Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal negative balance

• 30-07-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello,

At the end of may I sold virtual currency and an account in a MMORPG to the same person in 4 different trades. When I was away on holidays in mid June I noticed I have open disputes on paypal. The reason for the disputes was for unauthorised payment. I know for a fact though that the person with I sold the account and currency to used his own credit card because we talked about the trade and such for a while. Paypal let the person's credit card company investigate the case(they also charged me 80$ to investigate) and after a month or so the case went in his favour.

Now I have a 560$ negative balance on paypal. I just simply cannot afford to pay back that sum as I need the money for college. Also I find it highly unfair that I should repay the money when I lost the stuff I sold.

The question is what can paypal do if I refuse to pay? After researching online some people said they have had negative balance for years after which paypal simply just froze their account after giving up on contacting the person. Is there another way I can sort this out than just ignoring paypal's phone calls, letters and e-mails? Can their be some legal implications if I don't pay?In the US apparently they get debt collectors to get the money which also drives up the sum and includes a penalty fee. Could that happen in Ireland?

Please help I'm desperate!!Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JohnnyBoii

anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

You were scammed and Paypal doesn't cover virtual currency as it doesn't actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

JohnnyBoii wrote: »

The question is what can paypal do if I refuse to pay?

Paypal locked my account after my brother had a negative balance of about 100 euro on his! I was an authorised user of his credit card and his account but when i got my own credit card,i open my own account which i never had a problem with.

Then last Christmas (after 4-5 years of using it) they decided that i was "too dangerous to do business with" so i rang them and explained that what my brother owes has nothing to do with me! They said they would look in to it and give me an answer "within 2 days"...5 minutes after i hung up i got an email saying the ruling stood and my account would remain "limited" so i told them to stick their account and again i flat out refused to pay for my brothers debt. Ive heard nothing since.

I now people who have had similar experiences and they have opened new accounts and worked away. I too opened a new account just to see what would happen...its been a few months now and the new account is still there, i havent put in any credit card details because they would most probably match it up to my old account but all you have to do is get a new card (tell your bank you lost it or something) and it should work :)

I don't intend on using PayPAl again that's not what I worry about, what i'm worrying about is what happens if i dont pay the debt..Will i get court hearings or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

I don't intend on using PayPAl again that's not what I worry about, what i'm worrying about is what happens if i dont pay the debt..Will i get court hearings or what

It's possible if paypal decide to take futher proceedings to recover the loss, but don't worry about going to court it's not that bad. The $560 would get reduced to $150 or struck out by a judge if you planning on college and also after you explain your side of the story like above.

• Advertisement

Ok thank you, I tried to inquire with paypal about the person's credit card company so i contact them in relation with their investigation but paypal told me to hire a solicitor if i want to take legal proceedings and fnd out more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you want to put it right , you could sell online / eBay and pay the money back to PP .

Otherwise , if your conscience allows , you could follow the advice from sc-kevin above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Absolutely zero chance of Paypal issuing legal proceedings for a few dollars.

Just abandon the account and if needed set up a new one.

Advertisement