Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

guitar effects

Options
  • 29-01-2005 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

totally braindead when it comes to gear.

is there anything i could buy for say less than €150 that would give me some effects. nothing too fancy, just the basics i.e flange, distortion, phase etc.

also, what would be the easiest and cheapest way to record myself playing acoustic with vocals?

many thanks!

k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i have the Zoom505II and its fairly good. Has most of the major effects!

Never used any others. There are more elaborate ones but this does the job for messing about!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just be warned, low price range multi effects tend to be a bit dodge. Personally I'm a serapates man.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Jammer wrote:
    i have the Zoom505II and its fairly good. Has most of the major effects!

Dreadful pedal imo. I jsut didn't like mine.

Kraggy, if you could save up another €50 or so, the Pod II is only €200 on Thomann. That would definately do you. Sounds decent and it's fine for using gigging or whatever. Plus, if you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for cost locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

digitech RP50 has some nice stuff in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

bombidol wrote:
    digitech RP50 has some nice stuff in it

I've the RP100, and it sounds like muck, so I wouldn't recommend it. Unfortunatly, I'm at a loss to recommend anything as I just don't use pedals myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

get yourself a wah pedal

The RP series are ok for messing about with but the sound off them isn't great. Still think separates are the way to go. More expensive in the long run but generally far better quality.

I just noticed your second question about recording. A cheap and easy way to record is to use a mic plugged into your computer and use whatever recording software is at your disposal. Or a MD recorder. Doesn't sound great but perfect for recording demos and keeping track of ideas.

feylya wrote:
    Dreadful pedal imo. I jsut didn't like mine.

Kraggy, if you could save up another €50 or so, the Pod II is only €200 on Thomann. That would definately do you. Sounds decent and it's fine for using gigging or whatever. Plus, if you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for cost locally.

I got it in a place in town for €69, for educational purposes only, up until i used it i didnt know what flanger/chorus etc was. I think its ok, fairly easy to use and has a bit of everything on it. I never do gigs or record really so it does me :)

Starting to get a bit better/serious now, and i want to get seperates...what would be the best overdrive pedal at the min? pref. off thomann as im ordering some stuff from there this evening..

Boss DS-1.

(Or buy my Keeley style modded one...) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

get a second hand zoom 707 has everything you need.. i use a pc and a crappy little mic to record myself works fine... search the web for goldwave (thats a good little audio software package) if u can't find it gis a bell and i'll mail it to u

• Advertisement

don't get the zoom ffs.. why do people waste money on such ****e when they're just gonna replace it a few months down the line

why to people buy squiers for god sake, they should just go and buy a fender staright away, sure they'll just end up buying one anyway...not

what?

A zoom 707 is €155. A Pod II is €200. For the sake of €45, why not get an effects box that'll last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i have a zoom 707 years now and its still like new... don't use it any moremind but its still fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

I gigged with a 505 mk1 for 2 years. Twas grand. You get what you pay for, sure - but don't slate the 505. They're a grand little workhorse while you're still learning your sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hyungsup

Man separates just cost nearly the same as a multi-effector....
    Are they actually that good??
    And how did you get POD2 for 69euros??
    What do u mean buy educational purpose??
    So you can only use it when you are teaching someone??
    You can't use it when you are alone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I've the RP100, and it sounds like muck, so I wouldn't recommend it. Unfortunatly, I'm at a loss to recommend anything as I just don't use pedals myself.

Where did you get the power supply? i need one for a whammy... Would you sell it to me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

hyungsup wrote:
    Man separates just cost nearly the same as a multi-effector....
    Are they actually that good??
    And how did you get POD2 for 69euros??
    What do u mean buy educational purpose??
    So you can only use it when you are teaching someone??
    You can't use it when you are alone??

Yes seperates are the way to go. By educational, he means that you can learn lots about different types of effects without buying all seperates

Separates tend to have much wider variety of settings and options for the effects. Plus if one separate breaks you only lose one effect from your chain. And most importantly they tend to sound much nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

also, with seperates, theres usually one pedal for each. with multifx you'll find yourself tap dancing your way to whatever sound you're after. That said, I do have a multi-fx pedal. a korg ax100g. not great but it works. I only use crazy effects very sparingly so its only really used as a volume/reverb pedal. Cant remember what it cost.

Advertisement