Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 Open or Closed?

• 13-10-2004 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The section between Cahir and Tipp was closed last week, anyone know if its back open?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its open (just in case you wuz wondering like).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Does anyone know where I could find any plans for this new bridge, I think it would be interesting to see what it will look like.

Also is this bypass the only section of the N25 to be duel out side of Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It'll be a cable-stayed design similar to the M1 Boyne Bridge.

It will indeed be the only dual carriageway scheme on the N25 outside Co Cork unless Wexford Co Co get their way and the stretch from Wexford to Rosslare is included.

The bridge will be 475 metres long which I imagine will be the longest in the country.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Sameoldname

The pic of the bridge is in this link.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?id=18100&what=1&issue=299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

murphaph wrote:
    It'll be a cable-stayed design similar to the M1 Boyne Bridge.

It will indeed be the only dual carriageway scheme on the N25 outside Co Cork unless Wexford Co Co get their way and the stretch from Wexford to Rosslare is included.

why on earth would Wexford-Rosslare need dual carriageway? It is one of the quietest sections of N road in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Maybe they want to impress people driving off the ferry...

John R wrote:
    why on earth would Wexford-Rosslare need dual carriageway? It is one of the quietest sections of N road in the country.
    I guess it's considered strategic as it's E01 and all that. Ferry ports mean HGVs and the consequent impatient overtaking etc., so I can see a good case for some form of upgrade, as for whether or not that should be HQDC, well I suppose it could be viable if the economy/population continue to grow. There are a number of towns that will need bypassing on that stretch so if you're greenfield bypassing a town there is a case to go that bit extra and make it DC capable at least, even if full grade separation isn't included at the outset. Looking at the N20 where it's single carriageway passing Blarney, you can clearly see they left enough room to dual it, which was sensible and should be considered for any further E01 upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Wexford CC have actually said they want DC from where the Gorey bypass ends to Rosslare

....and they appear to be putting at least some of their money where there mouth is by funding design of the Enniscorthy bypass. I wonder have they requested Tramore House (who I presume will be designing it) to make sure it's DC capable if not DC from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New Ross will have the longest bridge in Ireland, apparently over 1km.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PoolDude wrote:
    New Ross will have the longest bridge in Ireland, apparently over 1km.
    Apparently Kilkenny will have them both. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Does anyone (maybe someone from waterford) have any idea if they have already done some work on a link road from tramore to the new bypass??

There is no link road from Tramore, there is a link road well under way from the Waterford Outer ring road to the bypass

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    There is no link road from Tramore, there is a link road well under way from the Waterford Outer ring road to the bypass

Mike.

Thanks mike, I heard that there was a DC built south of the current N25 and wondered if they were upgrading the road to Tramore.

nordydan wrote:
    Thanks mike, I heard that there was a DC built south of the current N25 and wondered if they were upgrading the road to Tramore.
    That's the Waterford Outer Ring Road. I posted pics of it on SABRE. Pretty good road but a lot of roundabouts to negotiate.

murphaph wrote:
    That's the Waterford Outer Ring Road. I posted pics of it on SABRE. Pretty good road but a lot of roundabouts to negotiate.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=24&pos=40

Right this is it, how long is it and does it provide a link from Tramore to the new bypass? Its not on autoroute so i have no info about it!

nordydan wrote:
    http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=24&pos=40

Right this is it, how long is it and does it provide a link from Tramore to the new bypass? Its not on autoroute so i have no info about it!

It goes right around the south of the city from the existing N25 to the Dunmore(?) road. The link road from the end of this ring road to the new bypass is underway as Mike says. This road is little use until the new bypass is built unless you're a local. I only used it because I was at a wedding in Kilmeaden and the reception was in Cheekpoint.

Is that DC all the way to the dunmore east road then?

• Advertisement

I presume, I have'nt stopped to realy look at the design of the road from the by-pass but its only logical to be a DC.

Checked out the link road today and its a Dual Cabbageway.

Mike.

nordydan wrote:
    Is that DC all the way to the dunmore east road then?
    No, it returns to S2 before the Dunmore road. Not much of it though, it's nearly all D2.

I forget the final (but first built) bit which is of course the busiest section!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

John R wrote:

It does have peaks in traffic, but I think Wexford CC (and by that I mean the planners/engineers) would like to do the job properly now. A new alignment is needed because of the villages it passes through (and the number of one off's on the road-side). In another 20/25 years, it would be even more difficult to get the land together for a dual carriageway.

BTW They should really do something about the Drinagh Roundabout, HGVs overturning are a regular enough feature of the People/Echo Papers ok -once a year or so)

Victor wrote:
    Apparently Kilkenny will have them both. ;)

So the NRA are planning escape routes from Kilkenny now :)

If it is the longest bridge, I wonder who will try to lay claim to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

The pikemen are in training..

Advertisement