Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the church spoken about the banks?

• 28-08-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

The church seems to be cracking it's knuckles, preparing to support the pro-lifers and defend a man's right to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her body. As a man, I don't deserve this right.

Anyway. I'm wondering if anyone remembers the church attacking the greed which brought our economy to it's knees?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. -- Luke 6:24

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. -- James 5:1

Should the church not warn the rich of their impending doom? What would jesus think of the greed which created poverty for christians worldwide? I suppose it's hypocritical for the vatican to preach humility and ethics from a jewel encrusted throne, surrounded by vast riches. Not to mention the church aiding and abetting child rapists.

It's no surprise that they will be vocal on abortion, but, can they not voice their opinion on greed and global warming? They're far too concerned with gay rights and women's bodies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They've said plenty about their own bank. Well, mostly "Leave it the f*ck alone, you didn't see nuthin' right?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The church seems to be cracking it's knuckles, preparing to support the pro-lifers and defend a man's right to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her body. As a man, I don't deserve this right.

Anyway. I'm wondering if anyone remembers the church attacking the greed which brought our economy to it's knees?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. -- Luke 6:24

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. -- James 5:1

Should the church not warn the rich of their impending doom? What would jesus think of the greed which created poverty for christians worldwide? I suppose it's hypocritical for the vatican to preach humility and ethics from a jewel encrusted throne, surrounded by vast riches. Not to mention the church aiding and abetting child rapists.

It's no surprise that they will be vocal on abortion, but, can they not voice their opinion on greed and global warming? They're far too concerned with gay rights and women's bodies.

They are just sticking with their "core competency".

The irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Sarky wrote: »
    They've said plenty about their own bank. Well, mostly "Leave it the f*ck alone, you didn't see nuthin' right?"

'That money was just resting in our account'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, AFAIR in the Jesuit magazine "America", their were numerous article critising Wall st. and promoting Social justice cause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Manach wrote: »
    [...] promoting Social justice cause.
    Ratzinger did say a few things about the economic/banking/debt crisis, but they were a bit woolly. Apart from them, the Vatican has remained fairly silent about it all, and following its reaction to the US nuns, I don't believe that what most of us refer to as "social justice" is very high up their list of priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Vatican supports the Globalisation of the banks instead of speaking out against it.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/vatican-calls-for-a-central-world-bank/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It depends on what you mean by church but here's a quick look at where some church leaders have dealt with the topic:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sentamu#Financial_crisis
    http://www.eauk.org/_lifebeyonddebt/
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7634641.stm

I've heard churches speak on the subject of materialism on many many occasions. Mostly in the context of determining what do you follow as Lord? Wealth, or God? Of course you can erect other things as idols in your life too. At church I've heard this quite a few times even in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

From 2008 :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/07/religion.creditcrunch
    Pope Benedict has passed his own judgement on the economic crisis, suggesting that the global financial system is built "on sand".

"Whoever builds his life on this reality, on material things, on success ... builds (his house) on sand. Only the word of God is the foundation of all reality," he said yesterday, according to Reuters.

The pontiff added: ''We are now seeing, in the collapse of major banks, that money vanishes, it is nothing. All these things that appear to be real are in fact secondary. Only God's words are a solid reality'.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Really? God's word seemed to vanish pretty damn quickly when nuns decided that helping the poor was more important than demonising the gays. There was not a shred of virtue extended to any of the abuse victims that have been speaking up worldwide.

It's interesting that the Vatican's money also vanished when they were asked to pay retribution to those victims.

The pope is a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Usury (what banks do) is banned in the bible. Jesus apparently got very upset when he found moneylenders in a temple, and he felt obliged to kick their asses.
    Still, business is business. Banks and religions are both very good at squeezing a few quid out of the punters, so perhaps it was inevitable that they would eventually kiss and make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

jhegarty wrote: »

He said, wearing gilded robes on a gilded chair in a gilded hall in a gilded building in his own state.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sarky wrote: »

The Association of Legitimate Italian BusinessmenClerics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Roberto Calvi (13 April 1920–17 June 1982) was an Italian banker dubbed "God's Banker" by the press because of his close association with the Holy See. A native of Milan, Calvi was Chairman of Banco Ambrosiano, which collapsed in one of modern Italy's biggest political scandals. A source of enduring controversy, his death in London in June 1982 was ruled a murder after two coroner's inquests and an independent investigation. In Rome, in June 2007, five people were acquitted of the murder.

Claims have been made that factors in Calvi's death were the Vatican Bank, Banco Ambrosiano's main shareholder; the Mafia, which may have used Banco Ambrosiano for money laundering; and the Propaganda Due or P2 clandestine Masonic Lodge.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement