Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

• 30-11-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

This is a call to all boards members with Tralee connections to get a bit of a community spirit going like the good people of Listowel and Ballybunion who both have fantastic threads going.
    Lets get a Tralee one up and running!!!
    I have noticed alot of people start threads looking for information on Tralee. Perhaps this thread can be a central forum to help assist them with their queries.
    Im now based in Dublin but like to keep up to date with what is happening perhaps people based in Tralee can assist me and others based away through this thread.
    Your support in getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Fantastic Tom! As a Tralee head myself, I have been often tempted to get this one going, but wasn't sure of the support I'd have. I shall certainly contribute to this one if we can get it up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/nods encouragement.

The local specific threads here are a great example to all the regional fora.

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

So Tralee is looking to open the first Islamic school in Kerry. My how things change. If you told me even 10 years ago this would happen I would not have believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Maybe not entirely of interest to anyone but Austin Stacks have been relegated from County League Div 1 to 2. Interesting cos their close neighbours John Mitchels are in a relegation playoff with Dromid Pearses to stay Div 2 so there is an extra incentive to win for Mitchels.

Never knew bout the Islam school, lets hope there are no teddy bear naming incidents :).

Subscribed to this thread.

nellyshark wrote: »
    Maybe not entirely of interest to anyone but Austin Stacks have been relegated from County League Div 1 to 2. Interesting cos their close neighbours John Mitchels are in a relegation playoff with Dromid Pearses to stay Div 2 so there is an extra incentive to win for Mitchels.

Never knew bout the Islam school, lets hope there are no teddy bear naming incidents :).

Subscribed to this thread.

How the mighty have fallen :D
    Check out the below link and see division 5 where my old team Churchill have one game left this season. If they beat Moyvane in their last game then there will be a four way play-off for promotion to Div 4. Exciting times!
    I remember the days we used to look down our noses at Ardfert (See top of Div 1) :(
    http://kerry.gaa.ie/coleagues/2007/footballtables.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

Tomthepost wrote: »
    So Tralee is looking to open the first Islamic school in Kerry. My how things change. If you told me even 10 years ago this would happen I would not have believed it.

Yes Tom, times have changed in Tralee alright - and for the better it has to be said. I remember when the first asylum-seekers were earmarked for Tralee there was uproar

Yes Tom, times have changed in Tralee alright - and for the better it has to be said. I remember when the first asylum-seekers were earmarked for Tralee there was uproar

Back in those days if you saw a black person in Tralee you would expect to see a basketball in hand.
    Of course they all came in and as most people in certain parts of Tralee used to love to believe 'they got off at Farranfore Airport and were handed keys for a car'

Back in those days if you saw a black person in Tralee you would expect to see a basketball in hand.
    Of course they all came in and as most people in certain parts of Tralee used to love to believe 'they got off at Farranfore Airport and were handed keys for a car'

Well, either way most of them are behaving themselves now. There's a lovely young family from Estonia I think up in Manor West who have really integrated themselves into the community. Sure they had a new baby early this year and called him Paidi!

Yes and I know this nice Nigerian family in Spa Rd and they called daughter Siobhan. Siobhan Amokachi

Siobhan Amokachi
    :D:D
    Mitchels won their game so stay in Div 2, KOR lost Div 1 to an Gaeltacht.

Quick question for those in Tralee, does anybody know of any company that is hiring at the moment or in the immediate future for graduates. Also if anyone knows of any organisation etc that is looking for a website can u get them to contact me. Payment options are free or cheap :D, its all about the portfolio and I want to do "real" websites. [/questions]

Now one thing I have noticed on boards is that a number of ppl ask what to do in Tralee. Can we get some form of list going. Ill start:

New Omniplex
    AquaDome
    Golfing
    ??
    Running out of ideas!

• Advertisement

nellyshark wrote: »
    :D:D
    Mitchels won their game so stay in Div 2, KOR lost Div 1 to an Gaeltacht.

Quick question for those in Tralee, does anybody know of any company that is hiring at the moment or in the immediate future for graduates. Also if anyone knows of any organisation etc that is looking for a website can u get them to contact me. Payment options are free or cheap :D, its all about the portfolio and I want to do "real" websites. [/questions]

Now one thing I have noticed on boards is that a number of ppl ask what to do in Tralee. Can we get some form of list going. Ill start:

New Omniplex
    AquaDome
    Golfing
    ??
    Running out of ideas!

Mass??

Tinning Turnips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

New Omniplex
    AquaDome
    Golfing
    ??
    Running out of ideas![/QUOTE]

Siamsa Tire puts on plays and cultural/trad events frequently - check local papers for whats upcoming.
    The library and Kerry county museum often have exhibitions on.
    If you are into trad music check out Betty's Bar in Strand St or Seanogs in Bridge St.
    Also I heard a new niteclub opened at the back of Benners Hotel. this is in addition to Fabric or Horans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gwenivere

I heard that nightclub is open already haven't been but I was told it's called 'The Decon' and should be nice to give Fabric and Horans some competition.

As regards things to do, I would add shopping!! Tralee has some very good shopping nowadays dispite the fact that Marks & Spencers won't be joining us for some unreasonable reason....:confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Gwenivere wrote: »
    I heard that nightclub is open already haven't been but I was told it's called 'The Decon' and should be nice to give Fabric and Horans some competition.

