Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Artane14

Just rang Aldi and got a number in UK to phone for more wool to finish my Benjamin Bear Kit. Lovely lady is posting another ball out to me tomorrow. Mod SNIP - Please PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

That sounds like great customer service, good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I took up knitting again a couple of years ago after a 20+ plus year absence. Had to get all new needles as a lot of my knitting stuff disappeared over the years. Got a complete set of bamboo needles - single/double pointed and circulars all from eBay for next to nothing. eBay is most definitely my friend!!

Anyway - here's a few pix of some of my projects, which I hope you'll like! :)
    [IMG][/img]P1000573_zpsd1bbe78e.jpg

One of the baby blankets I made for an expectant friend.

This is another one I made for the same friend.

[IMG][/img]P1000571_zps71f0b787.jpg

And this is the matinee jacket I made. It's the first item I've made for a baby, so I'm quite pleased, but always room for improvement I think! ;)

Sorry - This is the matinee jacket I made..

[IMG][/img]P1000566_zps2b514260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Yikes!
    Nearly finished a very challanging knitting project and have cracked my bamboo 2.5mm circular needle!
    Getting bamboo splinters in my knitting! And afraid it will break in half shortly!
    :mad::eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Oh no! Can you bind the needle temporarily with sewing thread?

Oh no! Can you bind the needle temporarily with sewing thread?

Not sure might try sticky tape. How would you bind with sewing thread? Just wrap it round a few times?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Yes, with the end well knotted (or a dab of nail varnish if you can avoid dabbing the wool!)

Bloody hate that! I've done a 3.25m needle trying to answer the mobile and the dog broke my 3mm needles!! :mad:

Never mind - replacements cheap enough on eBay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AMS2010

Hi there,
    I'm trying to source the wool mentioned above. It was released around 2005, and I'd love to use it again.
    The shade code is 03006 and the lot number (although I realise that might be a stretch too far!) is 15F5.

Does anyone know of a good place to try for discontinued yarns?
    Or is there any chance that you'd have a few balls in your stash that you'd be willing to part with (for a reasonable cost obviously)?

Yours in anticipation...

• Advertisement

Has anyone made the sirdar ella pattern 9778? I'm doing it in black and white and don't want to use the white contrast through the pattern = only on the edges. Will this mess up the pattern? Am going to do a tension swatch to see but feed back would be good. thanks

Could you put up a pic?

Alternatively, you can contact Sirdar direct. They're very good at coming back, and I've got some useful advice from them. The CS no./e-mail is usually on the pattern.

As you can see, the picture doesn't help too much!
    http://www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/womens/jackets/9778

Yes, with the end well knotted (or a dab of nail varnish if you can avoid dabbing the wool!)

Am working on this project over on www.Ravelry.com

Am desperate to get finished! Spent a year on it had to frogg about 5" over the last week. As I'm not happy with my sleeve length raglan or neckline.

Going to try and adjust the neckline to a V neck! Could do with a super knitter round Galway to assist and advise me!

Nail polish got me thinking....
    Its just a small crack on one side of the needle, might just try nail polish over the top of it, might keep it smooth and reduce drag on my stitches.

Thanks
    KP
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Milly1985

Need to know the colour of the wool, as I have ran out & I want to finish it off as I want to raffle if off for a Childern's Hopital.

AMS2010 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to source the wool mentioned above. It was released around 2005, and I'd love to use it again.
    The shade code is 03006 and the lot number (although I realise that might be a stretch too far!) is 15F5.

Does anyone know of a good place to try for discontinued yarns?
    Or is there any chance that you'd have a few balls in your stash that you'd be willing to part with (for a reasonable cost obviously)?

Yours in anticipation...

Have you contacted Patons direct? They might have a few balls knocking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Milly1985

Thank You. I rang Aldi & they are sending me out some

I finally figured out the patter and its really nice, will use the white contrast. I was originally making suck a bags of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucyloo

I am relatively new to knitting found a wool heaven in citywest shopping centre they are very helpful name of the shop is aimee rose they have a Facebook page every yarn imaginable well worth a visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry - This is the matinee jacket I made..

[IMG][/img]P1000566_zps2b514260.jpg

Any link for the needless from Ebay?
    Are the circulars smooth to use.

• Advertisement

Just do a search on eBay. Loads of knitting accessory suppliers - most are in the UK, and some are Chinese. I use bamboo circulars which are great to use. Nice and light. I got all mine from a very good supplier in China. He was cheap and the postage was free (although slow!!). However, the needles did need to be aired first as they were a bit smelly from the chemicals! Deramores also sell bamboo needles and have an eBay shop.

If you want the particular seller I used, drop me a PM.

I did the same with a collection of crochet hooks, went down a storm with the person who they were a gift for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucyloo

Aimee rose in citywest sell circular bamboo needles for €3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can direct me to a (cheap) source of coned 4ply yarn (wool/acrylic/cotton don't mind).
    I need cheap wool to practice machine knitting and for waste yarn, winding balls of 4ply is getting really tiresome.
    I can get 500grm cones from the uk, for about 10 euros each but the shipping is so expensive and I'd prefer to buy locally if possible. I can use parcel motel if the shipping to Northern Ireland isn't too bad but most of the companies I've looked at charge a premium to send to the North.
    I've picked some wool up on the web but I'd like to be able to choose my own colours.
    Please can anyone help?

Where are you, I might have some extra?

MAybe we could do swaps for other materials!

Send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

woo-hoo found it! Springwools in Dublin do them.. No idea about price yet but they're going to email me on a list and they mail order over the phone.. I wish it had been on their website.

Ah, thats the place I was thinking of. I dont know Dublin that well. They were great to deal with when we bought there.

I just looked at my sponge bar and its knackered! So anyone know where I can get one?

Knitmaster 321

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Ah, thats the place I was thinking of. I dont know Dublin that well. They were great to deal with when we bought there.

I just looked at my sponge bar and its knackered! So anyone know where I can get one?

Knitmaster 321

there's a knitting machine repair man in Shannon co clare who has a stock of sponge bars, or at least he had a year ago when I was last out to him, if you want a contact number pm me,
    othrewise it's quite likely the UK you're looking at, and maybe you are going over there on hols?
    liz

Just looking for some advice...

I'm making a baby bolero. The rib is 1x1 (i.e. k1, p1 rib), which I think looks a bit boring. Was thinking I'd substitute for either a moss stitch or garter stitch border.

What do you think? :D

• Advertisement

Whats the body? Stockinette Stitch?

If I dont need too much fitting for the rib, I usually do garter for baby clothes and then Stockinette Stitch for the main body.

Advertisement