Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Answer me this

• 28-01-2002 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

Ok, me a couple of the lads were watching Dennis Leary on video last week and we started this debate about Disney characters. Goofy in particular.
    It went like this.

Mickey and Minnie are mice.
    Donald, Uncle Scrooge, Huey, Dewey and Luey is a duck.
    Pluto is a Dog.
    Chip and Dale (rescue rangers) were chipmunks.
    Launchpad McQuack was duck.
    etc.

But can someone please tell me what the hell was Goofy?
    Personally i think he was cow or bovine of some sort, but others insisted that he was a dog.
    His head looks cow/bull like, but he has fingers, he worked in various jobs.

Can someone give me a definitive answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Still no definite answer but...

Is Goofy a dog?

This link seems to indicate he's a man!!? Or am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

lol

The person i was having the debate with showed me that link, and though it indicates that Goofy has many a human trait, it is inconclusive.

And the second link is a dead link....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

lol,never thought about that 1,strange when ya do though.
    Great,you got me thinkin now,thats gonna hurt in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

He looks like a dog now, but i remember seeing him in older cartoons with horns?? :confused: I don't know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

he was a dog ffs, had a kennel and liked the old bones too. DOG.

PROVE ME WRONG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

They have been discussing this since Goofy was fist created. They discussed it in Stand By Me. The truth is, well, Goofy is a cartoon character....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

DOG!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

goofy = slut = cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Niallmac

gotta be a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cartoon character. Like,whats a telly-tubby then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

telly tubbies are just plain Fucked up! :)

Hes not a dog and you'd agree with me if you read the link that the good Dr. Loon supplied.

He never had horns that was another character, actually i think i recall a comic called Disney Adventures that has goofy like character with horns, as is girlfriend. I'll check that one at the weekend when im at home.....

hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

The character whom we know today as Goofy first appeared six decades ago in Mickey's Revue (1932). Then a bit player (as an obnoxious "laugher" in a barnyard audience), he sported whiskers and square spectacles and was called Dippy Dawg

Um..dawg :)

Oh and that character with horns was someone else - I think you're thinking of the barnyard hoe down cartoon (The one where the little barnyard animal gets drunk in true disney style)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ok so what the hell was the name of the thing with the horns!!!???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Goofy doesn't have to be any animal.
    Goofy is just Goofy.

Think about all the strange characters in cartoons that just dont make sense. Cat-Dog for example. That show is just frightening, it scares the bejesus out of me. For fúck sake, its an animal that is half cat , half dog, it doesn't have a bottom so it can excrete waste, its got 2 brains, and each half talks to each other. VERY SCARY, Goofy is the least of your concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Pfft, of COURSE goofy is a dog :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hes an animaniac.
    he has pay or play contracts.
    he's zany to the max.
    theres boloney in his slacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yes, but is he totally insaney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's just a cartoon inconsistancy like in Sheep and Wolf. Ever notice how the Wolf in that cartoon looks the exact same as the coyote in Road Runner? Apparently their cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I think his gollem

but then again I think he could one of those balloon that was shaped like a dog and then became radioactive and became an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Goofy was conceived as a cartoon character based on a dog... and if you were to ask Disney what animal he was, what with Mickey being a mouse, Donald a duck (etc.) they'd probably concede that yes... he's a dog.

Seems strange that Pluto (Mickey's pet dog) was also Goofy's pet for a time.

A dog with a pet dog? Almost as strange as Stuart Little being a mouse with a pet cat.... /// ... eh.... nevermind.

What kind of animal are Wakko, Yakko and Dot in "Animaniacs"? ... now there's a ... er... question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I would like to present new evidence:

http://www.crapsharpeners.com/qotm/answers.asp?question=14

Advertisement