Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Rising 2 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

NotorietyH wrote: »
    No you don't have
    In terms of the shambling, slow-moving zombies, Dead Rising captures it perfectly if you ask me and the first was basically Dawn of the Dead the game. Capturing the tone and sometime sense of monotony in mowing down endless zombies,

that movie is obvious video game fodder but i feel they've done the concept an injustice here. at least the monotony of dispatching zombies translates well from the film but via a build that feels like PS2 material its all the more monotonous - the missions timer, the load times between rooms and no autosave.. 'scuse if i fail to remember to visit a cubicle more than i'd typically need to :confused: the humour's lost on me.

apparently there's about 70hrs of gameplay here. great for those immersed but bad for those who would only feel compulsed to chop through it for a few hours / a bunch of trophies. its rare that i feel i'm wasting my time with a game when i could be doing something else, as i have too much time and little else to do. but i can't go back to this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Star Bingo wrote: »
    - the missions timer, the load times between rooms and no autosave.. 'scuse if i fail to remember to visit a cubicle more than i'd typically need to :confused: the humour's lost on me.

It's not load time between rooms, it's load times between massive areas that are populated with tonnes of zombies. I've never found the load times intrusive. Autosave would absolutely kill this game. When I said monotony I meant an enjoyable monotony of just hacking through tonnes of zombies to keep yourself amused. Autosave would just make it monotonous and take any tension or punishment for failure out of the game. It would completely kill the game. As would taking the timer off missions. Adding the timer adds a sense of tension and urgency and they're not compulsory either, that's what makes this game great, that by being in the right place at the right time you get to take part in a mission or rescue a survivor you may not have seen in other playthroughs.

You're basically saying that you find the game too monotonous, but what would fix it is if they made it more montonous by taking any challenge, difficulty, punishment for failure or incentive out of it.

If you don't like the game design fair enough, but pointing out the very things that make it a unique, hugely enjoyable and compulsive game for those who do love the game as flaws is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's not load time between rooms, it's load times between massive areas that are populated with tonnes of zombies. I've never found the load times intrusive. Autosave would absolutely kill this game. When I said monotony I meant an enjoyable monotony of just hacking through tonnes of zombies to keep yourself amused. Autosave would just make it monotonous and take any tension or punishment for failure out of the game. It would completely kill the game. As would taking the timer off missions. Adding the timer adds a sense of tension and urgency and they're not compulsory either, that's what makes this game great, that by being in the right place at the right time you get to take part in a mission or rescue a survivor you may not have seen in other playthroughs.

You're basically saying that you find the game too monotonous, but what would fix it is if they made it more montonous by taking any challenge, difficulty, punishment for failure or incentive out of it.

If you don't like the game design fair enough, but pointing out the very things that make it a unique, hugely enjoyable and compulsive game for those who do love the game as flaws is just plain wrong.

I have it two days and was thinking the auto save would be handy, but since you put it like that I agree.

Anyways, you get to kill Zeds with whatever is at hand, good training manual people :pac:

><

• Advertisement

had a shot there, was cruising around for a half hour with full health when i stumbled across a psycopath chef. he destroyed me - progress set back a half hour. must make more toilet trips :rolleyes: think i'm done. don't let me spoil yer enjoyment guys. and remember, frequent trips to the john

Again, +1 one on this..although I don't want to state my feelings on this game as I already have on the Xbox forums. Just finished CO-Op With Danteire for about 2 hours...best fun I have had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The Serv-bot mask is gonna haunt your dreams from now on :D

And auto-save would be horrible in this, what if it saved at a point where you hadn't enough time to complete a main story case? You either continue on and fail the storyline or have to restart. Its the whole "auto-save while you have no health/ammo" from FPS games situation...but with more zombies.

i agree the game's structure is not compatible with autosave, but maybe a prompt more often? the engine just feels dated n trophys are few and difficult to get. n the writing seems poor n somewhat juvenile.. still don't understand the 15 tag, under or over?!

some countries stores had midnight openings for this, combined with the multiple editions and their gimmicky toys it just struck me on playing as overly self-important and overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Argh could have done with a warning system if you were approaching and going to stumle upon Physco fights AAArcgh having to load between area when you are rushing to get to a mission before timer ends. AAArgh if the game was meant to be replayed over and over why make it so exhausting to watch load times........love the coop! Mind! pop goes the head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

had a shot there, was cruising around for a half hour with full health when i stumbled across a psycopath chef. he destroyed me - progress set back a half hour. must make more toilet trips :rolleyes: think i'm done. don't let me spoil yer enjoyment guys. and remember, frequent trips to the john

Be careful then i bumped into another one who was in the toilet, thinking i'll save it before hand, um no you can't. an hours play down the drain. Bumped into 3 psycho's so far and they've destroyed me. God i miss the roll\dodge in demons souls.

i agree the game's structure is not compatible with autosave, but maybe a prompt more often? the engine just feels dated n trophys are few and difficult to get. n the writing seems poor n somewhat juvenile.. still don't understand the 15 tag, under or over?!

some countries stores had midnight openings for this, combined with the multiple editions and their gimmicky toys it just struck me on playing as overly self-important and overrated

It's not the game's fault you're not saving enough, and the writing is intentionally cheesy and over the top. If I lose more than half an hour's worth of progress I just start the game over with a higher level so by the time I get back to where I was when I died I'm that bit stronger. It's kinda the point the game. It's a difficult game that does very little hand-holding, which to me is refreshing.

Just because you don't like the game doesn't mean it's suddenly over-rated or not a big release. It was a much anticipated game and people had been crying out for a Dead Rising sequel for years before it was finally announced. So yes, it does merit a big launch and special editions. Pretty much any big release is getting a special edition these days so...

The first game was built as a showcase for the 360 to show "Holy crap look at how many characters we can fit on screen at once!" and no was would it have been possible on, or even close on PS2, so that earlier dig at it doesn't hold water either. Just look at the Wii version of the original to see what it would've been like on PS2.

Also not directed just at you, but you can run away from the psychos. I have plenty of times when I was getting overwhelmed and just pegged it, and avoided that encounter until I've levelled up enough either in first or subsequent playthrough.

Again I don't deny that it's not a divisive game, it's just not for some people, but they aren't flaws. It's not a badly designed, or badly made game, quite the opposite actually. It's just not for you and that's fair enough, but it's very much for me, and for plenty of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Have to say im finding it very boring and monotonous too, im 3-4 hours in and all iv been doing is running back and forwards to the safe house rescuing survivors. The combined weapons are good fun but the novelty wears off quickly.

Regarding the mission timers, it feels like the game is telling you "ok, go get these guys, but hurry back! and NO you can’t stop to kill hoards of zombies along the way!", it kinda defeats the purpose of having zombies there in the first place if you can’t spend hours kicking the crap out of them :confused:

I may continue if I get the time but overall iv been disappointed so far!

CombatCow wrote: »
    Regarding the mission timers, it feels like the game is telling you "ok, go get these guys, but hurry back! and NO you can’t stop to kill hoards of zombies along the way!", it kinda defeats the purpose of having zombies there in the first place if you can’t spend hours kicking the crap out of them :confused:

Yes you can! That's what I've been saying. You can do whatever you want. There's no punishment for not rescuing survivors, there's no punishment for not completing the story. If you want to spend the 72 hour game-time just murdering zombies you can do that. If you want to just do the story missions you can do that, if you just want to rescue survivors you can do that. It's not a flaw in the game! It's the way the game is designed, you're not supposed to be able to rescue all survivors and complete the story mission on one playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

trophys are few and difficult to get

A little unfair to pick out one comment out of a list, but I like the fact that trophies need to actually be earned. Its a pet peeve of mine that you can get trophies in other games for doing nothing at all really. I know they are just bronze ones and suppoed to be easy but still a bit of work should be needed.

I haven't played this yet, I never got hugely into the original and used it as an occasional bit of killing zombie fun rather than doing missions. I'll probably wait till it goes on sale/comes down in price a bit before considering buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yes you can! That's what I've been saying. You can do whatever you want. There's no punishment for not rescuing survivors, there's no punishment for not completing the story. If you want to spend the 72 hour game-time just murdering zombies you can do that. If you want to just do the story missions you can do that, if you just want to rescue survivors you can do that. It's not a flaw in the game! It's the way the game is designed, you're not supposed to be able to rescue all survivors and complete the story mission on one playthrough.

But wont katie die if you dont give her the Zombrex every 24 hours ?

I still feel the way the game is presented reflects poorly on the ammount of freedom you have to make whatever choices you want.

CombatCow wrote: »
    But wont katie die if you dont give her the Zombrex every 24 hours ?

I still feel the way the game is presented reflects poorly on the ammount of freedom you have to make whatever choices you want.

Yeah she will die but you can choose to play on regardless, it's considered part of the main story.

I think the game is pretty good at telling you that you can approach the game in different ways, can't cite examples as I skipped through a lot of the tutorial screens being familiar with the first game. It certainly implies that the side quests are optional.

It's starting to seem like a lot of the criticism from people is that the game doesn't play itself. There's only so much hand-holding a game can do at the start without it becoming intrusive.

I restarted the campaign last night at one stage, and there's a mission early on that a character walks you to a restroom, tells you to use it frequently to save your game, and waits for you to do just that. I honestly don't know what more they could do to stress the importance of saving.

All you need to get into the game is have a bit of patience, which it seems a lot of people are lacking and blaming the game for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Anyone interested in cooping this game to the end, could be fun zombies smashing together

edit:joined a coop game last night and we were just messing around i comboed a bucket with a drill lol i thought it was brill how it killed the zombies lol loving it so far especially driving around in the pink tricycle lol funny

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I'm enjoying this game really liked the first and this is much the same. Only problem I had was when I started over again I couldn't use the square button anymore so I couldnt use any weapons and had to start from scratch again. I tried it a couple more times and same thing happened anyone else have this problem?

I'd be up for co oping with peeps. My ID is Finn MCcool,

• Advertisement

I'd be up for co oping with peeps. My ID is Finn MCcool,

Hi lad ill add you, ur name was actually recommended to me by scubadoo100 hes on ur list lol

tonydude wrote: »
    Hi lad ill add you, ur name was actually recommended to me by scubadoo100 hes on ur list lol

Oops, it's actually Finn-MCcool

ill resend it so lad. Im lvl25 now on case3-2 and have rescued all bar 2 people one of those people i killed lol, and have all side missions done.Lol the poker games are slow so might reload and avoid it and let those 3 survivors perish lol.:D

Finished it tonight with an S rank, level 39, 51 survivors and all but 2 psychos killed. Im very proud of myself lol. How did the rest of ye fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Finished it tonight with an S rank, level 39, 51 survivors and all but 2 psychos killed. Im very proud of myself lol. How did the rest of ye fare?

Gave katie first Zombrex havent played it since RUSE has ruined my life.

Finished it there myself tonight, restarted a fair few times so I was level 50 starting my last playthrough. Finished it once ignoring the story and just finished it tonight with an S rank and pretty much the same stats as tonydude. Going to go through it again, maybe not straight away, but going to try and pick up the last few psychos/survivors and combo cards, then maybe try to get the rest of the achievements.

Finished it there myself tonight, restarted a fair few times so I was level 50 starting my last playthrough. Finished it once ignoring the story and just finished it tonight with an S rank and pretty much the same stats as tonydude. Going to go through it again, maybe not straight away, but going to try and pick up the last few psychos/survivors and combo cards, then maybe try to get the rest of the achievements.

you aint been online much lad would you be up for the coop story trophy

you aint been online much lad would you be up for the coop story trophy

Have it on Xbox unfortunately, was goign to pick it up on PS3 'cause a buddy of mine picke dit up too, but with Case Zero, and Case West going 360 exclusive I had to pick it up on 360. Will prob pick it up later on down the line for PS3 tho I'd say to play some co-op with me buddy, so if yer still looking for a co-op playthrough a few montsh from now give a shout!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

S rank, lvl 33, 26 survivors, 10 psychos killed.

This playthrough I'm completely ignoring story and Katey, just doing rescues, killing zombies and psychos.

• Advertisement

if any1 is interested in the 8 survivors trophy let me know ive a save file with them and once u enter my game the trophy will pop up 4 u, good going Fingers, whats ur psn ? i thought i had u on my friends list.:confused:

Advertisement