Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Car Radio

• 30-12-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for someone to point me in the right direction for a new radio for my car, a 07 Passat. I do a lot of driving so I've decided to splash out on a good radio system for the car.

I'm looking for something which will easily integrate with my phone, currently running Android but with the possibility of switching to iOS in the future. I've been looking at some of the Android based systems and they look good. I don't currently have reversing cameras but am looking at getting these fitted to so a system that supports these would be ideal.

Some must haves:
    Bluetooth
    SD Card / microSD
    Reversing Camera functionality
    3G
    GPS

I've had a look at the one's on http://www.andrive.co.uk/android_vw.php and they look pretty good, maybe over kill though (freeview tv etc.) so any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this not essentially ebay chinese stuff?

Can be hit or miss in terms of quality, sound etc.
    they say OEM but I'm not certain that they are.

Not sure about that specific one, but I'd probably look at an OE stereo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Much good! 1W in low power cabbage. 3000W noise output very music. Wow.
    Etc etc.

I'd want to see some decent long term reviews before handing over more than 50 euro for any China engineered electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Pioneers new app radio might be worth a look, I was looking at one in halfords a few weeks and it'd have most of what your looking for and rock solid reliability behind it too.

I've had and seen a good few if those Chinese jobbies and they all turned out to be rubbish..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Having owned an Appradio for about 2-3years, I would say do your homework before buying an Appradio, Pioneer's support is terrible and everyone using an AppRadio2/3 is pretty pissed off on all the appradio forums/groups, lack of updates, bugs that are open months.
    If you are using an Android device look into AppRadio Unchained reloaded which is pretty much the only useful way to use an app radio with an android phone, just take note that you will need to have your phone rooted for it to work.
    Pioneers new app radio might be worth a look, I was looking at one in halfords a few weeks and it'd have most of what your looking for and rock solid reliability behind it too.

I've had and seen a good few if those Chinese jobbies and they all turned out to be rubbish..
    I've never heard them two terms used together in the one sentence before
    Have a read through AVIC or ARWorld and see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

http://www.icar-tech.de/shop/index.php?route=common/home

im looking for same myself and there's very little out there, came across icar tech but little info out there on what their like
    never impressed with pioneer alpine offerings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

also came across this where someone fits a nexus 7 to a mazda:
    http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/320306-nexus-7-2013-tablet-2009-mazda6.html

problem for me here would be:
    no fm
    is there going to be glare on the screen

suggestions also of fitting a tablet with FM tuner
    Digiland 7" Quad-Core Tablet
    http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/320306-nexus-7-2013-tablet-2009-mazda6-3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭tipperary

Got one of Parrot Asteroid Smart a few months ago and very happy with it. Have it rooted and play store added. Might be worth looking into OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

thats for all the help guys. i like the look of the Asteroid Smart, going to do some more research into that.

thanks everyone

Hey guys,

Months later I've finally made a decision on this, going with the Parrot Asteroid Smart system! Found a place in Clondalkin who sell and install, €700 altogether!!

Pricey but feel like the system is an investment for me so don't mind to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

in-car technology Galway - google for contact number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I subscribed eons ago to the mailing list for Android Auto - http://www.android.com/auto/

And great news!!!

Actually no bloody news at all. So far its a dismal failure to capitalise on peoples hopes.
    Also they seem to only be aiming for the OEM market, and touchscreen interfaces are going to suck for those of us righties who are far from ambidextrous.

Got the Asteroid installed yesterday by Sound Decision in Clondalking. Haven't had time to really play with it but so far so good!

I plan on rooting it later today to fully play around with it, but from what i've tried so far it was worth the investment. Sound quality is great, hooks up to my Galaxy & iPhone very easily and quickly. I've tried a o2 3G dongle and that worked really well, picks it up straight away.

Very highly recommended so far, I'll come back once I have had a proper play with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the unit on it's own

cletus wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, how much is the unit on it's own

Unit brand new is €549 direct from the Parrot website.

SoundDecision were charging me €700 to buy and install but did me a deal on the display model they had, so i got the whole lot for €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Parrot have a new one coming out which is the dog's cahones. Far better than the Asteroid

• Registered Users Posts: 35 meduza

Its a pretty good idea to have an Android running on your headunit

Advertisement