Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Irony is that most of their products are actually supplied by the big manufacturers (Hunky Dorys supply the Aldi crisps), so it's quite possible that the condoms could be from the likes of Durex. Not that Durex are likely to admit it...

The bottled water is Evian. Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    The bottled water is Evian. Apparently

Spell Evian backwards and then you have their customer's profile.

Parchment wrote: »
    Most of it - we used to shop in Lidl but i just found the veg/fruit to be of poor quality. The frozen stuff was ok but my other half refused to buy meat there, the cereals were gack.

I wouldnt put any of the shower gels etc near my skin - they are all very fragranced. The cleaning stuff was ok.

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Bought a box of mandarins in Lidl they were so bad I put thenm in the bin.

I've never experienced bad fruit or veg in Lidl. Quality has always been good.

Same for meats, bought lots of meats there too and there are good quality.

I don't get where people say they are inferior.

Think it's just snobbery to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

murpho999 wrote: »

My other half is a chef so im sure he knows what he is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The steaks in Lidl are excellent in my opinion, consistently so. But the stewing beef can be like shoe leather and only suitable for very slow cooking.
    The fish can be very bland.
    But the chickens are fine as long as they are not processed. Any processed chicken in lidl is muck, really poor quality.

And that is not me being a snob, it is just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

A lot of the fruit is so badly beaten in transit it is terrible when it gets home.
    Don't buy lemons and limes. If you compare a lime from Dunnes and one from Aldi/Lidl you'll see the difference. The aldi/lidl one has been frozen for so long it shrinks to a juiceless stone.
    I don't buy citrus fruits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jrop wrote: »
    I stopped buying Milk in Aldi recently. On a couple of ocassions despite being in the fridge all the time their milk went sour well before the use by date.

+1.

IMO too generous with the best before date in the first place. I was told by CS they've had plenty of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The bag for life, who wants a Lidl or Aldi bag for life.

The non snobby people :p

Winterlong wrote: »
    The steaks in Lidl are excellent in my opinion, consistently so. But the stewing beef can be like shoe leather and only suitable for very slow cooking.
    The fish can be very bland.
    But the chickens are fine as long as they are not processed. Any processed chicken in lidl is muck, really poor quality.

And that is not me being a snob, it is just my experience.

I find that with any processed food anywhere.

Always try to avoid processed food.

Also, isn't stewing meat meant to be for slow cooking so don't see the problem.

Parchment wrote: »
    My other half is a chef so im sure he knows what he is talking about.

Could be a bad chef though.

Can you not make your own mind up?

I have never experienced poor quality food in Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I find that with any processed food anywhere.

Always try to avoid processed food.

I have a terrible weakness for a Chicken kiev though...its a scourge on my diet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Could be a bad chef though.

Can you not make your own mind up?

I have never experienced poor quality food in Lidl.

I dont eat meat.

Im delighted you like Lidl, i dont.

A lot of the fruit is so badly beaten in transit it is terrible when it gets home.
    Don't buy lemons and limes. If you compare a lime from Dunnes and one from Aldi/Lidl you'll see the difference. The aldi/lidl one has been frozen for so long it shrinks to a juiceless stone.

So you think Dunnes grow their own do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Amazed people thing their meat isn't the same as other supermarkets!

(its also not really cheaper - its a very similar price)

Its all Irish!

I don't love their salad vegtables - no dates and dont taste fresh.

Fine for the root ones like potatoes/sweet potatoes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

^Their meat 100% tastes different to me. I can tell straight away when eating it (especially the beef mince) if it's from lidl/aldi vs Supervalu for example. There's way more fat and grisly bits. Not a fan.

I've also stopped buying their cooked chicken and other cooked meats. It was inedible the last time I bought it. And if you hope to eat half the packet and save the other half for the next day, it smells and tastes so bad. Not sure what they're adding to it.

Everything else I would buy there though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I stopped buying Milk in Aldi recently. On a couple of ocassions despite being in the fridge all the time their milk went sour well before the use by date.
    I've never had that problem with milk from Aldi, that I can recall.

I do wonder though if those open fronted fridges in many supermarkets could possibly keep the goods at cool enough temperatures and maybe that's part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Aldi cream crackers. Nothing wrong with the taste, but every one of them in the pack is always broken

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

byte wrote: »
    I've never had that problem with milk from Aldi, that I can recall.

I do wonder though if those open fronted fridges in many supermarkets could possibly keep the goods at cool enough temperatures and maybe that's part of the problem.

I thought the same thing but Milk from Dunnes and Tesco are stored in the same fridges yet no problems with their milk.

I still buy my weekly shop in Aldi.

byte

I thought the same thing but Milk from Dunnes and Tesco are stored in the same fridges yet no problems with their milk.

I still buy my weekly shop in Aldi.
    Maybe Aldi are being scabby and not having the fridge temp low enough to try save a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I find Aldi do the best Oranges, sold loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

It's a pity they don't do more loose veg. They only do packs of carrots and twice I've opened mine to find insects living in the bags. Also I don't like their bagged sweet potatoes. I prefer to bag mine up from loose as many times I've gotten ones in the prepacked net which are gone off. I also don't buy their meat but I don't buy that from any supermarket, I get that from my local butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dean_Kirwan

brown sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

Aldi cream crackers. Nothing wrong with the taste, but every one of them in the pack is always broken

Every single frickin time :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

fg1406 wrote: »
    It's a pity they don't do more loose veg. They only do packs of carrots and twice I've opened mine to find insects living in the bags. Also I don't like their bagged sweet potatoes. I prefer to bag mine up from loose as many times I've gotten ones in the prepacked net which are gone off. I also don't buy their meat but I don't buy that from any supermarket, I get that from my local butchers.

Both Aldi and Lidi have loose sweet potatoes.
    I usually don't buy them because they're huge, and the ones in the nets are smaller, but they do have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shenshen wrote: »
    Both Aldi and Lidi have loose sweet potatoes.
    I usually don't buy them because they're huge, and the ones in the nets are smaller, but they do have them.

Sometimes they have the small ones in nets. I do buy the large ones; a whole meal and two in one for me.

I have never had any that are off; you can look at the netted ones clearly.

I only get them when they are on the 49 cent offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I only buy veg in lidl if I'm going to use them immediately as I find they go bad very fast. Id agree with above, I'd love if they sold all their fruit and veg loose. It's not their fault that a lot of the imported fruit and veg is pure shìte, other counties are aware that ireland will accept the dregs of their crops so that's what they send here.

byte

Hah! Why is that? I wouldn't mind, but the packaging has a corrugated bit up one side to presumably help protect the damn things!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I only buy veg in lidl if I'm going to use them immediately as I find they go bad very fast. Id agree with above, I'd love if they sold all their fruit and veg loose. It's not their fault that a lot of the imported fruit and veg is pure shìte, other counties are aware that ireland will accept the dregs of their crops so that's what they send here.

Disagree. I have shopped at LIDL and ALDI for years and never had any go bad quickly.

The possible exception is the carrots in plastic bags and if you take them out of the plastic as soon as you get them home that does not happen. I think it is the power washing that causes that; and never a difference wherever you buy them .

Disagree also with your view on imports. What I see is high quality at fair prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I can't buy their version of Pringles. They are as tasteless as communion wafers

The Aldi Version of Doritos are divine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

learn_more wrote: »
    Anyway, I bet you can guess what my question is....

It's purely a trust issue.

Advertisement