Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates

• 24-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

been doing some freelance work lately and one thing I notice is that a lot of people tend to tell you to F**k off when you tell them what you want to charge per hour and your hourly rate.

Alternatively I feel as though sometimes charging for a whole project without the hindsight of okay i'm probably going to hit problems a + b + c may result in undercharging clients.

As such I thought i'd post a nice little poll seeing what people reckon rates should be about and would also like to hear from others about what is considered a good rate, or too cheap.

How Much To Charge Clients 5 votes

€25->€35
    0% 0 votes
    €35->€45
    20% 1 vote
    €45->€50
    80% 4 votes
    €50 +
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think a daily rate is actually better than an hourly rate even though it's multiples.

If your hourly rate is €50 then what would you get done in one hour? Whereas it sounds a though you could accomplish something to justify the rate in a day.

Hourly rates apply for jobs where you can get an output over a period of hours, like calling out a plumber to fix a leak but not for software development.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

As Jimmy says, if a project could take a matter of hours, then consider anywhere from 25 - 50 per hour. Otherwise, what would you like to earn each week, what bills do you have and do you pay into a pension/healthcare. Take all of that into consideration, then divide by 5 for a daily rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As such I thought i'd post a nice little poll seeing what people reckon rates should be about and would also like to hear from others about what is considered a good rate, or too cheap.

Rates for what? Are you farting around with someone's WordPress project or are you singlehandedly writing an ERP system for a Fortune 500 company?

Sorry Itzy, dividing your target weekly wage by 5 is probably the worst way to come up with a rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Graham wrote: »
    Rates for what? Are you farting around with someone's WordPress project or are you singlehandedly writing an ERP system for a Fortune 500 company?

Sorry Itzy, dividing your target weekly wage by 5 is probably the worst way to come up with a rate.

Just development rates, how much would you charge to sit at a screen programming up some design that someones brought to you or even designing it and then developing it from the ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just development rates, how much would you charge to sit at a screen programming up some design that someones brought to you or even designing it and then developing it from the ground up.

Rates differ depending on what you are developing and what skill set you have. If you're being asked to code something that any 3rd year student can do then you're not going to be charging anywhere near what someone with 10 years experience developing some complex crm system would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement