Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Weather Presenter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Spotted another new face on the late RTE weather just now. Didn't catch her name unfortunately. She seems to have a soft, midwest accent, which is refreshing to hear, but I'm biased. Her presentation style is relaxed and easy. :)

image.png

I think this lady is Michelle Dillon who presented an excellent talk at the Irish Met Society last year about aviation forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a quick google of Michelle Dillon and....well yea i wish she was presenting the weather on rte :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

You just can't beat Jean Byrne. She is the Rachel Riley of the weather scene. When she's on the telly, let's just say the temperature rises and there is a strong possibility of some moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

jungleman wrote: »
    You just can't beat Jean Byrne. She is the Rachel Riley of the weather scene. When she's on the telly, let's just say the temperature rises and there is a strong possibility of some moisture.

......and a slow-moving warm front...

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I think all of Met Éireann's presenters are very good, I am not a fan of the TV weather presenters. I consider Evelyn Cusack to be one of the most informative and best presenters. She has been compiling and presenting forecasts for many many years and has considerable experience and insight. I distinctly remember her gracious presentation during her supposedly last forecast at the time that RTÉ (Joe Mulholland) had decided to follow the silly weather presentation model of TG4. It was thankfully a decision that he lived to regret and subsequently reverse. After all, there is more to weather forecasting and presentation than just a pretty face.

• Advertisement

Maidhci wrote: »
    I think all of Met Éireann's presenters are very good, I am not a fan of the TV weather presenters. I consider Evelyn Cusack to be one of the most informative and best presenters. She has been compiling and presenting forecasts for many many years and has considerable experience and insight. I distinctly remember her gracious presentation during her supposedly last forecast at the time that RTÉ (Joe Mulholland) had decided to follow the silly weather presentation model of TG4. It was thankfully a decision that he lived to regret and subsequently reverse. After all, there is more to weather forecasting and presentation than just a pretty face.

Given the two mins. or so slot they get to work within, the Met. E presenters get in a lot of information and sometimes a little explanatory stuff on various weather phenomena as well, I think they do a great job, and for about 95% of the viewers, the information is both accurate and comprehensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Can't warm to that Donnelly woman at all, that stupid D4-mid-atlantic accent, the arm-waving, the 'pulses' of rain, and Christ, she looks severe - same as that other self-important creature Siobhan Ryan...I admire the BBC in how they're not afraid to bring on somebody with a Scottish, Welsh, Liverpool or whatever accent - Paddy presenters must lose whatever regional accent they mighjt have in order to 'progress'.
    I do love Jean's dulcet tones though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Can't warm to that Donnelly woman at all, that stupid D4-mid-atlantic accent, the arm-waving, the 'pulses' of rain, and Christ, she looks severe - same as that other self-important creature Siobhan Ryan...I admire the BBC in how they're not afraid to bring on somebody with a Scottish, Welsh, Liverpool or whatever accent - Paddy presenters must lose whatever regional accent they mighjt have in order to 'progress'.
    I do love Jean's dulcet tones though..

Haven't seen her on the telly but she must have a different voice to her radio one smile.png Love hearing her doing the 7:55 radio forecast. Always thought there was a touch of culchie in the accent biggrin.png Best voice of all the presenters. Maybe she's picked up a bit of Harm's accent tongue.png

Fair play to Siobhan for using the cupla focail Gaeilge on the 9.30pm forecast tonight. Nice little touch for the eve of St. Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

tippman1 wrote:
    Fair play to Siobhan for using the cupla focail Gaeilge on the 9.30pm forecast tonight. Nice little touch for the eve of St. Patrick's Day.

Oh she is very soothing alright !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna Donnelly on again this evening, very relaxed and gives a nice detailed forecast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I like her presenting style. Goes into good detail without descending into pointless and off putting technobabble, which is the mark of a good scientist and communicator. She's doesn't hold back on the stats either, which earns her an extra point from me. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Been reading a lot of feedback about Joanne Donnelly online and in newspapers(Indo).
    It has been almost 100% positive.
    She's a breath of fresh air.
    She's really professional.
    She is very relaxed.
    She's so friendly and knowledgable.
    Well, I'm sorry to rain on this parade, but I think she has the most distractingly squeaky voice, constantly tripping over her words, and she seems to be making it up as she goes along.
    She has the most casual attitude to presenting, bordering on the sloppy and the who gives a f*** if I don't get it right.
    My least favorite weather presenter on RTE.
    (or any channel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Siobhan Ryan (I think) just said County Mullingar.. I can just imagine the stick she will get for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think joanna is very good

her interest in the weather comes across well

big article in saturdays mail about her

RE fertility and weather and harm.

Shes apparently a weather nerd like us

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Joanna is excellent, the more professional meteorologists than media presenters on the forecasts the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Joanna is excellent, the more professional meteorologists than media presenters on the forecasts the better.

Doing an excellent informative job I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

She got slagged about her Co. Mullingar mention on the RTE Down On The Farm programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

She gave a very good forecast on the 7:55 forecast this morning. Explained in layman's terms about downdrafts. Very unusual for the rushed forecast at that time but nice to hear her go into the detail. The chirpiest voice on the radio biggrin.png despite the miserable forecast frown.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

That lady that presents the weather on Good Morning Britain, Laura Tobin, is really nice/good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Nice little tribute to Prince there tonight by Joanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Ilovelucy wrote:
    Nice little tribute to Prince there tonight by Joanna.

I seen the forecast but missed wat she said ... Wat did she say lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

im not lucy but she said

no rain....purple or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Aah ya I heard that but didn't cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

She doesn't just deliver a good forecast. She looks fantastic too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

Have to say that I am genuinely surprised by any authentic feedback on Joanna D that is encouraging. I find her manner of presenting the weather to be almost like a transition year student playing tv presenter in a amateur role play. She sounds like Bosco and seems completely on edge when on the air. She constantly stumbles all over the place with her start-stop, re-start sentences and seems to have real problems achieving the continuity required for a smooth presentation. When it comes to the weather, we really need a safe pair of hands for the six one or nine o'clock and JD is not even up to school girl league in my book. Nothing at all got to do with looks, it's just that she is clearly not even close to the best we have. Jean Byrne, Helen Curran, Audrey McGrath and Gerry Murphy are our current front bench people for the weather, so let's us them. Of course, in an ideal world we'd have Gerald Fleming back on six one. He was / is a natural and should be brought back to sort this crisis out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Jean Byrne, Helen Curran, Audrey McGrath and Gerry Murphy are our current front bench people for the weather, so let's us them.
    Helen Curran and Audrey McGrath are not meteorologists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have to say that I am genuinely surprised by any authentic feedback on Joanna D that is encouraging. I find her manner of presenting the weather to be almost like a transition year student playing tv presenter in a amateur role play. She sounds like Bosco and seems completely on edge when on the air. She constantly stumbles all over the place with her start-stop, re-start sentences and seems to have real problems achieving the continuity required for a smooth presentation. When it comes to the weather, we really need a safe pair of hands for the six one or nine o'clock and JD is not even up to school girl league in my book. Nothing at all got to do with looks, it's just that she is clearly not even close to the best we have. Jean Byrne, Helen Curran, Audrey McGrath and Gerry Murphy are our current front bench people for the weather, so let's us them. Of course, in an ideal world we'd have Gerald Fleming back on six one. He was / is a natural and should be brought back to sort this crisis out.

Couldn't disagree with this drivel anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

pad199207 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree with this drivel anymore

You "couldn't disagree"? So you do agree? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

My preference would be for the announcers to be meteorologists but if it is a choice between a meteorologist who simply, and quite obviously, cannot deliver the weather news in a competent fashion and a professional announcer who can carry the presentation in a clear and concise manner then I'll opt for the latter any day of the week.

Advertisement