As regards things to do, I would add shopping!! Tralee has some very good shopping nowadays dispite the fact that Marks & Spencers won't be joining us for some unreasonable reason....:confused::mad:

Yeah have heard good reports about the Deacon, must check it out at some stage. And yeah Tralee ain't bad when it comes to shopping, except I can see myself going to Killarney once M&S is opened there, what with New Look nearby too. They lost out big time when M&S changed their plans. Ah well.

milli wrote: »
    Yeah have heard good reports about the Deacon, must check it out at some stage. And yeah Tralee ain't bad when it comes to shopping, except I can see myself going to Killarney once M&S is opened there, what with New Look nearby too. They lost out big time when M&S changed their plans. Ah well.

I haven't heard good reports about the Deacon nightclub at all. Been to the pub good few times and really like it but anyone I know who has been to the nightclub has not liked it at all!

As for M&S, you can thank the town council for that, the town in general wanted it :(

440Hz wrote: »
    I haven't heard good reports about the Deacon nightclub at all. Been to the pub good few times and really like it but anyone I know who has been to the nightclub has not liked it at all!

As for M&S, you can thank the town council for that, the town in general wanted it :(

Hm your sources seem better informed than mine so I better stay away from the place!

Don't get me wrong the pub is great craic, really like it. My mates said the club is small and the music is awful apparently, heavy techno/dance stuff, which is fine if that's what you are after of course, but I don't see Fabric losing much business unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I heara good things about the deacon if you over 25, for the younger folks among us(like me) fabric and horans still seem the only way forward(untill we get ourselves the super abbey)

Patricide wrote: »
    I heara good things about the deacon if you over 25

Like me! Yeah, the crowd in the bar is great, and really lively for the late bar too. Cocktail waiter is a great hit too, full of all the tricks and shakes! Shame about the club, they could have done so much with it, maybe it will be up, early days yet and all that.

• Advertisement

440Hz wrote: »
    Like me! Yeah, the crowd in the bar is great, and really lively for the late bar too. Cocktail waiter is a great hit too, full of all the tricks and shakes! Shame about the club, they could have done so much with it, maybe it will be up, early days yet and all that.

Same here 440Hz, kinda feel old now that Patricide posted that! Thanks :rolleyes:

Cocktail waiter you say eh?! I'm having visions of Tom Cruise here..

Not far off it! This guy is hilarious, worth a visit just to see him in action, throwing the cocktail thing around his back and shaking his hips, great entertainment. Only bad thing is he won't make anything that is not on the menu, but there is enough of a selection to keep you going all night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭le_tigre

Spice World, on Castle Street, is a good place to get ethnic groceries from some nice people. You can buy five-pound bags of dried chili peppers, frozen parathas that'll make you swear off the Patak's naans you normally buy at Tesco and a wide variety of spices and sweets. There's some decent beer in the Castle off-license a little ways up the street - Fuller's, Newcastle and some Belgians among the usual array of eastern European lagers. There's the adult store in an alley off Rock Street; I haven't been inside, but I'm sure it'll scratch the itch. I mean, you don't leave Dublin for these things, but it's nice to know where they are. I like the Blasket well enough, but haven't found an old man bar to my liking in town, yet.

le_tigre wrote: »
    Spice World, on Castle Street, is a good place to get ethnic groceries from some nice people. You can buy five-pound bags of dried chili peppers, frozen parathas that'll make you swear off the Patak's naans you normally buy at Tesco and a wide variety of spices and sweets. There's some decent beer in the Castle off-license a little ways up the street - Fuller's, Newcastle and some Belgians among the usual array of eastern European lagers. There's the adult store in an alley off Rock Street; I haven't been inside, but I'm sure it'll scratch the itch. I mean, you don't leave Dublin for these things, but it's nice to know where they are. I like the Blasket well enough, but haven't found an old man bar to my liking in town, yet.
    Town and coutry is my fave "old man bar" the brogue is good too, both places put on the aul trad nights.

Also guys dont feel old, im just young.

Town and coutry is my fave "old man bar" the brogue is good too, both places put on the aul trad nights.

Also guys dont feel old, im just young.

Old man bars are Jessie Mccarthy's and I think it is called 'Quigleys' or 'Quinlans' down the Mall (only open until about 7pm) but serve super Guinness and features some of the real characters around the town.

Fav bars would be Baileys Corner and The Blasket

For footie fans The Huddle is a great sports bar. Has all the foregin channels so usual have 3 or 4 games on at any one time.

As for clubs :confused: Joans take-away for a large coleslaw and chips and home I would recommend. Tralee late night seems to be getting rougher and rougher.

Tralee late night seems to be getting rougher and rougher.

* nods head in agreement *

Deffinatly! Was talking to a guy working in mickos(aka supermacs) today and apparently a guy was thrown over the counter in a fight in the middle of the day. Whats this town coming to?

Deffinatly! Was talking to a guy working in mickos(aka supermacs) today and apparently a guy was thrown over the counter in a fight in the middle of the day. Whats this town coming to?

Hm ok remind me not to go there in future!! Out of curiosity when did Supermacs become Mickos?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed the name change at Christmas - Mick O'Dwyer was part owner of the Supermacs franchise in Tralee but they obviously decided to cut out the fee they pay Supermacs and run it themselves using Mick's name! Not sure I'm a fan of having a massive chipper in one of the town's most prominent sites - especially one called Micko's - think it cheapens the town centre. Full marks to the new Penneys across the road though - it's a very impressive building now - both inside and outside.

• Advertisement

Micko's! Its pretty tacky alright. Bring back the Allegro!!! Great real greasy chips. Legendary place.
    Can please remember all the chippers in the past where ABrekebabra is now located.
    Burgerland
    Bilkos
    Are Franks and Viva Burg still in operation?
    What is the chipper down near the brandon called these days? It went through a load of names over the years! LA Take-Away....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement