Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The way unmarried mothers were/are viewed in Ireland

• 11-06-2014 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

In the light of the current news, the recently closed thread on this forum, and the fact that we need to talk about this aspect of our recent history, can we please start another thread? I notice that Oldgoat said

"Thread closed.
    You were asked to keep the discussion civil and you failed. You cast accusations without any thought.
    A pity really, thread had the makings of a good discussion."

I would love to have a good discussion. I would love not to be feeling like I have been just recently divorced from my country, having hung on in this relationship till the bitter end. I would love not to be looking over my shoulder right now, being one of those "repeat offenders", in the words of the notable worthies who made it their business to drive unmarried pregnant women from the hospitals into these homes.....why am I feeling that Ireland still views the likes of me this way? I have many questions folks, and I will be civil in the asking. Sometimes I get angry, but I respond to a quick word of rationality.

Please can we start this topic again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/1964/0914/Pg008.html

A starting point of sorts. 1964, 8 years before I was born, 3 years after my English partner was born (who remembers nothing like this). I grew up understanding that if my mother had had a difficult birth with me, the hospital would have saved me over her.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90777546&postcount=1498
    Yesterday on newstalk, a mother talked about her baby who was starved to death by a Dublin hospital in the 60's because it had Spina Bifida. They said she could have more.

Scroll forward to last year, and Savita Halapanavar lay in Galway Hospital pleading that she could have more, please abort her pregnancy that was going fatally wrong, but no. They wouldn't.

These both were married women, not that that should make a difference but we all know it used to. Where do we get our standards, our morals? Do we have any OF OUR OWN? Did we ever have any consistent way of respecting life?

In my opinion, this country's standards and morals have been imposed on us when we weren't ruling our own country, and also imposed on us since we were. But we took it. We relished those morals even, and as a society became better at oppression of our own than our previous overlords. Maybe we were always like that.

I'd love to hear some opinions from people who were around a bit longer than me, because right now I don't feel like I belong any more and I wonder how many folk have felt like that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I, too, feel disjointed. You are not alone. I was born in 1960, all I really remember about the Catholic Church is a feeling of "full spectrum dominance". The ethos was everywhere, and everywhere it was negative; Thou Must not, Thou dare not. Thou will obey. In School, (CBS Primary and Secondary) at home, on Sundays. Everywhere.

Its hard to explain to such a "positive" generation as we have today, but really we were brainwashed by fear. We should have been drowned in love.

In summation, my Catholic upbringing was not a force for good. It left me with an uncaused and undeserved feeling of guilt. ( Original sin? what a joke ). I think my morality and ethics have managed to peek out from this dark cloud. But its a struggle, sometimes every day a struggle.

I like to think that I have managed to escape the mental torture of that time. But its so damned hard. The latest scandals of the babies in Tuam has broken the final chord. From now on, its just me and God. I dont need any Priest or Nun or Druid in between me and Him.

May God forgive those who have turned their backs on compassion and love, to live a life of adherence and dismal obedience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I have the greatest admiration for my grandmother - deceased.
    She raised three children on her own from three fathers during the 1930's/40's in a rural town in Ireland.
    Her Mother - my great grandmother was an amazing woman. She was tough out ! She did not over react and supported her daughter and her grandchildren.

Nowadays this is normal but back then - this practical type of love - was going against the grain.

If my great grandmother could support her daughter why couldn't others?

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I, too, feel disjointed. You are not alone. I was born in 1960, all I really remember about the Catholic Church is a feeling of "full spectrum dominance". The ethos was everywhere, and everywhere it was negative; Thou Must not, Thou dare not. Thou will obey. In School, (CBS Primary and Secondary) at home, on Sundays. Everywhere.

Its hard to explain to such a "positive" generation as we have today, but really we were brainwashed by fear. We should have been drowned in love.

Well put. I know I was drowned in abstracts. What the church believes, what the state supports, what my parents believe, what is "Irish", what is "West-brit". I am the atheist child of a Catholic/Protestant marriage. I grew up knowing that half the country felt I didn't belong but made it my business to have my say anyway, as the RCC fear wasn't so strong for me. However, their policies were, and are, fearful.
    In summation, my Catholic upbringing was not a force for good. It left me with an uncaused and undeserved feeling of guilt. ( Original sin? what a joke ). I think my morality and ethics have managed to peek out from this dark cloud. But its a struggle, sometimes every day a struggle.

Interestingly, I have come from an Irish yet opposite position of having a strong moral and ethical code that isn't recognised by the state. The dark cloud in my case is the constant denial of my morals as being valid as they are not based on a belief in god, or anything sacred. I have no such guilt, but possibly more feeling of rejection?
    I like to think that I have managed to escape the mental torture of that time. But its so damned hard. The latest scandals of the babies in Tuam has broken the final chord. From now on, its just me and God. I dont need any Priest or Nun or Druid in between me and Him.

May God forgive those who have turned their backs on compassion and love, to live a life of adherence and dismal obedience.

They've broken me too. I'd never knock your belief in God, you're entitled to believe what you like as much as I am. I'll say though that WE can never forgive those who turned their backs on compassion and love (even the people who are so self righteous in their morals today) unless we ask them how they came to that. How they thought what they did, particularly of unmarried mothers, sex, sexuality, contraception, abortion.....all the taboos. How they still think that?

Thanks for your reply btw.

Red Hare wrote: »
    She raised three children on her own from three fathers during the 1930's/40's in a rural town in Ireland.
    Her Mother - my great grandmother was an amazing woman. She was tough out ! She did not over react and supported her daughter and her grandchildren.

Nowadays this is normal but back then - this practical type of love - was going against the grain.

Goodness! And good question. Did you ever ask your mother/grandmother? Not the kind of question we used to ask though....

• Advertisement

No i never asked my grandmother - I was only in my teens when she passed on - its good though that she didn't end up in some institution like so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, I am not really following what you are saying, are you saying you don't feel like you belong because you do not identify with the current morals of the country, or you are ashamed of the previous social morality, or is it something else?

It is so much easier to look at the evils of the past and wring our hands about them than it is to look at the issues of the present and accept that maybe something should be done about them. We need to recognise things that were done badly in order to use them as stepping stones to continuing to improve our society, and on the whole this does happen. Society is vastly better now than it was in the past, and yet we still have problems that need to be dealt with, and in a couple of generations there will be people saying 'why did you not do something about that? How could you let it happen?'

It is not a matter of 'sweeping it under the carpet', it is right that all the recent scandals about, for example, the Church, should have been exposed. If nothing else it will ensure that the same things cannot happen again. But what has been done cannot be undone and the exposures should be worth more than an opportunity for lurid headlines and self-righteous indignation. We have to learn from events and move on to make sure that future scandals are caught before they happen.

There was a recent headline about Traveller mortality rates being higher than the general population. How many people have said, 'this is disgraceful, we have to do something about it'?. And how many said, 'it is their own choice to live the way they do, what can we do about it'? How is this any different to society regarding women who got pregnant outside marriage as people who brought their problems on themselves?

We are even more culpable now, as we are now more conscious of what needs to be done in society, rather than accepting that 'they' know best and nothing can be done about the institutions that control us. Indeed with the almost overwhelming availability of information and opportunities for discussion now, nothing should be hidden away. Are we all loudly protesting that, for example, homelessness should not exist, children should not have to live in disfunctional families, hospitals should not be overcrowded and underfunded, and so on? Some people are, but still there are others who complain about the Nanny state, spongers and idlers and people with a sense of entitlement.

Improving society is an on-going process and feeling demoralised by what happened in the past is not helpful. Expose corruption, cruelty and injustice, accept the lessons, and use the knowledge to move on, we are not at the end of the process, this is just part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Oblig,

thank you.

When I talk about "God" I dont mean a being with a beard in the Stars, looking down from Heaven.

I feel a sense of creation, of choices between goodness and evil and of their being two forces in the World sometimes. Maybe some kind of Manichean concept of opposing powers at work.

I choose the bright side of the road. I grew up on the dark side.

But never, ever again will I leave a Druid, Priest, Nun, Shaman, Holistic Healer or whatever go unchallenged. Walk your own path and simply follow the Golden Rule.

Have peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

Did the fathers know about their children? Or was she just unlucky at choosing very bad partners?

looksee wrote: »
    OP, I am not really following what you are saying, are you saying you don't feel like you belong because you do not identify with the current morals of the country, or you are ashamed of the previous social morality, or is it something else?

I realise I'm a bit all over the place, sorry. I think, all of the above except that I'm not ashamed of the previous social morality, I'm ashamed that we don't know of it and it's only coming to light now. I'm also ashamed that because of our lack of education into how we treated unmarried mothers, sex, sexuality, contraception and abortion in the past, we are still informed by the moral high ground that society took then BECAUSE we have not asked the hard questions of ourselves. We have pretended we had all the answers and all the answers were godly. It's enshrined in our constitution and not in a good way IMO. 1937 saw that happen. We haven't changed much since then, and those were the times we still locked up unmarried mothers.
    It is so much easier to look at the evils of the past and wring our hands about them than it is to look at the issues of the present and accept that maybe something should be done about them. We need to recognise things that were done badly in order to use them as stepping stones to continuing to improve our society, and on the whole this does happen. Society is vastly better now than it was in the past, and yet we still have problems that need to be dealt with, and in a couple of generations there will be people saying 'why did you not do something about that? How could you let it happen?'

Completely agreed. I've been saying that in another thread. I don't do handwringing, but I find it difficult not to despair of any change sometimes. Please forgive. I'm here seeking more ways I can understand the present, by being informed by the past.
    It is not a matter of 'sweeping it under the carpet', it is right that all the recent scandals about, for example, the Church, should have been exposed. If nothing else it will ensure that the same things cannot happen again. But what has been done cannot be undone and the exposures should be worth more than an opportunity for lurid headlines and self-righteous indignation. We have to learn from events and move on to make sure that future scandals are caught before they happen.

I've been saying that for a while now, but how do we learn from events unless the events are taught to our next generations in a factual manner without RCC whitewashing? I ask, because 95% of our schools are owned by the private organisation of the RCC.
    There was a recent headline about Traveller mortality rates being higher than the general population. How many people have said, 'this is disgraceful, we have to do something about it'?. And how many said, 'it is their own choice to live the way they do, what can we do about it'? How is this any different to society regarding women who got pregnant outside marriage as people who brought their problems on themselves?

We are even more culpable now, as we are now more conscious of what needs to be done in society, rather than accepting that 'they' know best and nothing can be done about the institutions that control us. Indeed with the almost overwhelming availability of information and opportunities for discussion now, nothing should be hidden away. Are we all loudly protesting that, for example, homelessness should not exist, children should not have to live in disfunctional families, hospitals should not be overcrowded and underfunded, and so on? Some people are, but still there are others who complain about the Nanny state, spongers and idlers and people with a sense of entitlement.

You're quite right, of course. There are disgraces happening today, appalling human rights abuses and massive righteousness about who is entitled to care and who should not be. A bit of perspective is something I should hold onto, and tbh, I do not deny these things are happening but I admit I probably don't protest as much as I could.

I guess I'm particularly touchy about this issue. When this came up, I remembered a local fella approaching me years ago - myself and another single mother friend. He asked me to come and help look after the Cillín with him, as it would be the likes of our children who were in there. It's only from my recent and sharp learning curve about this issue that I understand what he meant and it hit me like a brick.
    Improving society is an on-going process and feeling demoralised by what happened in the past is not helpful. Expose corruption, cruelty and injustice, accept the lessons, and use the knowledge to move on, we are not at the end of the process, this is just part of it.

Gosh, I'll give it a go. I'm trying to be a more action less talk kind of person, but clearly not good enough. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

It's important to remember that ordinary people were kept ignorant of facts and that information was not available the way it is today.

My mother (born in the 40s) told me that as a teenager she borrowed shoes and went to her first dance, danced with a stranger and worried afterwards in case she was pregnant from dancing with him. She literally did not know how you got pregnant or indeed what sex entailed. So she never really knew if she was "doing sex" until she was much older. It was all rumour, misinformation, fear.

Young people would have sex and not even know that this was the thing you could get pregnant from doing.

millie35 wrote: »
    Did the fathers know about their children? Or was she just unlucky at choosing very bad partners?

Oh yes - they knew alright! but abandoned responsibilty. And Yes - she was unlucky!

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    Have peace.

Peace right back at you Tigerbaby. It's a work in progress eh? :o

• There should be a criminal investigation. If members of the catholic church or lay people are found to have been involved or committed these atrocitys, they should be tried by a jury instructed to disregard whatever "orders" they were following.

There should be a criminal investigation. If members of the catholic church or lay people are found to have been involved or committed these atrocitys, they should be tried by a jury instructed to disregard whatever "orders" they were following.

Quite right. It's just unfortunate that even the judicial system cannot be impartial in Ireland as you're guaranteed to have a judge that believes in god. Please understand that I'm not knocking it that judges would believe in a god - just pointing out exactly how far religious control still informs our society - to the extent that we can't have an atheist judge. This is part of a legacy of control that continues to discriminate in favour of religious morals. Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Obliq wrote: »
    Quite right. It's just unfortunate that even the judicial system cannot be impartial in Ireland as you're guaranteed to have a judge that believes in god. Please understand that I'm not knocking it that judges would believe in a god - just pointing out exactly how far religious control still informs our society - to the extent that we can't have an atheist judge. This is part of a legacy of control that continues to discriminate in favour of religious morals. Am I wrong?

Doesnt the whole judicial systems requires oaths sworn on bibles :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Doesnt the whole judicial systems requires oaths sworn on bibles :confused:
    No. People can 'Affirm' rather than swear on bibles.
    http://secular.ie/2012/08/01/oath-to-god-and-the-affirmation-in-irish-courts-discrimination-on-right-to-privacy-and-jury-bias/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Three children by three different fathers. I thought that only happened on Jeremy Kyle

Mod: Your point is irrelevant to the discussion, please stay on topic.

The remark from Santa Cruz towards my grandmother seems cowardly and pathetic to me compared with the bravery she held during the 1930's & 40's when she raised her children in this country of ours, despite such attitudes it held then, and evidently still holds now by some - as embodied by Santa Cruz's contribution to this discussion - " The way unmarried mothers were/are viewed in Ireland".

It seems evident to me from Santa Cruz's contribution, that there is still prejudice or even hatred towards unmarried mothers in this county.

I think in light of what occurred in Tuam and in other centres in this country we are going to have to deal with our attitudes to other human beings - what occurred in Tuam is akin to hate crimes. It is shocking - and it did happen! Dealing with this is going to take a lot of maturity which I hope we have as a county in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: Lets not let this get personal, please move on with the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Obliq wrote: »

The religion question in Court, arises when a witness is asked to Swear An Oath, that they will be truthful, or to affirm the same.

This is to ensure the witness will be truthful, according to their own conscience, and nothing to do with the Judge as such.

Yes our society was Ruled by the Religious in the past, but not in these more enlightened times.

We closed, and recently re-opened our Embassy in the Vatican, and Enda was not slow to have a cut at the Vatican in the past. That would not have happened under Charles McQuade.

The religious attitude is that these ladies were sinners, fallen, and needed penance, not an attitude which would prevail at the moment, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

martinn123 wrote: »
    The religious attitude is that these ladies were sinners, fallen, and needed penance,

They definitely weren't seen as "ladies"! They were seen as no better than a common prostitute, a degraded creature who wasn't seen as even human.

And as for the children of these misalliances: born from lust, they were 'bastards' - tainted creatures who were fatally flawed from the beginning. (Game of Thrones is really good on this kind of social attitude, if anyone has read it.)

There has been some interesting socio-historical research into the sexual ignorance rife amongst young people regarding sex and birth, in the 1960s and earlier. Women in labour going into hospital wondering how on earth the baby would come out of their belly-button. Married couples seeking treatment for infertility...but they didn't know how to have sex. Women coming into hospital for bad stomach pains, who didn't even know they were pregnant. I've been working in health since the 1980s and I remember some of these actual patients - it's not just myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have to agree with the above post.

Sure wasn't it Gay Byrne who introduces Sex to the Irish Audience on LLS.

Remember the night he used a Plastic penis to demonstrate how to put on a condom.

The country was in shock, and I guess the Bishops were apoplectic.

Advertisement