Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Even if I'm never caught, it's still a money-making exercise to place speed-traps on wide safe roads while ignoring accident black spots.

I agree with you completely, and I hate nothing more than seeing a guard with a speed camera sitting on the Naas Road outside Kill for example in one of the safest stretches of roads in the country, but my point is that it is up to the motorists to ensure that they are wasting their time. We know that there will be speed cameras on these roads because they are telling us so. Noone can complain if they get caught on these roads. If they dont catch people speeding on a stretch of road and if its not making any money theyll soon get fed up with it and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

draffodx wrote: »
    Surely if 85% of cars are breaking the limit and there are no serious accidents or black spots on a stretch of road then it is a case that the speed limit is too low and not a reason to put a speed camera there?

surely the whole point of these cameras are safety and not money related... in which case there's nothing to worry about

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

OP's link is not working for me?

Will these be around at night time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

surely the whole point of these cameras are safety and not money related... in which case there's nothing to worry about

Actually I think the whole point of them are to feed the safety line to the general public who will take it hook line and sinker without any questions and keep the hippie "lets wrap everyone in wool" type happy while raking it in off motorists who appear to be the main source of funding for the government.
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Will these be around at night time?

Yes they have already been seen at night time and early morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

djimi wrote: »
    I agree with you completely, and I hate nothing more than seeing a guard with a speed camera sitting on the Naas Road outside Kill for example in one of the safest stretches of roads in the country, but my point is that it is up to the motorists to ensure that they are wasting their time. We know that there will be speed cameras on these roads because they are telling us so. Noone can complain if they get caught on these roads. If they dont catch people speeding on a stretch of road and if its not making any money theyll soon get fed up with it and go somewhere else.

I 100% agree with you and anyone saying that if you dont speed you have nothing to worry about.
    I don't get why people feel the need to wax lyrical as if they all have qualifications in road safety and traffic management about the speed limits and revenue generating camera locations.
    It's a law to obey the speed limit, just like the law that says you cannot break into people houses or punch someone in the face...
    I do however disagree about the N7 at kill being safe. Have a look down at all the black tyre lines from close calls all along this road particularly at Naas.
    I play traffic jam accordians far too often along this stretch of road due , it can be a nervous road to drive on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

To be fair, those complaining about the likes of the N11 and the N3, you now know that there will potentially be a camera on the road so its up to you to ensure that its not a money making exercise. I agree that their placement of speed cameras is going to be questionable at best, but when they tell you that there is likely to be a camera in an area you really cant complain if you get caught there.

FYP :) Oh, and I can complain if they are put in positions under false pretence's.
    Even if I'm never caught, it's still a money-making exercise to place speed-traps on wide safe roads while ignoring accident black spots.
    +1,000
    May I suggest you forgot to add.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

kwalshe wrote: »
    I 100% agree with you and anyone saying that if you dont speed you have nothing to worry about.
    I don't get why people feel the need to wax lyrical as if they all have qualifications in road safety and traffic management about the speed limits and revenue generating camera locations.
    It's a law to obey the speed limit, just like the law that says you cannot break into people houses or punch someone in the face...

Just so were clear, Im not one of the "if you dont speed you have nothing to worry about" high horse brigade. My point is that if someone tells you if you speed on a certain stretch of road and you get caught for speeding on that road then you have noone to blame but yourself.
    I do however disagree about the N7 at kill being safe. Have a look down at all the black tyre lines from close calls all along this road particularly at Naas.
    I play traffic jam accordians far too often along this stretch of road due , it can be a nervous road to drive on.

Not at 11pm at night its not. Maybe in the evening when the traffic is heavy its a bit dodgy, but that is not when you see a speed camera on that road. Often I have been coming home from Kill late at night and there is a guard sitting in the little garda layby at the end of the Kill exit ramp on the Naas Road with a camera. This is a stretch of road less than a mile from where the road becomes a 120kmph motorway. There is no other justification for that guard being there other than for collecting revenue; at that time of night I doubt youll find a safer stretch of road in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I've been hearing ads for these on the radio now. Saying they are coming in mid november, which could be anytime from this weekend on really.
    I thought these camera vans were to start going on the road this week or next week ? They have been parked on various parts of the Carrickmacross - Kingscourt rd and Carrickmacross - Dundalk rd now for the last week and a half.

Conor Faughnan, Director of Policy with AA Roadwatch, says a network of privately-operated speed cameras will be launched this coming Monday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1112/morningireland.html

Third link from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like the Garda website has crashed....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

See, everyone agrees that breaking into someone else house is bad, its a simple black and white example of right and wrong, whereas with speed limits its not that simple.

If 85% of cars travel at 100km/h on a road that has a limit of 80 km/h yet over a long period no major or fatal collisions occur then why is the limit 80 km/h as the road is obviously safe to drive on at 100km/h, this is fair enough if the 80 km/h is seen as a guide rather than a strict limit, however sticking a camera on this road can only be for revenue purposes as it has proven that its safe at 100km/h yet the camera will punish anyone driving at 100 km/h in the interests of "safety".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Back up.

The link is just the 'old' list of zones that have been available for some time. Presumably though the new cameras will be in a lot of these locations.

