Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help!!urgent marriage registration next week passport out of date!!!

• 02-08-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all... Really need some assurance!! we have out appointment to give notice for our marriage registration next week and I only just realised today that my passport has expired!!! Does anyone know will they accept driving licence until new passport issues?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Littlemiz123

Hi all... We have our meeting with registrar to give notice for our wedding next week and only realised today my passport has expired!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know will they accept driving licence until new passport is received ???
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 legalbride

Now, different offices might have their own rules but I rang my local office, which is Tullamore, to ask this and the answer was No, it has to be a passport.

When my husband and I went to give our notice of intent we didn't have passports OR birth certs! But we still went to give the notice because we wanted a certain date and time was against us. The lady registrar took all the rest of the documents and booked us in on our date but told us we had to come back with our passports and birth certs before we could proceed with the application.

So we did go back a few weeks later and it was on *that* appointment that we signed the declaration of no impediment and got the order of service and basically went through all the details of what we were committing to. The registrar asked us if we wanted to do any readings or music and told us that readings and music had to be non-religious.

So, you can go to the appointment to give notice and secure your date but you must be sure you will have your passport before your intended date. That was our situation anyway and it worked out for us. Best of luck!

legalbride wrote: »
    Now, different offices might have their own rules but I rang my local office, which is Tullamore, to ask this and the answer was No, it has to be a passport.

When my husband and I went to give our notice of intent we didn't have passports OR birth certs! But we still went to give the notice because we wanted a certain date and time was against us. The lady registrar took all the rest of the documents and booked us in on our date but told us we had to come back with our passports and birth certs before we could proceed with the application.

So we did go back a few weeks later and it was on *that* appointment that we signed the declaration of no impediment and got the order of service and basically went through all the details of what we were committing to. The registrar asked us if we wanted to do any readings or music and told us that readings and music had to be non-religious.

So, you can go to the appointment to give notice and secure your date but you must be sure you will have your passport before your intended date. That was our situation anyway and it worked out for us. Best of luck!

Hi legal bride ,
    Thanks so much for your message I've been going out of my mind with worry! The wedding is just slightly over 3 month requirement and terrified that they wouldn't accept our notification, we have everything else except my in date passport!!! Can I ask you how close to your wedding date did this happen?
    Thanks again for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Hi, we registered with 4 days to spare for our 3 months notice. We didn't have passports on the day, but we could process everything and just had to drop the passports in a few weeks later. Hope it goes as smoothly for you. Enjoy the preparations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Hi all... We have our meeting with registrar to give notice for our wedding next week and only realised today my passport has expired!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know will they accept driving licence until new passport is received ???
    Thanks

When is the wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Would assume so? Not everybody would have a passport so there must be an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

Thanks

I'm sure they would accept a drivers license, its an official form of photographic I.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 legalbride

Hi LittleMiz, happy to help. I know how stressful this can be, it was me back in March asking Boardsies similiar questions!

We went in to give notice on Friday, 28th of March and wanted to book the wedding date of Monday, 30th June. The registrar actually told us that if we'd left it one more day it would've been too late to get our date! The next date we could've given notice would've been Monday 31st of March, one day too late for a 30th of June wedding.

At that meeting we didn't have our birth certs or our passports. We had sent in our passport applications but hadn't got the passports back in time for our 28th of March meeting. The birth certs were with the passport office. But she booked our wedding in for the 30th of June and we could chose when we wanted the ceremony because there were no other weddings booked that day. She did tell us that she couldn't proceed with the application without passports and birth certs but that the date was saved. We were asked for the names and dates of birth of our two witnesses and got a reciept for the notification fee which was €200.

We went back with all the documents on Tuesday, 20th of May. Both of us needed original birth certs, passports, a document with our PPS numbers and we also had proof of address. I don't know if that was needed but we had it anyway. I also needed an Apostille stamp and a translation of my birth cert because I wasn't born in Ireland.

At that meeting the registrar went over our documents and took copies and then discussed with us the commitment we were making. She explained the legalities such as you can't be related, you have to be over 18 and you both have to freely consent to the marriage. And, obviously, neither of you can be already married. She went through the order of service with us and asked us if we wanted any readings or music. We also signed the declaration of no impediment and we got a printed confirmation each.

That was it then and the next time we saw her was on the wedding day. We didn't have to bring anything, she had the licence with her but we did get married in the registry office. If you are getting married in a different location the registrar might do things differently but they'll go over that with you so don't worry.

So there was no problem for us with not having all the documents at the first meeting, we didn't have them for a few weeks. I'd say go in with the expired passport and ask if you can drop back in with the renewed one when you get it. If you're lucky the two of you can sign the DoNI at the first meeting and then you can drop in the new passport on your own but I don't know for sure. If it was something minor you can usually do that. I hope I've answered your questions but if not feel free to ask whatever. If I can't help you another Boardsie might be able to. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and don't stress about the notification meeting. Especially if the two of you are Irish, it should be pretty straightforward.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    When is the wedding?

15 weeks!!!

Does anyone know can you ca up to the passport office to get passport renewed on same day without it being travel emergency
    Thanks again for all the advice girls , much appreciated

• Advertisement

mhairesa wrote: »
    Hi, we registered with 4 days to spare for our 3 months notice. We didn't have passports on the day, but we could process everything and just had to drop the passports in a few weeks later. Hope it goes as smoothly for you. Enjoy the preparations!

Hi mhairesa,
    Thanks for your message, Tuesday can't come quick enough so I can call the registrar to ask ! Can I ask was that recently this happened to you also?
    Thanks again

legalbride wrote: »
    Hi LittleMiz, happy to help. I know how stressful this can be, it was me back in March asking Boardsies similiar questions!

We went in to give notice on Friday, 28th of March and wanted to book the wedding date of Monday, 30th June. The registrar actually told us that if we'd left it one more day it would've been too late to get our date! The next date we could've given notice would've been Monday 31st of March, one day too late for a 30th of June wedding.

At that meeting we didn't have our birth certs or our passports. We had sent in our passport applications but hadn't got the passports back in time for our 28th of March meeting. The birth certs were with the passport office. But she booked our wedding in for the 30th of June and we could chose when we wanted the ceremony because there were no other weddings booked that day. She did tell us that she couldn't proceed with the application without passports and birth certs but that the date was saved. We were asked for the names and dates of birth of our two witnesses and got a reciept for the notification fee which was €200.

We went back with all the documents on Tuesday, 20th of May. Both of us needed original birth certs, passports, a document with our PPS numbers and we also had proof of address. I don't know if that was needed but we had it anyway. I also needed an Apostille stamp and a translation of my birth cert because I wasn't born in Ireland.

At that meeting the registrar went over our documents and took copies and then discussed with us the commitment we were making. She explained the legalities such as you can't be related, you have to be over 18 and you both have to freely consent to the marriage. And, obviously, neither of you can be already married. She went through the order of service with us and asked us if we wanted any readings or music. We also signed the declaration of no impediment and we got a printed confirmation each.

That was it then and the next time we saw her was on the wedding day. We didn't have to bring anything, she had the licence with her but we did get married in the registry office. If you are getting married in a different location the registrar might do things differently but they'll go over that with you so don't worry.

So there was no problem for us with not having all the documents at the first meeting, we didn't have them for a few weeks. I'd say go in with the expired passport and ask if you can drop back in with the renewed one when you get it. If you're lucky the two of you can sign the DoNI at the first meeting and then you can drop in the new passport on your own but I don't know for sure. If it was something minor you can usually do that. I hope I've answered your questions but if not feel free to ask whatever. If I can't help you another Boardsie might be able to. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and don't stress about the notification meeting. Especially if the two of you are Irish, it should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks again legal bride, i can't wait til Tuesday so I can check it with them.. Hopefully all will be ok, fingers crossed!
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does anyone know can you ca up to the passport office to get passport renewed on same day without it being travel emergency
    Thanks again for all the advice girls , much appreciated

No you can't. You have to use passport express and the average waiting time now is 13 working days

athtrasna wrote: »
    No you can't. You have to use passport express and the average waiting time now is 13 working days

Hi athtrasna, I figured as much, do you know if passport has expired is it treated as new application or renewal? Sorry prob seems stupid question but never happened me before and form doesn't mention anything about expired passports only new or lost/stolen ones!
    Thanks

Hi athtrasna, I figured as much, do you know if passport has expired is it treated as new application or renewal? Sorry prob seems stupid question but never happened me before and form doesn't mention anything about expired passports only new or lost/stolen ones!
    Thanks
    I'll call them to check on Tuesday but just want to have everything ready to send off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks

It's a renewal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Hi mhairesa,
    Thanks for your message, Tuesday can't come quick enough so I can call the registrar to ask ! Can I ask was that recently this happened to you also?
    Thanks again

Hi yeah it was April 7th just gone. I had read the website, thought it was just photo id and opted for drivers licence cause we were going on holiday over Easter and didn't want to risk a mislaid passport!

We actually dropped the passports in on the 30th of April. We got married in the church, so no registrar, but the woman was really nice and I get the impression we weren't the first to make that mistake.

No hassle at all (and I was a bit stressed because we only had 4 days to spare to register and were lucky to get an appointment in my husband's local office). Don't worry too much, it'll work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Hi guys, bumping this back up. Anyone know if the registrar only takes a utility bill as proof of address? Or can you provide a bank statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Hi guys, bumping this back up. Anyone know if the registrar only takes a utility bill as proof of address? Or can you provide a bank statement?

We done it in bray in may and i only had a utility bill with me as proof of address and they didn't even ask to look at it or even proof of PPS number

Oh brilliant, we're going to Bray too so happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Don't worry OP, you have plenty of time. Go in for your appointment with your expired passport, they'll take down all the details and proofs you have with you. The date of notice will be the date of that appointment.
    Then you can go and apply for your passport renewal, which will take a couple of weeks and is well within your wedding time-frame. Just go back with it again when you have.
    Although if I remember correctly they do need both of you there at the same time to sign the final paperwork at the office. It may be inconvenient for both of you to get time off to make the appointment at the same time twice, but it's better than losing precious time waiting for your passport replacement.
    Linka wrote: »
    I'm sure they would accept a drivers license, its an official form of photographic I.D.

It may be a valid form of ID, but for marriage application the document requirements are strictly and clearly spelt out on the HSE website. It must be a passport if you're Irish (as there's no ID cards yet). Unfortunately that means someone who doesn't have a passport needs to get one for a marriage application. I agree that it's daft, but them's the rules.
    Someone born abroad similarly and strictly requires an apostille stamp on their birth certificate (though I've heard rumours some have managed to get this dispensed with) whether it's inconvenient or difficult to get, even though this is not a requirement even for citizenship applications.

Ughhhh!!! Just noticed on the HSE website that we need our original birth certificates...my H2B ordered a certified copy and got that legalised in the UK as he's from the North. Any idea if that would be accepted?

Advertisement