Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio books

• 15-02-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

While I can see their appeal, I really dislike audio books. I just find them really difficult to engage with and can't help but allow my mind to wander when they're playing. I tried to listen to Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" about a year ago and gave after 30 minutes, zoning in and out so frequently I had no idea what was going on. I'm reading it now (in good old paperback format) and I think it's great.

The only audio book I enjoyed was Alan Partridge's "biography" but I think that's because Steve Coogan read it as Partridge. Also, I wasn't interested in it enough to actually sit down with the book.

What are other users feelings about - and experiences of - audio books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

I have never listened to an audio book myself and, I dont know, I just find the whole idea weird. I don't think I would like it to be honest. I should give it a go, who knows, I might be happily surprised (I don't think so really).

My main concern is what you've already touched on: I feel that my mind would wander off and that I woe not know what's going on.

When do people listen to those? While out running/walking, driving the car or like a book i.e. not doing anything else at the same time. I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I love a good audio book when I have a long journey to do in the car. I have listened to many a book over the years. Occasionally the voice of the reader is just too irritating and I have to turn it off. :(
    I like re-reading books, and similarly I like to listen to books that I have already read. A good example is the Harry Potter books, I really enjoyed those. Nice light, easy listening... Couldn't follow a really detailed book by an author I haven't read before, the car is not the best place for that for me anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think they can be good provided they're done well. I listened to the likes of The Road and Shutter Island, found them very engaging. Haven't listened to any in a while and of course, when I was young it was cassette tapes from the library. Don't get that now, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I got into podcasts a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd love audiobooks. I was thinking of sticking with very light reads, but I found even them difficult to concentrate on.

Maybe if I was doing a lot of long-distance travelling. Otherwise, I don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I got into podcasts a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd love audiobooks. I was thinking of sticking with very light reads, but I found even them difficult to concentrate on.

Maybe if I was doing a lot of long-distance travelling. Otherwise, I don't like them.

Yea, I expected audio books to be like podcasts too! I really enjoy the BBC's documentary series but I've never found an audio book that can live up to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Some of the readers are just damn irritating.
    I can't listen to the Game of Thrones for example, thankfully I listened to a sample before purchase.
    Penn's book was read by himself, and was great. Also Bill Bryson's A Short History of Almost Everything too. They're the only two I've so far liked to voice enough to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I adore audio books. I wouldnt get any non college reading done without them. I probably run through about 3/4 audible credits a month.

I tend to use them while commuting mainly but tend to mix it when doing something else.

I've run through most of the Game of Thrones Series (Got really dull around book 4).

The Dresden file series is read by James Masters (Spike from Buffy). A perfect example of a good author & good reader

Bill Bryons set is execellent.

Maybe it's a subject/voice issue?

Try a few non fiction books if you want. Non ficition can be a bit difficult to listen to in the begining in my experience. I have had to dial back infrequently if i missed something but not too often.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I never seen the appeal of audio books but a coupe of years ago had eye surgery so downloaded a few from 'audible' and found them enjoyable, since I couldn't see so couldn't read.
    I don't think I could listen to anything too complex or 'heavy' though.
    My only problem was that I'd fall asleep and wake up the next morning with no idea of where I'd gotten to in the book and take ages to find it again. At least if I fall asleep reading a 'real' book it's easier to retrace my steps! :o

I think they're great for long journeys too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Posy wrote: »
    I don't think I could listen to anything too complex or 'heavy' though.
    My only problem was that I'd fall asleep and wake up the next morning with no idea of where I'd gotten to in the book and take ages to find it again. At least if I fall asleep reading a 'real' book it's easier to retrace my steps! :o

Set your ipod (or whatever) on a 15 minute sleep clock. If you are still awake then set it again. If & when you fall asleep you know you are within a 15 min window at max...much much easier to find where you are.

.. I used to have the exact same problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've done audio books now for close to 7 years (and 3 MP3 players :P ) and I'd hate to go with out them. As others have noted I can't do heavy thinking stuff (tried some Dala Lama books but I needed far to much brain activity for that to work as casual listening book) but "normal" stuff such as Game of Thrones, dective stuff and also lesson based stuff goes easily enough.

Personally I'm someone who's in multiple books at the time; hence I got 1 book in my MP3 player (when I'm out walking/commuting), 1 book in my car (CD based) and then a couple paper books when I'm at home/travelling (I'm usually in 2 to 4 paper books in parallel at any given time). I've used it to get back up to speed again on something I've already read (for example did the whole Game of Thrones series as audio book before reading the latest one) or for books I'd never read in paper (Harry Potter series come to mind, I was close on giving up on that one quite a few times as a audio book).

Many people listen to music to shut out background noise; me I listen to books instead.

• Advertisement

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Yea, I expected audio books to be like podcasts too! I really enjoy the BBC's documentary series but I've never found an audio book that can live up to them

Ooh. Must check them out so.

Agent J wrote: »
    Set your ipod (or whatever) on a 15 minute sleep clock. If you are still awake then set it again. If & when you fall asleep you know you are within a 15 min window at max...much much easier to find where you are.

.. I used to have the exact same problem.
    You are a GENIUS. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 birdfeet

I like to listen audio book when I was doing my housework. For I find that I have fewer and fewer time sitting and reading books, after I have baby. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I love the idea of a good audio book in CD format for a long drive I have to take every week, especially like to get a good Stephen King or Roald Dahl, but I can never seem to find a good one anymore at a cheap/reasonable price

Anyone know where cheap audio book cd’s can be bought online?

Also, what are the good sites for cheap downloads of audio books?

Ooh. Must check them out so.

Do, they're brilliant. I listen to the BBC's World Service Documentary Archive via iTunes. They're free and there are hundreds of them. Enjoy!

Black Oil wrote: »
    I think they can be good provided they're done well. I listened to the likes of The Road and Shutter Island, found them very engaging. Haven't listened to any in a while and of course, when I was young it was cassette tapes from the library. Don't get that now, eh?

I read The Road in paperback and really enjoyed it. Aside from the narrative, I thought that McCarthy's unusual syntax was brilliant. Could you pick that up from the audio book?

Do, they're brilliant. I listen to the BBC's World Service Documentary Archive via iTunes. They're free and there are hundreds of them. Enjoy!

I've already subscribed to them. Some of the topics look great, and the one on Syria I've listened to was great: very professional and very interesting. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Audiobooks? I'm in two minds to be honest. I have the Count of Monte Cristo, purchased from iTunes (here). It was only £2.99 when I bought it (57 hours of audio :D). The narrator is excellent and it's very enjoyable to read.

My boss downloaded Catch22 from Audible and again the narrator was great and really brought the book to life (I had read the paperback).

However, I also downloaded all of the John la Carré giveaways from the Guardian and I can't get into them at all, I find the narrator really boring and my mind keeps drifting away to other things.

So for me I thnk they are a risk and you really, really have to listen to a preview first before going ahead.

There are loads of librivox audiobooks available that are completely free (mostly classics). They are hit and miss because they are amateur readers but they can be fantastic.

I have 'Audiobooks' as an App on my iPad (available on iPhone too) and there's plenty of free choices there. I'm currently listening to the 911 Commission report on that app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is an iPad not a bit heavy to hold for listening, what's the Sept 11 report like, btw?

Would add to the recommendations for the BBC World Service documentaries, some great stuff on there.

I was going to get Mark Kermode's audiobook, but it's dearer than the paperback. Coming back to The Road, I'm afraid it's 3 or more years since I listened to it and I was unfamiliar with any of McCarthy's work before that, I can't really comment on the syntax, wilkie2006. I did get pretty sucked in by the audio version, though.

Black Oil wrote: »
    Is an iPad not a bit heavy to hold for listening, what's the Sept 11 report like, btw?

I listen to my books in the car so I plug the iPad into the car stereo and listen :) Also when I'm travelling for work I bring my iPad for taking notes and typing up reports so the iPad is handy for listening to books as I type :). Unfortunately my work BlackBerry has a tiny amount of memory and I'm not allowed to store audiobooks on it.

The 911 Commission report I have on Audio is 'okay', it switches narrators and there's one woman who narrates whose voice grates on me. Thankfully I also have a PDF of this book so might actually switch to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nevore wrote: »
    Some of the readers are just damn irritating.
    I can't listen to the Game of Thrones for example, thankfully I listened to a sample before purchase.
    No way!

Did you listen the American narrated version? I have the Roy Dotrice (English Shakespearian guy) versions and thought they were phenomenal. Even the other English guy who did A Feast For Crows was great, I thought.

This might sound terrible, but I can't listen to an audiobook read by an American. :o
    I really tried a couple of books but it just got on my wick.

Dades wrote: »
    This might sound terrible, but I can't listen to an audiobook read by an American. :o
    I really tried a couple of books but it just got on my wick.
    I thought it was essential for Catch 22! :) Can't imagine a rich, cultured British timbre making the book as 'authentic'. :)

Unless it was Hugh Laurie using his 'House' accent :D

Hey,

If anyone's interested, The Guardian's giving away a free copy of Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close".

I've started a thread in the bargain forum with details on how to download...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056559521

Are these just on the iTunes store?
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    I thought it was essential for Catch 22! :) Can't imagine a rich, cultured British timbre making the book as 'authentic'. :)

Unless it was Hugh Laurie using his 'House' accent :D
    I think English books should be read by someone English and American books by an American. 'The Catcher in the Rye' or 'The Great Gatsby' for example would need to be read by Americans imho.

Posy wrote: »
    Are these just on the iTunes store?

Nope. Just found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/docarchive

(Although if you're in Ireland you might have a problem accessing them - I'm in London so I don't know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Grover16

avatar5.jpgI think they can be good provided they're done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I love audio books. Have a 45 - hour long commute so I go through a book and a half each week and dont know how id manage the commute without them. You can pick them up in the library too.
    As for the narrator they can be a little annoying to begin with but once your 40 minutes into a story itd have to be a very poor one for me to even notice the narrator.

For a second there I thought you said you had a 45 hour commute. :o I take it libraries have them on CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah all the libraries have them on cd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Just noticed this thread while looking for opinions on Audible.com.

I've enjoyed lots of audio books and have benefitted from the selection on offer for free to members from South Dublin Libraries.

http://digitallibrary.southdublin.ie/658A3DC1-670F-46A3-A594-D63F063C4F78/10/457/en/Default.htm

It might be an idea to check the libraries in your area, they may well offer free Audio and e-books which you can read on your phone, ipad, laptop etc.

I listen while commuting and particularly enjoy the experience while running.

Advertisement