Looking at Cork, you have to laugh at some of the 'danger zones'. The whole South Ring is listed, despite Garda figures showing only one death in 10 years (and even that was a drugged up scumbag in a high speed pursuit with the Gardai), and this on a road with tens of thousands of cars travelling it every day. They list the motorway grade section of the Carrigtwohill - Dunkettle dual carriageway as a 'collision prone' zone; yet their figures show just 4 minor injuries in ten years - no fatalities, no serious injuries. Travelling this road every day I know damn well that most crashes on this road are in the morning rush hour in winter time and are caused by cars travelling too close to each other, not by speeding.

can't complain about some: the Mallow - Limerick road has a serious history of fatal crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

up to 85pc of vehicles are driven above the speed limit. "Up to"? Doesn't that mean from .00001% to 85%? So if one person drives over the limit they can declare it a black spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

You drive along some roads and you come around a bend to find the limit suddenly changes from 100 to 60 and even if you slam on the breaks you can't get down fast enough. You can bet the van will be 10 meters inside the 60 zone snapping away. If you know the road you will be OK but if you don't then you better get your wallet ready.

Anyway I thought they are supposed to have put up signs warning you when you were entering a speed camera zone. I haven't seen one sign yet. If this goes live on Monday are they going to be very busy over the weekend or are they going to skim a little bit off the profits from this to put up signs in a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

galwaytt wrote: »
    May I suggest you forgot to add.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

too subtle :o
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

woody33 wrote: »
    up to 85pc of vehicles are driven above the speed limit. "Up to"? Doesn't that mean from .00001% to 85%? So if one person drives over the limit they can declare it a black spot.
    I remember when Black Spot meant that it was an area with increased chances of accidents due to unavoidable hazards.

Now its just a catchy phrased thrown about by people to try justify revenue creation.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

May I be the first to predict a dramatic increase in the number of road fatalities due to these cameras.

People will be glued to the speedometer, more than what they should be doing, ie, watching the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

'Era, put her up on the back wheel and drive on, no plate on the front of the bike anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

May I be the first to predict a dramatic increase in the number of road fatalities due to these cameras.
    Sure, and i'll take the other side of the bet and predict that fatalities for 2011 will be lower than for 2010.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sure, and i'll take the other side of the bet and predict that fatalities for 2011 will be lower than for 2010.:)

I probably shot my mouth off considering the dwindling amount of road users due to the recession.

I'd say we'll see a slow down in the rate of fall so. :D

That and these cameras will half the people off the road come the end of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

my mpg is 44 no because i'm driving slower, up from 39 for as long as i've had the car i wonder if that'll be across the board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I probably shot my mouth off considering the dwindling amount of road users due to the recession.

I'd say we'll see a slow down in the rate of fall so. :D

That and these cameras will half the people off the road come the end of next year.
    Seriously though, I don't like cameras either but I do acknowledge that they will make our roads safer. I think people (not aimed at you in particular) have great difficulty in accepting things they don't want to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Confirmed that new mobile speed cameras will go live this Monday:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mobile-speed-cameras-go-live-2417393.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Drive On

Seriously though, I don't like cameras either but I do acknowledge that they will make our roads safer. I think people (not aimed at you in particular) have great difficulty in accepting things they don't want to be true.

So this unmarked van sitting at the side of the road at 11:00 this morning is going to make our roads safer or save live's is it.

Pic's taken on the N51 near Rathmore between Athboy and Navan.

Second one I've seen in two day's around Navan. Both on 80 KPH sections of straight road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Listened to Conor Faughnan of the AA on morning Ireland this morning and according to him they, as in the AA and 2/3's of there membership are happy with the rollout of these cameras. Speaking personally if I or anybody else were now to get caught, considering the ease of finding out there locations we only have ourselves to blame.

As he stated the cameras are to be located at known blackspots for speed related incidents and those manning them are only on a fixed pay scale and not on commision.

I shall now sit back and wait for the usual tirade of .......... because some people, well can't bare to be wrong and admit they shoudn't have been speeding.

Drive On wrote: »
    So this unmarked van sitting at the side of the road at 11:00 this morning is going to make our roads safer or save live's is it.

Pic's taken on the N51 near Rathmore between Athboy and Navan.

Second one I've seen in two day's around Navan. Both on 80 KPH sections of straight road.

Is this within one of the Garda speed enforcement zones?

(www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590&Lang=1 - Garda website but it appears to be down)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Was it speeding? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    As he stated the cameras are to be located at known blackspots for speed related incidents

Translation: the safest roads they can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Be proactive, get on to your local TD about it.

Why would you contact a TD about a local issue ?

Is that not what county councillors are for ?

draffodx wrote: »
    Surely if 85% of cars are breaking the limit and there are no serious accidents or black spots on a stretch of road then it is a case that the speed limit is too low and not a reason to put a speed camera there?

Excellent point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Stinicker wrote: »
    Well at the moment Foreigners driving in Ireland who commit driving offences cannot have penalty points attached to their native driving licences eg. Lithuanian, German etc.

There is supposed to be a system coming in where the Penalty Points will be interchangeable between Irish and British licences due to the whole situation in Northern Ireland. So swapping an Irish licence for a British one would be ill advised.

European licences are all the same thus interchangeability between the states, I can go and swap mine in a European country and use it to drive in Ireland the same as all the Eastern Europeans who use their own licences here.

Any of EEA & EU state Citizens can exchange their driving licences for an Irish one and Ireland also has agreement with Australia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, South Africa, South Korea & Switzerland which will allow for eg. an Australian or Bulgarian coming over to Ireland can swap their native driving licence for an Irish one.

You do know that you have to be resident in the country that issues you a license ? You just cannot book a cheap ryanair flight and pick one up .

You also know that if you are living in Ireland on a long term or permanent basis that by law you have to have an Irish licence ?

Also you do know that driving isn't an automatic right ?

Not that I agree with speed cameras. there is no evidence that they work and they actually reduce focus on actual policing of roads. Speed cameras don't detect dangerous overtaking, driving without insurance, stupid behaviour or any of the other thousands of things that cause deaths on the roads.

The focus on speed is nothing more than a cop out. The single biggest factor in the reduction of road deaths seen over the last number of years is the improved road network.

Advertisement