Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any boardsies watching Numb3rs?

• 02-11-2007 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭

well, any of you lot watch Numb3rs?

for those who don't know..

Numb3rs

Pretty much, its all about using maths/applied maths/etc to solve crime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

didn't it get canned halfway through the first season?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, its up to season 4 now. When its good, its very very good.
    However the good episodes are more sporadic at the moment.

The season 3 finale was excellent, but the resolution at the start of season 4, while well made (Val Kilmer was a great bad guy), came across as ridiculous (
    Double DOUBLE agent? Whaaa-a-a?
    )

I'm still watching though... most of the characters have a great chemistry, particularly the Epps, Amita and Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Watched it for a couple of weeks and all was going well til I realised that every episode follows the same pattern involving that nerdy professor (Charlie) who just talks so much jargon it's unreal. Basically each episode plays out as follows -

- Crime committed
    - Police have no leads
    - Charlie called in to apply some sort of ridiculous algorithm
    - Charlie's theories doubted by someone old school
    - Charlie's theories actually correct. Saves day.

Boring after a couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

still going strong indeed.. and S04E06 is being aired today.. woo \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh and can I just say Charlie Clousers ambient noise/music playing in the background for MOST of the episode, EVERY episode, gets really annoying...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Been a fan since its beginning. The maths is often a bit ridiculous and either uncovers the impossible or just finds out something that regular police work would have determined. You can quibble about it being formulaic but then pretty much all of these crime-solving shows are.

Nonetheless it's good fun and it's helped by having a very good set of characters - the actors, as noted, have real chemistry and the family aspect of the Epps is one of my favourite. Larry though often shines (IMO) - any character who describes their one true love using the concept of quantum entaglement deserves my admiration!

Recently:
    We had the whole triple-agent Colby. I actually bought that as a resolution as it was too difficult for me to reconcile him as a bad guy. I like how they dealt with his team's hurt feelings afterwards too

Still look forward to this each week, so may it continue for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The cast is great - I've been a fan of Rob Morrow since Northern Exposure so it's strange to see him in the serious policeman role. It's the kind of show I'd put on if I'm looking for something to watch but wouldn't go out of my way to record\follow etc as it is a bit formulaic.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

6 had/have it. Watched it every now and again when it was Numbers/My Name Is Earl but they have changed the times and they dont suit now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Watched it for a couple of weeks and all was going well til I realised that every episode follows the same pattern involving that nerdy professor (Charlie) who just talks so much jargon it's unreal. Basically each episode plays out as follows -

- Crime committed
    - Police have no leads
    - Charlie called in to apply some sort of ridiculous algorithm
    - Charlie's theories doubted by someone old school
    - Charlie's theories actually correct. Saves day.

Boring after a couple of episodes.

If you focus on the mechanics of it yes it is formulaic not unlike any number of TV shows or films for that matter. Numb3rs is a lot more than that as people have posted. The excellent cast and characters makes it watchable IMO. It allows it to explore a lot more layers than your usual cop show.

Advertisement