Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another RTE F*ck Up

• 02-07-2004 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

It looks like RTE have got the interlace field order the wrong way around on "Coulter and Company" - the movement looks jittery in exactly the way as would if you encoded a DVD from a DV source with the incorrect field order.

I've also noticed this with "Home and Away" - this might be explained if the field order for PAL B/H is different to PAL I....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

might as well be talking chinese :rolleyes: but i get the jist of it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    might as well be talking chinese :rolleyes: but i get the jist of it:
    DV is essentially 50 frames per second (25fps with two different fields for each frame), pairs of adjoining "frames" (fields) are interlaced together to make one frame. When the frame is shown on the tv, one field is drawn on the screen then the other. If the field order is wrong, you effectively take two step forwards and one back.

To visualise (using letters to represent fields grouped in pairs/frames), instead of:
    AB CD EF GH IJ

you have:
    BA DC FE HG JI

So while the overall motion is forward, it results in jittery movement...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

the real question is WTF were you doing watching that muck in the 1st place? Are you one of those people that appear in the audience in the Lyrics Board?

Advertisement