Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips and suggestions for weddings abroad

Options
  • 05-07-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Myself and my fiancé are in the early stages of planning our wedding abroad and are finding it a bit overwhelming, we have no location picked but are looking at Italy somewhere , however we are open to other locations. The idea is to have it by this time next year, so its getting tight now for time. It'll be a small wedding with immediate family and close friends, it'd be great to get some tips and suggestions , thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

I would also be interested in getting any general advice for starting out on planning a wedding abroad. At the moment i'm thinking Italy, South of France, Portugal or Croatia.

It will probably be summer 2017 as i'm not sure how much we could get organised in less than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From someone who's been to a wedding abroad I have one piece of advice.
    Pick somewhere where it is relatively easy and cheap to get to.
    Flying into somewhere and then having to drive for 3 hours through rush hour traffic takes the fun out of the experience.
    Somewhere with an airport nearby and the ability to book cheap flights in advance is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My only advice to you is,
    Give your guests plenty of notice so they can get time off and save up money for the trip and don't tell them you can make your Summer holiday out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Tell your guests you do not want them to give you any gift - weddings abroad should by default mean no gifts are given as it is so bloody expensive to attend one.

Do not tell guests that you are telling them in advance so that they can save up - tell them in advance but do not suggest saving. I've heard of so many self-absorbed bride and grooms expecting people to attend since they've been given 12 months notice "because they had that long to save". People should not be told to save up for someone else's wedding - they have far more important things to be spending their money on.

Expect some people to decline and don't get personally offended.

By the way, you cannot get married in France unless you have lived there for at least 30 days previously or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

We got married here:

http://www.tragliata.it/?lang=en

Can't recommend it highly enough. They'll look after pretty much everything for you, the food is the best I've ever eaten in my life, its just outside Rome but is still in the middle of beautiful countryside and they even let you stay a trial night where they let you sample the food etc. all for free before you choose to go through with it with them. If you want any more information PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I got married abroad (not Italy so can't help specifically).

I agree on giving people plenty of notice but not putting pressure on them, and also expecting that there will be some who can't go due to numerous reasons financial and otherwise (pregnancies, no work holidays etc).
    We thought ours would be quite small but ended up with 80. Once we sat down and did the list we were surprised at the numbers who wanted to go (but were delighted). It was probably more celtic tiger times, and we were the first of our friends to get married so friends weren't fed up of weddings yet :) We both have large families too.

I also agree with making it somewhere thats easy to get to. Where we were had about 4/5 flights per day in and out with Ryanair and Aer Lingus so there was plenty of choice for people, and then for accommodation there was everything from hostels to 5 star hotels. The flights meant people could come for 2 days or 7 days depending on what they wanted. I did up an accommodation list with a few details to put in with Save the Dates but didn't get involved with actually booking accommodation or flights for people - you'll have enough to think about the few days before the wedding without having people onto you about problems with booking or their accommodations etc.

I would be very much in favour of visiting wherever you decide on before booking anything. We saw a few places on our booking visit that looked fab online but were awful in real life. Try get a good recommended planner too. Ours was great - took all the stress out of the day and the build up. She was great for getting all the paperwork sorted too.

Finally take into account the time of year...... the middle of summer may be way too hot in some European places, and may be really expensive for guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

That's one of the reasons I recommend Il Borgo di Tragliata above. They look after everything from start to finish including sorting out accommodation for your guests. They actually have a beautiful little church literally two minutes walk from where the bride and groom stay. Also, although its close to Rome its location in the countryside makes you feel like you're the only people for miles around. As I said, I simply cannot recommend it highly enough and as many of our guests said at the time, who doesn't want to go to Rome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Please ensure you tell your guests that you do not want any gifts. The cost they are spending to attend your wedding should be their gift.

Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

sillysocks wrote: »
    I got married abroad (not Italy so can't help specifically).

I also agree with making it somewhere thats easy to get to. Where we were had about 4/5 flights per day in and out with Ryanair and Aer Lingus so there was plenty of choice for people, and then for accommodation there was everything from hostels to 5 star hotels. The flights meant people could come for 2 days or 7 days depending on what they wanted. I did up an accommodation list with a few details to put in with Save the Dates but didn't get involved with actually booking accommodation or flights for people - you'll have enough to think about the few days before the wedding without having people onto you about problems with booking or their accommodations etc.

Sillysocks do you mind sharing where this was? I would really like somewhere with a few flights per week so that there are lots of options available to everyone. I also need to keep in mind that for my family and friends Shannon or Cork airport would be the closest, whereas it would be Dublin for his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

sun_seeker wrote: »
    Sillysocks do you mind sharing where this was? I would really like somewhere with a few flights per week so that there are lots of options available to everyone. I also need to keep in mind that for my family and friends Shannon or Cork airport would be the closest, whereas it would be Dublin for his side.

Our venue was near Malaga - we also had some people using Shannon, and the flights from Malaga even in low season are really frequent. From Dublin there's usually 2/3 options per day at least depending on the time of year, and a few a week from Dublin. Our guests really made use of that - some only came for a weekend, some for 2 weeks and made it a holiday, but I know if we'd only had even say 2 flights a week where we were it would have cut down on our numbers as not everyone wanted to use up too many work holidays (understandably!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Definitely agree with others. Two close friends got married abroad. One was in Spain end September, it was still lovely weather but off season so much cheaper. Another friend got married end of July & so many couldn't go as the prices at high season are astronomical.
    Nerja is meant to be amazing for weddings.

Advertisement