Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Cardboard Kits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Really interested in giving this a go, I was only thinking a few months back that it would be cool to watch Oculus Rift VR videos on youtube with the 2 screens by using my phone and 2 lenses.

My Moto G is partially supported too!

The original Moto G is out as it doesn't have a gyroscope to support headtracking:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/29wvrb/can_i_use_google_cardboard_on_my_moto_g/

The 4G version *may* work with it as it has a gryoscope, but the magnet is still not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Funnily enough came across this:

http://www.unofficialcardboard.com/

this morning. For those of us who are curious but not allowed to use scissors.

Funnily enough came across this:

http://www.unofficialcardboard.com/

this morning. For those of us who are curious but not allowed to use scissors.

10% off both the Assembled version and Unassembled kit with the following code:

cheapskate10%off

Both are selling for $29.99 excluding shipping, I wonder if its a mistake as surely the kit version would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

are the cardboard boxes from unofficialcardboard.com any good? did any order those and have experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You may have heard of Google Cardboard but most of us can't source the lenses. It's possbile that this crowd might have the answer:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wantcardboard-google-cardboard-kits
    Looking like that Indiegogo is a scam, I got Mastercard to do a chargeback and ordered a €10 version from Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Opps only remembered this now - I got one from the lads I linked too and its great, the lenses were dusty when I got it (from the card board), were grand after I popped them out and gave the a quick polish though. Assembly was a doodle and it works great with a Nexus 5 and SG4 that I've had to hand to try out.
    If you have a spare €20 or what ever it is, there are worse ways to spend it. The quality of the thing is grand, just not really touched after a day or two of messing around is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Thargor wrote: »
    Looking like that Indiegogo is a scam, I got Mastercard to do a chargeback and ordered a €10 version from Ebay.

Yeah I had ordered one and forgot about it. Just finding out now that it was a scam. I'm really sorry for posting the link now. I've backed plenty of other projects before but never got scammed. I hope I can get my money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I bought off the indiegogo scammers using my visa debit card. Is there any way of getting my money back?

Contact your bank and ask, I had to print out a couple of emails asking for my money back (AIB lady told me to) and send them by snailmail to a PO Box in Sandyford with a cover letter explaining the situation, she said Ill probably get it refunded to my CC in a few weeks, pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm curious as to how this was a scam?

The link shows that it raised 34% of it's £13,000 goal, so the project wasn't funded fully, but these guys/gals got your money somehow?

Are they able to accept money for the project if it hasn't reached it's goal?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions :)

Yep, as it says on the page, they'll sell whatever kits people pay for no matter how much they raise, think its an option to do that when you're setting up a campaign, Indiegogo just hold the money like an escrow service and release it when the times up, feel sorry for the people who backed the £100 kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Yep, as it says on the page, they'll sell whatever kits people pay for no matter how much they raise, think its an option to do that when you're setting up a campaign, Indiegogo just hold the money like an escrow service and release it when the times up, feel sorry for the people who backed the £100 kits.

Just looking at their twitter now and as of last week they were saying that some are still to be delivered. How are we sure it's a scam?

Have a read of the comments on the campaign, instant replies when they were sucking people in for weeks while the campaign was running then the minute the campaign ends no updates, no replies for 2 weeks on Twitter or there even though every single comment is now calling them scammers:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wantcardboard-google-cardboard-kits#comments

Comments like this are very telling:

Ok, this is obvously a scam. Take a look at the way the webmaster wrote cut laser cut (see cache:http://wantcardboard.com)

There are spaces between each word ! And the link to the website ishttp://cutlastercut.com (laster instead of laser). The scammer did this to avoid legal problems with them. We want our money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Finally ordered a kit from here - TinyDeal, for just €3.55 delivered!

Ah crap I paid a tenner for the exact same kit! Still no sign of a chargeback to my CC either.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

MoodeRator wrote: »

how long you expecting delivery to take?

I ordered from Elecfreaks a month ago for €10 but still in processing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I paid 30 for 2 with FedEx delivery from somewhere in China. I think the delivery was 21 :/

I wonder how the resin lenses compare to the fancy laser cut glass ones.

blocparty wrote: »
    how long you expecting delivery to take?

I ordered from Elecfreaks a month ago for €10 but still in processing :mad:

From previous experience with TinyDeal I expect to receive this kit in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Just received a nice little update to this! TinyDeal emailed me to offer this handy little MicroSD card for use with the Cardboard kit

"Can be used for Google Cardboard, it includes 3D Movie Torrents, 3D Game APPS, Cardboard APP etc. With this wonderful micro SD card, you can enjoy the 3D virtual world freely."

PLUS- 40% OFF Coupon: 0p2l1N38Xr (do not know if this code is unique)
    :D

From previous experience with TinyDeal I expect to receive this kit in 3 weeks.

the race is on then! im 5 weeks in to my wait and it still says processing :eek:

Well somethings obviously gone wrong, should have emailed them at the end of week 3...

Although I'm coming up on week 3 for my Ebay one myself with no sign of it yet.

Well somethings obviously gone wrong, should have emailed them at the end of week 3...

Although I'm coming up on week 3 for my Ebay one myself with no sign of it yet.

elecfreaks are notoriously slow, chatting with a guy on twitter and we joked that we will be playing with them on chirstmas day!

i think the demand is huge so there could be supply issues

having said that i will send an email to hopefully spark some life in it! waiting on my new phone at the moment so im in no rush to get it really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got one off eBay a while back.
    I have a HTC One with a magnet at the back, so the side magnet doesnt work.

Apparently u can get coper tape and run it from the side of the cardboard, inside and as long as it touches the screen it can be used instead of the magnet.

So I got some copper tape to try it but even though I have it making contact with the screen, its not working. I cut the tape into strips and put them on top of each other to try maintain the circuit. Does anyone know if this will break the circuit or should this still work?

blocparty wrote: »
    the race is on then! im 5 weeks in to my wait and it still says processing :eek:

Mine has arrived! I will let you know how I get on with it once I have a chance to play.

I got mine aswell but only had a 4.5" screen to try it on and couldn't get the magnet to work so not a great test, trying again this weekend with a 5.5" phone but I think you're supposed to be using 5.0"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Size doesn't matter....

On a related note, I've a HTC One M7 which has the magnet on the wrong side to use the built in magnet buttn.
    I saw someone using copper tape to remedy this, but I wasn't able to get it working.
    Does anyone have a better workaround? Cheers

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    I bought off the indiegogo scammers using my visa debit card. Is there any way of getting my money back?
    Yeah I had ordered one and forgot about it. Just finding out now that it was a scam. I'm really sorry for posting the link now. I've backed plenty of other projects before but never got scammed. I hope I can get my money back
    Woohoo, just got a letter from AIB today saying they'll refund my Mastercard the €23 in the next 28 days :D

Took their time but fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

anywhere in Dublin city selling Google Cardboard (V2) ? I know its possible to get from Amazon etc but wondered if there's someplace where I could walk in and buy

Advertisement