Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venice!

• 27-08-2011 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Was in Venice for a few days this week and since I took a few snaps thought I'd share some of them with ye.

First up, some genuine Gondolas on the Grand canal. I think they were €80 plus a trip, too expensive IMV.

P1030249.jpg

A view of the Grand Canal from Rialto bridge. This view is looking what I consider down the canal towards St. Marks which you cannot see from the bridge.

P1030239.jpg

And the other way towards the bus station...

P1030243.jpg

Some treats for those with a sweet tooth.

P1030238.jpg

No running away from your gambling debts in this place :D

P1030255.jpg

More to come...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

St. Marks Basilica.

P1030257.jpg

The Campanile (bell tower) in St. Marks Square. You can travel to the top by elevator and stay as long as you like for €8 or €9 per person, it's well worth it for the views.

P1030258.jpg

The Doge's Palace and some of St. Marks Basin seen from the Campanile.

P1030267.jpg

St. Marks Basilica seen from the Campanile.

P1030268.jpg

The island of San Giorgio Maggiore, well worth visiting.

P1030278.jpg

More to come...

One of the many bells in the Campanile.

P1030311.jpg

Pretty and typical small canal.

P1030329.jpg

This is the island of Cimitero di San Michele, Venice' cemetery. It's a quiet spot away from the maddening crowds, but extremely hot if it's in the mid thirties like last week.

P1030334.jpg

This is the most invaluable thing you'll use in Venice. It's a Vaporetto, or water bus. Quite honestly we found maps of the city pure useless. But, buy a Vaporetto ticket for the duration of your stay. If you get lost, just find a Vaporetto stop, any will do, and jump on to explore somewhere else.

P1030346.jpg

The Bridge of sighs, whored out to L'Oreal... It's worth more than that!

P1030359.jpg

More to come...

Love this house.

P1030368.jpg

Scene from the Island of Murano, famous for it's glass. Watch out, most places are selling fake crap made in whichever cheap labour country you like.

P1030388.jpg

My saviour, and no, I don't care where the water came from, it was cold and cooled me down in the mid 30's heat.

P1030396.jpg

Tower and glass artwork on Murano.

P1030402.jpg

Rialto bridge at night.

P1030739.jpg

More to come...

The best place (quality & affordable!) to eat we could find, at Fondamente Nove Vaporetto stop.

P1030445.jpg

Bridge over canal on Burano.

P1030524.jpg

Burano again.

P1030526.jpg

Can't argue with this.

P1030534.jpg

Little boat workshop (in all senses) near Fondamente Nove.

P1030672.jpg

More to come...

Water taxi's, the vaporettos are sooooooooooo much cheaper.

P1030678.jpg

Traghetto (spelling) stop. these are little boats that cross the Grand canal, there isn't always a bridge near by.

P1030781.jpg

Inside the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore.

P1030832.jpg

View from the Campanile of the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore.

P1030867.jpg

Just so very nommmmmmmmmmm @ Fondamente Nove.

P1030903.jpg

More to come...

• Advertisement

Ambulance in a hurry, the only time I got wet outside of the shower!

P1040071.jpg

Home again, catch ya next time Micko!

P1040106.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

stunning pics wouldn't say they were taken on any old point and click camera

tsoparno wrote: »
    stunning pics wouldn't say they were taken on any old point and click camera

Actually....

It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS25 set on auto :D

Great little camera though, stuffed a big 8g memory card inside too!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

they really came out well.is it true the water over there is only stink:D

tsoparno wrote: »
    they really came out well.is it true the water over there is only stink:D

Well, I wouldn't get wet from the Lagoon/Canal on purpose to be honest. I didn't see any floaters :D but I wouldn't trust it.

That said, we didn't find the stories about Venice being smelly to be at all true. There's the odd whiff, but in mid thirties heat you'd get that a in a lot of places that are packed to the gills with sweaty tourists :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Cool pics!

Some video of the music in St Marks Square at night. There are four or five bands playing around the square. But, check the menu's if you intend to sit down, or maybe that should be sit down before you check the menu's :D

Another video to come but they take an age to upload.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some fantastic pictures there John. Seems you had a great time. Especially like the one at night. Quick question, were any of the nationals looking at the funny Irish man taking photos of his dinner? :D

Seriously good stuff, and great bulletin point info. Well done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Not that I noticed Ez, I was much too busy stuffing my face afterwards :D

Some video from the Campanile of the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore.

th_P1030881.jpg

More video to come, take an age to upload mind.

From the other side of the Campanile.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Thanks for those fab photos. Want to go back now. Only went in winter and it was completely different. Quieter obviously, and atmospheric and a bit spooky. You get a different flavour altogether. Must visit in some sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Great photos, well done lad, it is the most wonderful city to visit, in all the world !
    Every time I go, I am gob-smacked at how much better it is than the brochures or postcards. Definitely a place everyone should visit at least twice !

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Great pics!

I'm thinking about going to Venice next month. How many days would you recommend? Also, is it baby friendly? As in I'll be travelling solo with a 7 month old with the buggy. I was wondering if the city will be an obstacle course with a buggy.

Thanks

chirogirl wrote: »
    Great pics!

I'm thinking about going to Venice next month. How many days would you recommend? Also, is it baby friendly? As in I'll be travelling solo with a 7 month old with the buggy. I was wondering if the city will be an obstacle course with a buggy.

Thanks

Hi, sorry, just seen this now. Biggest problem I can see for you is that there are lots of bridges over the canals that have steps on them! They might be a problem with the buggy. Getting on and off the vaporettos should be OK. It can get crowded too in the more regular tourist haunts, narrow streets and alleyways. But we were there in August, so it may not be as busy next month as then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Great pics, im heading there for a week in may, cant wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i haven't been since 2005 and really want to go back, as i only went down from trento for the day. it needs a proper holiday all of its own to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Great photos, thanks! :)

hdowney wrote: »
    i haven't been since 2005 and really want to go back, as i only went down from trento for the day. it needs a proper holiday all of its own to be fair

Hehe just reading back over this now and I copped my comment. I can now say that I AM going for a proper weeks holiday in October and i canni wait. I pray to whomever that a, the scaffolding is off St. Marks and b, that hideous crap on the bridge has been taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

hdowney wrote: »
    Hehe just reading back over this now and I copped my comment. I can now say that I AM going for a proper weeks holiday in October and i canni wait. I pray to whomever that a, the scaffolding is off St. Marks and b, that hideous crap on the bridge has been taken down

Was in Italy recently and spent a few hours in venice, didnt see bridge of sighs but Rialto bridge is class.
    We had a hire car and the multi storey that you arrive at in venice was a bit wierd, guy on the way in tells you what level to go to, and the lad on that level wanted me to leave the keys in it, said no f'in way so he made us park on the top level, which is open air, on the roof. He said its in case of fire which sounded dubious. If a car went on fire do they really drive it out of there to save the ones around it?? The lads working there looked dodgy so i'd say it was more so they could rifle through your stuff.
    There is an open car / public car park near there thats metered which could be cheaper, you could get a space there if you waited around.
    Also water taxi that takes you to st marks square isnt a necessity, water taxi that the locals take is way cheaper.
    Walked back to the car park later on, on the way found a savage wee shop that makes all things chocolate and near there a pictures shop, place is jammed with stuff, price for a small memento was reasonable and he wrapped it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Miss Money Penny

Looks great, stopping there on our honeymoon cruise in August! Pics are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

johngalway wrote: »
    Love this house.

P1030368.jpg

Scene from the Island of Murano, famous for it's glass. Watch out, most places are selling fake crap made in whichever cheap labour country you like.

P1030388.jpg

My saviour, and no, I don't care where the water came from, it was cold and cooled me down in the mid 30's heat.

P1030396.jpg

Tower and glass artwork on Murano.

P1030402.jpg

Rialto bridge at night.

P1030739.jpg

More to come...

hey john, your pics are fab :)

was looking up flights there to venice and i seen return for 131 for a week for 2ppl in october! cant seem to find and decent hotels though? where would you reccomend? or do you have to stay a bit out and get a bus in to the actual city some were really expensive :confused:
    overall all was it pretty expensive??

We were the same, flights came in around 350 for the last week in october, but we were hitting a grand for a middle of the road to budget accom for that week, tis still high season over there. We decided that we'd save a bit longer and go to Venice next June when we could put down a bit more money on somewhere a bit nicer. For Oct we are going to Paris, nice apt for 630 for the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

#hdowney
    yeah flights seem good but accom seems way to expensive! oh well it was just a thought when i seen flights were so cheap!.. thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

As per earlier poster, heading to Italy (Venice for only 2nights) in late September. Flights booked and just starting the basic research for accomodation. Any advice on areas to rule in (or out), actual hotels or guesthouses, restaurants, more 'must see' etc. Thanks OP for photos to whet the appetite.

ASBO

Advertisement