Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Targer

• 27-11-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is quite the right section for this, apologies if not. Speaking to girls in work, Meath and Monaghan both tell me that "targer" is an expression used to describe someone that always has an answer for you and would go through you for a shortcut. I have never heard it and a brief search of Boards has 2 hits one of which is the opposite of the definition I have posted!
    Anyone give me a etymology of it or is it a very colloquial expression?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Must be very colloquial. I'm from Meath and I've never heard it! Never heard anyone from Monaghan say it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I always thought it was used to describe a woman that was loud and ungraceful and confrontational

I live in Louth btw

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH. An interesting question deserves some decent discussion.
    /subbed to thread :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Grew up in Meath, never heard it in my life.

However my mother always said 'You'd arg over anything' or 'She'd arg in an empty room' - I used to just think that was a variation on 'argue' but she also said argue as well..... so perhaps its a whole other word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭cochineal

Yes a targer is a loud, coarse, confrontational woman - someone who is always fighting with someone else. My mother whose mother was a real Dubliner told her the phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Olivine

I grew up in dublin in the 50s and it was a very common word. It meant a fiery tempered woman who was always looking for a fight. I've no idea where the word originated but would b interested to find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Olivine wrote: »
    I grew up in dublin in the 50s and it was a very common word. It meant a fiery tempered woman who was always looking for a fight. I've no idea where the word originated but would b interested to find out.

From termagant, maybe?

Advertisement