Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ok well joined today , 23:9 wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hi guys, I'm imagining this place is going to get busy seeing as it is new year! :o I'm unable to commit to an evening class due to our lifestyle (busy toddler, husband works away sometimes) so I'm loath to signing up to an SW class only for me to miss some which will just demotivate me! I'm going to sign up for the online course for 12 weeks, what would you recommend is a good day for me to weigh-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can I also ask a question? I didn't go the last two weeks when there was open weigh ins. I'd say I've used all my holidays. So would I be better rejoining and paying €18 or will I have to pay £9 for both weeks missed and €9 for this week so it's €18 or €27.
    I've fallen off the wagon completely in December. Major on plan from Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Can I also ask a question? I didn't go the last two weeks when there was open weigh ins. I'd say I've used all my holidays. So would I be better rejoining and paying €18 or will I have to pay £9 for both weeks missed and €9 for this week so it's €18 or €27.
    I've fallen off the wagon completely in December. Major on plan from Monday!

if no holidays its €18 no more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

Just joined Slimming World online.... The new year is the motivating factor for me, and I have read a lot of posts on this thread which make me think slimming world is the right plan for me :)

One of the things I hate about dieting is the hunger. I cannot function if I am hungry and I get so cranky but hunger doesn't appear to be an issue with slimming world!

Hopefully this will lead me to eating healthier and I can come here if I am struggling to read about the motivating stories from everyone else :)

• Advertisement

if no holidays its €18 no more than that

Thanks for that. It'd be my own fault and no one else's as I was too lazy and too busy eating if i had to pay the €27!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Merkin wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm imagining this place is going to get busy seeing as it is new year! :o I'm unable to commit to an evening class due to our lifestyle (busy toddler, husband works away sometimes) so I'm loath to signing up to an SW class only for me to miss some which will just demotivate me! I'm going to sign up for the online course for 12 weeks, what would you recommend is a good day for me to weigh-in?

I quite like Wednesdays, Monday means you're weighing right after the weekend which isn't always ideal! For some reason a mid-week weigh makes it all seem to go by a bit faster.

I'm feeling optimistic about 2016. I've been back on plan since yesterday and have already lost some of the holiday bloat, feels good man! I only have one weight related new year's resolution and that's to keep going to SW for the rest of the year. I know if I do that I'll be in a better position than if I didn't, target or not.

Thanks Dolbert! I actually signed up this afternoon so by default it makes Saturday my W/I day. I think it might be good as I'm notoriously bad at the weekends so having to be good for some of it may help. If it's not working I'll change it to midweek. Do you find it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks Dolbert! I actually signed up this afternoon so by default it makes Saturday my W/I day. I think it might be good as I'm notoriously bad at the weekends so having to be good for some of it may help. If it's not working I'll change it to midweek. Do you find it good?

Merkin I never stay for meetings as usually have my toddler. I just weigh and go. I have lost 17.5lbs in 7 weeks :)

Millem wrote: »
    Merkin I never stay for meetings as usually have my toddler. I just weigh and go. I have lost 17.5lbs in 7 weeks :)

OMG that is phemononal, what a brilliant achievement Millem! :) If you've any tips for someone starting SW I'd love to hear them!

• Advertisement

OMG that is phemononal, what a brilliant achievement Millem! :) If you've any tips for someone starting SW I'd love to hear them!

I am delighted merkin because I originally though maybe just lose a stone or 21lbs but now I am think I will lose another stone! tbh I have just cut out all crisps, choc, scones, biscuits, white bread etc etc. I am not even going down the syn route with them as its all or nothing with me!!

I make soup every 2 days for lunch but am eating normal dinners that I make my toddler but I am eating off a toddler bowl (pasta) or a toddler plate as I have no self control!!!! I am using fry light spray, just mashing potatoes as is etc.

I am eating loads of eggs, bananas, wafer thin ham, Muller light yoghurts and crackerBreads. Haven't been drinking the water of recent times as only had two toilets working in work for 80+ staff :eek:eek: but will defo start again next week.

I do think weight loss will be slower now as I would say I am less than a size 12 but not a 10 :) body shape has changed a bit though after the baby.

I did SW a few years ago for a few months and I also found having a big pot of soup on the go a great help as its filing and also a great way of getting lots of super free into you. I make a sublime brocolli soup, will send you on recipe if you like, it's seriously tasty!

I only have one weight related new year's resolution and that's to keep going to SW for the rest of the year. I know if I do that I'll be in a better position than if I didn't, target or not.[/quote]

I'm going to copy this as the same applies to me. I'll be much better off going to sw than not going

I did SW a few years ago for a few months and I also found having a big pot of soup on the go a great help as its filing and also a great way of getting lots of super free into you. I make a sublime brocolli soup, will send you on recipe if you like, it's seriously tasty!

Yes please merkin would love the recipe! I am not a lover of fruit or veg so soup is the only way I get my speed or whatever it's called!!!!

I'll also make that soup. I've just finished the healthiest food shop ever!! I feel so sluggish and I can definitely feel the extra pounds (half a stone at a guess) in my clothes😢

Of course, no problem! I've actually just made a pot, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I even make it when I'm entertaining as it's just full of flavour!

Merkin's Virtuous Brocolli Soup

2-3 x medium onions
    1/2 bulb/4-5 cloves of garlic (I use a full bulb but I LOVE garlic)
    2 x heads of broccoli
    5/6 sticks celery
    1 x medium potato, peeled
    Swiss bouillon (about 2-3 litres) for big pot, just make sure veg is covered in stock but not swimming in it. I use the green Marigold one but if you don't have it, chicken stock is good too.

Soften onions and garlic, then toss all other ingredients in pan. Cover with stock. Light rolling boil for 30 mins. Cool a little and then blend. Blue cheese to taste when serving (not too many Syns as an optional tasty extra)! :)

Keeps for a few days. Enjoy xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

I'm planning on joining SW for the first time ever this week :)

Does anyone know if the magazine voucher for €9 off is still available/valid? I read something about it on Bargain Alerts - is it Woman magazine? Does anyone know if that issue is still on sale?

If anyone could tell me what to expect on my first ever meeting that would be brilliant! Are you given any brochures? Do you need to ring the instructor in advance and tell her you'll be coming along for your first meeting, or can you just "show up"? I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing... but feeling hopeful having flicked through this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

deex wrote: »
    I'm planning on joining SW for the first time ever this week :)

Does anyone know if the magazine voucher for €9 off is still available/valid? I read something about it on Bargain Alerts - is it Woman magazine? Does anyone know if that issue is still on sale?

If anyone could tell me what to expect on my first ever meeting that would be brilliant! Are you given any brochures? Do you need to ring the instructor in advance and tell her you'll be coming along for your first meeting, or can you just "show up"? I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing... but feeling hopeful having flicked through this thread :)

Hey! As far as I know the Mirror newspaper has a voucher in it today?
    There's no need to call the consultant in advance, when you get there make yourself known as a 'newbie' and there will be a new members talk where you will get your books, then the class starts and afterwards if you do decide to join then you pay and get weighed.
    Finally! Don't be too nervous, everyone does be very welcoming and the consultants are very good.

Joining was the best thing I ever did last April, I'm over 3 stone down and at my target, this was the first Christmas I didn't have to tell myself that I was going to be skinny the following Xmas!
    Good luck and any questions just ask here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yeah today's Mirror and this week's Woman (the one with Kate Middleton on the front, should be on sale til Tuesday) and I think next week's Bella - you'll see the Slimming World branding on the cover of the edition anyway.
    I was the one who said the voucher saves you €9 but actually I've just seen there that it saves you €18 so that's twice as good :)
    Just turn up on time or a bit before, no need to ring consultant in advance. As far as I know there'll be a 'refresher' new members talk for all members in this week's classes too, for old hands like myself who need a reminder from time to time to keep us on track :D

That's right dee, there's a refresher this week.. We only had one a few weeks ago though so I think I'll be leaving early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Thanks very much guys... I appreciate it :)
    I'm really looking forward to Tuesday now, eek!

deex wrote: »
    Thanks very much guys... I appreciate it :)
    I'm really looking forward to Tuesday now, eek!

