Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

There's a slightly annoying issue with the lock screen on my device.

I have the time on the lock screen and if I have the screen off a while and press the home button to check the time, I notice it takes a second or so for the current time to show. Like I turned it on just now for the first time since last night and it flashed 1am for a second before changing to the correct time.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

There's a slightly annoying issue with the lock screen on my device.

I have the time on the lock screen and if I have the screen off a while and press the home button to check the time, I notice it takes a second or so for the current time to show. Like I turned it on just now for the first time since last night and it flashed 1am for a second before changing to the correct time.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Happens to me too. I think I seen someone on this thread talking about it a few weeks back but I am not sure of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Happens to me too. I think I seen someone on this thread talking about it a few weeks back but I am not sure of the outcome.

Happens to me too,

And I end up being late a lot as the time could be an hour earlier!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have the phone 3 weeks, took it out of my pocket on Saturday after walking around town and the screen is cracked!!! Only loose change in my pocket so obviously caused by this, but wow that is poor if it cracks against a coin!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

@madmoe

Preloading is an option within the Youtube settings.

Preload allows youtube to fetch videos in advance while on Wi-Fi and charging so you can watch them later on a slower network without the need for buffering.

---

That time issue I think is due to the fact the phone uses the default option of using your network provided time so takes possibly takes few seconds to sync your phone from sleep. It happens on mine (and used to happen on my S2 as well). I'm going to use the manual time to see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I'm going to use the manual time to see if that makes a difference.

Cool, Will you report back and let us know if it works ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

yop wrote: »
    Have the phone 3 weeks, took it out of my pocket on Saturday after walking around town and the screen is cracked!!! Only loose change in my pocket so obviously caused by this, but wow that is poor if it cracks against a coin!!!!

That is unreal man! I personally NEVER have anything else in my phone pocket at any time as I am a stickler for it getting scratched and the likes!

Cheers,
    M

Cool, Will you report back and let us know if it works ok?

Unfortunately I've tested it for last half hour and its still the same. Only had phone off for a couple of minutes but when it came back on, it flashed the time I switched it off at for a few seconds like before.

More research required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Is it possible to change "recommended shortcuts" that are showing up after plugging in headphones?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Is it possible to change "recommended shortcuts" that are showing up after plugging in headphones?

I would like to know that as well!!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I've tested it for last half hour and its still the same. Only had phone off for a couple of minutes but when it came back on, it flashed the time I switched it off at for a few seconds like before.

More research required.

Yeah same here. Will definitely look into it a bit more as it's fairly annoying, especially with such an expensive device.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to change the shortcuts. I think it was the same on S3 as well.

The reason random apps are showing is because I think shows you the apps you used the most on WHILE wearing headphones on your last session. So, if when you plugged your headphones on you used Facebook and GMail more than the music app, those two are gonna show up first.

I have found a way to disable it though so will leave it disabled until there is a way to manually change the shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

madmoe wrote: »
    I would like to know that as well!!

I know how to switch it off (a workaround, there might be an easier way):
    1. Use app that allows to create a shortcut, I used QuickShortcutMaker
    2. Make shortcut to Page Buddy
    3. Open the shortcut and clear the tick next to "Earphones page"

Looks like samsung decided to hide this menu - google tells me it shoud be under settings->display->pagebuddy (at least it was there in S3)

Yeah according to Samsung it should appear under the Display menu.

I disabled mine by doing the following:

to remove these "recommendations", you can disable the "PageBuddyNotiSvc" from the application manager...

just go to Settings>More>Application manager>ALL>PageBuddyNotiSvc>Disable....

Plugged in my earphones to test and the menu is now gone. It seems that Page Buddy was also used for other things but nothing useful in my eyes.

Yeah according to Samsung it should appear under the Display menu.

I disabled mine by doing the following:

to remove these "recommendations", you can disable the "PageBuddyNotiSvc" from the application manager...

just go to Settings>More>Application manager>ALL>PageBuddyNotiSvc>Disable....

Plugged in my earphones to test and the menu is now gone. It seems that Page Buddy was also used for other things but nothing useful in my eyes.

Great but will this service start up the next time the phone is rebooted mate?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Great but will this service start up the next time the phone is rebooted mate?

Cheers,
    M

Just tested it there and it didn't start up. As long as you disable it, it won't start up again till you enable it again.

If you want to enable it, it moves to the very bottom of the application list after disabling it.

Just tested it there and it didn't start up. As long as you disable it, it won't start up again till you enable it again.

If you want to enable it, it moves to the very bottom of the application list after disabling it.

Great mate, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

anyone know why is there no UPC when u set up ur set top box on the Whats on app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Yeah same here. Will definitely look into it a bit more as it's fairly annoying, especially with such an expensive device.

Putting it on manual rather than network time seems to have sped up the time change once you turn the screen on - I've always noticed a fraction of a second of lag when the time updates on my old SGS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

kave2 wrote: »
    I have Case-Mate Barely There transparent case, used it only 2 days. If anyone is interested let me know.

Are these cases any good? Im awaiting delivery from amazon any day now. Currently have a spigen neo hybrid but fancy a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭kave2

darg wrote: »
    Are these cases any good? Im awaiting delivery from amazon any day now. Currently have a spigen neo hybrid but fancy a change

Yes,it's quite good. Very slim. Here it is on adverts:
    http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/samsung-galaxy-s4-transparent-case/3157304

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My battery was at 40% when I was going to bed the other night and when I woke up it was completely dead :eek:.

My battery was at 40% when I was going to bed the other night and when I woke up it was completely dead :eek:.

Mine dropped 25% over night and that was with killing all apps etc before going to sleep. Not sure what could be causing such a drain when it's not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Dunno what apps you have running/settings on but my phone has been on for 17 hours: a 7 hour chunk of that on a poor data signal, wifi for a bit, decent signal for a bit and screen on for an hour and it's lost 34% battery - no idea how you lost 40% in half that time with no interaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It could be that you had your phone at wrong temperature or you're running too many apps or that you battery is faulty. Go into setting > more> battery and start looking at the stats. If they're not detailed enough there's probably an app you could get (I used to use BatteryBot) that may show more, but you'd have to run it for a few days.

I haven't really been using my phone at all today. Received one or two calls and watched an episode of Archer on Netflix, that's about it. It's been 16 hours+ since I last charged it. There's still apparently 64% remaining. Something definitely sounds amiss if you're leaving your phone idle and it's draining like that.

Wifi/4G, Air view, smart pause and data sync have been on all day.

Also, I'd highly recommend the automateIt app. You can set up customs rules for when you're phone is idle. So battery may be conserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i am joining the galaxy s 4 owners club on june 17th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭markc91

Im joining on the 11th :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

markc91 wrote: »
    Im joining on the 11th :P

Welcome to the family :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I charged my phone Saturday night, didn't use the phone much on Sunday, used it all day yesterday (calls and 3G), was at 17% going to bed last night, I find the battery life great in it. I've also installed the Cerebus security app, oh my am I impressed with that, I now have a reason to root my phone so I can hide the app to stop would-be theives from disabling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For people complaining of bad battery usage. Here is something I discovered. I posted this on another forum so apologies for the poor layout.

My original complaint.
    My S4 battery has declined dramatically over the last day and a half. For some bizarre reason from about 2pm yesterday my battery life started dropping dramatically. I haven't been using it any more than normal and I never downloaded an app that could be doing it. Today my battery life is 22% currently which is usually up over 60% with the same usage. I have my screen lit to the maximum, but it's been like that since I bought it but its only affecting it now.

Then I remembered one thing I changed.
    Actually I thought of one thing I did change. I put on a wallpaper from zedge. It's mostly black so I thought it would actually help. I've changed it back so we'll see how that works out

Then the result.
    I done some research and it turns out that this is the problem. The wallpaper I was using was stored on my SD Card and my phone was constantly trying to access it, even when not in use, thus draining the battery. This has been confirmed by the fact that when I changed back to the original pics my battery usage has improved dramatically. I also downsized the file size which also benefited.

I found this online and I can back up the theory.

Look at the attached photo and notice how even when on charge earlier it was still draining more than the phone could charge, and this still going down. All because my wallpaper was on my external memory card and on the large size.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/157957/255110.png

Hopefully this helps some people.

Advertisement