Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ rebranding tender

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »

Doubt it has anything to do with UTV. Hopefully they'll realise that they need a similar brand across all departments. How many fonts can one company use.

200px-RT%C3%89_One_2014.svg.png

250px-RT%C3%89_Two.svg.png

RT%C3%89_Sport_Logo.png

Rtenewsnowlogo.png

300px-RT%C3%89_News_and_Current_Affairs.svg.png

RT%C3%89_lyric_fm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

the fada on uppercase looks rubbish and curving it worse. Irish monks invented lower case. so:
    rté makes more sense than RTÉ

Also

Bunchló or any fake "gaelic" font is too twee
    So "Verdana" for everything.
    No DOGs at all ever.
    perspective map of Ireland with rté one etc under it as ident between channels.

There now can I get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

watty wrote: »
    the fada on uppercase looks rubbish and curving it worse. Irish monks invented lower case. so:
    rté makes more sense than RTÉ

Also

Bunchló or any fake "gaelic" font is too twee
    So "Verdana" for everything.
    No DOGs at all ever.
    perspective map of Ireland with rté one etc under it as ident between channels.

There now can I get paid?

RTÉ ONE doesn't use Verdana anymore.

I like the corporate logo TBH, I like the faux-gealic script (or the modernised Celtic script), though I prefer the 1966 logo and the 1970 Cross

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Some of RTÉ's branding inconsistency is mad. For example, RTÉ Online insists on using different logos for RTÉ News and RTÉ Sport to that actually used on air! They also insist on referring to the news bulletins as "One News" and "Nine News" when they have never been called that on air, they are actually "RTÉ News: One O'Clock" and "RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock" (and up until September 2003 they were "The One O'Clock News" and "the Nine O'Clock News").

They had a major project in September 2003 to remove branding inconsistencies and ensure the RTÉ name was in all of their channels (previously N2, 2FM, Lyric FM, and RnaG didn't even use the RTÉ name on air) but they haven't got rid of the inconsistencies. I'm also not sure why they would embark on a TV rebrand just after revamping RTÉ One with new presentation (well, they kept the idents but re-edited them) last month.

The actual RTÉ logo is brilliant, its a design classic and hasn't aged a bit in almost twenty years on air. Compare to the previous (1987) one which looked dated the moment it aired and was gone from all on-air material after eighteen months. It amazingly hung around as the corporate logo another seven years (possibly because they spent so much on it) but RTÉ always seemed embarrassed by it and practically never used it in any branding material.

My prediction on this one. RTÉ Two is going through one of its seven-year itches (it seems to happen once a rebrand has been on air long enough on the second channel that it seems to lose focus, hence RTE-2 became Network 2, Network 2 became N2 and N2 became RTÉ Two) and I'd imagine they will look at changing the brand again as part of a revitalisation of the channel. I don't think they'll actually go so far to remove the RTÉ brand again but they may look at the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Probably you or Elmo could do better than what ever they hire. My response was tongue in cheek as I think often Companies seem to spend millions on Junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

They desperately need a new brand identity. A uniform look that carries throughout all the channels but each one has an individual take on it so it stands out from the others, but feels familiar to be part of the family.

The current RTÉ ONE look (apart from the idents) looks fine, and if done in green and flipped horizontally would look grand for RTÉ TWO. Just give it a new logo and give ONE and TWO a new set of idents. TWO's are too out there and wacky, and ONE's are old and boring. Perhaps even changing them to RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2 would be an idea, and would certainly help the on screen graphics, which are too big and bright, take up less room as I highly doubt RTÉ will ever drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I liked RTE TWO when it was network two (N2) when Monday nights were comedy night, why cant they go back to the type of programs they had on then. Would a channel like E4 work for RTE TWO.

The Monday comedy night element has never completely gone away, the programmes between 21:00-23:00 tonight are comedies for instance. But a public service channel cannot rely on repeats or US programmes in prime time, its just not a good use of licence payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

This is a recession -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/RTE_Logo_1969.jpg

and

http://tvnews365.com/wp-content/uploads/rte-2.png

STOP WASTING LICENCE MONEY

Crap wrapped up with bells and whistles is still crap....

Prime example on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbNVm927FU

Lovely logo then you go ugghh - change the channel MARGE!

No more random RTÉ idents Andy454, they don't add anything to the argument. You might also avoid shouting in threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Official Ireland always seems to have periodic ants in its pants about rebranding. The present RTE logo is decent and it will be an annoyance if they decide to muck about with it. I fully agree that the 1987 corporate RTE logo was utterly hideous and should be the benchmark as to what bad design is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

From what I can see, it appears that they have finally updated the RTÉ ONE+1 DOG to match the RTÉ ONE DOG. It now uses the new font brought in the RTÉ ONE's refresh. Only took them, what, almost a full year to do!

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement