Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

• 21-03-2014 3:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if there's a thread on this already - I haven't spotted one.

This is just a general chat thread for those of us getting married in 2015 :).

I'm engaged about 6 weeks now and I never imagined how tiring all the planning would be! We viewed about 6 different venues before narrowing it down to 2. We've only just confirmed our venue this week. We're currently looking at ceremony venues, celebrants, bands and photographers. I feel like I need a break from it all already! I'm loving it but I do nothing but think about the wedding!

How are the rest of you getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Its like you read my mind!! Must be faith haha.. Congrats to ye on the engagement and for finding a venue. I really did not think it would be so hard to get a great spot.

Sick of looking at places too, think we have been to about 6 and had more on the backlist. We picked a date and the venue we both love and all was great until the next day when the wine wore off and we were back to thinking are we mad, is it too much. Was again going to book it today but then two other venues came into play Aherlow House and Coolbawn Quay (after reading tripadvisor though I am put off these) so back to square one.

All I think about is wedding, save the dates, more wedding, when can I get started making things.. Oh yes a holiday indeed would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AMGC

I'm also getting married in 2015, cannot wait!! I'm engaged 10months now so I'm quite a bit further along, we have venue, church, priest, band, dj, photographer, church musician, car, hair and make up, florist and dress all sorted! I'm super excited and absolutely love planning it all, it is a bit consuming though I spend a lot of my time planning, thinking or talking about it, it's quite addictive really!!

Addictive that's the word for it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Smiley Lassie!

I'm also 2015! Can't wait for it now! Engaged 6 months so also have a lot done, have venue, church, priest, band, dj, car, photographer, videographer and church music picked (I think) but just have to book it! Hoping to have hair and makeup booked in the next month or so! Then I'm done till the dress shopping starts! Haven't picked a colour for bridesmaids yet so can't really sort flowers or any of that yet... plenty of time anyway! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's definitely addictive! Before we got engaged, I had a clear idea of how our wedding would be, and now that we're actually planning, it's totally different!
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Sick of looking at places too, think we have been to about 6 and had more on the backlist. We picked a date and the venue we both love and all was great until the next day when the wine wore off and we were back to thinking are we mad, is it too much. Was again going to book it today but then two other venues came into play Aherlow House and Coolbawn Quay (after reading tripadvisor though I am put off these) so back to square one.

We're spending more than I'd ideally like on a venue, but then we're really lucky because both sets of parents are helping us out. It still makes me go :eek: when I think of the final cost though! We found it exhausting looking at venues, and we were constantly doubting ourselves, so we just said 'Enough!' and sat down, drew up a pros and cons list of our finalists and just picked one. It's not exactly what I'd wanted, but I know it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congrats Ladies :) I'm a 2015 Bride too... infact this day next year is my big day!!! Just throwing that in there..

Been engaged since early October and so far I've changed my mind on the date once, changed my mind on the venue 3 times.. finally have a deposit down on a venue, church and Priest booked.. church flowers booked, dress picked and deposit paid on that and that's it really.. still have so much to do.

I have my Bridesmaids dresses picked, just need to get the girls' measurements and then I can order them.

I have a budget planner all done out in excel with all my potential vendors and their prices on it etc, so I'm organised in that respect, but I just need to get booking!!!!

And yes, it is addictive, once I start browsing cakes, flowers, colour themes etc, I get lost!! it's endless.. but so much fun :D

Jes well done to ye for having it al sorted already.. Im thinking will we go see Aherlow House or will we just leave it and go with the one we have in mind for it..

I can imagine once the venue is booked ill be like bing bing lets get to the next thing haha..

Where do you have in mind, Milly?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Haha, well I definitely feel like a slowpoke reading this thread.

Myself and the fella are engaged just over 3 years and only now getting our heads out of our arses and sorting the wedding :D
    We're aiming for April next year.

We're venue hunting this week, we've seen 3 so far and have one more to view on Sunday but think we've made up our mind already!

Nearly have our celebrant sorted then onto the rest.

I'm a bit freaked with how laid back I am, I feel really relaxed about everything! I don't feel normal :p

I've a friend who has been engaged since last November and has a wedding planner absolutely PACKED with things. She keeps asking me have we picked a band/colour scheme/dress etc. yet and telling us we better hurry up and get going and the two of us are like ah yeah, chill out, it'll all sort itself out!

We're only having a small ceremony and meal with about 25 people, then inviting the majority of guests for the after party so that takes a bit of the stress off.

Once everyone has a memorable and enjoyable day, that's me happy.

I am getting a bit giddy about finding my dress though. In case you guys didn't know, The White Room in Mullingar are having a sale from 4th-6th April. You have to make an appointment for Friday and Saturday but not for Sunday. They have a few lovely dresses on their site, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky!

Yay for 2015 brides!!! :D

Well done to you tread Softly, I suppose maybe the long engagement has you more relaxed. But well done and congrats on picking a date and all that goes.. You day sounds lovely, we would be have tempted to do that aswell with ours pending what we do now..

The place I suppose that we are stuck on is Blackwater Castle oh tis just lovely and has everything. Also like that I think we can decide to go small or big and with this that is possible we can invite however many we like. The other one that came up there aswell was Aherlow house in Tipperary. Must say for anyone looking they seem to have fab prices im wondering where the catch is. We might take a trip tomorrow maybe to see it and then choose..

Dress shopping I would think is a lot of fun. A lot of people say the one they pick is nothing like they would have thought they would like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hi all I'm a 2015 bride too. Have the venue, church and celebrant sorted so I feel like I have loads done.

I'm not too bothered about having a colour scheme, I think the bridesmaids will be in gold but even if they change the colours will still look pretty.

Anyone planning on doing lots of DIY? I think some of my family think I'm mad but to be honest I'm a little uncomfortable about being the centre of attention all day so I want there to be lots of things on the day that I can enjoy and seeing stuff I've made will make me happy.

@milly33 I've been to 2 weddings ln aherlow, my brothers and a good friend of my OH and the catch with the place is that it is very weather dependent. My brother got married in August on a lovely day and it was gorgeous. Our friends got married on a terrible day, torrential rain! It made a big difference especially as they had the ceremony there as well and they made us enter from the outside entrance and not the one you can access from within the hotel (where we were all taking cover from the rain) it meant we were inside for the drinks reception for the whole time and to be honest the bar isn't the nicest place. What sells aherlow is their setting but we saw none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Aherlow is also a bit of a pain to get to- it's one thing if everyone is going for the day, and staying there, but if youre inviting people for the evening, it's a pain for them to be traipsing out there at nine o clock!

Thank you so much Hayes!! your like my words of wisdom. We have never been to Aherlow ourselves it was just from the pics I was going by thinking we might pay a visit.. Very interesting now with the rain and the walk, as I went to a wedding and we kind of had to do the same, walk from the hotel to a marquee and it was a pain in the ass between muck, and wet and everything. We are planning for August so perhaps we might be blessed with a good day but still you don't want to take your chances. Suppose that is another thing going for the castle if we have to stay inside it is quirkly as such plenty of space even if you needed a breather from things... We would also be planning to have the ceremony in the same place so want a nice enough room for that.

Planning on doing lots of DIY too as you know, cant wait to start.. Things like the table arrangements and numbers if we need them, signs for the doors, little next day hangover kits, my mum is great we have lots of slate at home that we plan on making some signs from..

Thanks Jim too that would be something to take note of allright if people were coming to the afters,id nearly say if we had it there wed just invite everyone..

Milly I'm planning on using slate too. Going to make cheeseboards to serve the cake on. BIL is a tiler so he will cut it to size for me.

From what ive seen online blackwater castle is in a different league to aherlow. I looked it up when we were first planning but a marquee would have been our only option and that made it too expensive.

Had great fun yesterday making samples of my pew end flowers. Made lace covered hanging jars for holding flowers. Want something that can be prepared in advance as I'm doing my flowers myself. Have 2 hanging off my kitchen chairs now so I know they won't fall down at least!

were going to head down to take a look at Aherlow there see what the criac is.. Tis just their prices are really good and no hidden charges. Can I ask was the food nice there

The wedding I was at there didn't do the traditional meal, they had a shared antipasti starter which was nice but there's no cooking in that. Main course was roast chicken, It was fine but not amazing but that's roast chicken for you. Difficult to give a good opinion on their food based on the above.

Oh we called down today and mmm I wouldn't be madly impressed Way to much carpet there, and there was a bit of an odour around the place. Staff were loverly very friendly but no it is not a winner

Incase anyone is interested the Innishannon Hotel in Cork is having an open day on the 30th of March from 4 on. Lovely hotel and staff there

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We've been engaged since late last year but the only piece of planning we've really done is that I've got my dress. We are 90% sure that we'll come back to Ireland for our wedding, so we need to pick a good time to go home and look at venues. We'll be having either a civil or humanist ceremony so we need to get our arses in gear and book that! We need to do two venue-hunting trips - I'm from Dublin and himself is from Limerick so we'll be looking in both areas before we make a final decision.

We looked into some here in London but it's coming up at literally twice the price of getting married back home, plus way too much of this "ending at 11pm" lark we're seeing mentioned elsewhere. Also, with sterling being quite strong against the euro we have more spending power in Ireland too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I'm a 2015 bride too :) getting married in Feb. have venue, church and dress. Have everything else picked just need to get deposits paid now! Every time I go to pay something the car breaks or car tax or something!!!!

Doing loads of DIY myself! Do invitations, cake, brooch bouquet, signs .... Was thinking bout some of the flowers but then I don't know am i taking on too much!

Is anyone finding it hard to get a priest? We live in Dublin, I'm from here, and oh is from cork and we are getting married in Kinsale. But church told us we need to get a priest and finding it hard :(

Congrats to you all! Great thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

We're getting married in April 2015, all we have so far is the church and the venue. We got engaged in June 2013 but decided to leave off planning until January and now I'm away for 7 weeks so the wedding planning is on the back burner :) In one way that suits us 'cause I got so stressed looking at venues that I needed the break. I really didn't enjoy that experience at all but we got there in the end.

Before summer we want our photographer and band booked so we can relax again this summer.

Planning on doing some DIY stuff ourselves but we'll see how much I actually get around to doing in the end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I also got engaged about 6 weeks ago. I'm so excited and yet freaked out by all the things to be sorting. We haven't had much of a chance yet to organise anything but we've got our lists made so we'll start ticking them off very, very soon.
    So far, we want a small outdoor wedding (35 people!) in summer 2015. We're looking at a place in Kerry but nothing set in stone yet.
    SO EXCITING! =D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Thank you so much Hayes!! your like my words of wisdom. We have never been to Aherlow ourselves it was just from the pics I was going by thinking we might pay a visit.. Very interesting now with the rain and the walk, as I went to a wedding and we kind of had to do the same, walk from the hotel to a marquee and it was a pain in the ass between muck, and wet and everything. We are planning for August so perhaps we might be blessed with a good day but still you don't want to take your chances. Suppose that is another thing going for the castle if we have to stay inside it is quirkly as such plenty of space even if you needed a breather from things... We would also be planning to have the ceremony in the same place so want a nice enough room for that.

Planning on doing lots of DIY too as you know, cant wait to start.. Things like the table arrangements and numbers if we need them, signs for the doors, little next day hangover kits, my mum is great we have lots of slate at home that we plan on making some signs from..

Thanks Jim too that would be something to take note of allright if people were coming to the afters,id nearly say if we had it there wed just invite everyone..

Stayed there a few weeks ago and found it to be lovely, but very dated..

Is anyone else having nightmares about their big day???

I keep dreaming that it's my wedding day and it dawns on me that I have nothing done and I'm ringing around frantically trying to source a dress, hairdresser, makeup (not even a makeup artist.. I have NO makeup in the house) :eek:

:o

xzanti wrote: »
    Is anyone else having nightmares about their big day???

I keep dreaming that it's my wedding day and it dawns on me that I have nothing done and I'm ringing around frantically trying to source a dress, hairdresser, makeup (not even a makeup artist.. I have NO makeup in the house) :eek:

:o

I had one of those before we got engaged :D. It was the morning of the wedding and I realised I hadn't even bought my dress. It was horrible!

Thank God it's not just me :o

Wedding Terrors!! Ive been having dreams about how the venue is set up which is very annoying as we are not set on one just yet.God I suppose when it comes down to it on the day you cant do anything about stuff if you forget it so best take a deep breath and forget about it

Yeah Aherlow was very dated, such a shame as it could be very pretty. It was probably to do with the weather but the whole place smelt damp and there was no atmosphere.

Id say trying to find a priest would be hard alright when you aren't in the area, I think you have to get a letter of freedom aswell from your own parish is you are getting married in a different one..Might be something to check out just incase they say it last minute.

Doing the flowers yourself is a lot of work but if you do it the night before and can set up or have someone set them up for you,you would be surprised. A friend of mine getting married soon went to a few classes in a college to get some tips on how to arrange, and she has mad some lovely pieces..

Yeah Aherlow was very dated, such a shame as it could be very pretty. It was probably to do with the weather but the whole place smelt damp and there was no atmosphere.

There was nearly 8-9 years between the 2 wedding i attended in aherlow and i was surprised at how little had been updated in that time. It's a bit of a warren especially by the toilets near the bar. For the first wedding i was at there it had a shabby/chic feel, probably helped by the fact that it was a beautiful day and we were all on the terrace. When i went back last year i though it was not just a bit shabby!

I know the bride and groom who got married there last year teamed up with other couples and lobbied the hotel to repaint the reception room as apparently it was in a bad state.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

Hi Ladies!

I'm a 2015 bride too...engaged since November last year. I have my venue & celebrant booked for April. Just trying to sort out dress appointments at the moment, my head is melted...nobody will answer the phone!

I'd say I'll do a bit of DIY a bit closer to the time - trying to get the big things sorted before I start looking at those small bits, I'd get sucked in!

Anybody else feeling totally overwhelmed by how much there is to do?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mslady wrote: »
    Anybody else feeling totally overwhelmed by how much there is to do?!!!

Absolutely, and trying to plan at a distance only makes it worse! :eek:

Advertisement