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

have a spare voucher if anyone is stuck, they can send me a pm to send an s.a.e, i just bought it for the recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

deex wrote:

I know its in one of the papers today and it'll probably be in different magazine's for the next week or 2 if last year is anything to go by, they really put a big push on this time of year.
    I didn't call my consultant before hand but if you want to double check times or just a chat any consultants I've met are very helpful.
    I haven't met a single person in group that wasn't bricking it walking through that door the first time but everybody is there for the same reason and know how difficult the first time is so if you can pluck up the courage to get through the door that first time everything will be fine ( it took me a few attempts to join but a year on and nearly 4 stone lighter I'm glad I did)
    When you go in you'll be asked to fill out a form then the consultant will go through the plan with you, if the group is starting then you'll be weighed after. Nobody will ever announce what weight you are, during group the consultant will announce how many pounds you have lost that week but if you don't want them to do that they won't no bother.
    Hope this helps and just ask if you have any more questions x

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

I am thinking of joining sliming world in Tullamore and I'm wondering if there is anyone on boards in the group. If there is do you know if the times on the website are correct?

I am wondering do you need to attend the same time session every week? The way I work some days I could make an early session and the next week it would have to be a later one.

Also can you attend different areas or does it need to be the same area?

leanonme wrote: »
    I am thinking of joining sliming world in Tullamore and I'm wondering if there is anyone on boards in the group. If there is do you know if the times on the website are correct?

I am wondering do you need to attend the same time session every week? The way I work some days I could make an early session and the next week it would have to be a later one.

Also can you attend different areas or does it need to be the same area?

Hi leanonme!
    I can't answer your question specifically for Tullamore but the website is generally up to date. Most groups have a Facebook page which should have the times listed periodically too, or you could give the consultant a text to double check (consultant name and number is listed next to the time and venue when you check the 'find a group' page by county).
    You don't have to attend the same session every week but it's nice to have a 'home group' that you'd check in with at least every few weeks - for me anyway, it was cool to keep up with other members and their progress!
    You can go to any group in the UK or Ireland as a 'visiting member', I've done it many times and it's interesting to see how other groups are run - my own group is my favourite so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Of course, no problem! I've actually just made a pot, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I even make it when I'm entertaining as it's just full of flavour!

Merkin's Virtuous Brocolli Soup

2-3 x medium onions
    1/2 bulb/4-5 cloves of garlic (I use a full bulb but I LOVE garlic)
    2 x heads of broccoli
    5/6 sticks celery
    1 x medium potato, peeled
    Swiss bouillon (about 2-3 litres) for big pot, just make sure veg is covered in stock but not swimming in it. I use the green Marigold one but if you don't have it, chicken stock is good too.

Soften onions and garlic, then toss all other ingredients in pan. Cover with stock. Light rolling boil for 30 mins. Cool a little and then blend. Blue cheese to taste when serving (not too many Syns as an optional tasty extra)! :)

Keeps for a few days. Enjoy xxx

I'm going to try this! Looks easy! Do you blend it at the end?

It says at the end of the recipe that you should blend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

dee_mc wrote: »
    It says at the end of the recipe that you should blend it :)

:eek:I'm such a dope!!!

• Advertisement

You do indeed, I had some for lunch today with some Ryvita multigrain, smoked ham and tomato and I was more than satisfied. Hope you enjoy it! :) Try and just cover the veg in stock to get a thickish consistency and then you can just thin it down to preference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement