychology placements that you would recommend? Or even some place to start looking?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to have an idea of what I want to do, especially if I want to find accommodation only for one semester for next year.

Hey I'm a 4th year psych student so I think I can answer all of your questions.

Psych and soc go on coop for semester 4, coop is generally for a min of 6 months and can include some of the summer months depending on where you get a placement. For example, a friend of mine in your course worked from January until July/August.

It might be hard to accept but its very difficult to get a psychology related placement. The best you might get is a job as a research assistant in the psych dept in UL or a placement with a charity. If you choose to find your own placement you might get a job with a rehab or special needs center. Unfortunately most of these types of placements are unpaid. If you go abroad, which is what I did, you're more likely to find a paid placement. Going abroad is so much better than staying in Ireland I taught English in Japan and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I would recommend taking the chance to go abroad while you can.

The second coop listed in the course outline is a mistake it's meant to be erasmus which means you'll go abroad to study for one semester. I would suggest looking into it early and making a decision about which uni you want to go to because places fill up fast.

All the best,
    Lyra

Feel free to ask me any more questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

That's great help, thanks.
    Just wondering, were you offered to teach English in Japan or did you find the placement yourself?

That's great help, thanks.
    Just wondering, were you offered to teach English in Japan or did you find the placement yourself?

I went to a meeting about international placement and among the various countries that were looking for English teachers Japan stood out. I then contacted my coop supervisor and asked them to inquire if there were jobs available. After that I sent my CV, cover letter and transcript.

The company eventually got back to me and offered me an interview which involved a short introduction on camera (ideally using some Japanese, like saying hello and what your name is), a demo lesson on camera which was terrifying but fun and finally a short casual interview.

Edit: At the time of the interview I had never studied Japanese. It makes living in Japan a little more difficult but won't prevent you getting the job.

• Advertisement

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    I went to a meeting about international placement and among the various countries that were looking for English teachers Japan stood out. I then contacted my coop supervisor and asked them to inquire if there were jobs available. After that I sent my CV, cover letter and transcript.

The company eventually got back to me and offered me an interview which involved a short introduction on camera (ideally using some Japanese, like saying hello and what your name is), a demo lesson on camera which was terrifying but fun and finally a short casual interview.

Edit: At the time of the interview I had never studied Japanese. It makes living in Japan a little more difficult but won't prevent you getting the job.

Great thanks!
    Not sure if I'd be interested in going to Japan, but I would like to try teaching English, maybe in a different country.

Great thanks!
    Not sure if I'd be interested in going to Japan, but I would like to try teaching English, maybe in a different country.

Korea is supposed to be a great place to teach in but they're very strict about who they let in, when I looked into it they were so many forms and such to fill out it was quite daunting.

There's also Beijing and placements in Spain.

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Korea is supposed to be a great place to teach in but they're very strict about who they let in, when I looked into it they were so many forms and such to fill out it was quite daunting.

There's also Beijing and placements in Spain.

Is all this info. you received in your COOP meetings or is it available online somewhere where I can read more about it? :)

Is all this info. you received in your COOP meetings or is it available online somewhere where I can read more about it? :)

It's from the international coop meeting but if you just goggle ESL (English as a second language) or ALT (Assistant language teacher) placements you should find a lot of information. It might not all be together but it will give you a better idea of what's out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

@Biohaiid I know this thread is old and I'm unsure whether or not you will see this but in any case what co-op placement did you end up getting? I just finished 1st year of the BA myself and I'm terrified that UL will give me a placement in Dublin or somewhere really far out. Do you have any advise where I should start looking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement